• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood the arguments otherwise. I have lived in rural America my entire life. Trump on the ballot will not stop these people from voting for their local GOP candidate.

I think the more likely scenario is that Trump will bring out minorities to vote, who otherwise wouldn't. Which will hurt the GOP.

Brinbe

The Zimbabwe way! Sure, let's follow the Mugabe economic plan, that worked out well.

That should be posted in OT! It's that hilariously stupid. Real talk, forget about the racist/sexist bullshit. THIS is the thing that disqualifies him from President. No matter your ethics and political leanings, rule number one is you don't fuck with peoples money.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think the more likely scenario is that Trump will bring out minorities to vote, who otherwise wouldn't. Which will hurt the GOP.

Most of these areas with Tea Party or far-right reps probably have such a small amount of minorities that it won't matter.

I actually expect a similar electoral vote count to last election as well. Not much will change. Our country is pretty solidly polarized.

Inflation... Who cares?

The country could be debt free!
The Zimbabwe way! Sure, let's follow the Mugabe economic plan, that worked out well.

That should be posted in OT! It's that hilariously stupid. Real talk, forget about the racist/sexist bullshit. THIS is the thing that disqualifies him from President. No matter your ethics and political leanings, rule number one is you don't fuck with peoples money.

Does this now make Hillary the only candidate with a sane central banking policy? I believe it does.
Stuart Mill's equation of exchange: MV = PT

Increasing M does not always result in an increase in P.

Mael

Trump: US won't default because it prints money

Hehe.

EDIT:

CiA6dTzWkAEbPFv.jpg

This is real?

ampere

I have a quick question about our education system. If you were to only test the white schools (since American schools are still very segregated) in the country, would America rank much higher among the world (like in the top 5 range)?

This idea immediately struct me as incorrect since the school I grew up near that was always receiving high praises was something like 60% non-white. I know that's anecdotal so I wanted to look into it further. I just looked it up, the school is Northview High School which has 63% minority enrollment and US ranked #328, State ranked #11.

This is not an exhaustive list, but here are the top 10 high schools (some are not only high schools and also teach earlier grades, it varies by location) in the US as ranked by USNews and their minority representation. You can keep going down the list at this link.

National rank #1 - School for the Talented and Gifted - Dallas TX - 64% minority enrollment
National rank #2 - BASIS Scottsdale - Scottsdale AZ - 53% minority enrollment
National rank #3 - BASIS Tucson North - Tuscon AZ - 48% minority enrollment
National rank #4 - School of Science and Engineering - Dallas TX - 85% minority enrollment
National rank #5 - Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology - Alexandria VA - 69% minority enrollment
National rank #6 - BASIS Oro Valley - Oro Valley AZ - 39% minority enrollment
National rank #7 - Pine View School - Osprey FL - 26% minority enrollment
National rank #8 - Academic Magnet High School - North Charleston SC - 15% minority enrollment
National rank #9 - International Academy - Bloomfield Hills MI - 48% minority enrollment
National rank #10 - Carnegie Vanguard High School - Houston TX - 59% minority enrollment

Damn, that BASIS school system in Arizona is dominating this list. I recognize that this is a very small sample and the trends may change, but at least in the top 10 it's more unusual for a school to be below (2 schools) the national average minority representation than above it (8 schools). The US has about 63% white non-hispanic population in 2012, so any minority enrollment above 37% is above average representation of minorities.

Inflation... Who cares?

The country could be debt free!

If Trump were really EV, he would have clarified that Bonds are actually a larger inflationary pressure on the economy due to interest rates. It's just more inflationary over time.

The is still valid regardless. Debt and the number aren't as important as inflation, which we currently don't have much of.

Yes because war torn Zimbabwe's only comparison is the printing of Fiat currency.

Also, might I just thank God Lord Emperor Barack "The Islamic Shock" Obama for creating an economy again that allowed my bf to find a job.

Thanks Obama.

giphy.gif

FyreWulff

But don't we want Republicans to say this? Like this view is way better for liberals than current conservative hard money dogma.

I mean, it technically is correct, but it's not a good idea to actually consider a way to deal with debt. It's the extreme opposite end of the hard money concept that would cause hyperinflation instead of hyperdeflation.

I'm not going to go into detail on my stance in this thread, but the government's job is basically manipulate the currency to encourage money to keep moving. The national debt, as a whole, does not matter to us citizens and is not something that needs to be paid off any time soon. You don't want hyperinflation as a result of printing away the debt, but you also don't want deflation that would come with the gold standard as money would be worth more dead than alive.

Either way, this is pretty lols for everyone that expected him to parrot the GOP party goldbug view

pigeon

Banned
Okay, so, sigh.

I won't say I agree with Trump, but fundamentally, I think he is correct to say that we never need to default because we can print money. And we should really be printing more money!

The theoretical fear of printing money is that it will directly cause inflation. But guess what? The Fed has historically been way too focused on keeping inflation down and not focused enough on keeping unemployment down (probably because stagflation freaked them out permanently), and that's directly tied to the wealth gap because wage share of GDP drops whenever we have prolonged unemployment above a certain point, and goes up only when we actually have prolonged (more or less) full employment.

Hyperinflation is a fake boogeyman created by Zero Hedge. In every historical instance of hyperinflation, there was a meaningful threat to sovereignty. Since fiat currency's value derives from the fact that the government issuing it will only accept that currency for taxes and fees (and, implicitly, that if you don't pay your taxes you will be arrested), whenever people start having a genuine concern that the government will not be able to arrest you for not paying taxes then the currency immediately collapses. There's a reason the example cases are the Weimar Republic and post-war famine-wracked Zimbabwe! But there's no threat to American sovereignty except, like, Americans.

So it would probably be great for the country for us to print a bunch of cash. This is especially true right now when bonds have negative interest rates and borrowing money IS basically printing cash. In fact I have a great pitch for the Treasury where we sell a billion dollars of T-bills and buy a billion dollars of TIPS. Lock it in!

I mean, it technically is correct, but it's not a good idea to actually consider a way to deal with debt. It's the extreme opposite end of the hard money concept that would cause hyperinflation instead of hyperdeflation.

Yes, MMT taken to an extreme would be very bad. I still think that technological and demographics trends continue to push us towards deflation so more aggressive monetary and fiscal policy are warranted. Having the GOP presidential candidate putting this out there should make this more likely.

Holmes

Ryan's district is R+3, but with Trump at the top of the ticket, it would be very vulnerable to a Dem takeover if he were to be primaried. Trump got crushed in Ryan's district - Cruz got over 50% of the vote.

Bowdz

Trump is calling Hillary a rape enabler pretty much every day now.

I'm curious how this is going to play. I don't see much movement on the part of the Clinton campaign to counter this narrative and Trump is pretty damn effective about lying until it becomes fact in the national conversation. I personally would rather see her surrogates continually hit back on asking exactly how did she enable Bill and reiterating how blatantly sexist it is to blame her for her spouse's indiscretions.

Brinbe

She's already started early! Bernie has been completely inconsequential for weeks now. She's the nominee, period.

You let him run till June, because that's fair to the process and to his supporters. But he doesn't really matter anymore at all. Trump is the focus. And that's how she and her team have been acting. Which is totally smart. They're totally done attacking and debating Bernie, and they're not gonna majorly contest any state anymore, except probably CA. They'll happily glide towards the nomination and get supers to clinch it for her in June.

The GOP establishment is doing well outside of the presidential race because the GOP establishment still runs out white nationalist candidates, just "respectable" ones.

bananas

Banned
I'm curious how this is going to play. I don't see much movement on the part of the Clinton campaign to counter this narrative and Trump is pretty damn effective about lying until it becomes fact in the national conversation. I personally would rather see her surrogates continually hit back on asking exactly how did she enable Bill and reiterating how blatantly sexist it is to blame her for her spouse's indiscretions.
She doesn't need to hit back. That quote is so fucking appalling to most women or any sane human being, in general.

Grief.exe

Okay, so, sigh.

I won't say I agree with Trump, but fundamentally, I think he is correct to say that we never need to default because we can print money. And we should really be printing more money!

The theoretical fear of printing money is that it will directly cause inflation. But guess what? The Fed has historically been way too focused on keeping inflation down and not focused enough on keeping unemployment down (probably because stagflation freaked them out permanently), and that's directly tied to the wealth gap because wage share of GDP drops whenever we have prolonged unemployment above a certain point, and goes up only when we actually have prolonged (more or less) full employment.

Hyperinflation is a fake boogeyman created by Zero Hedge. In every historical instance of hyperinflation, there was a meaningful threat to sovereignty. Since fiat currency's value derives from the fact that the government issuing it will only accept that currency for taxes and fees (and, implicitly, that if you don't pay your taxes you will be arrested), whenever people start having a genuine concern that the government will not be able to arrest you for not paying taxes then the currency immediately collapses. There's a reason the example cases are the Weimar Republic and post-war famine-wracked Zimbabwe! But there's no threat to American sovereignty except, like, Americans.

So it would probably be great for the country for us to print a bunch of cash. This is especially true right now when bonds have negative interest rates and borrowing money IS basically printing cash. In fact I have a great pitch for the Treasury where we sell a billion dollars of T-bills and buy a billion dollars of TIPS. Lock it in!

It's my rudimentary understanding that since the economy is doing relatively well we are disinclined to increase inflation to pay off debt.
Now when the economy is struggling, you inflate your dollar to reduce the cost of goods and spur investment,meanwhile you can pay off your debts easier as the dollar is worth less.

And Bernie being an asshole, idiot, stupid person means Hillary can't start early.
Hillary has more or less ignored Bernie since mid-March.

Hillary's been in GE mode for awhile now. Lately she's been giving Bernie the attention he deserves.

Hillary already started her GE transition a month ago

Can't remember the last time she actually mentioned Bernie

But still not fully there. Bernie will still go on about her transcripts, everything Bernie says is negative news about Hillary.

It doesn't matter because she's not going to respond to THAT attack

Oh, I know. Just that she can't start doing GE campaign completely right now. She still has to campaign in primary states.

Also, the president can't campaign for Hillary until Bernie drops, and according to his current approval ratings, he'll be a powerful weapon in the fight against Trump.

I think he's trying to support Trump in a politically safe way. Talking tough on the television news, but in reality he'll "do whatever" Trump asks of him. Spineless.

Hey, it's how he treats the Freedom Caucus. He capitulates to the whims of his enemies. I can't believe that I actually miss the days of John Boehner running the speakership. At least Boehner would reach across the aisle to, you know, try to actually get stuff done in between crying jags and "I hate Obama" rhetoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom