• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

IMO, I think Hillary should play the game and accept part of Bernie's Anti-Wall Street crap to shut him up for the campaign but then toss it in the trash after inauguration.

Focus on more important issues IMO once in the oval office
He seems to be settling for an 'all or nothing' strategy though.

So, basically, we have to sufficiently kiss his ass. Ridiculous.

If the end result is that Bernie and his progressive movement is considered part of the Democratic party rather than a fringe wing / independent Green party insurgents it will be worth it, and it's the correct thing to do.

I think Bernie should be more of an Adult here, but his inability to do so is one of the reasons why I didn't vote for him.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I remember the ACLU being against this because the list didn't have due process, but honestly I think gun buying is a dangerous enough thing to err on the side of caution. The 2nd amendment has convinced people gun ownership is this inalienable right, when it really should be a special privilege when certain criteria are met.

Either that or disqualify someone after a domestic abuse incident, or something similar.

There needs to be more transparency, as much as they can provide anyway, and a clear method to get removed from the list, with a max time limit.

IMO, I think Hillary should play the game and accept part of Bernie's Anti-Wall Street crap to shut him up for the campaign but then toss it in the trash after inauguration.

Focus on more important issues IMO once in the oval office
His plans for Wall St are largely pointless jibber jabber. Something something Glass Break Up the Farmers on the Audit Fed.

That's a fucking disaster. She can't do that. He's too far left.

What would she really be conceding to him though, other than trade, which she pretty much has already done? Most of the disagreements have been about the degrees of how far they can go rather than the ideas themselves

pigeon

Banned
nyt said:
In recent days, it had been unclear whether Mr. Sanders intended to stay in the race, and even on Sunday he did not rule out the possibility that he would formally concede the nomination in the coming days.

Jesus Christ, people.

His plans for Wall St are largely pointless jibber jabber. Something something Glass Break Up the Farmers on the Audit Fed.

This for me is the biggest issue. For all the talk about wallstreet Bernie never once brought up why Hillary's plan isn't good enough. His only real argument was, well I don't trust your plan because you take money from Wallstreet.

It isn't like she doesn't have a plan for financial reform. Nobody has actually bothered to tell anyone why it won't work or what the problems with her plan actually are.

Diablos

What would she really be conceding to him though, other than trade, which she pretty much has already done? Most of the disagreements have been about the degrees of how far they can go rather than the ideas themselves

And that clearly isn't good enough for him.

Not just protecting and strengthening the ACA, has to be single payer.

Not just making college way more affordable, it has to be free for all.

Bernie is so fucking stubborn. Really wondering if he is taking advantage of the news cycle and trying to get a couple more weeks out of this.

And yes in this political climate in 2016 when DONALD TRUMP is the Republican nominee, Sanders is too far left and out of touch. Sorry, this isn't the year for a candidate like him.

This for me is the biggest issue. For all the talk about wallstreet Bernie never once brought up why Hillary's plan isn't good enough. His only real argument was, well I don't trust your plan because you take money from Wallstreet.

It isn't like she doesn't have a plan for financial reform. Nobody has actually bothered to tell anyone why it won't work or what the problems with her plan actually are.

nothing is ever good enough when it comes to extremists.

even nominating Liz Warren as VEEP won't be enough for him

CkzURIZUUAAe7yE.jpg:large
I would hope Heitkamp would come around if her vote was actually the deciding one.

Also if you posted this on OT people would probably try and blame Warner for not voting.

Effect

I can't stand that he thinks he can force this even though he lost. No. You don't get to have your way when you were on the losing side. There are reasons why she got more votes then him. They agree on over 90% of things. That should be enough. Where they differ there are actual reasons that have been explained. Those shouldn't just be ignore because he wants to try and stay relevant. I hope she doesn't give him anything other then the minimum wage point at the very least. Hell not even that is something he should really get. Even with that he's still going to go to the convention.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I do not expect him to endorse her or campaign for her. I do not expect him to stay registered as a member of the democratic party either when this is done. If he gets to speak at the convention it's going to be a bad scene I think because he either will attack the party itself or he will make it completely about himself.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I know. I'm actually Joel and trying to get the show back on air.

Yeah, I watched it weekly too :(
Was quite shocked when they canceled it.

They never took themselves seriously, and it just worked that way.
Some of the Youtube reaction channels have filled the void, like H3H3.

Bernie is so fucking stubborn. Really wondering if he is taking advantage of the news cycle and trying to get a couple more weeks out of this.

And yes in this political climate in 2016 when DONALD TRUMP is the Republican nominee, Sanders is too far left and out of touch. Sorry, this isn't the year for a candidate like him.

Right but when Bernie says " be vigorous in standing up for working families and the middle class, moving aggressively on climate change, healthcare for all, making public colleges and universities tuition-free,”

Other than tuition free college, what does Hillary really as a platform disagree with? It won't take much for her to argue she does support all these things and will be working for it. Her current college plan makes community college free, she wants to nearly double the minimum wage, etc. so it isn't like she doesn't already have a super progress platform.

I don't think it's going to be a situation where she has specific details and policies forced upon her

Effect

Right but when Bernie says " be vigorous in standing up for working families and the middle class, moving aggressively on climate change, healthcare for all, making public colleges and universities tuition-free,”

Other than tuition free college, what does Hillary really as a platform disagree with? It won't take much for her to argue she does support all these things and will be working for it. Her current college plan makes community college free, she wants to nearly double the minimum wage, etc. so it isn't like she doesn't already have a super progress platform.

I don't think it's going to be a situation where she has specific details and policies forced upon her
See I think it's actually the details he wants. If it was just about the overall elements this wouldn't be a problem. The difference between their stances on several issues came down to the details of how they wanted to go about them. This was the big thing about their debates from gun control, how to address fracking, wall street, minimum wage, education, etc. When he says his positions he's largely talking about how they're reached I believe. That New York debate is a good example of the differences and him trying and failing to back her into a corner to agree with his details on something related to social security I think.

Suikoguy

See I think it's actually the details he wants. If it was just about the overall elements this wouldn't be a problem. The difference between their stances on several issues came down to the details of how they wanted to go about them. This was the big thing about their debates from gun control, how to address fracking, wall street, minimum wage, education, etc. When he says his positions he's largely talking about how they're reached I believe. That New York debate is a good example of the differences and him trying and failing to back her into a corner to agree with his details on something related to social security I think.

Whoa, hold up there.

Sanders wants the details?

Have you been watching this primary at all?

Edit: If Sanders had details, I would not have been nearly as down on him at the beginning of the primary.

Valhelm

contribute something

Isn't the general consensus that Donald Trump would be easier to defeat than a garden-variety Republican? If this is the case, then now is the time for actual progressive change.

Yeah, I watched it weekly too :(
Was quite shocked when they canceled it.

They never took themselves seriously, and it just worked that way.
Some of the Youtube reaction channels have filled the void, like H3H3.
H3H3 seems pretty funny, thanks for the recommendation. Nothing will ever fill the soup shaped hole in my heart, though. I have watched the soup for over 90% of its running time. It's cancellation was worse to me than Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show.

kirblar

Isn't the general consensus that Donald Trump would be easier to defeat than a garden-variety Republican? If this is the case, then now is the time for actual progressive change.
Have you been asleep for the past decade? We've been getting actual progressive change. I'm sorry that we're not willing to go back to failed economic models and throw it all in the dumpster.

pigeon

Banned

The best way to create progressive change is not to elect a more progressive candidate, it's to elect more progressive candidates.

Because of the way that House seats work, getting huge coattails from the presidential candidate is critical. Once we control a House seat, inertia means that it will probably stay Democratic for a while.

So the best thing to do against a weak opponent is to run the strongest candidate you can so that you can get more control over the branches of government. For similar reasons, once we get control of the House and Senate, we can pass legislation that will be permanent because it's very difficult to overturn legislation once it's been passed.

Effect

Whoa, hold up there.

Sanders wants the details?

Have you been watching this primary at all?

Edit: If Sanders had details, I would not have been nearly as down on him at the beginning of the primary.

Of course his aren't anywhere close to being actually detailed as hers but not sure what other word to use. Maybe path. Let's try that. She want to do something by going down path A with all the detail you'd expect and her reasons for going this way. He wants to do it by going down path C (details may vary or not be there, same with the reasoning to back it up). Now that he's loss, after both paths were presented to people, he likely wants her to adopt going down path C anyway as a method of adopting his positions to get his support and likely to back off.

Did you do an online search of media coverage? Have you tracked anyone down in person or online with relevant experience + JD/PhD?

So, basically, we have to sufficiently kiss his ass. Ridiculous.
Any possibility he's looking for an excuse to run third party or independent? He can walk away from Hillary and say, 'She hasn't taken our issues or policy plans seriously enough for me to support her. These issues must get a hearing in November."

Suikoguy

Any possibility he's looking for an excuse to run third party or independent? He can walk away from Hillary and say, 'She hasn't taken our issues or policy plans seriously enough for me to support her. These issues must get a hearing in November."

Still on that "I hope he fucks over the country" train huh?

fauxtrot

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sanders' "hardball tactics" are actually attempts at getting as many of his supporters as possible to vote for Clinton in November. I could see him putting on a show like this to keep his "loyal" followers from jumping ship to Trump out of spite post-endorsement... if he had changed his tune immediately, a small but not insignificant portion of his supporters would turn on him, but if he makes it look like he got her to move to the left on all those issues she's actually already on the left about, nothing actually changes regarding Clinton's stances but Bernie's supporters can delude themselves into claiming a small victory.

Or he's doing all of this just to save face because his pride is hurt.

Or he's going to do something stupid and jeopardize Clinton's chances of adding most of his supporters to her coalition.

I guess we'll see on Tuesday night. I started this post with cautious optimism and now I'm just anxious. =/

Suikoguy

I'm not all that worried, when after meeting with Sanders, Obama endorsed Hillary. He would not have done that without at least getting tepid approval.

Subtle

It seems like Bernie just can't win with PoliGAF. What Bernie is doing is the best possible thing he could do in his current situation (which, admittedly, is a hole he dug himself into). If he immediately conceded and endorsed Clinton his base would be devastated. At least like this if he pretends to be tough on Clinton, his eventual endorsement will appear hard-earned and legimate. Ya'll need to chill.

Of course if he doesn't give up eventually, then you guys can be mad.

It seems like Bernie just can't win with PoliGAF. What Bernie is doing is the best possible thing he could do in his current situation (which, admittedly, is a hole he dug himself into). If he immediately conceded and endorsed Clinton his base would be devastated. At least like this if he pretends to be tough on Clinton, his eventual endorsement will appear hard-earned and legimate. Ya'll need to chill.

Of course if he doesn't give up eventually, then you guys can be mad.

Yeah. If you're a politician and you fight for the people, and you are convinced that your agenda is right for the people, you'd fight to the last of your ability to make the country better.

Sanders is not "too far left". His role has always been to push the democrats left. And this is not Sanders fault. There has been a storm brewing between liberal democrats who have been outnumbered by moderate democrats for a long time. Back in 2014, TheAtlantic ran a piece on this that highlights a lot of what we are talking about now, just minus the Sanders;

Many Democratic insiders minimize the party's divide. They note that there's broad ideological agreement on social and cultural issues, from abortion and gay marriage to gun control and immigration. National-security and foreign-policy questions have the power to divide but are no longer litmus tests. Even on economic issues, the party generally speaks with one voice: in favor of universal healthcare, against reducing safety-net programs, for progressive taxation and government-driven economic stimulus. Neera Tanden, president of the Center for American Progress, told me in an email that the Democratic Party just doesn't get hung up on internecine battles these days. "I believe that it's a big-tent party that can and should accommodate centrists and liberals," Tanden said. "That ideological purity has not been a winning strategy for the other side."

But this high-altitude view elides real differences, such as disagreement over how much to raise taxes and on whom, how much to regulate industry, and whether to press not just to preserve but to expand those safety-net programs. (In addition to the Cuomo-de Blasio feud, Warren's signature proposal would increase Social Security benefits, and Obama's push for new free-trade agreements has run into resistance from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.) And the divide isn't so much about issues as tone and tactics. The Warrenites harp on the gap between rich and poor and inveigh against big business; the centrists assure their big corporate donors that Democrats can be business-friendly.

( http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...als-dont-control-the-democratic-party/283653/ )

This narrative being spun is that Sanders is bringerof this storm. Not true. This is all the doing of the democratic party. It's amazing how this word, for word shows you the rhetoric used to talk about the differences between them being negible as a que call for Sanders to go fuck himself. Strikes me as absurd.
It's not ideological purity bullshit. It's a rift in perspective, and this is not the time to pipe it down under a faux sense of unity.
Being progressive for change can be uncomfortable, scary and potentially dangerous. That's why traditionally brave people are those who are willing to stand by their unpopular opinions and not let themselves be belittled or fall into line.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; It never was, or is about Sanders. He stumpled into this at a pecurilar time. He is just a harbinger of what is naturally going on among a significant part of the populace.

Warren should be the VP. That is how you give real symbolic credence to this liberal wing of democratic party. That is not Tea Party rhetorics either (false). It's just acknowledging that as Sanders has been too obtuse on many of his proposals, so has Clinton on the specifcs of some of her dedications to pushing Bankers to task. From 3 years ago;

Conversely, Obama’s failure to lead a bold progressive movement has dulled the appetite for another anti-establishment, outsider campaign. Time and again, leaders say they still feel burned by the experience and will have a hard time getting “fired up” again. It doesn’t help matters that none of the men who might challenge Clinton -- including Vice President Joe Biden, Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley, and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo -- are in position to offer up much of a contrast with her ideologically. Perhaps the most interesting thing about any of them is that O’Malley inspired The Wire’s Tommy Carcetti.

Clinton seems to have largely rehabilitated her image in the eyes of liberal primary voters and interest groups, a remarkable feat given just how bitter things got in 2008. Back then, many on the left flank of the party villainized her husband as a reckless narcissist who foisted NAFTA and financial deregulation on the nation, and skewered her as a calculating hawk who had cheered the Iraq War and helped pass George W. Bush’s regressive 2005 bankruptcy bill, among other alleged evils.

It’s not that Clinton has moved that far to the left in the intervening four years. Her role in overseeing the expansion of the national-security state, encouraging construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, and backing approval of the Trans-Pacific Partnership have raised a few eyebrows, but her allies have at least for now largely succeeded in sweeping those concerns under the rug – along with questions about her six-figure speaking fees and a highly lauded but arguably rather mediocre tenure at the State Department.

Put another way, Clinton will eventually have to come face to face with the growing skepticism of big money coursing through some corners of the country, which in many ways has only grown stronger during the Obama presidency as income inequality has continued to rise.

So even if the next presidential election is still years away, disillusionment with the administration’s inside-game strategy of securing the business community’s support for major policy initiatives -- whether Obamacare, gay marriage, or immigration reform -- has many lefties looking to the horizon for the next big thing in Democratic reform politics. Clinton would do well to beware: Sending ominous signals on issues like Social Security cuts and Wall Street reform is likely to invite a familiar kind of insurgency.

( http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-wing-learned-to-love-hillary-clinton/278633/ )

Sanders become this scapegoat for things that have been brewing, and it's largely a fallacy. Both his supporters, and Hillary supporters give him too much credit.
Any leader, has to consolidate his or her forces. Any leader who is worth a damn will push for what is right. Sanders is doing that, hoping that he can win progress. It might not work. Liberal democrats might continue to be a rarity in the US Democratic even though they like to mascarade like they are all so progressive right now, but that would be a shame.

Because to defend the current status quo is to defend Israeli defense policy, failed state foreign policy, a lack of commitment to tackle income inequality of which Clinton has been obtuse, deflective and have not given specific areas to tackle besides superficial no-shit-sherlock worth pieces like "I will punish bankers". It's not enough. It's too arbitrary. Just like Sanders has policies where he is not specific enough, so does Clinton.

Weed, Israel, more than a 3 dollar minimum wage increase (look at what it would have been had you accounted for inflation from when it was frozen to now). Bernie would be the biggest failure if he doesn't use his leverage to push her left.

She doesn't want to, because who the fuck wants more commitments? Thats like adopting a sick cat with all sorts of diseases. It's a pain in the ass and just more obligations. I understand why she don't want to give him inches, or make Senator Warren the VP. Headaches! But I sure as hell also understand why Sanders fight this fight.
He is probably toast after this. He is old, like other ex-presidential candidates, he will fall into obscurity as a meme. This is his last time to make a impact that matters.

How will Bernie Sanders punish bankers in a specific, non-arbitrary way?
What specific concession is he after there, so that he can go back to Vermont and I can never hear about him again, because he is boring.

Why should the loser that lost get to dictate what he gets out of losing?

Farmboy

Still on that "I hope he fucks over the country" train huh?

He didn't say he was rooting for it, just that it could be a calculation of Bernie's. Drawing conclusions based on post history is a bit unfair as he's obviously trying to clean up his act.

Btw I'm with the 'he'll concede this week' crowd.

How will Bernie Sanders punish bankers in a specific, non-arbitrary way?

0,5% tax on stocks, bonds and general speculation; http://www.robinhoodtax.org/how-it-works

If you run on that you're going to tax someone at 0,5% that seems specific to me. We can argue of that would cover the cost of programs that Sanders wish to implement, but that is another story.

The question is; will Clinton put specific numbers on. How much will be Obamacare be expanded? Saying you want to expand Obamacare can mean many things. But if you say you want to double it, then you're committing to a goal right there, right?
I think a rift comes from both politicians depending on who you like. If you already dislike someone, their explanations and justifications will seem ill sufficient, and vice versa if you like someone. Hillary and Bernie supporters accuse each other of the same thing.

The onus is also on Sanders simply because the nature of having the more radical and untested platform will be met with resistance, where Hillary has a platform that largely builds on Obamas platform, which probably fuels into how you feel about it right now given the state of affairs.

NYtimes had a good article about the income inequality being made largely worse due to the taxation policy. Even though its from 2014 I would expect the trend to be largely similar; http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/17/opinion/inequality-unbelievably-gets-worse.html?_r=0

It makes me think that Sanders is not completely off the money on thinking that solving this through taxation is a bad policy, even if the taxation probably wouldnt pay for his social programs like free college ( http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-sanders-says-wall-street-tax-would-pay-his-/ )

Why should the loser that lost get to dictate what he gets out of losing?

Well he didn't lose. He did what nobody in history has done without the help of corporate funds. He has done the impossible essentially, while running on a insurgent campaign, as a nobody, came out and started a conversation.

He ran on a platform he didn't belong too. His supporters are not democrats, but people who either don't care much for the political process, are disgusted by it, or just hate Hillary. So he has tapped into a base that is off limits to the democratic establishment.

He gets to dictate terms if the democratic party feel they need those votes. Maybe they won't move in an inch, and tell Sanders to go home. Plausible. Calling his bluff, he can be the next Nader. Which he has said from the beginning which he won't want to be.

If Sanders represents a wing, a army, a faction, and the Queen wants that faction to her under her banner, she has to use those famous kids gloves of her.
I'd like to see Warren be VP because she represents his values, but without the Sanders baggage of a toxic campaign. Warren is in the fight with Trump, she is respected by all, she has Sanders leanings but the compromise nature of Clinton. She has the best of Clinton and Sanders.

So Sanders has to play his part and puff chest and then like Ron Paul, it's over for him. And that is okay. It's up to his supporters to carry it forward in grassroots movements that helps people on the ground and local elections.
But Clinton could make a lot of these people happy by having Warren VP.

Even if she finds another one who has a very vocal track record, there just aren't anyone else who has spearheaded and become the face of these issues. And like all other voter blocs, white young liberals are selfish and want their needs addressed amist all their privilege. Making Warren VP is more of a symbolic gesture than it would give actual change, but then again you might say that Sanders has been more of a symbolic insurgent than the guy who was actually going to transform America.

Idealism vs pragmatism. You need both, and depending on where you are either of those will mean a lot to you:D

The fucker is going all in:

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 7m7 minutes ago
Trump on ISIS: "we have to knock out their internet capability"

Trump on Fox: "we have to really increase the bombing"

Trump on Fox: "tens of thousands pouring into" US just like Omar Mateen

Trump on Fox: "we have to be extremely strong about looking at the mosques"

Trump: many Muslims living in US now "are worse than" Omar Mateen

Trump on ISIS: "they make passports better than we do"

Trump on Obama approach to terrorism: "not tough, not smart or he has something else in mind"

Jenna Johnson ‏@wpjenna 12m12 minutes ago
On Fox and Friends, Donald Trump says the U.S. is at "absolute war." He says that President Obama should resign because he "has no clue."

Aylinato

Well he didn't lose. He did what nobody in history has done without the help of corporate funds. He has done the impossible essentially, while running on a insurgent campaign, as a nobody, came out and started a conversation.

He ran on a platform he didn't belong too. His supporters are not democrats, but people who either don't care much for the political process, are disgusted by it, or just hate Hillary. So he has tapped into a base that is off limits to the democratic establishment.

He gets to dictate terms if the democratic party feel they need those votes. Maybe they won't move in an inch, and tell Sanders to go home. Plausible. Calling his bluff, he can be the next Nader. Which he has said from the beginning which he won't want to be.

If Sanders represents a wing, a army, a faction, and the Queen wants that faction to her under her banner, she has to use those famous kids gloves of her.
I'd like to see Warren be VP because she represents his values, but without the Sanders baggage of a toxic campaign. Warren is in the fight with Trump, she is respected by all, she has Sanders leanings but the compromise nature of Clinton. She has the best of Clinton and Sanders.

So Sanders has to play his part and puff chest and then like Ron Paul, it's over for him. And that is okay. It's up to his supporters to carry it forward in grassroots movements that helps people on the ground and local elections.
But Clinton could make a lot of these people happy by having Warren VP.

Even if she finds another one who has a very vocal track record, there just aren't anyone else who has spearheaded and become the face of these issues. And like all other voter blocs, white young liberals are selfish and want their needs addressed amist all their privilege. Making Warren VP is more of a symbolic gesture than it would give actual change, but then again you might say that Sanders has been more of a symbolic insurgent than the guy who was actually going to transform America.

Idealism vs pragmatism. You need both, and depending on where you are either of those will mean a lot to you:D

He lost by 5 million votes.

I mean, no, he lost.

It would have been impossible to win. They would never elect a socialist nor an atheist or a tax raising one. He had political suicide written all over him. It's not even due to him that he got this far, which should have been possible. The DNC and RNC should not have allowed these people who are not part of that community to take advantage of their platforms, with their own financing, endorsing and media outlets. This election has been such a freak show. One that likely will never happen again.

By 2020 election campaign financing will go upwards 3 billion (from 2 billion spent this election). So if Sanders run out of money constantly and doesn't have the time, power, money or campaign staff to even campaign in all those states where he lost, nobody else is going to raise money needed to combat the SuperPACs in the next election.

So I really, really, really hope for all Americans sake that Hillary will be succesful in overturning Citizen United. Let us hope it will happen.
If she managed to do that, she would be like Sulla taking control of rome and then disbanding his legions and giving it all away. She'd be shutting down the very SuperPAC fumes that got her into office.

It would be very amazing if she really is going to do that. A gesture that would undermine many Sanders concerns and pessimism for the process I think.

He lost by 5 million votes.

Yes. I'm surprised it wasn't a lot more. Sanders should not have gotten further than Nader. It doesn't really make sense if you really think about it.

CCS

Banned
The fucker is going all in:

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 7m7 minutes ago
Trump on ISIS: "we have to knock out their internet capability"

Trump on Fox: "we have to really increase the bombing"

Trump on Fox: "tens of thousands pouring into" US just like Omar Mateen

Trump on Fox: "we have to be extremely strong about looking at the mosques"

Trump: many Muslims living in US now "are worse than" Omar Mateen

Trump on ISIS: "they make passports better than we do"

Trump on Obama approach to terrorism: "not tough, not smart or he has something else in mind"

Leaving the rest of this aside, quite how is that supposed to happen? Is Trump not familiar with the fact we have these amazing new phones which can connect to the internet these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom