• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

Of course an art director I am friends with on FB, who I would like to continue working with... claims that we shouldn't be looking at "guns" as a culprit, because he could have just as easily killed with a different instrument.

Of course I'd love to tell him it would probably be kind of difficult to kill 50 and wound 53 others with a knife.

This fucking country

NeoXChaos

CkxeGlBWgAAUr0u.jpg

Wilsongt

Since 9/11 you could count on one, maybe two hands the amount of terrorist acts committed by Muslims in the US.

Yet, according to the far right, fuck all the other peaceful Muslims in the US who haven't done anything or hurt anyone, or those who come into the country who won't hurt anyone.

Besides, weren't all of the terrorists attacks done on soil by radical Islamists natural born citizens except the Boston bombers?

Of course an art director I am friends with on FB, who I would like to continue working with... claims that we shouldn't be looking at "guns" as a culprit, because he could have just as easily killed with a different instrument.

Of course I'd love to tell him it would probably be kind of difficult to kill 50 and wound 53 others with a knife.

This fucking country

If you are mentally ill enough, toenail clippers can perfectly work!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think Hillary should take a backseat on this issue though she needs to lay low for a day or two. Do not let the GOP monopolize security and fear mongering.

Crayons

Banned
You know what I don't get?

Okay, so we call it "radical Islamic terrorism" or whatever the hell they want us to call it. And what? What does that do? Is this like fucking Rumpelstiltskin? We get the name right and it just magically stops?

It was an act of hate and, yes, an act of terrorism.

You know what else is an act of hate and an act of terrorism?

Me getting the shit beat out of me when I was 13 so badly that one of my kidneys shut down. And when my parent went to the school, the principal looked us in the eye and said "If he wasn't so obviously gay it wouldn't offend the students with religious convictions." (It may have also been an act of hate when my mom launched herself at him across the desk too...)

Or when I was 15 and a group of "Christian" protesters screamed at me and my parents as we were at my first pride parade. When they threw their bigotry at us, they managed to tell my parents they should be ashamed and I should be taken away from them so I could be "normal." They terrified me.

Or the dozens of times I've been called faggot, or whatever else they wanted to throw at me.

I didn't see a hijab there. Or the Quran.

What I saw was the same shit we always see: hatred, narrow mindedness, and stupidity. And people will use anything to justify their hatred and their fear.

Fuck.

Oh man, I'm so sorry you've been through shit like that. I have too. I remember how awful Middle School was for me. I was called a faggot every day and I'd be hit by other male students all the time. When my mom found out about it, and reported it to the principal, he did absolutely nothing. I dreaded going to school. I had a load of absences simply because I didn't want to go to school, I didn't want to subject myself to the torture. You'd almost think I grew up a long time ago or something, no. This was as late as 2008.

No one gave a shit about me or what I was going through, and its probably because of that I became such a cold, uncaring antisocial person that I am today.

I don't think Hillary should take a backseat on this issue though she needs to lay low for a day or two. Do not let the GOP monopolize security and fear mongering.

I agree, but you let Trump make the first move because it's fucking Donald Trump. He'll shit all over it. Then you can go out and show what real leadership looks like

teiresias

The cognizant dissonance it takes for those on the right to say we should ban people and take away rights from citizens to solve a problem but not ban a certain kind of machine or even regulate the purchase of it will never cease to amaze me.

Oh man, I'm so sorry you've been through shit like that. I have too. I remember how awful Middle School was for me. I was called a faggot every day and I'd be hit by other male students all the time. When my mom found out about it, and reported it to the principal, he did absolutely nothing. I dreaded going to school. I had a load of absences simply because I didn't want to go to school, I didn't want to subject myself to the torture. You'd almost think I grew up a long time ago or something, no. This was as late as 2008.

No one gave a shit about me or what I was going through, and its probably because of that I became such a cold, uncaring antisocial person that I am today.

I'm sorry you went through that. : hugs :

My parents ended up pulling me out of school in 9th grade. A kid who was just allowed to return to school from house arrest was making threats that he was going to "hang the faggot." Literally took my parents about 30 seconds to get me the fuck out of there. To quote an Elton John song, I'm not one of those who can easily hide.

But I realized...fuck 'em. Fuck all of them. They aren't even worth our hatred. If I hate them, I let them have a small part of me. I cannot control their bigotry. I cannot control their hatred. I cannot control their actions.

What I can do, though, is refuse to hate them. I refuse to give them power over me. I refuse to even think about them 99% of the time. They aren't even worthy of derision. They are nothing.

: hugs :

Wilsongt

The cognizant dissonance it takes for those on the right to say we should ban people and take away rights from citizens to solve a problem but not ban a certain kind of machine or even regulate the purchase of it will never cease to amaze me.

Guns don't kill people. Mental ill radical Islamic terrorist kill people.

Clinton will push this further forwards in her message I don't doubt it.

I'm sure she will push for the reinstatement of the assault rifle ban which her husband signed into law. This law survived legal challenges, and only went away because it had a built in expiration date. There were, to my knowledge, no mass murders carried out with AR-15s during it's ban.

As others have said, put a less lethal weapon in that guy's hands and less people die. Be it a pistol or a shotgun or a knife. We banned these weapons before precisely because of fear of events like this occurring.

One of Mateen's ex-coworkers at G4S security told me he complained about the man's frequent slurs attacking gays and blacks.

"He would never have more than 3 or 4 sentences without using the word n****r or queer or dike. It was always about violence." he told me.

Mateen also dalliances at PGA Village neighborhood. "All he wanted to do was cheat on his wife. He had very little respect for women."

The co-worker, Daniel GIlroy, said he complained to G4S supervisors but they didn't want to do anything because Mateen's Muslim faith

Pretty sure it's okay to fire someone for saying n***** over and over again even if they're Muslim.

But this guy sounds like he was the worst person in the world.

https://twitter.com/DavidOvalle305

What a monumental tragedy that the people in this LGBT community which were targeted would be hurt the most by the political gains of the guy trying to capitalize on this moment. Literally adding insult to injury to a group that was being treated like second class citizens with these bathroom laws just last week.

This election is beyond even a nightmare I could have ever imagined. Every time you think Trump has reached his threshold with the American people something happens which gives him a bailout and new life for his fear-stoking campaign. I hate that I even have to think about politics at a time like this because Donald Trump gives us no choice but to.

ampere

https://twitter.com/igorvolsky

This guy on twitter is posting tweets from various members of Government, and then posting how much they've received from the NRA. He's doing good work by spreading more awareness on the NRA's influence.

example:
.@SenThomTillis got $2,459,881 in expenditures from @NRA & voted against making it harder for terrorists to get guns

Okay, so we call it "radical Islamic terrorism" or whatever the hell they want us to call it. And what? What does that do? Is this like fucking Rumpelstiltskin? We get the name right and it just magically stops?

Fuck.

Jon Favs shared a good piece on why Obama doesn't call it that

https://www.yahoo.com/news/heres-wh...r-to-radical-islamic-terrorism-203120388.html

It's not your fault that you had to go through that. Bullying is awful

/hug

Wilsongt

Thankfully the American electorate has the memory of a gnat and we are far enough out from the election that Dump shouldn't have a significant, long-lasting bump from this event.

Thankfully the American electorate has the memory of a gnat and we are far enough out from the election that Dump shouldn't have a significant, long-lasting bump from this event.

I hope that with the way Trump has treated this situation(very horribly, surprise!) and the fact that Republicans blocked the gun sales ban on people on FBI watch list, people will see through Republican's bullshit. But man, whole situation is really terrible. I hope and pray for the best for the victims and their families.

Fuck Paul Ryan.

Fuck everyone obsessed with the religion of the terrorists. Fuck them fuck them fuck them. Fuck them.

Since we're making demands of people for not using certain phrases:

Dear Paul Ryan, you are no longer allowed to mention the religion of the terrorist group ISIL unless you also make sure to mention that they have targeted followers of Islam above all other groups, and killed far more of them than they have Americans or Christians.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

It was an act of hate and, yes, an act of terrorism.

You know what else is an act of hate and an act of terrorism?

Me getting the shit beat out of me when I was 13 so badly that one of my kidneys shut down. And when my parent went to the school, the principal looked us in the eye and said "If he wasn't so obviously gay it wouldn't offend the students with religious convictions." (It may have also been an act of hate when my mom launched herself at him across the desk too...)

Or when I was 15 and a group of "Christian" protesters screamed at me and my parents as we were at my first pride parade. When they threw their bigotry at us, they managed to tell my parents they should be ashamed and I should be taken away from them so I could be "normal." They terrified me.

I didn't see a hijab there. Or the Quran.

What I saw was the same shit we always see: hatred, narrow mindedness, and stupidity. And people will use anything to justify their hatred and their fear.

Fuck.

Maybe they see "radical jihadists" in the same way we look at "All Lives Matter"? A technically correct term that doesn't give enough weight to what they see as the specific problem. It's proof that Obama won't fix the problem because he doesn't even know what the problem really is.

To continue the analogy, I would guess getting him to say "radical islamists" would be similar to getting an "all lives matter" person to strictly say "black lives matter". It means very little until it's followed up with action, but we know that follow up action has no chance of occurring if they can't even clear the lowest bar of using the right terminology.

As for what exactly they see in "radical jihadist" that misses the point, I'd guess they want to do something about radical islamists before they pick up a gun and commit violence, and want to downgrade the civilians in the middle east from innocent bystanders to ISIS sympathizers.

I hope that with the way Trump has treated this situation(very horribly, surprise!) and the fact that Republicans blocked the gun sales ban on people on FBI watch list, people will see through Republican's bullshit. But man, whole situation is really terrible. I hope and pray for the best for the victims and their families.

They blocked attempts at passing a new ban on assault rifles after Sandy Hook, and the AR-15 continues to be the weapon of choice when you want to commit a mass shooting. It can't have anything to do with much more lethal it is than a standard firearm. It must just be a coincidence.

Everyone in the senate who voted that bill down 60 to 40 should be ashamed. And I know from those numbers that there were democrats who voted against it.

Maybe they see "radical jihadists" in the same way we look at "All Lives Matter"? A technically correct term that doesn't give enough weight to what they see as the specific problem. It's proof that Obama won't fix the problem because he doesn't even know what the problem really is.

To continue the analogy, I would guess getting him to say "radical islamists" would be similar to getting an "all lives matter" person to strictly say "black lives matter". It means very little until it's followed up with action, but we know that follow up action has no chance of occurring if they can't even clear the lowest bar of using the right terminology.

As for what exactly they see in "radical jihadist" that misses the point, I'd guess they want to do something about radical islamists before they pick up a gun and commit violence, and want to downgrade the civilians in the middle east from innocent bystanders to ISIS sympathizers.

If only the Muslims in the middle east were 'innocent bystanders'. The sad truth is they are far from bystanders, and the biggest victims of their hate and terror.

Fuck Paul Ryan.

Fuck everyone obsessed with the religion of the terrorists. Fuck them fuck them fuck them. Fuck them.

Since we're making demands of people for not using certain phrases:

Dear Paul Ryan, you are no longer allowed to mention the religion of the terrorist group ISIL unless you also make sure to mention that they have targeted followers of Islam above all other groups, and killed far more of them than they have Americans or Christians.

I live in Orlando and have been trying to reach out and contact every one of my friends who may have been in the nightclub that night. Last week an imam who advocated the death penalty was allowed to speak at an Islamic centre in an Orlando suburb.

Its kind of hard to describe the tears of joy I get upon seeing each and every gay and lesbian person I have today.

I'm much more concerned with the victims of this horrible attack on US the gay community in this city than I am with any outrage over "islamophobia" today.

Pretty sure it's okay to fire someone for saying n***** over and over again even if they're Muslim.

But this guy sounds like he was the worst person in the world.

https://twitter.com/DavidOvalle305
Thats um..a lot of hate. Specifically more so towards LGBT. The guy hated his ex-wife too. I dont want to draw conclusions but if you ask me theres some repression going on here. He took it out on the people that were maybe casing him grief? I know its too early to tell etc, but that kind of hate is coming from somewhere.

I've made some decent money on PredictIt from people making poor bets. Time to buy more Hillary stock.

The only area where I got owned was on Bernie Sanders. I have him fighting to the convention. I might lose there.

I live in Orlando and have been trying to reach out and contact every one of my friends who may have been in the nightclub that night. Last week an imam who advocated the death penalty was allowed to speak at an Islamic centre in an Orlando suburb.

Its kind of hard to describe the tears of joy I get upon seeing each and every gay and lesbian person I have today.

I'm much more concerned with the victims of this horrible attack on US the gay community in this city than I am with any outrage over "islamophobia" today.

Don't let the LGBT hating terrorist fuckhole push you into buying into the anti muslim rhetoric of people like Donald Trump.

It would be adding to the tragedy if this terrorist succeeds in encouraging anyone else to hate the billions of Muslims that don't subscribe to the extreme beliefs of ISIL. The same Muslims that ISIL have murdered in greater numbers than they have attack Americans of any creed, religion or sexual orientation.

It seems apparent that this guy sympathized with a very specific terrorist group. Don't let the LGBT hating right use the deaths in the LGBT community in Florida that you find yourself part of as leverage in their campaign of hate against another group.

ISIL want you to hate all the Muslims that aren't part of ISIL. That's literally part of their goals. They hate them too, and it just lends credence to their recruiting rhetoric which is based on the notion that we in the west want to wipe out every Muslim. It drives more people to their cause.

Please don't fall into that trap.

Today I have spoken out against LGBT bigotry. Today I have spoken out in favor of common sense gun control. I have condemned that heinous 'reap what you sew' tweet out of Texas. I have condemned Islamophobia. We can speak out against all of these things today, tomorrow and going forwards.

I think we'll have to wait until later in the week. Right now the focus isn't really on trump, id imagine if he doubles down on his Muslim ban tomorrow or the next day then the media will be non stop talking about trump again and maybe that will affect his numbers

Zornack

Don't let the LGBT hating terrorist fuckhole push you into buying into the anti muslim rhetoric of people like Donald Trump.

It would be adding to the tragedy if this terrorist succeeds in encouraging anyone else to hate the billions of Muslims that don't subscribe to the extreme beliefs of ISIL. The same Muslims that ISIL have murdered in greater numbers than they have attack Americans of any creed, religion or sexual orientation.

It seems apparent that this guy sympathized with a very specific terrorist group. Don't let the LGBT hating right use the deaths in the LGBT community in Florida that you find yourself part of as leverage in their campaign of hate against another group.

ISIL want you to hate all the Muslims that aren't part of ISIL. That's literally part of their goals. They hate them too, and it just lends credence to their recruiting rhetoric which is based on the notion that we in the west want to wipe out every Muslim. It drives more people to their cause.

Please don't fall into that trap.

Today I have spoken out against LGBT bigotry. Today I have spoken out in favor of common sense gun control. I have condemned that heinous 'reap what you sew' tweet out of Texas. I have condemned Islamophobia. We can speak out against all of these things today, tomorrow and going forwards.

Christianity, Islam and to a lesser extent Judaism all have major issues when it comes LGBT individuals. These aren't beliefs only held by extremists.

Why not be concerned with both?

Hate crimes shouldn't be used to perpetrate other hate crimes.

What hate crimes? LGBT people are not going into mosques and killing 50 Muslims. I don't hate Islamic people.. there are about a billion Muslims on Earth and it would be ridiculous to lump them all in the same category -- but every nation which prescribes the death penalty for homosexuality is a Muslim country.

Hatred toward gay people within the Umma is a huge problem that needs to be addressed.

Diablos

I am just so angry that we are unable to do common sense things like prevent those on no fly lists from also buying a gun. It's not a cure all BUT WHAT CIVILIZED NATION WOULD NOT TAKE THIS STEP? Ours, apparently.

The NRA has blood on their hands, I don't care what anyone says. Their utter paranoia over the notion that the government would take everyone's guns away is just absurd.

Fuck, I am so upset. And to top it off we have Trump running around like a jackass enabling this stupid type of thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom