• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

The filibuster has no place in a modern government. There are already enough checks and balances built into our system of government as is. We don't need to invent a new one through abuse of a procedural rule. If there are enough votes in the House and Senate, the President signs off on it, and the Supreme Court doesn't overturn it, then a law should be allowed to pass and stand.

YES!!!

The filibuster is ruining our country. Makes it impossible to accomplish anything.

Both parties hide behind it to avoid following the will of their constituents. It only serves the forces that benefit most from gridlock (big business, millionaires and etc...)

shem935

Banned
You think Obama would pardon him before leaving office?

Why? He was in charge of going after him. The government can't ever pardon a whistle blower. They have to come down hard to discourage future acts of leaking on the scale of Snowden. The appropriate response is to rework whistle blowing laws so that something like what happened with Snowden can be handled while providing avenues for reform.

kirblar

The filibuster has no place in a modern government. There are already enough checks and balances built into our system of government as is. We don't need to invent a new one through abuse of a procedural rule. If there are enough votes in the House and Senate, the President signs off on it, and the Supreme Court doesn't overturn it, then a law should be allowed to pass and stand.
Correct. Two presidents so far have refused to kill it when they should have.

watershed

Banned
YES!!!

The filibuster is ruining our country. Makes it impossible to accomplish anything.

Both parties hide behind it to avoid following the will of their constituents. It only serves the forces that benefit most from gridlock (big business, millionaires and etc...)

Careful though, the filibuster is a two way street. There may well come a time when dems would need to filibuster to kill legislative action from a republican controlled congress, especially if there is a republican president waiting to sign it.

kirblar

Careful though, the filibuster is a two way street. There may well come a time when dems would need to filibuster to kill legislative action from a republican controlled congress, especially if there is a republican president waiting to sign it.
That's fine. It prevents forward progress of any type - things are stalled out, nothing changes.

Mr.Mike

Can filibusters actually stop anything? It seems like it'd just delay the inevitable, good or bad, and just waste a bunch of time.

rodvik

jgM5M6f.jpg

How many fonts sizes are on that thing?

Wall

Conservative forces, whether Southern Democrats in middle part of the century or Republicans today, have proven far more willing to use the filibuster than progressive/liberal forces have. From a purely partisan and ideological perspective, the filibuster has done far more harm than good.

From a practical perspective, it threatens to make the U.S. ungovernable.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
You think Obama would pardon him before leaving office?

I don't think there's any chance for Obama to pardon him, His administration's huge overfocus on secrecy is one of their biggest faults, and HIllary is sure to continue that.

Granted, a lot of that comes from legit concerns about Republicans using anything possible to blow up into a huge scandal, but that still doesn't exactly make it right.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I doubt it.

You'd better believe that Fox would be talking endlessly about how the endorsement leader had a "decisive advantage" in delegates, and how that gives them momentum, etc. And that does go a ways.

But... the reason why Trump is doing well is because the GOP has been hammering over and over and over that government==evil. And that everyone involved in it is out to screw you. And finally, that base went "yeah, and you're part of the government."

And now we have Trump.

I wonder if it's really that simple. The hypocrisy of telling everyone the problem is the government when you are the government has been pointed out countless times by liberals.

They kind of do. Colorado cancelled its Republican caucus this year and made all 37 of its delegates unpledged.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28700919/colorado-republicans-cancel-2016-presidential-caucus-vote

Wait, they can do that?
So, could a bunch of other states do the same to keep Trump out by not even having primaries or caucuses?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
At the very least, I hope that the Senate Dems change the rules to make judicial filibusters speaking-only, with no blue slips as a blocking option either. If the GOP wants to obstruct, make them actually earn it; it's too easy to just threaten obstruction without any major effort.
Yep, I'd agree with this. The filibuster needs to have a cost. The cheapening of that process has certainly been a major factor in its increased use.

She was already on MSNBC and they let her go. She was on that evening show with Toure and Krystal Ball.

Cupp is one of the more bearable conservative commentators (and I'm not embarrassed to share an alma mater with her, although I can't say the same for Ann Coulter), but her inane statement that she won't vote for an Atheist even though she is one herself will always be a huge strike against her.
I don't think she's bearable at all. She's annoying.

Tesseract

Banned

CCS

Banned
Morning all :)

God damn was last night fun, if Tuesday is this good I don't know if I'll be able to contain myself. We can basically crown Hillary Queen of all America right now.

EDIT: Also, did Sanders seriously say to people that they were "too smart" for him to lose in Minnesota? Diet racism much?

Polari

Morning all :)

God damn was last night fun, if Tuesday is this good I don't know if I'll be able to contain myself. We can basically crown Hillary Queen of all America right now.

EDIT: Also, did Sanders seriously say to people that they were "too smart" for him to lose in Minnesota? Diet racism much?

Yeah what a racist.

Are yall seriously going to call Bernie Sanders a racist? I swear, this BS campaign tactic shit just needs to stop from our side. The guy was making a light hearted joke and has been on the campaign trail in many of the stops by doing the same line.

CCS

Banned
Yeah what a racist.

Are yall seriously going to call Bernie Sanders a racist? I swear, this BS campaign tactic shit just needs to stop from our side. Im out of this thread and the campaign.

Not saying he's a racist, rather it's incredibly bad optics give that the implied suggestion is that the white Minnesota electorate is smarter than the mostly black SC electorate. How else can that be read?

Polari

Not saying he's a racist, rather it's incredibly bad optics give that the implied suggestion is that the white Minnesota electorate is smarter than the mostly black SC electorate. How else can that be read?

If that's your read, I don't think it's Sanders who's racist.

Good job editing out the part where I said it is something he has been doing a while. Yall are being horrible winners. I can't believe it.

fantomena

He's also getting destroyed on the Healthcare question. His healthcare plan is not resonating. This has been the trend in Iowa and NV as well, I believe. I think he won that question in NH. They need to fix his plan or do something with it. Explain it or something.

Doesn't Bernie want the same modern healthcare as any other western European democracy has?

Snowden has never really liked Clinton.

However, I kinda agreed with him on this even though I personally like Hillary.

Snowden is a hero to me and most Europeans, especially on the left.

CCS

Banned
Another Rorschach test like a few days ago when Hillary caught the BLM protester. Not racist I don't think, just a poor choice of words.

Yeah Hillary screwed up there. I mean, the damning comments were more the historical ones she was being challenged for rather than what she actually said in response but yeah, wasn't good.

CCS

Banned
I know Colorado hasn't been polled much because it's a caucus state and harder to predict, but do we have any recent polls out of there?

CCS

Banned
Anything else? Doesn't really tell me anything

Key Healthcare policies:

-Support public option
-Lower out-of-pocket costs like copays and deductibles
-Reduce the cost of prescription drugs
-Support new incentives to encourage all states to expand Medicaid
-Expand access to affordable health care to families regardless of immigration status
-Protect women’s access to reproductive health care, including contraception and safe, legal abortion.

The key thing about all of these is they can be achieved within the structure of the ACA, without having to get another complete revamp of the healthcare system through congress.

danm999

It's a huge problem since Congress is still trying to repeal Obamacare, dooming millions to lack of coverage and denying them protection from bullshit like pre-existing conditions and proposing to replace it with TBA.

Seriously fuck Lieberman for opposing the public option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom