• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
CghWysIUEAAbMLm.jpg

D'ohh. She looks like a power puff girl.

ampere

Oh damn, RIP Prince

Anyone else notice that Trump toning down his rhetoric and staying out of the spotlight almost coincided with him bringing in a new campaign adviser?

Yup, he's even trying to sway trans-voters today! Not sure how large that demographic is on the Republican side, but at least he'll have something to fight with Cruz about

Bernie is not anti-GMO. He does not claim that there is anything wrong with GMO foods. He's simply following the voting consensus of his state on GMO labeling.

Not sure you realize this, but labeling GMOs and prompting some people to not buy them effectively reduces their benefit! Wanting them to be labeled even though there is no scientific evidence that there's any harm from them is precisely what being anti-GMO is.

Trump literally just called Tubman replacing a genocidal, slave owning, economy destroying, war crime committing maniac "political correctness." He's not moderating.

He's just indifferent to trans individuals compared to black people, brown people, and women.

ampere

Trump literally just called Tubman replacing a genocidal, slave owning, economy destroying, war crime committing maniac "political correctness." He's not moderating.

He's just indifferent to trans individuals compared to black people, brown people, and women.

It's probably a calculated response. I doubt any likely GoP voters care about the history of Andrew Jackson

Trump is the least competent politician I've ever seen:

Harry Jackson is one of several members of the Ted Cruz For President Religious Liberty Advisory Council who are involved in the New Apostolic Reformation movement. Pastor Jim Garlow and Rev. Samuel Rodriguez, also on the council with Jackson, have had extensive association with NAR organizations.

In addition, head of a leading pro-Cruz super-PAC David Barton has numerous ties to the New Apostolic Reformation movement including a longtime friendship with ACPE head Cindy Jacobs.

Major NAR leaders to have endorsed Cruz’ presidential bid include Charisma magazine publisher Stephen Strang and International House of Prayer head Mike Bickle, who has claimed claimed that God sent Hitler to hunt the Jews.

Top NAR leaders have repeatedly emphasized in their writings the need for believers to destroy or neutralize, by burning, smashing, or flushing down toilets, objects deemed to be unholy, including profane books and “idolatrous” religious texts (such as Books of Mormon), religious relics (such as statues of Catholic saints, the Buddha, or Hindu gods), and native art (such as African masks, Hopi Indian Kachina dolls, and totem poles.)

According to New Apostolic Reformation doctrine, objects to be destroyed include those associated with Mormonism, Islam, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Hinduism and eastern religions generally, Christian Science, native religions, and Baha’i.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-wilson/ted-cruz-religion-adviser_b_9729606.html

If Trump had destroyed Cruz with Mormons over this, he would be a lock for the nomination since Mormons are some of the only people to support Cruz.

Mael

Btw, what he means by 'polling' is the same as 'voting' (we call voting sites 'polling sites', etc.).

What I can say to you isn't that we handle voting stupidly but rather that everyone can mess up in different ways.

For starters, in NYC people who work the polls (poll workers) are usually volunteers (they do get paid a stipend, but you have to volunteer to help) and not professionals. They get a quick class on ALL of the roles at the polling site and then near election day they get assigned a role and a polling site.

I assume the process is roughly the same for other states, because the logistics of maintaining a huge amount of 'experienced' poll workers for just a few days every year is cost-prohibitive. So the process relies on volunteers.

Even then the voter list is generated by the local Board of Elections, which does work year round, but people mail in their registrations late or incorrectly filled out or they are filled out in a different language, and so on. The applications have to be 'vetted' to ensure that the applicant can legitimately vote.

If a registration is filled out incorrectly by the applicant, that is human error.
If registrations can't be processed on time because of heavy workload, that is human inefficiency.
If a poll worker is new and doesn't know exactly how to address a voter's problem, that is human error.

It is not only a matter of counting the ballots. There might be people who walk into a polling site on the day of the election, but their name doesn't appear on the registration list. Now you have someone who insists that they are registered and they have the right to vote, but the local board of elections may not have the time to vet everybody who comes in and says the same thing. You have machines that break down, which means data might be messed up or lost and then you lose your vote counts.

The voter registration list might have an error: different address, wrong birth date, incorrect name order, incorrect name, wrong signature. Reasons that might give the poll worker suspicion of the voter's identity, which means now this voter may get angry about not being able to vote. Now they claim disenfranchisement and accuse poll workers or board of elections of fraud and corruption. When maybe it's possible that they filed a registration form that got lost in the mail.

Things like not having enough staff at a poll site, leading to longer lines and higher chance of error, since poll workers might hurry in their information checking and processing to let a voter through.

Or for instance in NY if you don't vote for 5 years, they kick your name off the registration list. So people who voted for Obama in 2008 now waltz in after not voting for 8 years and think they should be on the registration list.

And so on.

Thanks a lot, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.
the specifics are different but the idea is the same.
It's mostly a data quality issue on the registration list, there's ways to do it but it needs funding so I guess there's no easy solution.
With the way you presented the way the system is working I don't think you can point to voter fraud being the issue.

I will just cite a couple of things, just because this idea that we don't make mistakes or corruption don't exist in my country is ridiculous.:
- les élections municipales de Perpignan en 2008 were declared null by a court of law because of election Fraud
- Jean Tiberi (5e arrondissement de Paris) was accused and sentenced for running an election fraud ring for 8 years. Using false voters ids to create ghost voters. He was sentenced in 2015.

And I'm sure the education system is very good in France, but I'm sure people some times make mistakes.

Again I am absolutely not making a comment on the validity of the system.
As for the education system in France, I think the only good thing French people can say about it is that it's better than the US system on average till you get to college.
It doesn't fulfill its designated role and needs a full reform from top to bottom, believe me when I say that it probably needs as much work as the US system as far as overhaul goes (and I trust you to already know that).
there is of course voter fraud in France but an investigation will easily point them out (if you have dead people registered or some shenanigan you can redo the election till it's legitimate).
In the system we have now, there should be no mistakes only fraud.

Right now, in roughly one day, count about 100M pieces of paper. Then do it ten times. I can guarantee you won't get consistent answers.

And we can look up official results as well. We're just aware that on each recount, the odds of getting the same answer repeatedly are pretty much null. It's the same for France. I would bet my life savings on recounts not being consistent.
The thing is that you're not going to count 100M ballots multiple times, all polling stations will recount their own ballots multiple times.
There shouldn't be a polling station handling more than a set number of votes (they're based on population after all) so if the people handling the polling station don't mess up it should always be consistent.

The special thing you're doing here is assuming that that vote count is 100% accurate.

I can assure you that it is not. It just wasn't important enough for anybody to ask for a recount, probably because they weren't particularly close.
The total vote count should be 100% accurate.
Of course even if people mess up and there's errors the margin shouldn't be an issue as most elections aren't close anyway (and in that case I believe the US does it better as the mechanisms for recounts make sense there).

Taking the RCP poll average for next week's states plus the one Gravis Delaware poll, leaving RI at 50/50 extends Clinton's delegate lead by about 58 delegates.

Hindl

It's probably a calculated response. I doubt any likely GoP voters care about the history of Andrew Jackson

Hell, I bet most people don't even know the general time period when he was president, let alone all the shit he did. In fact, I remember in early history classes he was kinda pumped up as a badass pioneer woodsman instead of a psycho

This one reminded me of when McCain's Brain back in 2008 would use the facial tics and random movements of McCain to characterize what he was thinking in funny ways, particularly with how they portrayed Sanders in the TIME TO ACT! part.

Plus Sanders's final song was legitimately one of the funniest things I've seen related to this cycle this side of that Ted Cruz ad people just posted with awesome Hillary Underwood plotting plots against America and such.

User1608

Banned
Trump's alleged moderate stances on LGBT issues are pretty null and void when you're a POC/minority and more so undocumented lol. The man's GE burial can't come soon enough.

Firms that paid for Clinton speeches have US gov't interests

WASHINGTON (AP) — It's not just Wall Street banks. Most companies and groups that paid Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton to speak between 2013 and 2015 have lobbied federal agencies in recent years, and more than one-third are government contractors, an Associated Press review has found. Their interests are sprawling and would follow Clinton to the White House should she win election this fall.

The AP's review of federal records, regulatory filings and correspondence showed that almost all the 82 corporations, trade associations and other groups that paid for or sponsored Clinton's speeches have actively sought to sway the government — lobbying, bidding for contracts, commenting on federal policy and in some cases contacting State Department officials or Clinton herself during her tenure as secretary of state.

Presidents are not generally bound by many of the ethics and conflict-of-interest regulations that apply to non-elected executive branch officials, although they are subject to laws covering related conduct, such as bribery and illegal gratuities. Clinton's 94 paid appearances over two years on the speech circuit leave her open to scrutiny over decisions she would make in the White House or influence that may affect the interests of her speech sponsors.

"The problem is whether all these interests who paid her to appear before them will expect to have special access when they have an issue before the government," said Lawrence M. Noble, general counsel of the Campaign Legal Center, a Washington-based election watchdog group.

Trump's alleged moderate stances on LGBT issues are pretty null and void when you're a POC/minority and more so undocumented lol. The man's GE burial can't come soon enough.

Pretty much. Like I said in the main thread about this, you can be misogynist and racist while not being anti-LGBT. It's a small Venn diagram, but they exist. Likely a lot of people like Trump - rich white dudes in cities.

Bernie is not anti-GMO. He does not claim that there is anything wrong with GMO foods. He's simply following the voting consensus of his state on GMO labeling.

So if his state wanted produce picked by latinos labeled, he's support that too.

Bernie's Website said:
The medical community has raised serious health concerns about genetically engineered food. The American Public Health Association and the American Nurses Association have passed resolutions that support labeling foods with genetically engineered ingredients.

He's a pandering liar.

ivysaur12

Banned
On my phone, but Sherrod Brown's wife just threw cold water on VP talks since it would give Kasich appointment power + then that appointee would have incumbency advantage.

How would that incentivize people to buy electric cars or to make energy saving improvements to their home though?

There is already federal tax credits and deductions for such items. I don't want that behavior to have its incentives taken away. So if you want to simplify taxes... move those things to point of sale rebates. There has already been attempts to change the electric car tax credit into a point of sale rebate, but it was blocked thanks to dealerships lobbying about the extra paper work it would generate for them (really though, dealerships generally don't like EVs for various reasons and would be happier if they weren't incentivized).
With carbon tax, polluting behaviors become more expensive than clean ones. That provides the incentive to be clean, without inefficiently favoring some forms of being clean over others.

Not sure you realize this, but labeling GMOs and prompting some people to not buy them effectively reduces their benefit! Wanting them to be labeled even though there is no scientific evidence that there's any harm from them is precisely what being anti-GMO is.

Labeling doesn't inherently deter people from buying GMO foods. The labeling could even be positive, and promote GMO foods. There are ways to do it that wouldn't be anti-science or anti-GMO.

Goodstyle

The best part about the Cruz ad is that they not only cast a pretty good lookalike for hillary, but for Huma too.

And the characterization was perfect too. No one is more dedicated to Hillary than she is. If a gunman came into Clinton's offices and pointed a gun at the direction of Hillary and Weiner, she'd jump in front of Hillary. Although, I think that's also partially because of the type of guy her husband Weiner is...

Bowdz

On my phone, but Sherrod Brown's wife just threw cold water on VP talks since it would give Kasich appointment power + then that appointee would have incumbency advantage.

Yeah, as much as I like Brown, he needs to be in the Senate. That's a big reason why Perez and Castro are so damn appealing. They leave nothing to chance through appointments in the Senate.

Every government action can, with sufficient motivation, be understood as a handout to an interest group. For example, the biggest tax deduction, mortgage interest, can be analyzed as a handout to the interest group of "people who want to own houses." But I don't think that analysis is particularly meaningful and I would say that's not a correct understanding of the tax code. The vast majority of deductions exist specifically to incentivize behavior Congress thinks is important to society, like buying real estate, investing capital rather than leaving it lying around, giving to charity, etc., etc.

You might dispute the importance of incentivizing a particular behavior, or dispute that a particular incentive is working correctly, but it seems pretty facile to dismiss the whole policy set as handouts to interest groups and suggest that the government just shouldn't incentivize behavior with the tax code.

Frankly I think if the goal is to reduce complication as experienced by the citizen Warren has the right idea. Just have the IRS do your taxes for you unless you're super rich or complicated, and send them to you to sign off on.
My problem is that most of the incentives have no economic basis for government to be incentivizing them. And reducing the complications facing citizens would be better than nothing, but that still doesn't fix the underlying problem.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The document gives a breakdown of how they think it's impossible.

The conclusion: It's possible.

How in the world can they make the statement that even if he wins 100% of the delegates between now and the convention that he won't have enough? Absolutely bizarre.

No real surprise.

Like I said before if Clinton wants a swing state senator her options are pretty much limited to Virginia unless you really want to stretch the definition of swing state. Because there's also like... Bob Casey, but I can't see what he would add to the ticket (plus he's pro-life).

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Trump finally discovered that transgender people exists and he says he's fine with transgender individuals using whatever bathrooms they prefer.

And so Ted Cruz's entire team has been engaging in anti-trans hate speech today.

I have to give credit to Trump - his second reason about transgender individuals being able to use whatever bathrooms they prefer is pretty much the exact reason someone with his background (building, well, buildings) would come up with.

For those who didn't read it; he says a) it would be discriminatory to make separate bathroom for transgender folks and b) it would be stupid expensive to try to retrofit buildings with said bathrooms.

As always, I would take Trump over Cruz in a heartbeat. Cruz is legitimately evil, IMO.

hawk2025

Labeling doesn't inherently deter people from buying GMO foods. The labeling could even be positive, and promote GMO foods. There are ways to do it that wouldn't be anti-science or anti-GMO.

I'm all ears. Clearly that's not the goal of labeling, as the fear-mongering on his own website shows.

PBY

Banned
I have to give credit to Trump - his second reason about transgender individuals being able to use whatever bathrooms they prefer is pretty much the exact reason someone with his background (building, well, buildings) would come up with.

For those who didn't read it; he says a) it would be discriminatory to make separate bathroom for transgender folks and b) it would be stupid expensive to try to retrofit buildings with said bathrooms.

As always, I would take Trump over Cruz in a heartbeat. Cruz is legitimately evil, IMO.

Actually feel that Trump's racism and sexism has always stemmed from more of a blend of his brand of libertarianism/populism and ignorance, as opposed to dogma. Doesn't make it harmless in any way, but it doesn't appear to be a core principle in the way that a religious bent to such views would be.

ampere

What's the benefit to this?

People only want to know because they are scared of GMOs

Agree. Trump is an asshole and a bigot, but he doesn't seethe evil like Cruz.

NeoXChaos

David Plouffe ‏@davidplouffe 21h21 hours ago
Sanders has run a stunningly strong campaign fueled by passionate supporters. But raising $$ stating you have path to nomination is fraud.

Joe Trippi ‏@JoeTrippi 25m25 minutes ago Maryland, USA
No campaign ever better at spinning losing 57.3% to 42% & by nearly 3 million votes into "its so close!" & still asking for more $$.

PBY

Banned
Trump's CA polling has stabilized, he actually looks pretty damn good there now. I feel like he has to:
1- Shut up
2- Not have a protestor get beat up
3- Win a bunch of these NE states and hammer home the momentum angle
4- Keep pointing out that Cruz has been mathematically eliminated.

hawk2025

If there are benefits to GMO labels, companies will do it themselves at their own dime.

If we find any shred of scientific evidence that certain kinds of genetic modifications are harmful, we can regulate that type of modification specifically at that point in time.

This is really quite simple for anyone beholden to a basic level of science-based evidence.

I didn't say that he would do anything that his state developed a consensus for. However, in this case, it is obvious that he didn't view the consensus as objectionable.

And the "health concerns" quote is fine given the context of his referencing. In other words, given the uncertainty with regard to the long term effects of GMO foods (if any), the medical community takes health awareness of GMO foods seriously. Awareness that there's uncertainty is not the same as awareness that something shady is going on.

You will not find any quote of Bernie Sanders claiming that GMOs are bad for you, so let's not misrepresent his position.

No, the quote is not fine. It's fear-mongering in its purest form.

So if his state wanted produce picked by latinos labeled, he's support that too.

He's a pandering liar.

I didn't say that he would do anything that his state developed a consensus for. However, in this case, it is obvious that he didn't view the consensus as objectionable.

And the "health concerns" quote is fine given the context of his referencing. In other words, given the uncertainty with regard to the long term effects of GMO foods (if any), the medical community takes health awareness of GMO foods seriously. Awareness that there's uncertainty is not the same as awareness that something shady is going on.

You will not find any quote of Bernie Sanders claiming that GMOs are bad for you, so let's not misrepresent his position.

Adaren

On the note of Sanders' views on GMOs and anti-science fear mongering, what's his logic for wanting to phase out nuclear power? I admire his strong rhetoric about global warming, but that only makes his opposition to nuclear all the more baffling.

On the note of Sanders' views on GMOs and anti-science fear mongering, what's his logic for wanting to phase out nuclear power? I admire his strong rhetoric about global warming, but that only makes his opposition to nuclear all the more baffling.

I guess he just wants to make sure no scary nuclear waste goes near him.

NeoXChaos

The push for him to drop is just going to get stronger from here on out. In that same vein, the push for him to chill with the personal attacks will definitely get way stronger than it has been.

she will definitely be rolling out more superdelegates along the way. 130 of those are privately supporting her.

ivysaur12

Banned
Trump just needs to edge out Cruz in the Central Valley and he should easily take the delegate rich Bay Area and SoCal CDs, with a few in OC going for Kasich. Maaaaybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom