• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

This and the past couple elections reaffirms for me that the New Hampshire primary is mostly useful for a contrary opinion on both sides.

It requires a special type of delusion to believe Clinton won't struggle against Trump. The evidence is there, so obvious to anyone actually watching what type of message the electorate is responding too.

She would be better off with any other candidate, specially Marco.

Why don't they ask in Democratic exit polls about the most important quality in a potential President: "Tells it like it is."
It requires a special type of delusion to believe Clinton won't struggle against Trump. The evidence is there so obvious to everyone actually watching what type of message the electorate is responding too.
A racist one?

Bowdz

Yup. Only thing I"m worried about is 2020.

True, but there are a few bright spots:
1. Winning 2016 will allow the Dems to get the SCOTUS sorted for a generation and there is nothing the GOP can do if the Dems take the Senate.
2. If Trump is the nominee, I guarantee that Cruz will run again and still be as toxic in 2020 as he is now.
3. If Rubio loses this year he has no career for at least two years (and as someone else pointed out, there is a long line of actually qualified GOP candidates for FL gov in 2018 who won't enjoy Rubio jumping them). Thus, Rubio will have one, uneventful Senate term as his resume.
4. Demographics will keep shifting in the Dems favor and if Trump is that nominee, Dems can tie anyone who endorses him (hello Nikki Haley!) to him, ruining the GOP's chances with latinos in 2020.

pigeon

Banned
A racist one?

Yeah, I mean, it's this.

As far as I can tell, everybody saying that Trump will beat Hillary is basically just saying that a significant majority of white people in America are racist.

I don't think this is true*.

* Okay, I do think it's true, but not that they like KNOW they're racist. Not enough to explicitly go out and vote for the racist candidate.

SCDemPrimaryPolls_QLT16DEMPRI.png

She lost two of these groups in other states. I'm assuming they break for her this time.
But it's amazing how different the perception of her is in SC and particularly among AA voters there.

It requires a special type of delusion to believe Clinton won't struggle against Trump. The evidence is there, so obvious to anyone actually watching what type of message the electorate is responding too.

She would be better off with any other candidate, specially Marco.

There is not a single data point that suggests Clinton will have a harder time against Trump over any other GOP candidate left in the field.

Iolo

<3 I was looking for that to post!

Rubio's tax returns have been released.

livin' paycheck to paycheck

Marco Rubio has released summaries of his last five years of tax filings, revealing him to be a candidate with a senator's steady annual income of $176,000 who reaped repeated windfalls from book deals.

During his first four years in the Senate, Rubio and his wife Jeanette together earned an average of $531,000 a year.

Since winning election to an office in Washington, Rubio's income has ranged from $276,059 to $938,963, and he has paid between $46,500 and $254,894 in federal income tax.

Why don't they ask in Democratic exit polls about the most important quality in a potential President: "Tells it like it is."
A racist one?

Anti-establishment anger. I don't think many of Trump supporters are with him *just* because they specially dislike Mexico and immigrants. it is myopic to believe that's what pushes his support (or Sanders support, which is similar but with compassionate, from the left solutions).

Kyosaiga

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhaXcBcpRxw

Rewatching this interview.

The Segment about Flint just made me notice something I didn't before. Hillary, during Benghazi hearings, during tough questions, hecklers, emails etc. she's always stone cold, refusing to react, controls her emotions...

But literally the MOMENT Rachel mentioned Flint by name, she had a reaction of disgust, and to me it was genuine.

That says a lot, to me personally.

Kusagari

She lost two of these groups in other states. I'm assuming they break for her this time.
But it's amazing how different the perception of her is in SC and particularly among AA voters there.

The perception is like that because of how AA voters are the majority.

Poll after poll shows them as the one group that overwhelmingly backs her on issues like most trustworthy.

I don't believe anyone thinks SC has a chance of going blue

Yes, but it wouldn't matter if Sanders would lose SC in a GE if HRC is going to also.

Primaries should only count if they are in blue states, the rest should be straw polls

Didn't say that. Tonight's is a party primary and SC gets a chance to pick who they want as the nominee, each state in the primaries should get a chance to have delegates sent to the convenience for their party.

pigeon

Banned
Anti-establishment anger. I don't think many of Trump supporters are with him *just* because they specially dislike Mexico and immigrants. it is myopic to believe that's what pushes his support (or Sanders support, which is similar but with compassionate, from the left solutions).

That's not really the point, though. Anybody who supports Trump is saying, pretty explicitly, "I don't think being an explicit racist is nearly as big a deal as X policy thing."

There are a lot of those people in the GOP base, but I just don't believe there are that many of those people in America.

ivysaur12

Banned
That's not really the point, though. Anybody who supports Trump is saying, pretty explicitly, "I don't think being an explicit racist is nearly as big a deal as X policy thing."

There are a lot of those people in the GOP base, but I just don't believe there are that many of those people in America.

Winning 40% of 35% is different than winning 51% of 100%.

Holmes

I've been saying all week that white voters opted for the GOP primary a week ago instead of this one. I should be a pundit on MSNBC.

Chris Matthews has just argued that essentially the only states that matter in this contest are Massachusetts and states that, interestingly, Bernie has the best chance.

Come the fuck on.

Iolo

Yes, but it wouldn't matter if Sanders would lose SC in a GE if HRC is going to also.

Didn't say that. Tonight's is a party primary and SC gets a chance to pick who they want as the nominee, each state in the primaries should get a chance to have delegates sent to the convenience for their party.

No one is suggesting either would win SC in the general, so I don't know how to read your comment, other than you don't think SC should count (or count less).

Setting aside the distinctly racist, misogynistic, bigoted subset of Trump's supporters; the rest of his support comes from people who are fine with someone openly racist and bigoted as their President, and it gets him to about 30-40% of the GOP electorate.

He's anathema to anyone who couldn't support that.

Meanwhile, I think "anti-establishment" sentiment on the left is grossly overstated.

No one is suggesting either would win SC in the general, so I don't know how to read your comment, other than you don't think SC should count (or count less).

Someone mentioned that Sanders would lose by 20% in SC, to bash on him. It doesn't matter how much he would lose by because the state is going to go red, especially in this year.

Iolo

The race doesn't end tonight but it provides a likely preview of Super Tuesday and whether the insane poll numbers in Georgia and Texas are real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom