• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copied from Political Wire

Let's see since that Republican make is Trump and Democratic Female is Clinton how public reacts now.

This is I think the one time the effect could be reversed. Setting aside the specifics of the event (anti-LGBT hatecrime), Hillary is just viewed as hugely more experienced and stable than Donald. Plus, her hawkishness (real or perceived) which hurt her throughout the primary could help her here.

ShOcKwAvE

He just got a new talking point:

On CNN this morning, the interviewer asked her if she'd use the term and she didn't really say yes, just that it doesn't matter what term is used. I think she mentioned she'd be "open to it" but that's obviously not what Trump is claiming.

I'm sure you can find a transcript somewhere but I'm not sure what website.

mackaveli

Obama and Clinton have had much more serious foreign policy disagreements than some stupid words and remained close.

I know. I'm just worried that Clinton might want to distance herself going forward depending on how the public views this attack and the rhetoric that trump is spewing compared to Obama's approach.

I'm sure this won't happen but a small part of me worries like (0.01%) the more people would favour trumps toxic speech etc. And will worry Clinton if the polls change in his favour. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Every day he is more and more like a child.

What time is he speaking?

2:30PM with teleprompter.

On CNN this morning, the interviewer asked her if she'd use the term and she didn't really say yes, just that it doesn't matter what term is used. I think she mentioned she'd be "open to it" but that's obviously not what Trump is claiming.

I'm sure you can find a transcript somewhere but I'm not sure what website.

She said radical islam and radical jihadism on NBC, but said that actions are more important than words and you can call it whatever you want.

studyguy

I don't understand republican pundit's obsession with the term radical islam. The mere mention of it doesn't somehow change the game. No head of state has really tried to say it, while Obama avoided it, so did Bush.

What a terrible weekend. RIP to the victims. In general I agree with a lot of posts made over the last day or two.

1. Trump is truly vile, but is a clear reflection of a lot of Americans. A lot of people are scared and outraged right now...and much of it is not aimed at guns. It's aimed at Islam, immigration, etc.

2. Trump's response to the attack has been stunningly bad, to the point where he is botching a "winning hand." His erratic and narcissistic response further points out how unelectable he is, and that he's going to continue making big mistakes between now and November (assuming he gets that far).

3. Warren won't be the VP. Selecting a VP with zero foreign policy experience is not a good idea this year. And I continue to think this is an even worse year to try a two woman ticket.

Holmes

Obama and Clinton event on Wednesday cancelled. And with Clinton now using the words about terrorism that Obama hasn't used. I hope there is no rift between the two going forward. I'm sure there not.
No. Remember that Clinton was an adviser to Obama on issues like these during her time as Secretary of State. The event in Wisconsin was postponed out of respect for the tragedy yesterday and probably because Obama has more pressing issues back in DC to handle with respect to this attack.

I don't understand republican pundit's obsession with the term radical islam. The mere mention of it doesn't somehow change the game. No head of state has really tried to say it, while Obama avoided it, so did Bush.

Basic ass dogwhistle. Stirs up their base, gives 'em an easy talking point.

Fox318

I honestly wonder if Trump gets so bad before November that we see the Bush family actively speak out against him. Right now I put the odds of that at 50/50.

Frankly after Jeb the Bushes no longer have any political power aside from acting as a linked in for fundraising.

The failure of the Bush 2 in the white house on a national level will probably hurt them til 2024.

Bowdz

What a terrible weekend. RIP to the victims. In general I agree with a lot of posts made over the last day or two.

1. Trump is truly vile, but is a clear reflection of a lot of Americans. A lot of people are scared and outraged right now...and much of it is not aimed at guns. It's aimed at Islam, immigration, etc.

2. Trump's response to the attack has been stunningly bad, to the point where he is botching a "winning hand." His erratic and narcissistic response further points out how unelectable he is, and that he's going to continue making big mistakes between now and November (assuming he gets that far).

3. Warren won't be the VP. Selecting a VP with zero foreign policy experience is not a good idea this year. And I continue to think this is an even worse year to try a two woman ticket.

I agreed wholeheartedly.

RIP to all of the victims over the weekend. What a truly senseless atrocity.

Bush & Obama didn't use that term for very good reasons. It has uncomfortable connotations that also reflect poorly with our Arab partners. Not to mention it inflames passions within the electorate that are best suppressed.

Using that term is not worth the potential headaches it causes. If she uses it, I will still vote for her, but I will not donate to her campaign. The Supreme Court is important, but I will not donate money to someone willing to engage in that type of stupid inflammatory language.

Bush & Obama didn't use that term for very good reasons. It has uncomfortable connotations that also reflect poorly with our Arab partners. Not to mention it inflames passions within the electorate that are best suppressed.

Using that term is not worth the potential headaches it causes. If she uses it, I will still vote for her, but I will not donate to her campaign. The Supreme Court is important, but I will not donate money to someone willing to engage in that type of stupid inflammatory language.

It's a bad position to be in when running for President though.

It's a bad position to be in when running for President though.

After my mother got yelled at by people after 9/11 telling her to leave this country, I take this issue very personally.

Two sitting Presidents didn't use the term. They both got re-elected. She doesn't get a break from me here.

Also not what she said.

Yeah, she half-heartedly said "radical Islamism". She's actually splitting a very fine but distinct hair here (one might call it "Clintonian"), as "Islamism" is neither "Islamic" nor "Islam" but a separate term that can mean whatever she wants it to mean. Much like if you wanted to call a radicalized interpretation of Christianity that promoted terrorism "Christianism".

Yeah, she half-heartedly said "radical Islamism". She's actually splitting a very fine but distinct hair here (one might call it "Clintonian"), as "Islamism" is neither "Islamic" nor "Islam" but a separate term that can mean whatever she wants it to mean. Much like if you wanted to call a radicalized interpretation of Christianity that promoted terrorism "Christianism".

Yup, very Clintonian, but also the entire semantic obsession with this phrase on the right is so distracting from the actual issue (as Hillary said), that it ultimately was probably the right thing to say.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
At least it seems like the LA incident had nothing to do with a potential hate crime or terrorism.

Also, Trump managing to eff up the Orlando shooting makes me more confident in a Clinton victory.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yup, very Clintonian, but also the entire semantic obsession with this phrase on the right is so distracting from the actual issue (as Hillary said), that it ultimately was probably the right thing to say.

Agreed. It's just another one of those things the right does to avoid talking about guns. The faster they get exposed on it the better.

At least it seems like the LA incident had nothing to do with a potential hate crime or terrorism.

Also, Trump managing to eff up the Orlando shooting makes me more confident in a Clinton victory.

So what the heck was the LA thing about? I haven't really been following it.

Two new PPP polls:

Feingold: 51
Johnson: 41

McCain: 43
Kirkpatrick: 41

McCain screwed up the math on siding with Trump from the look of it.

ampere

I wonder if McCain has any way to boost his polling. Trump seemed pretty popular in Arizona so I'm not sure he can go the "fuck Trump" route

He should out of principle though. He's old, just stick to your principles man.

Slayven

Seems like Trump is mudding the waters, the GOP don't know if it is coming or going. THe DNC could lay down some good messaging.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Agreed. It's just another one of those things the right does to avoid talking about guns. The faster they get exposed on it the better.

So what the heck was the LA thing about? I haven't really been following it.

McCain screwed up the math on siding with Trump from the look of it.

http://gawker.com/police-identify-l-a-pride-weapons-suspect-as-james-wes-1781852370

Santa Monica Police have now confirmed that Howell never expressed intent to “harm” the parade. According to reports from the L.A. Times and the N.Y. Daily News, friends of the suspect say Howell is bisexual with a male partner and harbored no ill will towards gay and lesbians.

It sounded like he wanted to go celebrate at the pride parade, meet up with a friend, and then go out to a gun range and go shooting homemade explosive targets.

pigeon

Banned
So he was just an idiot. Thank god.

You actually have to feel bad for the guy. Orlando probably contributed to him getting a pretty lengthy detention since they wanted to be sure it wasn't a coordinated attack of some sort.

Edit: however, I guess he's a convicted criminal on probation that requires him not to own weapons so you don't have to feel that bad. But at least when he said he wanted to go to Pride to look for a friend he was being serious!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You actually have to feel bad for the guy. Orlando probably contributed to him getting a pretty lengthy detention since they wanted to be sure it wasn't a coordinated attack of some sort.

Edit: however, I guess he's a convicted criminal on probation that requires him not to own weapons so you don't have to feel that bad. But at least when he said he wanted to go to Pride to look for a friend he was being serious!

I'm happy he wasn't looking to hurt anyone, but I'm not all that sad he's getting in trouble.

SUSA has Hillary's favorables 44/56. Not great, but also up a tick from where they've been. Reuters also had had her favorability up a bit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
SUSA has Hillary's favorables 44/56. Not great, but also up a tick from where they've been. Reuters also had had her favorability up a bit.

I think at most they'll hit dead even, but probably not. Watch her numbers go positive the day after she wins the nomination though.

I think at most they'll hit dead even, but probably not. Watch her numbers go positive the day after she wins the nomination though.
Just like Bill Clinton. The voters bitch and moan about the Clintons but as soon as they get in office they're like the bestest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom