• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

itschris

Politico: Trump's dwindling VP options depress senators

Donald Trump has said he wants a vice president with Capitol Hill relationships who can help get his agenda through a divided Washington.

But his options in Congress are rapidly dwindling as Trump approaches the Republican convention. On Wednesday, two top contenders — Joni Ernst, the fresh-faced, first-term Iowa senator, and Bob Corker, a top GOP foreign policy hand — crossed their names off Trump’s list or stopped just short of doing so. That leaves Sens. Jeff Sessions, a staunch immigration reform opponent from Alabama and Trump’s closest Hill ally, and long-shot pick Tom Cotton, the youthful and hawkish freshman from Arkansas, as the most prominent names remaining from the congressional pool.

The withdrawals Wednesday further depressed Senate Republicans who are still looking for some measure of reassurance from Trump’s unrelenting campaign controversies
and who thought his choice for running mate could be a soothing gesture.

“I don’t need to say any more about the campaign,” said Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), who added that it was disappointing Corker and Ernst declined to be considered. “I understand their reluctance, I’ll put it that way.”

Trump and his GOP critics agree on one thing: A vice-presidential candidate familiar with Congress and the ways of Washington would be a major boost to his campaign. Former Speaker Newt Gingrich would meet that threshold, though it’s been nearly two decades since he left Congress. Republicans on Capitol Hill are pushing harder for an active legislator, which is why Ernst and Cotton found themselves the subject of intense public lobbying by their colleagues.

Republicans being floated for the No. 2 post — particularly those who could run for president themselves in the future — face a tough call. They’re weighing the call of duty to the Republican Party against stepping into the great unknown of being forever associated with Trump.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You think it's a lock for Hillary to choose warren if Newt is on the other end of the ticket? Feels that way to me.

The GOP wouldn't recover in the next 20 years, the gender gap would be damn near solidified.

OMG, Trump just stole his tweet from r/The_Donald

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/4rgyga/disney_is_antisemitic/

Actually, now that we know that Dan Scavino posts to his twitter account, who knows who is actually posting these things. Do we think Donald knows how to post an img to twitter?

Seriously? What the flying fuck?

kess

Looks like the picture that Trump retweeted was sourced from r/the_donlad

EDIT: Shit, I'm getting beaten on every post today!

Valhelm

contribute something
Y'know how demographics folk talk about how Trump needs to perform well among suburban Republican-leaning female voters?

This is a bullseye for Team Hillary. I'm still in awe here.

White soccer moms could be poised to stab the GOP in the back come November. If this happens, I'll be really interested in how the GOP reacts. As wealthier white women slip away, can they really afford to keep up the misogyny?

pigeon

Banned
OMG, Trump just stole his tweet from r/The_Donald

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/4rgyga/disney_is_antisemitic/

Actually, now that we know that Dan Scavino posts to his twitter account, who knows who is actually posting these things. Do we think Donald knows how to post an img to twitter?

This should incidentally be a good lesson on why you should never listen to reddit. It's basically the equivalent of hiring a frat party as your consulting firm if the frat party were also really into weird fetishes.

Emarv

EDIT: And just now, he tweeted this:

3mOipBP.jpg

Trump just can't let this go!

I'm not sure we'll ever fully understand how lucky we are to be watching this. This is just incredible.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Here it is, one of my favorite political sketches of all time:
Connie Chung Gets the Best of the Gingriches

I love Jeff Daniels as Dan Rather and Janeane Garofalo as Newt's mom. If you ever catch me calling him "Newty," this sketch is why.

And here's the real-life moment that inspired it, where Connie Chung told Newt's mom that her answer would be kept "just between you and me" - the "she's a bitch" interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vecw539MjWM

Is this also the SNL with one of my favorite sketches of all time, "Movie Talk" with Chris Elliott and Jeff Daniels? The one where every time Chris plays a different clip from one of Jeff's movies, it's the toilet scene from Dumb and Dumber?

Teggy

I've noticed that white supremacists have taken to putting ))) ((( around their twitter names (the opposite of how that widget was marking Jews).

kess

Kay Bailey Hutchinson's former PR guy

Matt Mackowiak
‏@MattMackowiak

Disciplined Trump speech in Ohio tonight focused on Star of David, Saddam Hussein, Scotland trip and Chuck Todd.

Uh oh O'Reilly is promoting a segment coming up about Obama's "secret Muslim past" and saying that what is revealed "may shock you!"

I'm hoping he shows that fake birth certificate

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Either way he got it from the alt-right and/or white supremacists

Uh oh O'Reilly is promoting a segment coming up about Obama's "secret Muslim past" and saying that what is revealed "may shock you!"

I'm hoping he shows that fake birth certificate

COLMKBTWL_01.gif

kess

You know if Trump's so aghast about his aides taking the picture down, he's more than welcome to post it again

I thought you were alpha Trump

I... just watched Bill O'Reilly tag team with Bret Stephens (from the Wall Street Journal editorial board) to spin Comey's entire prosecution career as being a puppet of the liberal establishment, just like when he went after Ashcroft (which makes no sense because the establishment during the Ashcroft scandal was neoconservative and he was APPOINTED BY BUSH) (and also, he has butted heads with the Obama administration). Also said the big takeaway from all this was that Clinton tried to mislead the public and prosecutors when Comey specifically said there was no intent to mislead, just incompetence.

Up next: "Obama's ties to the muslim world", to wit, pictures of him in foreign garb at a Muslim wedding.

Fucking hell, these conservatives.

EDIT: Holy shit, this is his half brother's wedding. God fucking damn it, "deep emotional ties to Islam". The entire point of this segment is to cement Obama's affiliation and empathy with Islam.

ampere

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmuPmrTWYAAYWf5.jpg:large[IMG]

Appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Better training in de-escalation and reducing bias would go a long way if it was pushed hard. It's probably going to be difficult to break the current police culture, but that's the right idea I think

Guest: "Obama's a devout Christian..."
Bill: "Wooooooah woah woah woah. Devout? How did you come to that assessment?"

*later*

Bill: "Do you think that's really a good idea, though? For our president to be sympathetic to ALL cultures and ALL religions?"

GutsOfThor

So after the events of the past couple days, it's pretty clear that if Clinton wants to win she'll pick Warren as her VP. She doesn't need anymore fucking baggage from Kaine or Beccerra and she needs an attack hound which rules out Perez and Castro since nothing I've seen of either of them indicates they would be adequate in that regard.

Put me on the Warren train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom