• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys just aren't amicable enough. I was surrounded by conservatives yelling very loudly in a bar that Clinton was a bitch who deserved to be behind bars and I was still able to express my opinion without causing a fight. That didn't stop me, a left wing minority millennial, from having a few beers with these folks and getting to know them! There's common ground between everyone, so just learn how to find it and be a nice person.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you know how to make friends at all!

I'm friends with conservatives, I just manage it by avoiding discussing things that will result in bad blood. It's just not worth it.

Bernie holdouts will eventually become real bernieis45 people, supporting Trump and GOP. They were never serious to begin with and no one needs their votes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Obamacare's kinda like Brexit in that I don't believe that conservatives actually WANT a repeal to happen, much like the Tories didn't really want to leave the EU; Obamacare is much more useful as a scare tactic.

People said this about abortion and we have seen how Republicans instead eroded it slowly at the state level where they are strong.

Holmes

You guys just aren't amicable enough. I was surrounded by conservatives yelling very loudly in a bar that Clinton was a bitch who deserved to be behind bars and I was still able to express my opinion without causing a fight. That didn't stop me, a left wing minority millennial, from having a few beers with these folks and getting to know them! There's common ground between everyone, so just learn how to find it and be a nice person.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you know how to make friends at all!
You like me though.

I got black out drunk doing shots with Trump supporters the night he was in Burlington. Granted, I was also still getting over a relationship that fell apart, but I did talk to a few older gentlemen about their political beliefs. While I don't think I changed any of their minds I think we all gained a better understanding of why each of us supported who we did.

mo60

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/Dcorps_WV_BG_063016.pdf

So, here's some battleground state polls. They were released on the 30th, I guess? In the field from June 11-20th. The margin of error in each state is like 5.66% so....grain of salt.

National across all Battleground States:
Queen 49
Trump 41

Arizona
Trump 48
Queen 43

Florida
Queen 52
Trump 39

Michigan
Queen 50
Trump 39

North Carolina
Queen 51
Trump 41

New Hampshire
Queen 51
Trump 47

Nevada
Trump 47
Queen 45

Ohio
Trump 48
Queen 47

Pennsylvania
Queen 49
Trump 39

Wisconsin
Queen 47
Trump 36

If she beats trump by 10%+ in the GE in NC that probably will indicate that it will be a disasterous night for the republicans.Also I don't think trump will be able to grab nevada and ohio in November. She will beat him by a lot in Nevada and by a bit in Ohio or maybe a lot if he's really unlucky.Also, I would not worry about 2020 yet unless she pulls a HW bush she should win another term.

itschris

Washington Post: Kasich lost GOP nomination, but now he’s finding a moment

Gov. John Kasich finds himself in a peculiar situation these days. He’s responsible for helping to safeguard a Republican convention he will not speak at, a nominee he will not support and an arena he probably will not step foot in.

“It is odd, isn’t it?” Kasich says. “It’s going to be strange.”

Even stranger: When Kasich arrives Sunday in Cleveland for the Republican National Convention, he will be the one leading Hillary Clinton in a half-dozen battleground states — not presumptive nominee Donald Trump — according to a recent Ballotpedia poll. “I told somebody I should’ve quit earlier — I might have won!” he says, laughing, during a relaxed interview at the governor’s mansion in Columbus.

But what you’ll never see is Kasich in the same picture frame with Donald Trump. In addition to publicly refusing to support Trump, Weaver says that Kasich rebuffed multiple overtures in May from Team Trump to join the ticket. “He was not interested,” says Weaver. A senior official with the Trump campaign on Sunday denied that any overtures were made to Kasich about being Trump’s running mate. “We made overtures to bring him on board and get him to keep his pledge” to support the nominee, said the official.

Still, Kasich has figured out how to remain relevant, visible and loyal to his party, while separating himself from a man he believes is dangerous for America. He feels no obligation to help Trump win Ohio, a crucial battleground state. “It’s not on me,” says the governor, who enjoys a 58 percent job approval rating. “If he was to lose Ohio and lose the election and people would blame me, that’s just life.”

Next to Trump, Kasich saves his harshest words for Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus, whom he assails for crowning Trump the presumptive nominee in a tweet after the businessman won the Indiana primary on May 3 and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) quit the race.

“What Priebus did was dead wrong, after Indiana, declaring Trump the nominee,” Kasich says, barely hiding his disgust. “I was still in it and I think he dissed me, and I think it’s inappropriate. I haven’t spoken to him. I don’t think there’s any point to it. I don’t even understand what he was doing. It was amateur hour for him.” Kasich left the race the next day. A spokesman for Priebus said Sunday that the party chairman was only stating the obvious. “It’s simple math,” said the spokesman.

No Republican has ever become president without winning Ohio, and Kasich and other state officials don’t think Trump is well-positioned to win here with his current message. In addition, Trump has been slow to build a ground operation. Although Ohio registered 1 million new Republican voters before the primary, exit polls showed many of those registered in order to vote for Kasich — not Trump.

Crisco

Banned
Man, the war in Libya was highly praised for like a year.

http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1162/ISEC_a_00088

Robert Pape's 2012 paper reminded me of this since Pape mentions great praise for the intervention.

Uh, because it was worthy of praise, and still is if you look at it from a US perspective. It was cheap, involved a broad coalition of nations, and met all of it's objectives. The fact that Libyans decided to turn Gaddafi's guns on each other once he was out of the picture isn't the fault of the intervention. The problem is it's become so heavily politicized at this point, both by Bernie-stans and the GOP that no one actually remembers the original reasons for and goals of the intervention in the first place. I think the main takeaway from Libya is "damned if you do, damned if you don't", which Obama seems to have taken to heart.

Can't wait for people to argue like, "Oh, well first term Hillary wasn't so bad, but in the second term the gloves will really come off!"
No-Fucks-Given Hillary is totally a Republican!
This doesn't make any sense for the simple fact that Obama won the primary in '08. Do you think all the machinery and "invisible primaries" to you're talking about now didn't exist back then?
Of course Obama is a once in a generation politician, but if this machinery that existed solely to coronate Hillary actually existed, he still shouldn't and wouldn't have won.
It didn't exist. Obama's organization built it. Hillary's campaign was led by someone who didn't understand proportional voting.
Ouch. Poor guy.
Maybe there's someone he can sue. Won't make much money, though.

The Libyan intervention was a success! The Muslim brotherhood and the whatever-they're-called government are going to come together any month now, since the MB stepped down and a new UN government is in power.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like it's going to be Pence:

Not Newt :( And no Newt probably means no Warren :( Who the fuck is going to get excited about a Pence/Kaine debate.

Remember, Trump thinks with his gut, and guts can change on any given day.

I don't believe any Trump VP talk until it becomes official.

itschris

iLLna7I.png

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/752294707397480448

I agree, Hillary screwed up big time when she green-lit that movie.

People said this about abortion and we have seen how Republicans instead eroded it slowly at the state level where they are strong.

I don't think abortion and Obamacare are equivalent in the eyes of the modern GOP. Their viewpoint on the former is driven by a conservative religious viewpoint, unlike the latter.

pigeon

Banned
Who are these people in China who think Trump would do a good job.

CmH7lnvWkAAg92C.jpg

I mean, I guess I understand some people in India being radical anti-Muslim dudes who like Trump because of that... But why is China's number so high?

China is a pretty nationalist authoritarian country, so it is not too surprising to me that they would like an authoritarian nationalist.

21% in Italy is more surprising to me.

China is a pretty nationalist authoritarian country, so it is not too surprising to me that they would like an authoritarian nationalist.

Italy voted for Proto-Trump.

I mean, I don't know if I see the appeal of an authoritarian nationalist if I was a member of a country being harshly criticized by said nationalist.

I don't think Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia really had mutual admirers as an obvious, if cliched, example? "CHYNA" is one of Trump's rallying cries.

Also, not sure I would be a fan of Japan and South Korea having nuclear weapons if I was an authoritarian Chinese nationalist.

Magni

Re: China approval numbers:

Maybe they like that Trump calls them out all time? I'm more surprised by the 9% here in Japan though.

Benito, uhm, I mean, Silvio.

---

edit: re UBI: if you read the comments some of the economists left, it paints a much more nuanced picture than "economists agree UBI is a bad idea". Most of them are critiquing the proposed plan, not UBI in general.

Italy and Greece are usually, uh, "terrible" in these polls. They are well outside the rest of Europe.

Magni

Economists really like the Cadillac Tax which every candidate that ran for president opposes:

http://www.igmchicago.org/igm-economic-experts-panel/poll-results?SurveyID=SV_7QBv5AWSEBmVk0J

Need some flip-flopping here, Hillary.

Maybe 9% of Japanese citizens want nuclear weapons?

Maybe. My Japanese family (through my wife), friends, and acquaintances are all very anti-nuclear though, for good reason. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are still traumatic events here, even for the young generation.

I used to not bat an eye at "nuke it from orbit" posts before moving here. I certainly do now.

Re: China approval numbers:

Maybe they like that Trump calls them out all time? I'm more surprised by the 9% here in Japan though.

Benito, uhm, I mean, Silvio.

---

edit: re UBI: if you read the comments some of the economists left, it paints a much more nuanced picture than "economists agree UBI is a bad idea". Most of them are critiquing the proposed plan, not UBI in general.

Right, the responses are pretty nuanced, they're just unanimously negative overall towards the idea of replacing the welfare state with UBI which has been a libertarian idea and dream for a while.

pigeon

Banned
Right, the responses are pretty nuanced, they're just unanimously negative overall towards the idea of replacing the welfare state with UBI which has been a libertarian idea and dream for a while.

That's not a particularly good reading of what the economists actually say in the comments. Generally they say a) this would be disruptive in its current form and b) this isn't effectively targeted as welfare programs attempt to be. They are definitely not negative overall towards UBI.

olympia

Dems are gonna get wrecked in 2018. And then Clinton will lose in a moderately close election in 2020. Obamacare will finally be repealed.

Unless the 2020 nom is Cruz.

ACA won't be repealed. in 2020 there will be a new census and redistricting lines will be redrawn, and this is the democrats chance to take advantage if they adapt the 2010 gop moneyball strategy of targeting state leglisature elections

the gop is facing a demographic tidal wave that is only becoming more of a bear due to trump, and the democrats will take advantage if they aren't fucking asleep at the wheel again

the disposal of trump at the rnc is honestly the best move that the party could make to counteract the goldwater effect he's having on groups of people that aren't white. it's apparent that he can't be groomed into a suitable candidate because of his enormous ego and tendency to do whatever the fuck he wants

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Trump is Berlusconi, without...
- The harem
- A media empire
- Actual likeability
- A sports team
- Major Underworld connections
- Actual, confirmed billions
- Weird financial schemes which seem to exist for the public's amusement (Berlusconi's company, Fininvest, is itself a holding of Mondadori, Mediaset, AC Milan and Mediolanum Bank: In turn, Fininvest is divided in 38 shares, owned by 38 different companies, all named "Holding Italiana [number]", in turn owned by berlusconi's family)

He definitely does share a definite ability in not knowing when to shut up, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom