• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
They couldn't come up with a decent one for France. :( Any ideas?

Français Away

tumblr_inline_n9jqtwyHEZ1qhtmig.gif

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I now realize the error of my ways. #Romney2012

We can't even agree that Obama is better than Carter now?

Also, I hope that's the last time I have to use the term "parasite class" used like that. I choose to believe that was a term the author made up but felt the need to put "so-called" in front of it to hide that fact out of shame.

Sibylus

Banned
I dreamed they made me the 9th supreme justice. First half was a lot of "wait what". Second half was, "alright, I'll give this my best, even though I'm not a lawyer, judge, or even an American citizen".

GoUSA.png
GoUSA.png
GoUSA.png

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I dreamed they made me the 9th supreme justice. First half was a lot of "wait what". Second half was, "alright, I'll give this my best, even though I'm not a lawyer, judge, or even an American citizen".

GoUSA.png
GoUSA.png
GoUSA.png

Finally a supreme court justice that's not an Ivy League graduated circuit court Judge.

Was more hoping for an elected or cabinet official to give the court a little perspective from the legislative side of the law, but it'll do.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
has anyone talked about whether or not they are still able to reverse Brexit before it happens? Like, can they do another voting referendum to say they dont want to do it?

thefro

has anyone talked about whether or not they are still able to reverse Brexit before it happens? Like, can they do another voting referendum to say they dont want to do it?

The referendum was non-binding, so nothing's formally happened yet.

Everything points to Parliament going ahead and leaving since the ruling party is worried their government might collapse if they went against the referendum.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Everything points to Parliament going ahead and leaving since the ruling party is worried their government might collapse if they went against the referendum.

I'm sure at least a couple of organizations are going to be re-polling the question over the next week or so. If there is a significant shift in public opinion, a second referendum is possible. Otherwise, I don't expect them to.

pigeon

Banned

The referendum they did is not binding but it's heavily suggestive.

I don't think it's really accidental that Cameron gave a deadline of October to resign and refuses to pull the ripcord before then, though. I'm pretty sure somebody is hoping that the public will reconsider.

I suspect that there will be elections and that at least one party (sounds like Lib Dems) will campaign on definitely not leaving the EU. Then the voters will have one more shot at keeping the dream alive.

I mean, the government's basically done anyway. Can Boris Johnson command a party which was until very recently led by a Remain campaigner and which is still 50% against leaving? I think elections are kind of inevitable.

Will be very interesting to see what the campaigning looks like at that time. Will the Remain-supporting Tories switch their stance?

Holmes

Party platforms are very whatever, and if this is Sanders' way of leaving his mark, then again, whatever. If anything, they can be dangerous. Glad the carbon tax proposal was voted down. The attack ads write themselves. And the $15 minimum wage plank is cute but Senate Dems will keep pushing for $12.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Sanders is not happy with platform committee results apparently.

Whiny baby.

i dont think there was a chance of any other outcome

The referendum they did is not binding but it's heavily suggestive.

I don't think it's really accidental that Cameron gave a deadline of October to resign and refuses to pull the ripcord before then, though. I'm pretty sure somebody is hoping that the public will reconsider.

I suspect that there will be elections and that at least one party (sounds like Lib Dems) will campaign on definitely not leaving the EU. Then the voters will have one more shot at keeping the dream alive.

i figured it was non-binding just because it would take forever to do, but i'm not really in tune with how British parliament works, so i didn't know how often these referendums come up or whatever. does seem there is at least a way to go back on the brexit if people actually want to stay after all

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
As a Finn:

- Support of main euroskeptic party has crashed after last election (where they got a massive victory), it is now less than 10%
- Our EU membership has been written in our constitution

We are not going anywhere.

If only the UK required 60% on referendums.

I was kinda pissed when FL passed "60% Required" amendment, but since then, I've decided it's for the best when dealing with direct democracy.

CCS

Banned

I was kinda pissed when FL passed "60% Required" amendment, but since then, I've decided it's for the best when dealing with direct democracy.

The government should have put that on this referendum. They didn't because of a mixture of cowardice and arrogance.

But it’s not a backlash against the economic arrangement, per se. The older workers and pensioners who backed “Leave” are handing power to men of capital like Boris Johnson and Farage, a former commodities trader; the working and middle-class whites who back Trump, if they succeed, will hand power to a longtime financial elite, leading a party that bends fully to the prerogatives of financial elites. No, this is a backlash against the cosmopolitanism of those elites, against the belief that they broke the contract that upheld the relative social and economic status of people like them. If you’re on the left, this is a backlash for all the wrong reasons.

This is critical. In our fixation on these dislocated whites, we forget those that haven’t embraced backlash. And in the United States, at least, we forget that the world of disadvantaged working people includes millions of people of color. They too have been harmed—often irreparably—by the march of financial capitalism and the weakening of the social safety net (if they even had access to it). But they reject the overtures of demagogues. Which is a reminder that, for as much as workers are circumscribed by forces out of their control, they aren’t pawns of history. They can still make choices. Nativism is one choice. We don’t have to respect it

Good points

Kusagari

The FL amendment itself is kind of a joke though because it passed without getting 60%.

Diablos

So looks like tons of Leave voters are having second thoughts and trying to change their vote?

Really hope we don't see a repeat of this low info voter fueled election suicide with Trump in November. He can't win.

dramatis

Well, this sounds cheerful.

[Politico] Get Ready: The Next ‘Citizens United’ Is Coming
Most Americans last heard from conservative lawyer Jim Bopp six years ago when he crafted a case, Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, that won the Supreme Court’s favor and helped uncork a torrent of cash—some of it secret—that continues pouring into elections.

But Bopp is back. The Terre Haute, Indiana-based attorney, who was literally laughed at by a judge when he made his first arguments in Citizens United, is now the lead lawyer in the most prominent of a series of lawsuits attempting to further destroy political contribution limits. The case, brought by the Republican Party of Louisiana, addresses restrictions on how state and local political parties use “soft money” contributions to influence federal elections.

Bopp’s clients argue that if independent outside groups such as super PACs are permitted to raise and spend unlimited amounts of such money, there’s no reason why state political parties, acting independently of federal candidates, should be treated differently. Political parties are “disadvantaged” compared with super PACs, Bopp said in an interview with the Center for Public Integrity. “They want to compete, and they want to do this activity without the severe restrictions that they suffer under,” said Bopp.

Bopp says he won’t rest until there are as few election rules as possible since he believes that too many rules lead to more opportunities to game the political system. “When you say, ‘Congress shall make no law,’ I know that’s kind of a shocking statement, but it’s a pretty definitive statement,” he said, referring to the First Amendment and its application to political speech. “There shouldn’t be any laws as opposed to thousands of pages of laws and regulations that you have now in the federal system.”
Fantastic.

Well, this sounds cheerful.

[Politico] www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/supreme-court-scotus-citizens-united-money-campaigns-political-new-fec-next-law-suit-213980"]Get Ready: The Next ‘Citizens United’ Is Coming

Fantastic.

Luckily there's a really easy way to make sure the SC votes this down.

teiresias

Luckily there's a really easy way to make sure the SC votes this down.

Kennedy also seems to have come around to the fact that he was being an ill-informed, ignorant little twat in the original CU decision so that's probably helpful in any new campaign finance cases moving forward.

Pixieking

Banned
So looks like tons of Leave voters are having second thoughts and trying to change their vote?

Really hope we don't see a repeat of this low info voter fueled election suicide with Trump in November. He can't win.

I think a clear difference between the US and UK is that the Hillary campaign is clear in what a vote for her will do vs. a vote for Trump. The absolute confusion over, for instance, free-movement-and-trade or the £350m a week claim is proof that the messages sent by Remain weren't clear, and the media perpetuated the confusion. Contrast this with the US - ads showing Trump mocking that disabled reporter, and the US media actually tearing apart what Trump says. Trump has his supporters, but I think he will struggle to convince anyone not already Republican that he's not an ignorant incompetent racist.

Viewing both countries from the outside, it's obvious that Clinton's campaign has a grasp of how-to-message that the entirety of Remain could only dream about. Had Trump pivoted to a general election stance immediately after he become the presumptive nominee, he could've set about changing his image, but not now. Clinton is dominating the battle of optics, and that should only continue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kennedy also seems to have come around to the fact that he was being an ill-informed, ignorant little twat in the original CU decision so that's probably helpful in any new campaign finance cases moving forward.

A couple of the conservatives have expressed regret about CU, I doubt this guy would get away with killing campaign finance further.

Fuchsdh

Probably doesn't hurt that Citizens United hasn't proven to be some election-swinging destroyer of worlds as people feared. Really its most disastrous impact is probably enabling corruption at a local level where comparatively small amounts of cash for a scare mailer campaign or the like can tilt the results.

I think a clear difference between the US and UK is that the Hillary campaign is clear in what a vote for her will do vs. a vote for Trump. The absolute confusion over, for instance, free-movement-and-trade or the £350m a week claim is proof that the messages sent by Remain weren't clear, and the media perpetuated the confusion. Contrast this with the US - ads showing Trump mocking that disabled reporter, and the US media actually tearing apart what Trump says. Trump has his supporters, but I think he will struggle to convince anyone not already Republican that he's not an ignorant incompetent racist.

Viewing both countries from the outside, it's obvious that Clinton's campaign has a grasp of how-to-message that the entirety of Remain could only dream about. Had Trump pivoted to a general election stance immediately after he become the presumptive nominee, he could've set about changing his image, but not now. Clinton is dominating the battle of optics, and that should only continue.

Yeah. Remain were all about how disastrous leaving would be, and made the mistake of taking the absolute worst case scenario in every instance which made it easy for people to argue that such things wouldn't happen. They did little to nothing to talk of the benefits of Europe, and didn't do nearly enough to counter the false claims Leave were making or to try and bring peoples understanding of how many European immigrants there really were and so on and so forth.

Clinton has spoken at length about the positives of electing her, and how she will lead. She doesn't just say 'Voting for Trump will be an absolute disaster so vote for me'... and that's basically the main thrust of what Remain did.

So protip

If you have the worst headache of your life don't just assume it's a migraine per usual. You will end up passed out in the middle of the bathroom only to wake up with a super cute doctor poking you...and not in a good way. Got to spend all night in the ER. May have been a TIA but I feel fine now. Thanks Obama. Seriously. Without the ACA that would have cost me a fortune.

thebloo

I think another factor is that Europe is not really used to lengthy and complex campaigns, since the systems are really different, whereas in the US most of the time is spent in "campaign mode". So the runners have better teams and the voters are more used to listening.

ampere

GoUSA.png
GoUSA.png
GoUSA.png

Girl you'd kill it.

Just ask RBG or Sonia if you got questions

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
All these articles early in the week were saying the Clinton campaign was taking PA for granted not running ads. They announce an ad buy (well, priorities) and now they are running scared.

ITS OVER

UK PENSIONERS VOTED FOR TRUMP

All these articles early in the week were saying the Clinton campaign was taking PA for granted not running ads. They announce an ad buy (well, priorities) and now they are running scared.

ITS OVER

UK PENSIONERS VOTED FOR TRUMP

If you haven't learned by now...there is never good news in Hillaryland. It's media diablosing 24/7 by the media. Welcome to my world 'a la 2008. It sucks. You'll love it.

So, something that's been pissing me off....and I couldn't figure out why. (Yes, I know Bernie is irrelevant as are the Bernie or Bust people...)

Bernie keeps going on and on about how the Democratic party has to earn his support. You know what? That's bullshit. Absolute bullshit, and proves, again, that Bernie cannot fail but can only be failed. One of the reasons he lost so spectacularly was that he failed to earn the Democratic party's support. Now, in defeat, he's gonna pretend he got leverage and shit? Naw, mate. Naw. That ain't how this works brah.

You want a place at the table? Fine. But you don't get to pick out the China, the food, the alcohol, the dessert and then bitch if it's not all to your specifications. Not cool man.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If you haven't learned by now...there is never good news in Hillaryland. It's media diablosing 24/7 by the media. Welcome to my world 'a la 2008. It sucks. You'll love it.

So, something that's been pissing me off....and I couldn't figure out why. (Yes, I know Bernie is irrelevant as are the Bernie or Bust people...)

Bernie keeps going on and on about how the Democratic party has to earn his support. You know what? That's bullshit. Absolute bullshit, and proves, again, that Bernie cannot fail but can only be failed. One of the reasons he lost so spectacularly was that he failed to earn the Democratic party's support. Now, in defeat, he's gonna pretend he got leverage and shit? Naw, mate. Naw. That ain't how this works brah.

You want a place at the table? Fine. But you don't get to pick out the China, the food, the alcohol, the dessert and then bitch if it's not all to your specifications. Not cool man.

Stop talking about bernie. It's bad for your skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom