• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSsBrolly

Banned
What Ryan did is perhaps my most despised political trick. They complement the last guy when he no longer matters in order to make the guy who currently matters look worse by comparison.

"I never thought Jimmy Carter would look so good, but Bill Clinton has done the impossible by making Carter look downright moderate."

"Obama sure is no Bill Clinton. The days of Democratic centrism are long gone."

Coming soon: "I never thought I'd live to see it, but Hillary makes me think fondly on the Obama days."

You're forgetting talk radio used to say they'd rather have Hillary than Obama after he won. I'm sure you could find plenty of material where they borderline praised her from 09-12.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Lol

a6a960d2f96024c53c2169c4621ed093.png

I think the GOP is crazy to call themselves the party of lincon

Polling on the emailz:
ABC_Clinton_Emails_v02.png

Democrats see things very differently, but with less unanimity –- about two-thirds approve of the decision not to charge Clinton and think the issue is unrelated to what she'd do as president. But three in 10 of Clinton’s own party faithful think she should have been charged.

Further, as noted, political independents side more with Republicans on the issue, with roughly six in 10 saying the FBI was wrong and that the issue raises worries about Clinton as president.

Forty-five percent of Republicans say the issue makes no difference in their vote -– likely meaning they wouldn't have voted for Clinton anyway -– while another 47 percent say it makes them less apt to support her. Among Democrats, the email issue makes no difference to three-quarters, and 16 percent say it's strengthened their support (likely given that she wasn't charged) -– but one in 10 say they're less likely to vote for her because of it.

Most independents, 58 percent, say the issue won't influence their choice, but those who say it's made them less likely to support Clinton far outnumber those who say it's made them more apt to vote for her, 33 percent vs. 5 percent.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/majo...-charge-clinton-emails-poll/story?id=40445344

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Further, as noted, political independents side more with Republicans on the issue, with roughly six in 10 saying the FBI was wrong and that the issue raises worries about Clinton as president.

I can't even. 60% of people? This paradigm of "Well, I know better than [insert organization/career/person here] because of reasons" is reaching insane levels in this country.

My bro-in-law is an Ohio State Highway Patrol officer. They are forcing him to work at the RNC in Cleveland next week as crowd/protest control outside the convention. He really doesn't want to do it - and my sister is freaking out about it...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Still need to see how they actually impact preference numbers. Like its ridiculous to say 3/10 democrats wanted her indicted though. Wtf.

this article is sooo good.

kamaria_HRC_06232016_875.0.jpg

Laurie Rubiner, who served as Clinton’s legislative director from 2005 to 2008, recalls being asked to block out two hours on the calendar for “card-table time.” Rubiner had just started in Clinton’s office six weeks before, and she had no idea what card-table time was, but when the boss wants something put on the calendar, you do it.

When the appointed day arrived, Clinton had laid out two card tables alongside two huge suitcases. She opened the suitcases, and they were stuffed with newspaper clippings, position papers, random scraps of paper. Seeing the befuddled look on Rubiner’s face, Clinton asked, “Did anyone tell you what we’re doing here?”

It turned out that Clinton, in her travels, stuffed notes from her conversations and her reading into suitcases, and every few months she dumped the stray paper on the floor of her Senate office and picked through it with her staff. The card tables were for categorization: scraps of paper related to the environment went here, crumpled clippings related to military families there. These notes, Rubiner recalls, really did lead to legislation. Clinton took seriously the things she was told, the things she read, the things she saw. She made her team follow up.

One way of reading the Democratic primary is that it pitted an unusually pure male leadership style against an unusually pure female leadership style. Sanders is a great talker and a poor relationship builder. Clinton is a great relationship builder and a poor talker. In this case — the first time at the presidential level — the female leadership style won.

http://www.vox.com/a/hillary-clinton-interview/the-gap-listener-leadership-quality

Still need to see how they actually impact preference numbers. Like its ridiculous to say 3/10 democrats wanted her indicted though. Wtf.

I could believe there were that many Bernie holdouts. Still I believe a lot of the negatives of this were baked in already.

pigeon

Banned

I like the apparent existence of 20% of Democrats who think Hillary should've been indicted but aren't less likely to vote for her as a result.

I guess maybe they're like "oh thank God she got away with it!"

A CRIMINAL FOR AMERICA IS APPARENTLY A REAL MOVEMENT

I like the apparent existence of 20% of Democrats who think Hillary should've been indicted but aren't less likely to vote for her as a result.

I guess maybe they're like "oh thank God she got away with it!"

A CRIMINAL FOR AMERICA IS APPARENTLY A REAL MOVEMENT

I thinks its more like god damn it she's going to be the nominee but even a criminal is better than Trump which seems right anecdotally

thefro

Looks like Sabato agrees with me

4WSZnek.jpg

Also if you're worried about Bayh being a moderate, I don't think he'd be any worse than Hill would have been. We'll see how he positions himself but considering how close he is with the Clintons I doubt he's going to be too far away from where they are.

Like, I don't feel those numbers re: the emails re: the "more/less likely" are that terrible? I mean, it's not like ideal, but meh.

Also, email I got from Queen

Adam, you are one of Hillary’s strongest supporters, and this team is how we're going to win this election. That’s why I want you to be literally the FIRST one to know when this team gets a little bigger -- and Hillary announces her running mate.

Sign up for our text message updates here -- and when Hillary makes the big decision, we’ll text you within seconds!

Everyone always gets excited about running mate announcements. (I’m one of those people, too!) But finding out who’s going to be at Hillary’s side as we ramp us this campaign should be a special moment for amazing supporters like you -- you’re the reason we’ve gotten this far, and you’ll help Hillary and her running mate get over the finish line. So when the moment comes, we want to be able to reach you as directly and quickly as possible.

Add your name and number below, Adam, and we’ll let you know with a text message as soon as the decision is final:

Oh, and why not:

Kentucky General Election:

Trump 34% (+6)
Clinton 28%
Undecided 38%
http://www.babbagecofounder.com/2016/07/11/cofounder-pulse-poll-trump-leads-clinton-kentucky/

It's some shitty, weird Google analytics thing wrapped around a poll, wrapped in an enigma. Whatever. But hey, numbers!

Wait, so since Brexit meant that Donald Trump can win... should we also start saying that the UK getting a female PM means the US will also get a female president? They seem just as correlated

pigeon

Banned
Like, I don't feel those numbers re: the emails re: the "more/less likely" are that terrible? I mean, it's not like ideal, but meh.

Also, email I got from Queen

Oh, and why not:

Kentucky General Election:

Trump 34% (+6)
Clinton 28%
Undecided 38%
http://www.babbagecofounder.com/2016/07/11/cofounder-pulse-poll-trump-leads-clinton-kentucky/

It's some shitty, weird Google analytics thing wrapped around a poll, wrapped in an enigma. Whatever. But hey, numbers!

UNDECIDED NEXT PRESIDENT

Effect

Any chance of polling today or tomorrow?

Assuming anything coming out now would include both the FBI deciding not to recommend charges, along with Comey's grilling by Congress, and the Dallas shooting since that happen Thursday into Friday.

Man, the RNC platform battle is going well:

Fun fact: The section about marriage on the GOP platform is in the healthcare, education & crime subcommittee

.@Reince meeting with @tperkins on margins of platform meeting was about Perkins’ call to endorse ‘conversion therapy.’

Now complaints that textbooks "are pretty much focused on minority history" so students get "the wrong version"

GOP platform subcommittee passes amendment calling for legislation restricting bathroom use by biological sex

GOP Platform amendment calls for teaching the Bible as part of "American history"

Draft GOP platform calls for auditing the Fed cc Ron Paul

Draft GOP platform says it considers Iran deal "non-binding" on next president

Draft GOP platform also opposes Obama admin's "distortion of Title IX to micromanage" how colleges handle sexual assault cases

Draft GOP platform "salute the...States which have filed suit against" Obama's efforts to use Title IX to protect transgender students

NEW GOP platform draft rejects marriage decision, urges "reversal, whether through judicial reconsideration or a constitutional amendment."

It seems the proposed Parental Rights Amendment to the Constitution was just endorsed by GOP platform subcommittee

GOING VERY WELL.

Boke1879

Ya know. People held out a little bit of hope that after being stuck with Trump as the presidential candidate the GOP would probably start moving a bit to the center on their views. But NOPE. They double down.

Any chance of polling today or tomorrow?

Assuming anything coming out now would include both the FBI deciding not to recommend charges, along with Comey's grilling by Congress, and the Dallas shooting since that happen Thursday into Friday.

There's a new Nevada poll coming out today from Monmouth. Interesting to see those numbers, because we haven't had any decent polling out of there for a while.

This Parental Rights Amendment thing is just weird. It's like the unschooling/homeschooling movement and libertarians got together and had a baby and this is what happened.

(To be clear, I support the right to homeschool or send your kid to private school....provided you get no government money to do either.)

So let's say the Trumpster Fire is a downright downballot disaster. The best we could hope for would be (realistically):

Feingold
Duckworth
Hassan
(Bennet)
(Masto)
Strickland
McGinty
Ross
Murphy
Bayh
Kander

That would be a 55-45 majority with Bernie and King. That would be pretty incredible.

What's Steve King doing these days now that he failed to stop black people and women from getting on money, maybe something important.

http://iowastartingline.com/2016/07/10/is-that-yep-steve-king-has-a-confederate-flag-on-his-desk/

Iowa Republican Congressman Steve King appeared on a story on Sioux City’s KCAU TV this Friday, talking about the bill he introduced named “Sarah’s Law.” King explains how his law would change ICE deportation policies in honor of Sarah Root, a young woman killed by an undocumented immigrant while at…

NOPE!

But wait....

Steve-King-Confederate-Flag-350x245.png

Stevey King is a traitor to the United States, good to know.

So let's say the Trumpster Fire is a downright downballot disaster. The best we could hope for would be (realistically):

Feingold
Duckworth
Hassan
(Bennet)
(Masto)
Strickland
McGinty
Ross
Murphy
Bayh
Kander

That would be a 55-45 majority with Bernie and King. That would be pretty incredible.
Including Kirkpatrick (AZ) and Judge (IA) we'd be at 57.

I'm guessing that's the absolute furthest Democrats could stretch themselves without going into pure fantasy territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom