• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
In some ways, I feel bad for John McCain, he was insulted by Trump and then the guy has the balls to claim we should bring back torture when he dodged the draft while McCain was actually being tortured. Then you have to imagine that he agrees way more with Clinton on foreign policy than Trump but he needs his voters to win. He could pull an Arlen Specter but then the left would lose their minds.

I imagine this would be the kind of dilemma Dems would have been in had LaRouche won the nomination one of those years.

Kite

More than that, its the mass murderers weapon of choice, presumably because its the best firearm for killing a whole bunch of people all at once. I mean, it is what it was designed for. Lets not pretend otherwise or that its coincidence that such a weapon has been used in five prominent mass shootings since 2012 began.
tzWfCYT.jpg

Na, this is why AR15s are popular. They look like actual military hardware and are very customizable (you can add a ton of frivolous attachments) so civilians can pretend like they are soldiers. As a civilian weapon ARs are gimped, they can't do 3 round burst or automatic fire like actual M4/M16s. They can only do semi-automatic fire like any hunting rifle.

I think of em like some teenager's Toyota Camry with racing stickers, a loud spoiler and tacked on wings.. people who don't know cars might think they're impressive but they're really not.

johnsmith

remember me
In some ways, I feel bad for John McCain, he was insulted by Trump and then the guy has the balls to claim we should bring back torture when he dodged the draft while McCain was actually being tortured. Then you have to imagine that he agrees way more with Clinton on foreign policy than Trump but he needs his voters to win. He could pull an Arlen Specter but then the left would lose their minds.

I imagine this would be the kind of dilemma Dems would have been in had LaRouche won the nomination one of those years.

I don't. If he had any integrity at all he should have refused to back Trump. If he loses he loses. Not like he's not old enough and rich enough to retire anyway. After Hillary winning nothing would make me happier than to see McCain lose.

I don't. If he had any integrity at all he should have refused to back Trump. If he loses he loses. Not like he's not old enough and rich enough to retire anyway. After Hillary winning nothing would make me happier than to see McCain lose.

Does that mean Romney and Kristol should be commended? Though they have no skin in the game.

tzWfCYT.jpg

Na, this is why AR15s are popular. They look like actual military hardware and are very customizable (you can add a ton of frivolous attachments) so civilians can pretend like they are soldiers. As a civilian weapon ARs are gimped, they can't do 3 round burst or automatic fire like actual M4/M16s. They can only do semi-automatic fire like any hunting rifle.

I think of em like some teenager's Toyota Camry with racing stickers, a loud spoiler and tacked on wings.. people who don't know cars might think they're impressive but they're really not.

yea because hunting rifles can easily fit 60 round mags and can be modified to shoot at an incredibly increased fire rate

There are plenty of products on the market that increase the fire rate of the AR-15 to near automatic speeds, and it's perfectly legal.

It's extremely disingenuous to hand wave away the AR15 because it's called a civilian model when it's so easy to ramp up how deadly it can be.

tzWfCYT.jpg

AR-15s were designed for the military.

For shooting people. Not for all those military hunting expiditions. Plus I'm not sure why your telling me why law abiding citizems buy them, I only speculated on why mass murderors have been choosing them.

Was working all day, so couldn't really post, talk, or read about this, but...

FUCK not politicizing this. Fuck it fuck it fuck it fuck it. I get respect for the dead, respect for the wounded, but FUCK not using every goddamn tool in the goddamn toolchest to stop this shit from happening! Emotional manipulation, fear, all of it should be fair game. People are fucking dying! I say we tie national defense to gun control, run around screaming about TERRORISM and paint every single goddamn NRA Republican as weak on defense, anti-American cowards.

God, I'm just PISSED!

If McCain wanted to switch parties after the election I'd be all for that.

Sure he'd be a huge pain in the ass but it never hurts to pad the caucus.

FUCK not politicizing this. Fuck it fuck it fuck it fuck it. I get respect for the dead, respect for the wounded, but FUCK not using every goddamn tool in the goddamn toolchest to stop this shit from happening! Emotional manipulation, fear, all of it should be fair game. People are fucking dying! I say we tie national defense to gun control, run around screaming about TERRORISM and paint every single goddamn NRA Republican as weak on defense, anti-American cowards.

God, I'm just PISSED!
I couldn't agree more.

Crayons

Banned

God, I'm just PISSED!

You know what, the same people who are saying "don't politicize it" are people who were politicizing trans people in their bathrooms.

So they're bullshitters is what I'm saying.

Paul Ryan's statement is actually pretty notable in that he isn't really politicizing the issue at all. He doesn't mention Trump, the election, or even any specific policies. The farthest he gets is saying that radical Islam is bad and we should oppose it.

If anything, Ryan's efforts to distance himself from Trump are forcing him to be more moderate in general.

Ryan's gone well beyond political yoga. The man is a straight political contortionist, or trying to be one.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
tzWfCYT.jpg

Kind of irrelevant suggesting where an AR-15 sits in the pecking order or what it is "supposed" to be used for when it has just been proven effective at being able to kill or injure 100 people within a matter of minutes. Being "gimped" in relation to other military hardware doesn't seem to be hurting it much in this instance.

Is there actually any other consumer product available on the market, with as little regulation, that could actually be leveraged to the same effect as this shooting? I can't think of one offhand. Even driving a big truck through a crowd of people wouldn't cause as much damage (and you'd need a commercial license to drive one in the first place and a truck is exponentially more expensive).

pigeon

Banned
Kind of irrelevant suggesting where an AR-15 sits in the pecking order or what it is "supposed" to be used for when it has just been proven effective at being able to kill or injure 100 people within a matter of minutes. Being "gimped" in relation to other military hardware doesn't seem to be hurting it much in this instance.

Is there actually any other consumer product available on the market, with as little regulation, that could actually be leveraged to the same effect as this shooting? I can't think of one offhand. Even driving a big truck through a crowd of people wouldn't cause as much damage (and you'd need a commercial license to drive one in the first place and a truck is exponentially more expensive).

Well, if you filled the truck up with fertilizer first you could have a significant impact.

But in terms of utility to death-dealing effectiveness, guns are certainly at the top of the chart.

I spent the entire day doing dad stuff away from the tv, telephone or internet. What a horrific thing to log on and see. Just fucking awful. I am so scared about my kids growing up in this world. :-( RIP. Love to the victims and their families.

NeoXChaos

the moment a Democratic House ever came to be again and passed gun control say goodbye to holding it. At that point might as well ram everything from Immigration to minimum wage to SC picks to voting Right Act 6.0 etc.

Drakeon

the moment a Democratic House ever came to be again and passed gun control say goodbye to holding it. At that point the might as well ram everything from Immigration to minimum wage to SC picks to voting Right Act 6.0 etc.

Get as much shit done as possible in 2 years, chances are we'd lose the midterms regardless.

the moment a Democratic House ever came to be again and passed gun control say goodbye to holding it. At that point the might as well ram everything from Immigration to minimum wage to SC picks to voting Right Act 6.0 etc.

The thing is a large majority of the country at the very least wanted more background checks. We can't even get things through that the American people want. Another huge problem is that the gun problem is so bad it would be a decade before meaningful gun legislation had a signifcant impact because of the proliferation of guns currently. By the time things started getting better the republican congress would just repeal it

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Well, if you filled the truck up with fertilizer first you could have a significant impact.

Aren't toxic fertilizers regulated in the US? Not to mention you still have the cost and portability issues.

But in terms of utility to death-dealing effectiveness, guns are certainly at the top of the chart.

In terms of the package of cost, portability, access, and killing effectiveness nothing comes close that I can think of.

NeoXChaos

The thing is a large majority of the country at the very least wanted more background checks. We can't even get things through that the American people want. Another huge problem is that the gun problem is so bad it would be a decade before meaningful gun legislation had a signifcant impact because of the proliferation of guns currently. By the time things started getting better the republican congress would just repeal it

Either people are lieing to posters about supporting gun control, its not a priority they consider worth throwing their congressmen out for or the districts that R's control don't want it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Aren't toxic fertilizers regulated in the US? Not to mention you still have the cost and portability issues.

In terms of the package of cost, portability, access, and killing effectiveness nothing comes close that I can think of.

Yep there is a reason our soldiers are equipped with guns and not fertilizer trucks, pipe bombs, pilot licenses and cars as weapons.

pigeon

Banned
Yep there is a reason our soldiers are equipped with guns and not fertilizer trucks, pipe bombs, pilot licenses and cars as weapons.

I mean, we actually give our soldiers plenty of land and air vehicles and ordnance as well as guns.

The difference is mostly that you can't get an unmanned assault vehicle at Wal-Mart, but you can get guns approximately as good as the ones our military uses.

Chichikov

tzWfCYT.jpg

Lacking burst mode and/or full auto doesn't make it gimped. In fact those firing mods are barely useful in combat situations.
In terms of killing potential, those weapons are pretty much the same, you think of them wrong.

ampere

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Arguing with gun nuts on facebook is both entertaining AND depressing. Not sure how those two go together.

ampere

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkzURIZUUAAe7yE.jpg:large[IMG][/QUOTE]

I remember the ACLU being against this because the list didn't have due process, but honestly I think gun buying is a dangerous enough thing to err on the side of caution. The 2nd amendment has convinced people gun ownership is this inalienable right, when it really should be a special privilege when certain criteria are met.

Either that or disqualify someone after a domestic abuse incident, or something similar.

[quote="Kristoffer, post: 206681855"]The establishment never changed the title.[/QUOTE]

Still 186 pages left for them to do it

itschris

Based on the title, I was having deja vu, thinking this article was from last week. But nope, this is news from Bernie's Sunday gathering with his staff and major supporters:

New York Times: Bernie Sanders Refuses to Concede Nomination to Hillary Clinton

“We are going to take our campaign to the convention with the full understanding that we are very good at arithmetic and that we know, you know, who has the received the most votes up to now,” Mr. Sanders said after the meeting, standing on his front lawn with his wife, Jane. Among the dozen or so people who attended the gathering were Benjamin T. Jealous, a former president of the N.A.A.C.P.; Congressman Raúl M. Grijalva of Arizona; Nina Turner, a former Ohio state senator; and Bill McKibben, the environmentalist and author.

Notably, Mr. Sanders also said he would continue his efforts aimed at “transforming the Democratic Party,” a sign that his main goal may no longer be to become the nominee.

Besides defeating Mr. Trump, advisers say his focus is to get his ideas, like universal health care and free public college, reflected in the party platform. Refusing to concede and release his delegates to vote for Mrs. Clinton could be a negotiating tactic for winning concessions on the platform. If his delegates tried to nominate Mr. Sanders from the floor of the convention next month, the scene could damage Mrs. Clinton at a time she is trying to project strength and party unity.

According to a person who attended the meeting at Mr. Sanders’s home Sunday, and who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe a private gathering, there was no talk from Mr. Sanders about trying to win the nomination. The group was keenly interested in how the senator’s meeting with Mrs. Clinton on Tuesday will turn out, and whether he would get assurances that she would fight for his ideas, this person said.

Woody Allen is writing, directing, and starring in a movie inspired by Senator Bernie Sanders that focuses on living in that self flagellatory political hellscape where you can say you are doing something revolutionary but you have kept everyone's expectations (including your own) low enough to avoid the responsibility of fulfilling quixotic promises, all in a desperate ruse to trick college students into paying off your gambling debts. He's calling it "Beefshank Redemption".

Diablos

“I simply want to get a sense of what kind of platform she will be supporting, whether she will be vigorous in standing up for working families and the middle class, moving aggressively on climate change, healthcare for all, making public colleges and universities tuition-free,” he said of Tuesday’s planned meeting. “And after we have that kind of discussion and after we can determine whether or not we are going to have a strong and progressive platform, I will be able to make other decisions.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-campaign_us_575d638be4b0e39a28add33c

Bernie, she's not going to agree to all of that 100%, you petulant child.

royalan

I've been saying this for weeks. Bernie wants to win even though he lost.

He'll land the plane, alright. But only if Hillary concedes her own platform in favor of his.

IMO, I think Hillary should play the game and accept part of Bernie's Anti-Wall Street crap to shut him up for the campaign but then toss it in the trash after inauguration.

Focus on more important issues IMO once in the oval office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom