• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hillary stayed too long in 2008 and Bernie might stay too long in 2016. He shouldn't stay in just because he still has money left. Give them to downticket races or something.

Oltsu

Banned
I've definitely read a lot of the more libertarian leaning conservatives on Twitter saying they will not be voting for Trump. People will respond to them saying that it will guarantee a Clinton win, and they say they are well aware of that. It definitely seems like Trump's support is really just the hardcore tea party and socially conservative republicans. We'll see, but there's some reason to be encouraged.

To the bolded, that's Cruz's base.

Rubio is for the neocons and donors.

Trump is moderates and working class republicans (with extra anti immigration fervor thrown in there).

There is a good reason for why Trump always looks and seems pretty awkward when he has to pander to the evangelicals (read: socially conservative voters).

A lot of pundits and sites have picked up on this but the Trump phenomenon seems to be coming from the same ideas that a lot of the recent European populist right wing parties are taking advantage of. And that's not the tea party nor the traditional GOP base.

Cerium

So if Hillary wins 60-40 and ends up winning the House for the Democrats (but not 60 Senate seats), would she nuke the filibuster?
That would be shortsighted. She wouldn't.

If I had more money available I'd double down on Sanders dropping out after Super Tuesday, but all my cash is tied up in other markets right now.

I wish American's, Democrats especially, would be more committed to ideas in the electoral process rather than investing so much in personalities. A healthy distrust of politicians would help with that, I think. Too much distrust would be unhealthy, though, because such a level of distrust breeds cynicism and disengagement from the political process.

eh? you think Clinton just won SC in a landslide (and will win the primary in general shortly) because people like personality over ideas? That's a VERY strange conclusion. The opposite is usually true with hillary.

As long as he keeps winning at least some states and getting donations, he should stay in - at least until Clinton clinches the nomination. He owes it to the people donating to him, at least. In 2008, Clinton stayed in until she was mathematically eliminated during a primary that was just as acrimonious as this one. Now, barring something completely out of left field, she is going to be the leader of the party and hopefully President. Sanders is too old to run again, but by continuing to do well with young people he demonstrates the popularity of his ideas going forward.

Clinton was far, FAR better funded with far more backing from the party establishment, and had the argument that Florida and Michigan (which she won but did not count) should be included.

Bernie has none of this. Continuing to run after a blowout on Tuesday is simply a waste of time.

That would be shortsighted. She wouldn't.

If I had more money available I'd double down on Sanders dropping out after Super Tuesday, but all my cash is tied up in other markets right now.

assuming democrats manage to win the house, nuking the filibuster is sound political strategy. With demographic changes making it increasingly implausible for republicans to carry the presidency, there's always the veto to fall back on to prevent poison bills promoted by a republican congress making it through. on the other hand, no filibuster (or weakening it significantly) means a lot more democratic legislation makes it through into law without all the bullshit.

Wall

eh? you think Clinton just won SC in a landslide (and will win the primary in general shortly) because people like personality over ideas? That's a VERY strange conclusion. The opposite is usually true with hillary.

I was making a general statement and not referring to any political contest in particular. Although I might direct your attention to what is happening on the Republican side.........

Why do you think turnout is always so much higher in years with Presidential elections than mid-terms?

Clinton was far, FAR better funded with far more backing from the party establishment, and had the argument that Florida and Michigan (which she won but did not count) should be included.

Bernie has none of this. Continuing to run after a blowout on Tuesday is simply a waste of time

Past a certain point it was clear Clinton wasn't going to win. In the end, the party was stronger because everyone had like they had their voices heard. It will be fine. Its not a big deal.

Do you really want to nuke the filibuster? I admit I hated the exploitation by the GOP during Obama's time, but what if in the near un-determined future, a GOP president tries to repeal Obamacare in a GOP controlled congress?

M0FId3T.jpg

Hahahaahaahaahaha

Teggy

To the bolded, that's Cruz's base.

Rubio is for the neocons and donors.

Trump is moderates and working class republicans (with extra anti immigration fervor thrown in there).

There is a good reason for why Trump always looks and seems pretty awkward when he has to pander to the evangelicals (read: socially conservative voters).

A lot of pundits and sites have picked up on this but the Trump phenomenon seems to be coming from the same ideas that a lot of the recent European populist right wing parties are taking advantage of. And that's not the tea party nor the traditional GOP base.

Yeah, I don't know exactly who is supporting him really, outside of racists and poor whites. Even the well-educated fiscally conservative/socially moderate people among my Facebook friends, who I would consider "moderate" and who hate Obama have already said they won't vote for Trump (they'll vote third party).

I was making a general statement and not referring to any political contest in particular. Although I might direct your attention to what is happening on the Republican side.........

you called out "democrats especially." why direct my attention to republicans now?

Why do you think turnout is always so much higher in years with Presidential elections than mid-terms?

because americans have an extremely poor understanding of the political process and what congress and their local representatives actually DO? its very well understood that most people assume congress has far LESS power than it actually does, and the president has far MORE power than he/she actually does.

Past a certain point it was clear Clinton wasn't going to win. In the end, the party was stronger because everyone had like they had their voices heard. It will be fine. Its not a big deal.

Not the point. The point was that hillary had at least a plausible path to the nomination as well as an argument (include FL and MI) that she should have been the nominee. had those two been included, she might have been the popular vote winner, and her argument was that superdelegates should support her because of that.

Not an argument that swayed most voters in the end, but it's far more than bernie has here.

Do you really want to nuke the filibuster? I admit I hated the exploitation by the GOP during Obama's time, but what if in the near un-determined future, a GOP president tries to repeal Obamacare in a GOP controlled congress?

Didn't Ryan already show that the GOP could do that even with the filibuster still in place?

I'm uncertain about whether or not I'd want to keep it or not though.

HylianTom

Banned
At the very least, I hope that the Senate Dems change the rules to make judicial filibusters speaking-only, with no blue slips as a blocking option either. If the GOP wants to obstruct, make them actually earn it; it's too easy to just threaten obstruction without any major effort.

Wall

The filibuster has no place in a modern government. There are already enough checks and balances built into our system of government as is. We don't need to invent a new one through abuse of a procedural rule. If there are enough votes in the House and Senate, the President signs off on it, and the Supreme Court doesn't overturn it, then a law should be allowed to pass and stand.

Monocle

This guy has real reason to be sad

Edward Snowden
‏@Snowden
2016: a choice between Donald Trump and Goldman Sachs.

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/703733273504018432
A choice between Goldman Sachs and regressive social policies, a right-leaning SCOTUS (possibly), the rolling back of most or all of Obama's progress, disastrous foreign policy SNAFUs, masturbatory military spending at the expense of education and health care and science, and the empowerment of racists, xenophobes, homophobes, sexists, religious extremists, and gun nuts nationwide.

Good call Snowbro.

At the very least modify it so that it isn't used to the point of insanity if possible. But the current method, nope.

Cerium

The filibuster has no place in a modern government. There are already enough checks and balances built into our system of government as is. We don't need to invent a new one through abuse of a procedural rule. If there are enough votes in the House and Senate, the President signs off on it, and the Supreme Court doesn't overturn it, then a law should be allowed to pass and stand.
The filibuster has allowed Democrats to stop some heinous shit in the past.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So if Hillary wins 60-40 and ends up winning the House for the Democrats (but not 60 Senate seats), would she nuke the filibuster?

Going by her general style, she'd probably find with some overly complicated middle of the road 3rd way that would somewhat get rid of the filibuster, but still keep it around in a roundabout and slightly more difficult to use fashion.

watershed

Banned
Snowden just sounds like he's aping Bernie's white male lens of seeing the country only from an economic perspective. And on top of that, I don't think there is a single issue where Bernie would be a more effective president than Hillary.

Teggy

They should just poach SE from CNN and have Compassionate Conservatism with SE Cupp. Or two initials one Cupp. Or The Fruit Salad of Their Lives starring Ben Carson. Ben Carson did have an underrated line this week when he said if their weren't terrorist among the Syrian refugees, then that would be Jihadist Malpractice.

She was already on MSNBC and they let her go. She was on that evening show with Toure and Krystal Ball.

Cupp is one of the more bearable conservative commentators (and I'm not embarrassed to share an alma mater with her, although I can't say the same for Ann Coulter), but her inane statement that she won't vote for an Atheist even though she is one herself will always be a huge strike against her.

This is kind of non-sequitur, but kind of curious why no one ever seems to even talk about Chelsea Manning, while Snowden is constantly brought up. Although I realise the former obviously isn't tweeting or whatever.

Snowden just sounds like he's aping Bernie's white male lens of seeing the country only from an economic perspective. And on top of that, I don't think there is a single issue where Bernie would be a more effective president than Hillary.
I sure can, but its beating a dead horse at this point

User1608

Banned
A choice between Goldman Sachs and regressive social policies, a right-leaning SCOTUS (possibly), the rolling back of most or all of Obama's progress, disastrous foreign policy SNAFUs, masturbatory military spending at the expense of education and health care and science, and the empowerment of racists, xenophobes, homophobes, sexists, religious extremists, and gun nuts nationwide.

Good call Snowbro.
Yeah, like I understand and don't hate what+why Snowden did what he did, but in this case, he's pretty wrong and shows how little he understands the vast difference between Hillary and Trump. That isn't to say Hillary doesn't have her negatives, because she absolutely does.

Cerium

Former CIA director: Armed forces would ignore Trump

“I would be incredibly concerned if a President Trump governed in a way that was consistent with the way that candidate Trump expressed during the campaign," Hayden said.

Maher brought up Trump's pledge to kill family members of Islamic State terrorists. “That never even occurred to you, right?” Maher deadpanned.

“God, no!” Hayden exclaimed. “Let me give you a punchline: If he were to order that once in government, the American armed forces would refuse to act.”

Maher responded incredulously, “What? Well, that’s quite a statement, sir.”

“You cannot—you are not committed, you are not required, in fact you’re required to not follow an unlawful order," Hayden replied. "That would be in violation of all the international laws of armed conflict.”

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Snowden probably just hates Hillary because Hillary thinks he should be under the jail and so his hate is understandable.

Especially understandable when she shouldn't be seeking his imprisonment in the firstplace.

His actions has become a guide for real legislation. There's no way to deny his role as a legitimate whistleblower.

She was already on MSNBC and they let her go. She was on that evening show with Toure and Krystal Ball.

Cupp is one of the more bearable conservative commentators (and I'm not embarrassed to share an alma mater with her, although I can't say the same for Ann Coulter), but her inane statement that she won't vote for an Atheist even though she is one herself will always be a huge strike against her.

She left MSNBC The Cycle for CNN Crossfire.

Wall

you called out "democrats especially." why direct my attention to republicans now?

I didn't "call anyone out." I care about Democrats because I am a Democrat. I directed your attention to the Republicans because their frontrunner currently is succeeding based entirely on his personality.

because americans have an extremely poor understanding of the political process and what congress and their local representatives actually DO? its very well understood that most people assume congress has far LESS power than it actually does, and the president has far MORE power than he/she actually does.

That's true. There are a lot of reasons for that, but a big one, I think, is that the President is one individual who people can focus on - the bully pulpit. Congress is a diffuse body of individuals, so its more of an abstract entity.

Not the point. The point was that hillary had at least a plausible path to the nomination as well as an argument (include FL and MI) that she should have been the nominee. had those two been included, she might have been the popular vote winner, and her argument was that superdelegates should support her because of that.

Not an argument that swayed most voters in the end, but it's far more than bernie has here.[/

Michigan and Florida were being penalized by the party, so those primaries weren't officially contested. There is no way of knowing what would have happened had they been contested. President Obama's name wasn't even on the ballot in Michigan.

I know this is one state blah, blah, blah...but there are some things Bernie's people should be worried about that they could try and do something about.

Do you trust Sanders to handle an international crisis?
44% Yes
54% No

(Hillary is at 88/10 on that question).

He lost every age group except for those 17-24...and by the time he got to older voters, she managed a 77 point margin.

The only group he won by race was white men. That was it.

He lost registered Democrats by 60 points.

He's also getting destroyed on the Healthcare question. His healthcare plan is not resonating. This has been the trend in Iowa and NV as well, I believe. I think he won that question in NH. They need to fix his plan or do something with it. Explain it or something.

Witnesses at the scene tell FOX 13 News' Robert Boyd police officers shot a 17-year-old teen who was involved in a fight with an older male, prompting an angry reaction from witnesses who felt they did not give the teen, who was reportedly wielding a broomstick, a chance to surrender.

"The police said, 'drop it' once, then they shot him four times," Selam Mohammed said. "We were trying to break it up before the police even came, but the police ran in on foot and pulled their guns out already, they already had them, like, as soon as he was running he was already grabbing for his gun, not even trying to Tase him or anything... He said 'Drop it' [then] 'boom, boom!' four times."

Good work tonight by Salt Lake City police, fucking fuck:

http://fox13now.com/2016/02/27/larg...rio-grande-district-after-report-of-shooting/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom