• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

itschris

Kaine, Warren and Castro have been asked to submit documents for vetting. Probable final 3.

Here's an article about this:

Chicago Tribune: Warren, Kaine, Castro on shortlist as Clinton's VP search intensifies

Hillary Clinton's search for a running mate is moving into a more intense phase, according to several Democrats, as aides contact a pared-down pool of candidates to ask for reams of personal information and set up interviews with the presumptive Democratic nominee's vetting team.

Those on the shortlist include Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a favorite of progressives who has emerged as a blistering critic of presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump; Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine, a well-liked lawmaker from an important general election battleground state; and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro of Texas, a rising star in the Democratic Party.

Warren, Kaine and Castro represent the two schools of thinking about the running mate pick that have emerged among those closest to Clinton's campaign.

Some advisers believe Clinton should pick a running-mate that would energize Democrats: a woman, a staunch liberal or a minority. Others argue that Trump's deep unpopularity gives Clinton an opportunity to win over a share of independents and Republican-leaning voters with a more centrist pick, such as Kaine.

Clinton is also said to be cognizant about the risks of tapping a senator who would be replaced by a Republican governor if Democrats won in November. That's a particular liability for Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker. Clinton's campaign is said to have considered both, but it was unclear Monday whether either would be fully vetted for the vice presidential slot.

A handful of other Democrats are also said to be under consideration, though the full list is being closely guarded by the Clinton campaign. Longtime Clinton allies John Podesta and Cheryl Mills are overseeing the search and few people beyond them are believed to know the full list of candidates being vetted.

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice that ItWasMeantToBe19 posted the same article from a different site before me.

cogent

Banned
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation-world/ct-hillary-clinton-running-mate-20160620-story.html

Castro would be a terrible president and Kaine is super boring, booo.

Ted Cruz winning on the 9th ballot after Reince goes to the hospital with alcohol poisoning and Tom Brady spends time talking about white genocide will really endear the party to the public though.

Jesus get over it! He is you know, actually qualified to be President should anything happen. You know, the single most important thing a VP may have to do...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Mehhhhh to Castro. Either of the other two would be fine from the "could've president at drop of the hat"

Jesus get over it! He is you know, actually qualified to be President should anything happen. You know, the single most important thing a VP may have to do...

Yeah I have to agree now. If you disagree with him policy wise it's fine but there is nothing wrong with a safe choice. Same thing as people complaining they don't think Hilary is personable enough for them.

And? He can still be a boring pick. These two things aren't mutually exclusive, you know. If politics was nothing more than who is most qualified, Donald Freaking Trump wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the ticket, and Sarah Palin would still be in Bumfuck, Alaska.

Anyway....

So, what do we think about Trump taking public financing? Clearly, this shit isn't working. So, he'd get, what is it, $20 million? He can only give himself another $50,000. But, he could spin it as "I'm so great, the government is paying me to run. I'm taking advantage of the system. That's what we need more of in Washington."

The GOP can fuck off with him and focus on down ballot races.

Clca_LSVAAApKLV.jpg:large
lololol

Do you think he fired what's his face because this shit was coming out today? I mean, it makes it look worse, but maybe he thought he'd get a media cycle out of it...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
what if the GOP decides to drop Trump but can't actually find anyone to run instead?
If they dump him at the convention the convention won't end without them naming a candidate. I mean unless the intentionally try the "no contest" strategy of letting her run unopposed to delegitimize her.

They will absolutely be able to find a willing warm body if they need one though. Gingrich would cream his panties over such an opportunity for example.

But what's going on inside that campaign? If the Trump kids were supposedly pissed at Lewandowski for doing nothing, and Trump shocked that Lewandowski had no plan, and Priebus is complaining and everyone is noticing that no money is being raised, what have they doing all day up until now? Trump isn't the only guy there but is he literally shooting down any idea that involves raising money? It's completely baffling.

I'll give Lewandowski credit for one thing. People criticized him for not hiring a staff, there was no way they could hire anyone with $1.2 Million cash on hand.

Biden is probably more qualified to be president if we're looking at that criteria alone.

I don't think Kaine will cause any electoral advantage whatsoever and there's Dems I would like better than Kaine to be president.

And I don't think Kaine is going to be a future candidate for president unless Hillary dies so they're not really going to be building up a potential next presidential candidate either.

And? He can still be a boring pick. These two things aren't mutually exclusive, you know. If politics was nothing more than who is most qualified, Donald Freaking Trump wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the ticket, and Sarah Palin would still be in Bumfuck, Alaska.

Anyway....

So, what do we think about Trump taking public financing? Clearly, this shit isn't working. So, he'd get, what is it, $20 million? He can only give himself another $50,000. But, he could spin it as "I'm so great, the government is paying me to run. I'm taking advantage of the system. That's what we need more of in Washington."

I don't think "I'm so broke I need a government handout to run for President" is very... Trumpian. Trumpish?

I don't think "I'm so broke I need a government handout to run for President" is very... Trumpian. Trumpish?

Fair point. I think he could spin it, though. It'd make no sense, and anyone not infantile would see it for what it is....but, hell, it's better than this.

Nick Confessore ‏@nickconfessore 14m14 minutes ago

Trump has less cash on hand than the former majority leader of the New York State Senate, who is headed to jail.

royalan

What I want to know is...

WHERE ARE TRUMP'S SMALL CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS???

I mean, if there's ANYTHING Kickstarter and GoFundMe have tought me, it's that there are a LOT of crazy conservatives in this country willing to part with their money to fund a hateful cause.

So why isn't Trump drowning in Small. Campaign. Contributions. Averaging. 27 Dollars. right now?

Iolo

He would get up to $96,140,600.

Iolo

Reuters said:
The primary Super PAC supporting Trump, Great America PAC, reported raising $1.4 million in May - accounting for most of the $2.5 million the group has raised this year.

iGJNE29.gif

I remember in late 2011, there were rumblings about getting another Republican to jump in the GOP race. That would've came off desperate then and now we're a month away from the RNC and there's rumblings of trying to oust Trump.

Efforts are underway by some wealthy Republican donors and a group of conservative leaders to investigate whether a new Republican candidate could still get into the presidential race. The talk is still preliminary and somewhat wishful, but it reflects dissatisfaction with the two leading candidates, Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney.

Conservative leaders are looking into whether it is feasible for a dark horse to get on the ballot in select states. The deadline to qualifying for the ballot has passed in Florida, South Carolina, Missouri, and New Hampshire. But a candidate could still get on the ballot in states like Tennessee, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Michigan and Texas. At the first-in-the-nation Iowa caucuses, voters write in their choice, so there is no formal filing deadline.

The chatter about potential new entrants include former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, businessman Donald Trump, Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin and South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint.

http://gawker.com/5865976/rich-repu...to-field-a-half-decent-presidential-candidate

I mean, a lot of the arguments for Tim Kaine were "helps with Virginia!" but then PPP did a poll showing that Kaine affected the outcome not at all in Virginia.

I remember in late 2011, there were rumblings about getting another Republican to jump in the GOP race. That would've came off desperate then and now we're a month away from the RNC and there's rumblings of trying to oust Trump.

http://gawker.com/5865976/rich-repu...to-field-a-half-decent-presidential-candidate

Even if the RNC inevitably doesn't oust Trump at the convention, it's been a growing topic of discussion for several sustained weeks now. It comes up in almost every discussion about the 2016 race. The fact that the GOP has allowed this idea to grow can't be a great for confidence in the Republican brand.

We can all laugh at Trump but he did have the wisdom get the hot advertising firm of Draper Sterling to consult on his campaign. Only cost $35K too! What a shrewd businessman.

ClceSOEWkAAEu13.jpg

Iolo

Speaking of Republican financing problems:

FEC said:
Public grants of $18,248,300 went to each of the major parties for their conventions in 2012. On April 3, 2014, President Barack Obama signed legislation to end the public funding of presidential nomination conventions.

Thanks Obama!

rodvik

Now that Clinton is rising even without consolidating Bernie stans, I'm off the Warren VP train. She doesn't offer anything we need. The Democratic flank is nailed down.

The issue I can't reconcile is how to be respectful of the minority communities that support Hillary with someone that appeals to white men. I don't think I can square this circle. Is it Tom Perez?

Biden?

Bowdz

Lmao at all of you guys falling for the initial "short list" article. Remember the articles from a few weeks ago saying Gingrich was off the VP list only to have a different article this week saying he was part of the three man short list. This shit is constantly in flux and this is really just the beginning of getting information from possible contenders. Nothing is final or narrowed down until the choice is made and honestly, I don't think they'll finalize anything until they know Trump's choice.

Also

Now that Clinton is rising even without consolidating Bernie stans, I'm off the Warren VP train. She doesn't offer anything we need. The Democratic flank is nailed down.

The issue I can't reconcile is how to be respectful of the minority communities that support Hillary with someone that appeals to white men. I don't think I can square this circle. Is it Tom Perez?

It is bro. It's been him from the beginning.

Guis...guis....

Hillary has a speech attacking Trump's...um...fraudish practices today. Hollly sheeet if she can work some of this in there....hell, even if she can't, it'll fit the narrative.

Maybe god is a Democrat. She seems to love me this cycle.

Bowdz

Guis...guis....

Hillary has a speech attacking Trump's...um...fraudish practices today. Hollly sheeet if she can work some of this in there....hell, even if she can't, it'll fit the narrative.

Elon Musk loves all of his children adam. He loves us all very much.

Kaine would be a real lame choice. Wouldn't we be losing a swing state Senator too?

Just pick Perez or a Congressman from a safe district.

Dem governor in Virginia so the replacement wouldn't be hard, and he or she would win a special election.

In a perfect world Kaine gets the VP nod, Tom Perriello gets his senate seat.

Dem governor in Virginia so the replacement wouldn't be hard, and he or she would win a special election.

In a perfect world Kaine gets the VP nod, Tom Perriello gets his senate seat.
Yes. Perriello was the fucking man. I know he's mentioned as a possible candidate every time a statewide race in VA is open. I hope his loss in 2010 didn't discourage him, he ran as well as he could have.

HylianTom

Banned
Guis...guis....

She's decided that it's someone else's turn to wander the desert for 40 years.

Fluent Spanish speaking white man from Virginia.

Iolo

Sorry, I meant how does Trump get 96 million from publicly funding his election?

That's the standard gen elex grant for each nominee, funded by the Presidential Election Campaign Fund. Obama was the first nominee not to use it, in 2008. Romney followed suit in 2012. So it is not unusual historically, but you can raise far more money privately.

Note that Trump could not raise any private money if he takes public funding.

edit: also that only leaves 50 million after he pays back his loan ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom