• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trancos

there shouldn't be an issue with counting votes

I really really don't want to get into a my country is sooo much better than yours (as you implied by 'is vote counting inaccuracies at elections an american thing?') kind of thing. Not sure where you are from, or what the voting system is in your country, so I'll let it go.

I'm not even an american citizen

What are the major differences between Edwards and Van hollen?

I get the representative thing and electing more women but he's super liberal as well.

Serious talk: since we were talking about GMOs, is any company more undeservingly reviled by pretty much everyone than Monsanto? I'm not saying they're perfect, but you'd think they were single handedly trying to end the world given how much people seem to have them.

That's a tough question. They're definitely near the top of that list though, if not at the top.

What gets me is how people think the government are in their pocket when they don't contribute as much as many other major corporations you wouldn't say had the government in their pocket (Whole Foods) and they aren't even the biggest agribusiness.

Look at this. It's peanuts.

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000055

Holmes

I'm watching the GMA town hall with Clinton and there's an undecided voter leaning Sanders because Clinton supported the 1994 crime bill.

Also I hate "why do x voters hate you" questions.

I'm watching the GMA town hall with Clinton and there's an undecided voter leaning Sanders because Clinton supported the 1994 crime bill.

Sanders voted for the bill too.

He also voted for the one without the VAWA but shhhh

CCS

Banned
That's a tough question. They're definitely near the top of that list though, if not at the top.

What gets me is how people think the government are in their pocket when they don't contribute as much as many other major corporations you wouldn't say had the government in their pocket (Whole Foods) and they aren't even the biggest agribusiness.

Look at this. It's peanuts.

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000055

I didn't actually know that, thank you for the info :)

Holmes

Sanders voted for the bill too.

He also voted for the one without the VAWA but shhhh
Yeah she said that, but I think she gave one of the best answers she's ever given on the topic of helping people who get out of prison afterwards. Then the next guy is all about the transcripts.

Mael

I really really don't want to get into a my country is sooo much better than yours (as you implied by 'is vote counting inaccuracies at elections an american thing?') kind of thing. Not sure where you are from, or what the voting system is in your country, so I'll let it go.

I'm not even an american citizen

I can get right now the result of all the past election for the last 20 years down to the vote in my country, I don't think we're doing anything special.
I certainly do not think that my country(Fr) is better than the US in any way.
Considering a class of 7th graders have enough material and organization to hold an election with legitimate results without having any issue explaining errors in the voting process.
How can you have error margins in the voting process?

Does Bernie just get a free pass on this? I don't understand it.
Tad Devine making himself rich.
Devine eating good. He's probably the main person encouraging all of the emails they send out lol

dramatis

Wut?
Is that an american thing?
I'm not even sure I understand how that is even possible to get errors on ballots!
You have a list of people voting, you have the ballots cast and you have a range of people making sure that only 1 ballot is cast by 1 person and you can explain the differences.
You can have your overly complicated ballot sheet with 15 boxes to fill as long as you put the ballot in an envelop that you then cast into a clear box there should be no issue AT ALL.
how can there be miscounts in such a simple system?
If you're that scared about voter fraud or something just require to provide a valid verified address to the list and prosecute the people that try to cheat the system.
Btw, what he means by 'polling' is the same as 'voting' (we call voting sites 'polling sites', etc.).

What I can say to you isn't that we handle voting stupidly but rather that everyone can mess up in different ways.

For starters, in NYC people who work the polls (poll workers) are usually volunteers (they do get paid a stipend, but you have to volunteer to help) and not professionals. They get a quick class on ALL of the roles at the polling site and then near election day they get assigned a role and a polling site.

I assume the process is roughly the same for other states, because the logistics of maintaining a huge amount of 'experienced' poll workers for just a few days every year is cost-prohibitive. So the process relies on volunteers.

Even then the voter list is generated by the local Board of Elections, which does work year round, but people mail in their registrations late or incorrectly filled out or they are filled out in a different language, and so on. The applications have to be 'vetted' to ensure that the applicant can legitimately vote.

If a registration is filled out incorrectly by the applicant, that is human error.
If registrations can't be processed on time because of heavy workload, that is human inefficiency.
If a poll worker is new and doesn't know exactly how to address a voter's problem, that is human error.

It is not only a matter of counting the ballots. There might be people who walk into a polling site on the day of the election, but their name doesn't appear on the registration list. Now you have someone who insists that they are registered and they have the right to vote, but the local board of elections may not have the time to vet everybody who comes in and says the same thing. You have machines that break down, which means data might be messed up or lost and then you lose your vote counts.

The voter registration list might have an error: different address, wrong birth date, incorrect name order, incorrect name, wrong signature. Reasons that might give the poll worker suspicion of the voter's identity, which means now this voter may get angry about not being able to vote. Now they claim disenfranchisement and accuse poll workers or board of elections of fraud and corruption. When maybe it's possible that they filed a registration form that got lost in the mail.

Things like not having enough staff at a poll site, leading to longer lines and higher chance of error, since poll workers might hurry in their information checking and processing to let a voter through.

Or for instance in NY if you don't vote for 5 years, they kick your name off the registration list. So people who voted for Obama in 2008 now waltz in after not voting for 8 years and think they should be on the registration list.

And so on.

Trump finally discovered that transgender people exists and he says he's fine with transgender individuals using whatever bathrooms they prefer.

And so Ted Cruz's entire team has been engaging in anti-trans hate speech today.

gcubed

Trump finally discovered that transgender people exists and he says he's fine with transgender individuals using whatever bathrooms they prefer.

And so Ted Cruz's entire team has been engaging in anti-trans hate speech today.

Trump more progressive than the shit heel scumbag Curt Schilling

I wonder if the people saying they're voting for Jill Stein even know some of the Green party's anti-science nonsense like anti-flouride in water and GMOs and stuff.

I could never vote for Jill Stein due to her anti-vaccination stance. It's an indefensible position and I'm strongly against it.

Bernie is anti-GMO?

Ugh. Probably going to spawn a bunch of young people who will stubbornly be against GMOs now in the future. Thanks Bernie.

Bernie is not anti-GMO. He does not claim that there is anything wrong with GMO foods. He's simply following the voting consensus of his state on GMO labeling.

Hmmmmmmm, Trump is probably the closest American approximation to Hitler since Lindbergh, but I've finally decided that Ted Cruz is worse than Trump.

If Cruz ends up being the candidate, then in time, everyone is going to come around to that way of thinking.

Because he is factually worse, and much more capable of doing serious damage to the country.

Trancos

I can get right now the result of all the past election for the last 20 years down to the vote in my country, I don't think we're doing anything special.
Considering a class of 7th graders have enough material and organization to hold an election with legitimate results without having any issue explaining errors in the voting process.

I will just cite a couple of things, just because this idea that we don't make mistakes or corruption don't exist in my country is ridiculous.:
- les élections municipales de Perpignan en 2008 were declared null by a court of law because of election Fraud
- Jean Tiberi (5e arrondissement de Paris) was accused and sentenced for running an election fraud ring for 8 years. Using false voters ids to create ghost voters. He was sentenced in 2015.

And I'm sure the education system is very good in France, but I'm sure people some times make mistakes.

For a moment I was surprised that Trump had the position of a normal, caring human being on this transgender matter. But I'd temporarily forgotten he's a social liberal.

His position is interesting, actually, since he'll be able to defend it. "Look, those bills keep costing those states jobs! I make jobs instead!"

hawk2025

We've been through the (lack of) logic in labelling GMOs.

It's tantamount to "teach the controversy", and is complete nonsense. I'd rather not support something that may increase prices of food and lead to millions of people starving.

One more thing -- he can try to walk the line as much as he wants over how he doesn't believe it's necessarily bad, but the wording of all his statements are clearly coded to cause fear. For example:

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-let-states-require-gmo-food-labels

It ends with:

The medical community has raised serious health concerns about genetically engineered food. The American Public Health Association and the American Nurses Association have passed resolutions that support labeling foods with genetically engineered ingredients.

The #NeverTrump part of the GOP has gone all in on "trans women are mentally ill men coming to rape your five year old daughter in a bathroom!" so I think that the entire party should be burnt to the ground.

It can rebuild as some pro-women, pro-tax cuts party out of the of the people that vote Republican just for tax cuts and the women that vote Democrat just because Republicans hate them.

The Cruz and Trump factions should die a horrible political death.

Right now, in roughly one day, count about 100M pieces of paper. Then do it ten times. I can guarantee you won't get consistent answers.

And we can look up official results as well. We're just aware that on each recount, the odds of getting the same answer repeatedly are pretty much null. It's the same for France. I would bet my life savings on recounts not being consistent.

For a moment I was surprised that Trump had the position of a normal, caring human being on this transgender matter. But I'd temporarily forgotten he's a social liberal.

His position is interesting, actually, since he'll be able to defend it. "Look, those bills keep costing those states jobs! I make jobs instead!"

You mean he's NOT a social liberal. That's literally the one thing where he's different and he diverts that it's because of business concerns.

pigeon

Banned

The special thing you're doing here is assuming that that vote count is 100% accurate.

I can assure you that it is not. It just wasn't important enough for anybody to ask for a recount, probably because they weren't particularly close.

Trump is moderate on LGBT issues but his entire campaign is hatred towards people of color and his entire philosophy is misogyny.

"Social issues"=/="LGBT issues" entirely.

Maledict

Yeah Trump is surprisingly moderate on LGBT issues which I can only attribute to him actually knowing some gay people

Apart from saying he'll stack the supreme court with judges who will reverse the gay marriage decision, and that it was a terrible mistake.

Trumps only moderate on LGBT issues relative to the rest of the Republican party. He's still a bigot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom