• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hillary is not a bad campaigner. Look, she's run two national elections. Once against Obama, who is, by far, the greatest politician of any of our life times. And she basically got a tie. She ran a primary against Bernie who she couldn't actually attack or risk hurting his fee-fees.

Her GE campaign has been spot on. She's been on point the entire time since she's secured the nomination. She's getting soundbites out there. She's managed the news cycle insanely well. Her fundraising is good. She's doing well in the polls.

Kerry was a fine candidate. Not great, but fine. He basically did as well as would be expected given the circumstances of that election. I agree though that Mondale, Dukakis, and Gore were all poor candidates in various ways.

That awkward moment when the guy you've gone out with twice meets your mom for the first time, and you're terrified he's going to think you're as crazy as her (which you are but you need a good 3-4 dates to trap him anyway)....

My mom is randomly showing people her Hillary women's card, btw.. She also put a Hillary bumper sticker on the outside of her purse. It's tacky af. And she didn't stick it...she pinned it with a giant fucking safety pin.

Does she enter the room purse first?

ampere

What Brexit really taught us is what Trump winning the GoP nom taught us: polls > conventional wisdom.

So Trump winning here is still very unlikely, albeit possible.

She's about a million times better.

I think he may be saying in terms of candidate appeal in the GE. Hillary's appeal is pretty bad, like Cybit says, but she's extremely qualified and capable of doing the job.

itschris

Jill Stein!

Also, Gary Johnson:

q4MZvbU.jpg

Unsustainable entitlements are clearly why people voted to leave the EU. I'm sure Brits will be ecstatic to receive cuts to their pensions and the NHS!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jill Stein enters every room ass first.

Our system forces third parties to be ideologically extreme but really she sucks.

royalan

Hillary is not a bad campaigner. Look, she's run two national elections. Once against Obama, who is, by far, the greatest politician of any of our life times. And she basically got a tie. She ran a primary against Bernie who she couldn't actually attack or risk hurting his fee-fees.

Her GE campaign has been spot on. She's been on point the entire time since she's secured the nomination. She's getting soundbites out there. She's managed the news cycle insanely well. Her fundraising is good. She's doing well in the polls.

YAAAAASSS COME THRU!!!!

Tired of the "Hillary's a terrible campaigner" bullcrap when Hillary has run BY FAR the most PRISTINE campaign this cycle on both sides. She's leading in votes (second to only her 2008 SELF and Obama) while basically being on cruise control since February.

2008 was 8 years ago, y'all.

Brinbe

Not to mention she's also not saddled with idiots like Mark Penn this time around. She probably have would have beaten Obama in 08 if she had a truly competent team instead of just a bunch of overly loyal yes men/women last time around.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They couldn't come up with a decent one for France. :( Any ideas?

I think it works because "making a French exit" is a thing. I've gotten called out for it before.

GutsOfThor

I know a good number of people on gaf want Perez for VP, but after watching a few videos of him, I think he'd be a terrible pick. He's not made for the spotlight. He's rough in a not enduring way.

I feel the same way. For me the only choices are Kaine and maybe even Locke?

I was on the Beccerra train but that whole deal with the pardoning of the cocaine trafficker made me get off it. Clinton already has enough fucking baggage she doesn't need any more.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I just don't get people diablosing about Trump over the Brexit.

the situations are barely comparable

My concern is not that Brexit winning proves that Trump can win, but rather, the economic fallout in Britain could effect the U.S. economy as well. And if we go back into a recession by November, well hey we tried out a Democrat for 8 years already so...

Not to mention she's also not saddled with idiots like Mark Penn this time around. She probably have would have beaten Obama in 08 if she had a truly competent team instead of just a bunch of overly loyal yes men/women last time around.

To be fair, part of being an effective candidate is choosing a good team. I do think she's somewhat underrated as a campaigner though, partly because her weaknesses tend to be in some of the more visible areas, like giving speeches. She's much more effective at retail campaigning.

I think she also takes a bit too much criticism for not putting Bernie away. He was never really in contention and, as Nate Silver put it, she was playing prevent defense the entire time.

To be fair, part of being an effective candidate is choosing a good team. I do think she's somewhat underrated as a campaigner though, partly because her weaknesses tend to be in some of the more visible areas, like giving speeches. She's much more effective at retail campaigning.

I think she also takes a bit too much criticism for not putting Bernie away. He was never really in contention and, as Nate Silver put it, she was playing prevent defense the entire time.

You can't put away someone who won't leave.

I just saw them Wednesday night opening for Weezer, they put on an amazing show! Enjoy!

Yeah, I actually went to the concert just to see Weezer. It was a fantastic show! Had a great time.

ALL OF THEM

Don't Threaten Me With a Good Time
Victorious
They'll do Bohemian Rhapsody too, probably.
Emperor's New Clothes is good too

My two favorite songs are Build God then We'll Talk and Northern Downpour, but they don't do those live anymore :(

Yeah, I didn't really know any of their songs going in (except for the one that was in Rock Band), but they were really good. I know they played Victorious and Bohemian Rhapsody. Not sure about the others. But a great show. However, I was silently judging all the kids who left after Panic! but didn't stick around for Weezer. Maybe as a Weezer fan, I don't have much room to judge, but whatever!

Tamanon

Banned
Panic was decent on Tuesday night. I went for Weezer but they were solid also. Good Bohemian Rhapsody cover. Shame so many young'uns left after Panic went off!

Victorious will be their closer I believe.

HylianTom

Banned
That 33% for Trump in the Reuters poll.. ouchies.

Poll after poll shows that voters by wide margins don't think he's ready for the Presidency. I wonder if we're operating under different rules for him, where the party in power doesn't automatically get hurt by economic turbulence or international turmoil.

Seriously though, what's wrong with that Reuter's poll I posted?
To be honest, I haven't looked at anyone's crosstabs in a while, so I don't know. It just seemed so damn odd, and it makes me wonder where his floor is.

--

And Mia Love has announced that she's skipping the GOP convention. This is humorous.. she'd beeen floated as a potential VP pick.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seriously though, what's wrong with that Reuter's poll I posted? I only post the best polls. The very best.

Apparently Bernie got the DNC to put anti Death Penalty stuff into their platform?

This is actually not what Hillary was campaigning on, so I wonder if she'll change her position. I hope she does, the death penalty is pointless blood lust and not something she should advocate.

Yeah, I actually went to the concert just to see Weezer. It was a fantastic show! Had a great time.

Yeah, I didn't really know any of their songs going in (except for the one that was in Rock Band), but they were really good. I know they played Victorious and Bohemian Rhapsody. Not sure about the others. But a great show. However, I was silently judging all the kids who left after Panic! but didn't stick around for Weezer. Maybe as a Weezer fan, I don't have much room to judge, but whatever!

Glad you enjoyed it. I saw them last year in Cleveland when I had to sit out in the rain for the entire thing. I regret nothing. NOTHING.

Don't Threaten Me with a Good Time is the one that goes "Champagne, cocaine gasoline and most things in between" That one. I love that song.

Seriously though, what's wrong with that Reuter's poll I posted? I only post the best polls. The very best.

I have no idea. I've tracked them for a while. I've not heard anything bad about their methodology or results.

Well, I specified immigration.

Which was the main factor. Given the freedom of movement was generally thought a net positive for the UK economy, and the economic support these regions were given by the EU. Everyone who keeps wanting to deny this, really needs to just accept it and move on.

Whether it was racism and xenophobia driving that dislike of immigration or not is a different question. And highly likely. There being a lot of them doesn't mean they weren't driven by xenophobia.

And that doesn't really wax lyrical on the drivers of that immigration either. Which some will want to go at length apologising for I'm sure.

Or from the wisdom of the Simpsons: Immigants! I knew it was them! Even when it was the bears, I knew it was them.

I keep seeing "they couldnt ALL be bigots!" but like why not

sure they could

Yeah, I like the comparison we have further up that we're discussing whether the Civil War was actually about slavery. I assure you, there are that many racists. People like my father-in-law who sing "White Christmas" after Trump rallies. They exist, and they make up more than just a few idiots in the South.

the $15 minimum wage is unfeasible in smaller States

It makes sense in NYC, SF, DC and LA but it doesn't make sense in the middle of the country

Yeah, it would destroy Mississippi.

Also, Gary Johnson:

q4MZvbU.jpg

Unsustainable entitlements are clearly why people voted to leave the EU. I'm sure Brits will be ecstatic to receive cuts to their pensions and the NHS!

I really don't understand this idea that the UK is some special snowflake in the world that we should be throwing ourselves at them for insanely favorable trade deals. Like, one of the consequences of the Brexit is that we find the UK much less appealing, and we're also not in a rush to start more negotiations when we're already knee-deep talking to the much larger, more important EU.

YAAAAASSS COME THRU!!!!

Tired of the "Hillary's a terrible campaigner" bullcrap when Hillary has run BY FAR the most PRISTINE campaign this cycle on both sides. She's leading in votes (second to only her 2008 SELF and Obama) while basically being on cruise control since February.

2008 was 8 years ago, y'all.

Same. Hillary is exciting to a lot of people. If you want a candidate that wasn't, look at her most recent opponent.

Sanders and Stein going two for two on econowashing racism away.

Why do they struggle with minorities again? So weird

It's hilarious that they can't see it. Literally no different than my mom walking around saying "Why won't the black people vote for the Party of Lincoln?" without a hint of irony.

I feel the same way. For me the only choices are Kaine and maybe even Locke?

I was on the Beccerra train but that whole deal with the pardoning of the cocaine trafficker made me get off it. Clinton already has enough fucking baggage she doesn't need any more.

See, I just looked him up, and the first video that popped was him on the Daily Show (which I don't watch anymore :p). The first question was "What does your job entail? Like, what do you do?" and he starts off with "We help the middle class" to a good applause.

I think he's charismatic enough to do that. I really just want someone for Hispanic outreach. We have to make the US as a whole look like California with our Hispanic margins. If that happens, the GOP becomes a regional party overnight. Then we start chipping into certain regions, then states, then districts. Secure the White House and we free up a lot more resources (and even the WH can be relaxed if the Court is locked up).

Apparently Bernie got the DNC to put anti Death Penalty stuff into their platform?

This is actually not what Hillary was campaigning on, so I wonder if she'll change her position. I hope she does, the death penalty is pointless blood lust and not something she should advocate.

I'm also opposed to it, but only for economic reasons (and certain issues of justice via statistics). Like, I'm not opposed to people like Bin Laden being put to death, but an institutional death penalty would mean the chances of a wrongly convicted person being executed grows over time. That's unacceptable to me.

It is weird to hear people talking about Mia Love since she is my representative. But I think her skipping the convention is probably a smart move on her part since she's desperate for re-election and she probably knows any sign of supporting Trump would make things even worse for her here in Utah.

I don't expect her to win re-election. I voted against her in 2014, and I'll be voting for Doug Owens again this year.

itschris

Facts matter, especially to those concerned about the country, their futures, and the futures of their grandchildren. The electorate may not be the brightest, as H.L. Mencken always reminded us. But they do feel pain and do not relish it. Cats who jump on a hot stove are smart enough never to jump on a stove again. That may be the driving motivation in this election.

Even the so-called parasite class (dependents living at the expense of others) understand what is in their best interest. They will vote for whoever promises to extend their benefits. Yet the so-called parasite class is much smaller than the class who receive government assistance. Many are there not by choice, but by circumstance. Some have never been in this position before. They want a job again, where they can have a purpose, a role, and respect. Most who paid into the social insurance programs understand that these programs are not sustainable. They have been offered a choice that allows them to retain their current benefits or to pretend there is no problem. They will vote to protect what they have.

Given these obvious conditions, it doesn't seem that this election should even be close. The country is not that far gone! Arguably, Barack Obama has surpassed Jimmy Carter as the worst president of anyone alive today. Only the Kool-Aid drinkers and the infatuated mainstream media are so far gone as to not understand that.

I now realize the error of my ways. #Romney2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom