• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

Even if the race looks locked up by the fall, I would rather Democrats spend a little more time campaigning in OH and PA to shore up support for the Democrats running for Senate there instead of going to campaign in states like GA and IN. But that's just me.

pigeon

Banned
So a fun article today on what the GOP would actually have to do to lose Trump at the convention.

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-13/republican-guide-to-dumping-trump-at-convention

TL;DR:

* First somebody has to offer an amendment to the convention rules to unbind the delegates. Fortunately there is a guy, Curly Haugland, who has been arguing for unbinding the delegates since like 2004, and he got elected to the rules committee. So that will certainly happen.
* Then the rules committee has to pass the amendment. It's not really clear how much support Trump has on the rules committee, but it's definitely not more than half, so it would be close but possible if the party wanted to go for it.
* Then the delegates would have to vote to adopt the rules. They aren't bound on this vote, so it depends on what they personally want. All of the delegates were chosen by the rules of their state primary, so some were chosen by Trump's campaign, some by the state party, some by some other process. Anybody's guess how many are actually loyal to Trump.
* Having adopted the rules, they would then have to actually vote on the nominee, but if they got this far it's probably over. However there are a few shenanigans that could be pulled even if they didn't pass the rules (for example, apparently Paul Ryan could let bound delegates abstain all on his own, because the rules aren't explicit and he's the chair).
* Having chosen not to elect Trump, the delegates would still need to identify and elect another candidate.
* Then everybody gets to deal with the fun of ousting the candidate more or less on national television in the middle of his coronation ceremony, and with the rest of the general election.

So pretty unlikely to happen and would be similarly destructive to the GOP, just in a different way.

Let's all look forward to Cleveland!

Copied from Political Wire

Let's see since that Republican make is Trump and Democratic Female is Clinton how public reacts now.
Expect for the fact that its Donald Trump who says bombastic things, lack foreign policy experience, and says very ignorant things; and Hillary Clinton is the one with relevant foreign policy and natural security experience. This is reflected in some of the polls. I expect Donald to gain some numbers, but Hillary could too as well. It really depends on reactions and statements now. If one or the other handles the situation better- whatever that is, than one can get the upper hand.

Trump already is probably going to say something even more inflammatory that will push people off. He already messed up the saying Obama should resign, stuff like that will get some new supporters, but could make him even more divisive. I suspect that this election will get more about foreign policy and national security . I bet that Hillary is perfectly okay with this. Trump as has the advantage of fear and people quickly looking for a problem solver. Hillary has the knowledge and the experience people already know that, so expect her to elaborate the situation more and have careful details. Although, some people don't want that they want intensity.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So a fun article today on what the GOP would actually have to do to lose Trump at the convention.

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-13/republican-guide-to-dumping-trump-at-convention

TL;DR:

* First somebody has to offer an amendment to the convention rules to unbind the delegates. Fortunately there is a guy, Curly Haugland, who has been arguing for unbinding the delegates since like 2004, and he got elected to the rules committee. So that will certainly happen.
* Then the rules committee has to pass the amendment. It's not really clear how much support Trump has on the rules committee, but it's definitely not more than half, so it would be close but possible if the party wanted to go for it.
* Then the delegates would have to vote to adopt the rules. They aren't bound on this vote, so it depends on what they personally want. All of the delegates were chosen by the rules of their state primary, so some were chosen by Trump's campaign, some by the state party, some by some other process. Anybody's guess how many are actually loyal to Trump.
* Having adopted the rules, they would then have to actually vote on the nominee, but if they got this far it's probably over. However there are a few shenanigans that could be pulled even if they didn't pass the rules (for example, apparently Paul Ryan could let bound delegates abstain all on his own, because the rules aren't explicit and he's the chair).
* Having chosen not to elect Trump, the delegates would still need to identify and elect another candidate.
* Then everybody gets to deal with the fun of ousting the candidate more or less on national television in the middle of his coronation ceremony, and with the rest of the general election.

So pretty unlikely to happen and would be similarly destructive to the GOP, just in a different way.

Let's all look forward to Cleveland!

This is going to be a glorious shitshow.

ampere

Maybe we will get the total shitstorm of a GoP convention we thought might happen. I honestly have no idea at this point.

A lot of the people presenting at the Microsoft E3 conference are wearing rainbow pins and buttons. A decade ago that wouldn't have happened.

pigeon

Banned
That's like being pro-Union and pro-Confederates during the civil war. HOW.

I mean, it's pretty clear that the guy was "crazy," just not in the way that people tend to think of.

Basically the interviews with the people close to him -- coworkers, ex-spouse, etc. -- show that everybody knew he was dangerous, unstable and violent. He was a ticking time bomb, basically, just in favor of hurting people. He was only marginally attached to religion, so the fact that he claimed "allegiance to ISIS" at the last minute is probably just an excuse for what he'd decided to do.

But he clearly functioned (badly) in society -- he had a wife, a job, and so forth. So calling him "mentally ill" is a little problematic. What would you diagnose him with? It sounds like he had impulse control problems, sociopathy, lots of anger. But we don't usually diagnose people and lock them up for that, we just call those people assholes.

This is why the mental illness argument ultimately fails. The people committing this violence, on the whole, are not people the mental health regime of America is actually set up to catch and treat. We mostly just let unstable violent people wander around being unstable and violent. Maybe we should be stopping them? But I'm not sure how we could. They're not incapable of taking care of themselves. They're not a danger to others by reason of incomprehension. They know what they're doing. I'm not sure you can lock somebody up for wanting to hurt other people until they actually do it.

Fox318

A lot of the people presenting at the Microsoft E3 conference are wearing rainbow pins and buttons. A decade ago that wouldn't have happened.

people had stuff on at the Bethesda conference.

Hell go back 7 years and every presidential canidate including every democrat couldn't put down gay marriage enough.

Fortunately society moves forward

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, it's pretty clear that the guy was "crazy," just not in the way that people tend to think of.

Basically the interviews with the people close to him -- coworkers, ex-spouse, etc. -- show that everybody knew he was dangerous, unstable and violent. He was a ticking time bomb, basically, just in favor of hurting people. He was only marginally attached to religion, so the fact that he claimed "allegiance to ISIS" at the last minute is probably just an excuse for what he'd decided to do.

But he clearly functioned (badly) in society -- he had a wife, a job, and so forth. So calling him "mentally ill" is a little problematic. What would you diagnose him with? It sounds like he had impulse control problems, sociopathy, lots of anger. But we don't usually diagnose people and lock them up for that, we just call those people assholes.

This is why the mental illness argument ultimately fails. The people committing this violence, on the whole, are not people the mental health regime of America is actually set up to catch and treat. We mostly just let unstable violent people wander around being unstable and violent. Maybe we should be stopping them? But I'm not sure how we could. They're not incapable of taking care of themselves. They're not a danger to others by reason of incomprehension. They know what they're doing. I'm not sure you can lock somebody up for wanting to hurt other people until they actually do it.

We could at least limit their ability to hurt others by denying them access to guns, but apparently that's a few steps too far.

pigeon

Banned
We could at least limit their ability to hurt others by denying them access to guns, but apparently that's a few steps too far.

I am hopeful we can at least get the assault weapons ban back during Clinton's presidency, and maybe the watchlist thing. I mean the whole watchlist idea is problematic but if we're going to be making a list of suspected terrorists anyway then hey, we may as well use the list for something.

I would like to imagine that the watchlist thing can someday lead into a more general prevention of people with impulse control issues or histories of violence from purchasing guns.

Another thing I've been thinking about...I wouldn't be stunned at all if republicans refuse to confirm Clinton's first SC nominee regardless of whether democrats take the senate or not. The 9th Circuit Court's recent ruling about guns in public and Obama/Hillary's rhetoric on gun control ensures this is going to be a massive battle. A liberal 5-4 tip on the SC could really do damage to NRA priorities, and I expect them to really ramp up the insanity.

Also reminds us that 2018 midterms will be ugly for democrats.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Another thing I've been thinking about...I wouldn't be stunned at all if republicans refuse to confirm Clinton's first SC nominee regardless of whether democrats take the senate or not. The 9th Circuit Court's recent ruling about guns in public and Obama/Hillary's rhetoric on gun control ensures this is going to be a massive battle. A liberal 5-4 tip on the SC could really do damage to NRA priorities, and I expect them to really ramp up the insanity.

It's why Obama made the pick he did, Garland is on the left's side on this issue.

ctothej

After my mother got yelled at by people after 9/11 telling her to leave this country, I take this issue very personally.

Two sitting Presidents didn't use the term. They both got re-elected. She doesn't get a break from me here.

Man, I'm sorry. Maybe because I'm gay, this Orlando shooting has shaken me worse than any other mass shooting. But I feel a lot worse for the Muslim Americans fasting for Ramadan and going about their day who have to deal with this horrible, politicized backlash based on the actions of one sociopathic gun nut. It's really fucked up when people allow terrorists to dictate more prejudiced, divisive rhetoric from our politicians.

You can't lock him up, but it's a stretch to say he wasn't mentally ill. The key is finding a legal way to identify such people and get them the help they need. That, and a legal way to keep them from getting guns.

That's probably what the watch list needs to be converted into... as you pointed out.

ampere

Like Dubs is saying I think we just need to more heavily screen and restrict firearm purchasing. AR-15s have no place as civilian possessions anyway

Man, I'm sorry. Maybe because I'm gay, this Orlando shooting has shaken me worse than any other mass shooting. But I feel a lot worse for the Muslim Americans fasting for Ramadan and going about their day who have to deal with this horrible, politicized backlash based on the actions of one sociopathic gun nut. It's really fucked up when people allow terrorists to dictate more prejudiced, divisive rhetoric from our politicians.

Thanks. My family isn't Muslim, (we're Hindu) but in times like this, no one is going to notice the difference.

I feel sorry that the lgbt community needs to still deal with crimes like this. I feel sorry that a large part of the country thinks xenophobia is an appropriate response.

ampere

imo AR-15s, Mini-14s, basically any semi-auto rifle doesn't have much of a reason to be legal for civilians

The thought of someone being able to walk into a store and buy an AR-15 (apparently you just have to pass a federal background check in Florida) with ease is absolutely terrifying. Not to mention the fact that they can be easily modified to support automatic firing modes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom