• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I think is positive is this is becoming a culture issue. And with declining gun ownership, growth in minorities who are far more supportive of gun control (lets not beat around the bush that a lot or "gun rights" rhetoric is build around fear of non-whites, listen to any NRA speech) its becoming a firm line, are you for lives or the NRA. The dems need these steps to firm up the two sides and when that has happened in the past they tend to win on issue even if it takes forever. We saw this with gay rights

I don't think we're getting a handgun ban or anything but we'll start to see restriction on conceal carry, registrations, assault weapon bans at the state level with eventually getting small reforms nationally

Its gonna be forever and a lot of people are gonna die in the meantime unfortunately.

And I don't see it has some death blow to the dems. Gun owners influence will continue to decline, especially in the dems coalition

The issue, there's enough (white) independents and Democrat's who don't own (and don't like) guns themselves, but they still have positive associations with an uncle or grandfather who owned guns and went hunting/shooting/etc. with them.

Give it a generation or so for those people to be replaced by (white) independents and Democrat's who have zero connection to guns outside of crazy people and criminals and you'll see a change.

Probably not enough to ever get us to proper European regulation, but we'll probably be able to pass decent federal laws.

The issue, there's enough (white) independents and Democrat's who don't own (and don't like) guns themselves, but they still have positive associations with an uncle or grandfather who owned guns and went hunting/shooting/etc. with them.

Give it a generation or so for those people to be replaced by (white) independents and Democrat's who have zero connection to guns outside of crazy people and criminals and you'll see a change.

Probably not enough to ever get us to proper European regulation, but we'll probably be able to pass decent federal laws.

The bolded is a problem for federal regulations but as you said its gonna change over the years.

I'm seeing a lot of reluctance of young gun supporters to fully support some of the shit the NRA does, they still spew semantic crap but its getting better and they're starting to hedge which is the same thing I saw with gay marriage.

cogent

Banned
Donald Trump hasn't been actively trying to raise money for the campaign though right? It's all been about self-funding, so until he pivots to more actively seeking aid....I dunno it is a ridiculously small amount either way lol. I mean the mechanism is there to for people to donate but it's not like he's out there sending Bernie 'help me' emails.

It's only June and I'm already tired of hearing the world pivot. Pivot this, pivot that, pivoting all over the place. Blah.

Wouldn't that effectively repeal the 2nd amendment?

No. The 2nd amendment doesn't guarantee an individual the right to own a gun by birthright. That's an erroneous scalia opinion that's 8 years old

Anyways. the 2nd amendment was clearly the worst thing from the Constitution behind slavery. Poorly written, no real purpose and has more deaths on its hand than all our wars

Donald Trump hasn't been actively trying to raise money for the campaign though right? It's all been about self-funding, so until he pivots to more actively seeking aid....I dunno it is a ridiculously small amount either way lol. I mean the mechanism is there to for people to donate but it's not like he's out there sending Bernie 'help me' emails.

I mean, $3 million a month isn't enough to keep a campaign afloat. That's essentially zero ad buys anywhere. I'm sure his travel and jazz eats up a ton of that. That's no staffers. That's nothing.

The $3 million he sent to the RNC to help with the convention is nothing. Last I heard, they were $32 million short on funding this thing.

I don't think he has the liquid assets to afford this thing. He had a month of being the presumptive nominee and he left it with half of what he came into the month with. That's terrible, terrible strategy.

I wonder if we should FedEx some Bailey's to Rinse Pubis.

Edit: Still no Bernie numbers, but as of last week they refunded a fuck ton of money.

We can see Heller overturned in the next 4 years if we're lucky, which means individual cities can institute handgun bans again.
That doesn't work. People just drive a few hours from Chicago to Indiana where there are no regulations and then drive back. I want a repeal of the 2nd amendment.

johnsmith

remember me
This is all part of Donald's plan.

"I would self-fund in a minute," in the general election, Trump told NBC News in a phone conversation after his Las Vegas rally. "It's cheaper for me to self-fund."

I mean, $3 million a month isn't enough to keep a campaign afloat. That's essentially zero ad buys anywhere. I'm sure his travel and jazz eats up a ton of that. That's no staffers. That's nothing.

The $3 million he sent to the RNC to help with the convention is nothing. Last I heard, they were $32 million short on funding this thing.

I don't think he has the liquid assets to afford this thing. He had a month of being the presumptive nominee and he left it with half of what he came into the month with. That's terrible, terrible strategy.

I wonder if we should FedEx some Bailey's to Rinse Pubis.

I just find it hard to believe that if Trump was inundating his supporters with fundraising messages like Bernie was that he wouldn't rake in at least something substantial. I'm not trying to argue that it's not a hugely problematic thing for him, after all, if you shift to trying to raise money in the fall of the election year you're doing it wrong.

I guess it's one of those things where I don't understand why Trump wouldn't start immediately asking for money more directly if things are this dire? He'd implode in a month or two at this rate.

cogent

Banned
That doesn't work. People just drive a few hours from Chicago to Indiana where there are no regulations and then drive back. I want a repeal of the 2nd amendment.

And I want to get a time machine to go visit the Middle Ages. My wish is probably more likely to happen!

Teggy

Trump has been sending out fundraising...somethings. I've seen one from Instagram asking for $10 donations and I'm pretty sure there was an email one.

Question is when did these go out, and what has the response been to them? He's been telling his followers he doesn't want their money for so long maybe they took him on his word.

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 5m5 minutes ago Washington, DC
Nate Cohn Retweeted Nate Cohn
Trump status:
--38%, down 7 pts
--outspent 100%-0 on TV
--$1.3m COH, v. $42m for Clinton
--30 staff members

We have heard lots about Republicans being none too happy with Trumps rhetoric, but why are they not losing their minds at the staffing and money issues?

I just find it hard to believe that if Trump was inundating his supporters with fundraising messages like Bernie was that he wouldn't rake in at least something substantial. I'm not trying to argue that it's not a hugely problematic thing for him, after all, if you shift to trying to raise money in the fall of the election year you're doing it wrong.

I guess it's one of those things where I don't understand why Trump wouldn't start immediately asking for money more directly if things are this dire? He'd implode in a month or two at this rate.

The only fundraising email I know of was when he was trying to raise $100,000 a few days ago. What he thought he would do with $100,000 is anyone's guess. That's like Kev's scarf budget for December, I think.

I think he wants to do this as a cheap ass mo'fo. He beat 16 people by spending nothing, he'll beat one woman by spending nothing. He doesn't get, or perhaps his team doesn't get, that this shit is completely different.

I'm sure if he tried to raise some funds, he could....but it would be damaging to his brand. He's been "I'll self fund so whatever" for months now. If he turns around and tells his supporters to give him money...maybe he thinks that hurts him with his base?

Who knows what he thinks.

Makai

Trump has been sending out fundraising...somethings. I've seen one from Instagram asking for $10 donations and I'm pretty sure there was an email one.

Question is when did these go out, and what has the response been to them? He's been telling his followers he doesn't want their money for so long maybe they took him on his word.
I was getting donation emails. Not sure how I got on that list. Probably my randma gave them my email.

Why did the Democrats vote against the bill, and why did the Republicans vote for it? If not for party politics, why?
Because they were ineffective measures and they wanted their own. And yes they wanted to deny the opposition anything, but that's an ultimately who cares thing when there isn't any strategy to get anything done anyway in the face of well organised groups that can unseat representatives.

And I want to get a time machine to go visit the Middle Ages. My wish is probably more likely to happen!
I can't think of a single country in Europe where self defense is an accepted, legal justification for owning a weapon. France, maybe, but I don't know.
Because they were ineffective measures and they wanted their own. And yes they wanted to deny the opposition anything, but that's an ultimately who cares thing when there isn't any strategy to get anything done anyway.
I agree with your first sentence, but I think that having a fresh narrative in voters' heads contributes to the perception that Republicans block everything. The plan is clearly to take back the Senate and then pass gun control legislation later. If they wanted incremental progress they would have passed both of those GOP bills, which were reasonable.

People forget things. Here at PoliGAF we stopped talking about gun control 5 days after the shooting happened! What more the general population?

Teggy

This is all part of Donald's plan.

"I would self-fund in a minute," in the general election, Trump told NBC News in a phone conversation after his Las Vegas rally. "It's cheaper for me to self-fund."

What does this even mean? It's cheaper to spend millions of your own dollars than to take other people's money and spend none of your own money? He really does know how to deal!

itschris

QEgqXMC.jpg

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/745034804161314816

We have heard lots about Republicans being none too happy with Trumps rhetoric, but why are they not losing their minds at the staffing and money issues?

There was that story about Priebus talking to state delegates about ousting Trump. At the time I thought it was garbage but this would explain it. The RNC can't afford to pull tens of millions of dollars away from Congressional campaigns because Trump won't raise money.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No. The 2nd amendment doesn't guarantee an individual the right to own a gun by birthright. That's an erroneous scalia opinion that's 8 years old

Anyways. the 2nd amendment was clearly the worst thing from the Constitution behind slavery. Poorly written, no real purpose and has more deaths on its hand than all our wars

At the time it made sense. People lived in the middle of nowhere, they had to have a right to protect themselves. Constitutions can be changed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

How do you think this stuff starts? One place does it, then another and another until we all come together and institute it nationally.

How do you think this stuff starts? One place does it, then another and another until we all come together and institute it nationally.
No, because then other states would have adopted gun control regulations similar to the most restrictive states a long time ago.

There has been absolutely no implied obligation on Trump's supporters to.. support Trump. In fact that's the exact opposite of his campaign. His whole schtick is "watch how easily I win this I don't even have to try I'm just gonna win and it's gonna be great and America will be great and you're gonna love it". It's just "watch me fix everything". If he starts saying "I can't do this without you" it just undermines his whole persona.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No, because then other states would have adopted gun control regulations similar to the most restrictive states a long time ago.

It was happening before gun control got kicked in the teeth by the Republican Congress in the 00's and Heller. We had an assault weapons ban and cities were suing gun manufacturers to make guns safer.

Grexeno

Even if the 2nd amendment were to be repealed, that only means the federal and state governments could regulate guns without limits. Indiana would definitely not change any laws.

ampere

30 staff members is still so mindblowing. His "only gonna do rallies, no analytics or ads" message is actually true. He really plans to just do rallies.

Brings me back to the mindset of him having dementia or Alzheimer's. I guess I'm just shocked that he could be that stupid, but based on many of his business ventures, including Trump University, that is also a likely possibility.

It was happening before gun control got kicked in the teeth by the Republican Congress in the 00's and Heller. We had an assault weapons ban and cities were suing gun manufacturers to make guns safer.

This country's screwed forever. I've already applied for my German citizenship and will be adopting the name "Kristöffer".

royalan

Steve Lonegan on MSNBC flat out saying that Trump won't be the nominee to come out of the convention.

That, combined with the fundraiser numbers....

HylianTom

Banned
30 staff members is still so mindblowing. His "only gonna do rallies, no analytics or ads" message is actually true. He really plans to just do rallies.

Brings me back to the mindset of him having dementia or Alzheimer's. I guess I'm just shocked that he could be that stupid, but based on many of his business ventures, including Trump University, that is also a likely possibility.
There are those moments where I still wonder if he's deliberately trying to lose. That he was so damn good at media manipulation and messaging with the GOP primary and now so inept and asinine after this alleged pivot.. it's mind-boggling.

I'm starting to see journalists/commentators openly asking if he's trying to lose. This is surreal.

Teggy

But what's going on inside that campaign? If the Trump kids were supposedly pissed at Lewandowski for doing nothing, and Trump shocked that Lewandowski had no plan, and Priebus is complaining and everyone is noticing that no money is being raised, what have they doing all day up until now? Trump isn't the only guy there but is he literally shooting down any idea that involves raising money? It's completely baffling.

FnordChan

when is 538's trump vs. clinton national poll analysis coming out? are they waiting?

No need to wait for 538's poll analysis: Sam Wang at the Princeton Election Consortium has his daily snapshot of the current poll aggregate histogram ready and waiting for you. Or, for today's numbers:

Sam Wang said:
As of June 20, 8:02PM EDT:
State polls: Clinton 325 EV, Trump 213 EV Meta-margin: Clinton +3.44%
Clinton Nov. win probability: random drift 65%, Bayesian 85%
Senate snapshot: Dem+Ind: 50, GOP: 50, Meta-margin: D +0.18%

An explanation of the methodology and what this breakdown means are available at links at the top of his page. But, the basic interpretation: Queen is killin' it.

FnordChan

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Even if the 2nd amendment were to be repealed, that only means the federal and state governments could regulate guns without limits. Indiana would definitely not change any laws.

It would have to be federal at that point. Ideally though, we should start with decent funding and enforcement of an assault weapons ban. There is a reason why the AR-15 has been used in so many of the previous mass shootings.

https://everytownresearch.org/reports/mass-shootings-analysis/

High-capacity magazines — or assault weapons likely equipped with them — were used in at least 15 of the incidents (11%). These incidents resulted in an average of 13.3 total people shot — 155% more people shot than in other incidents (5.2) — and 7.5 deaths — 47% more deaths than in other incidents (5.1).

We could at least start there.

royalan

But what's going on inside that campaign? If the Trump kids were supposedly pissed at Lewandowski for doing nothing, and Trump shocked that Lewandowski had no plan, and Priebus is complaining and everyone is noticing that no money is being raised, what have they doing all day up until now? Trump isn't the only guy there but is he literally shooting down any idea that involves raising money? It's completely baffling.

A lot of pundits on cable news today saying that it seems like Trump thought that the RNC itself would take care of fundraising and setting up a national campaign infrastructure. I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom