• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Senator Frank] Church was stunned by what the Church Committee learned about the immense operations and electronic monitoring capabilities of the National Security Agency (NSA), an agency whose existence was unknown to most Americans at the time. Church stated in 1975: "That capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything: telephone conversations, telegrams, it doesn't matter. There would be no place to hide." He is widely quoted as also stating regarding the NSA: "I don't want to see this country ever go across the bridge... I know the capacity that is there to make tyranny total in America, and we must see to it that this agency and all agencies that possess this technology operate within the law and under proper supervision, so that we never cross over that abyss. That is the abyss from which there is no return."
Some damn prophetic words here. Will we ever go back to respecting the constitutionally endowed privacy of Americans, again?

I was pretty vicious towards Sanders himself, for he is an asshole, but I don't remember being particularly bad toward his supporters here. I could be wrong though.

Amir0x

Banned
I was pretty vicious towards Sanders himself, for he is an asshole, but I don't remember being particularly bad toward his supporters here. I could be wrong though.

Sometimes people take insults against something or someone they like as a personal insult against themselves.

If you're not a Bernie supporter saying you're going to vote Trump now, as far as I've seen things have been alright, just pointed.

User1608

Banned
240 years, how cool. hope everybody had a happy 4th!!

Honestly I was probably an ass once or twice but I always made sure to direct my ire for the most part toward Bernie and frustration with a subset that would convert to Trump.

we've been so overwhelmingly pathetic on antitrust shit for the last few decades that its embarrassing. It's good that someone is actually interested in not bowing down to the almighty US tech industry by letting them run roughshod over smaller competitors because people like them

Can I just say how much I hate the notion that companies should basically be allowed to do whatever they want so long as their product or service is "cool." I see it all the time, even from people who would identify as progressive.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can I just say how much I hate the notion that companies should basically be allowed to do whatever they want so long as their product or service is "cool." I see it all the time, even from people who would identify as progressive.

Apple could make an iPhone that straight up murdered people but everyone would still be OK with it so long as the screen was slightly nicer than the old model.

He won his first Senate campaign by implying his (black) opponent was a pimp and a thug.

Fuck him. He'll fit right in.
Damn. I'm running out of "good" Republicans (Bob was the only Republican who didn't sign Tom Cotton's open letter to the Iranians stating they would not honor the nuclear deal.)

watershed

Banned
Ernst would be an interesting pick for VP for Trump. She is a textbook far-right nut. Reminds me of Palin but a bit more coherent on camera.

Bill Kristol said:
BREAKING: As gesture of support for Trump, Republican Jewish Coalition renames itself Republican Sheriffs Coalition.

Kristol pours like a gallon of straight ether down on Trump. Any normal person would drop out and immediately check into a burn unit right now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
One thing that frustrates me is the hardline stance about "consent" some people take with respect to services like Google vs the NSA. On the one hand, yes, it is an important distinction that you opt into using Google's services while you can't opt out of the government monitoring you. But you know...I don't see a lot of these folks who care so much about privacy actually choosing to not use Google services

City governments spending 30 fucking minutes on firework shows with two minutes of content shows that federalism is a failure, my column.

Anyway, Doug Owens had around 40 volunteers and interns marching with him in the parade today... Mia Love had 5.

It's not looking good for her.

Paskil

City governments spending 30 fucking minutes on firework shows with two minutes of content shows that federalism is a failure, my column.

Anyway, Doug Owens had around 40 volunteers and interns marching with him in the parade today... Mia Love had 5.

It's not looking good for her.

Not to state otherwise, but Bernie had the biggest rallies. Have you seen Trump's rallies?

watershed

Banned

Wilsongt

Yep, was just about to poast that Wikileaks jumped into the fray.

Come on new witch hunt by the internet mafia thinking they are trained detectives!

Paskil

Yep, was just about to poast that Wikileaks jumped into the fray.

Come on new witch hunt by the internet mafia thinking they are trained detectives!

Hillary: "And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky r/sandersforpresident sleuths!"

Wilsongt

David Shuster
‏@DavidShuster

.@FBI + DOJ team now drafting @HillaryClinton "prosecution memo," analyzing evidence, laws, odds of case success. Could help guide Comey.

Come again?

TI82

Banned
His statement is "We could proceed with an endorsement" but right away I want to say who is we?

Mistranslation maybe. I took it as "we would feel safe indicting her given the info we have, and they undoubtedly have more so they should feel even more comfortable."

royalan

Why do they use the word publish?

As though these aren't the same emails that have been available to the public for months, and that the FBI has likely already combed through?

Am I missing something? Or is this yet another case of "Why is Wikileaks still relevant?"

Assange would be comfortable indicting Hillary if she didn't sing the Birthday song twice while washing her hands.

I'm sure the FBI would be more than happy to interview him, in person, at his earliest convenience, about what he "discovered."

Risette

A Good Citizen
Am I missing something? Or is this yet another case of "Why is Wikileaks still relevant?"
Pretty much. They've been trying to make their "leak" a thing for months. It's Assange trying to get himself back in the headlines since his 15 mins are up (and have been for awhile).

itschris

CNN: Sanders' campaign is over, yet Secret Service motorcade roars on

"I think security is probably something we shouldn't be talking about too much," Sanders told CNN last week, walking with his protective detail through the halls of the Senate office buildings.

But many of his fellow senators are talking about it. Several told CNN privately they were stunned to see Sanders at the Capitol with such an entourage, particularly because the building is already secured by U.S. Capitol Police. One colleague, who declined to be identified to avoid publicly talking ill of a fellow senator, bluntly said: "Bernie's on an ego kick."

The Secret Service is also stretched thin, preparing for two additional high-profile protectees as both parties are preparing to announce their vice presidential candidates in July.

A spokesman for Sanders declined to discuss why the senator has not relinquished his Secret Service protection and his around-the-clock coverage in Washington, at home in Vermont or wherever he goes.

Sen. Ron Johnson, chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, told CNN that active presidential candidates should be protected. He stopped short of sharply criticizing Sanders, but said he hoped it would be resolved soon.

"At some point in time, hopefully Senator Sanders will realize he's not going to be the nominee of the Democratic Party and Secret Service protection can be removed," Johnson, R-Wisconsin, said.

"We protect candidates and I don't really think he can be defined as a candidate at this point," said a person involved in Secret Service protection, speaking on condition of anonymity, adding that Sanders' decision seemed "unprecedented."

Hehe, sounds like Bernie's fellow senators and the Secret Service are getting tired of dealing with him.

TI82

Banned
I saw an article a while ago saying that most of the other senators don't really like him since he has no hobbies other than fighting inequality and basketball and when he does hang out with the other senators he literally just talks about inequality. No chill from Bernie haha

When you put it like that, I feel kinda bad Bernie.

Bernie's security detail isn't there for physical protection. They're there to make sure no one can come up and ask him where he gets his weed. That being the only remotely productive thing to ask him about at this point, of course.

Just like Bill's FBI booty call arrangements, the media is grossly misrepresenting the facts.

Edit: Didn't want to post twice in a row, so I'll add on random other thoughts on the "sheriff's badge." Even if you wanted to make that case, how is it any less weird? I mean, we tracked down the origins of the image and know what it actually is, but its a grey web internet thing that conventional media has no idea how to process. So they try to take the badge thing at face value. And then what? Is some large law enforcement union backing Trump, specifically on his message of Clinton's alleged mega corruption? That's actually an even harder thing to try to explain your way out of than openly admitting it was about white supremacy. At least then general public could put the pieces together, instead of being confused on top of being suspicious.

Magni

Is this guy the biggest fucking crybaby to ever run for office? Why anyone would want an oversensitive manchild to run this country is beyond me.

He does not realize that if he would just admit that he made a mistake that he might score some points with people.

He would also lose points with others, is what he's thinking.
no that's not what he's thinking, he's thinking he didn't do anything wrong

2 new Democrats in the Senate? Wouldn't that be nice

I wonder if Bernie realises no one is listening to him any more. Must be a hard thing to accept.

And yet PoliGAF can't seem to talk about anything else. The primaries are over, its time to move on. This fixation some of you seem to have with Bernie Sanders is almost pathological.

dramatis

And yet PoliGAF can't seem to talk about anything else. The primaries are over, its time to move on. This fixation some of you seem to have with Bernie Sanders is almost pathological.
You have an odd fixation with complaining about PoliGAF too, but it's not like we're complaining about that.

There's nothing on the news, so naturally there's not much to talk about. Perhaps you have a policy article of some sort to share?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

That I agree with. I wish people would stop talking about him. The news media has, but certain posters in here can't let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom