• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

Even if Trump got a beating, the R's are still going to control a majority of the governorships and legislatures. Reversing that in 2018 to regain Congress is going to be near impossible since those legislatures are drawn based on heavily gerrymandered 2010 maps. You'd be wise to just go for the governorships and downballot statewide offices like SoS, AG etc. Most of your chances will fall into swing or lean D states. You also got U.S Senate seats defense in those same 10 swing or lean D states.

Are the democrats going to compete in red states like Kansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina etc or write them off. The former 2 have see record state destruction from the likes of Brownback and Fallin.

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 7m7 minutes ago Manhattan, NY

ex-Bush natl sec aide @dansenor, after Trump suggested Obama complicity: "should be serious concern" over giving Trump classified briefings

Yeah no kidding.

From what I understand Obama can control how much the candidates get to see. I imagine Clinton gets all or most of it and Trump gets as little as humanly possible while still looking like he gets a briefing.

I believe he does have control, but the briefings are the same.

Considering Clinton's experience, she really doesn't need the briefing, so hopefully the briefing is as vague as possible.

NeoXChaos

Taniel ‏@Taniel 10h10 hours ago
Chris Christie, now working as Trump's "manservant," is fetching Trump's McDonald's orders. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/06/20/inside-the-gop-trump-dilemma …

CkzosGrUUAA2AS5.jpg

I really hope the news cycle picks up this disgusting insinuation by Trump. I seriously don't even want to think about the kind of shit Trump will get the US into if he wins the presidency. We shouldn't let grief be a shield for him to spout these hateful comments.

Maledict

I highly doubt it. Onot substantially anyway and not permanently. he's already managed to shit on it today, and it's still early.

Even Politico is running a headline story about how Trymp manages to fuck up what should be a powerful boost to his campaign in theory. The guy is a moronic, clueless racist.

I believe he does have control, but the briefings are the same.

Considering Clinton's experience, she really doesn't need the briefing, so hopefully the briefing is as vague as possible.

That's actually a good point that it's not really going to hamstring Clinton if the briefings are useless.

Fox318

Frankly its a gamble for Christie. The only way for him to maintain anytype of political future is hooking up with Trump, especially after going after Rubio and running against Jeb. Don't forget that Christie had Bush's political backing to get the job in NJ.

Never mind the fact that he isn't well liked even in conservative areas of the state.

Brinbe

I really hope the news cycle picks up this disgusting insinuation by Trump. I seriously don't even want to think about the kind of shit Trump will get the US into if he wins the presidency. We shouldn't let grief be a shield for him to spout these hateful comments.

It's definitely being picked up now.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ent-obama-was-involved-with-orlando-shooting/

Donald Trump seemed to repeatedly accuse President Obama on Monday of identifying with radicalized Muslims who have carried out terrorist attacks in the United States and being complicit in the mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando over the weekend, the worst the country has ever seen.

"Look, we're led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he's got something else in mind," Trump said in a lengthy interview on Fox News early Monday morning. "And the something else in mind -- you know, people can't believe it. People cannot, they cannot believe that President Obama is acting the way he acts and can't even mention the words 'radical Islamic terrorism.' There's something going on. It's inconceivable. There's something going on."

In that same interview, Trump was asked to explain why he called for Obama to resign in light of the shooting and he answered, in part: "He doesn't get it or he gets it better than anybody understands -- it's one or the other and either one is unacceptable."

For months, Trump has slyly suggested that the president is not Christian and has questioned his compassion toward Muslims. Years ago, Trump was a major force in calls for the president to release his birth certificate and prove that he was born in the United States. On the campaign trail, Trump has repeatedly stated as fact conspiracy theories about the president, his rivals and Muslims, often refusing to back down from his assertions even when they are proven to be false.

During an appearance on the "Today" show later Monday morning, Savannah Guthrie pushed Trump to explain what he meant in the earlier interview.

"Well there are a lot of people that think maybe he doesn't want to get it," Trump said. "A lot of people think maybe he doesn't want to know about it. I happen to think that he just doesn't know what he's doing, but there are many people that think maybe he doesn't want to get it. He doesn't want to see what's really happening. And that could be."

This will not end well for Donald...

NeoXChaos

so glad hillary is our nominee. I could not see Bernie debating Trump in a foreign policy debate in October.

In other news like the earlier Utah poll. It may not be an outlier and has consequences in other states.

Jonathan Martin ‏@jmartNYT 34m34 minutes ago
Jonathan Martin Retweeted NYT Opinion
Mormons staying home, or skipping topline = big impact in CO, AZ, NV, even UT it credible 3d party emerges

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/o...mon-problem.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur

gcubed

1) Trump is already deeply engrained with racist voters, this doesn't increase what he has.

2) Trump fucked up his news cycle in under 2 hours with that tweet congratulating himself

Diabolos is back in FULL force I see

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I honestly wonder if Trump gets so bad before November that we see the Bush family actively speak out against him. Right now I put the odds of that at 50/50.

Brinbe

I admit, I was worried that a big gamechanger, like a terror attack, would potentially be one of the one things that could hand Trump the Presidency.

But I think we can rest easy now... Trump's vile, moronic and entirely unpresidential response to this event has pretty much disqualified him from the job. There will always be that 30-40 percent that will side with him regardless, but most reasonable people (including Republicans/right-leaning independents) won't find any of this the least bit acceptable.

HylianTom

Banned
I honestly wonder if Trump gets so bad before November that we see the Bush family actively speak out against him. Right now I put the odds of that at 50/50.

I'll predict this:
by the time we get to October, there will be a not-unimpressive list of Republican elected officials and conservative figures who have publicly denounced him and announced their intent to support Hillary. Her campaign will release a damning commercial that will cut him to the quick.

Copied from Political Wire

This piece is only available to Political Wire members.

A presidential campaign not known for its serious moments just got one in the form of a massacre in Florida over the weekend that killed 50 people.

For Donald Trump and Republicans, the conversation is about the dangers of “radical Islam.” For Hillary Clinton and Democrats, the discussion is about preventing an epidemic of gun violence.

Either way, if an already angry electorate becomes a fearful one, it could quickly change the dynamics of the campaign.

In their book Democracy at Risk: How Terrorist Threats Affect the Public, political scientists Jennifer Merolla and Elizabeth Zechmeister conducted research on how voters react to terror attacks.

They summarized their findings in a Washington Post piece after the Paris terror attacks and explained that public attitudes shift in three politically relevant ways:

“When terrorist threat is pronounced, individuals become less trusting of others, even their own neighbors. They express less favorable attitudes toward immigrants. In particular, they become less supportive of the rights of Arab and Muslim Americans.”
“The public’s tendency to rally around a sitting executive when confronted with an external threat is well documented. But we find the public does more than that … On average, leaders who are Republican, male, and have relevant national security experience tend to be viewed as more competent… Leaders who are both female and Democratic may therefore experience the most negative political consequences of terrorist attacks.”
There is more support for hawkish policies “among partisans of all stripes.”
At first glance, the academic research suggests the Orlando attack will put the Clinton campaign on the defensive. In fact, a wave of terrorist attacks — shootings similar to what happened in Orlando last weekend and San Bernadino last year — is probably a “doomsday scenario” for the Clinton campaign. It could undermine many of her advantages over Trump.

Scarier still is that ISIS may be incentivized to encourage a Trump presidency. With his anti-Muslim rhetoric, he’s the candidate who could provide the “war of the civilizations” that ISIS is seeking.

That said, Trump is still very much a wild card. His willingness to play to voter fear may win him some points in the polls, but this kind of tragedy also highlights his lack of experience and temperament.

How both candidates respond this week will be very important for the remaining months of the campaign.

Let's see since that Republican make is Trump and Democratic Female is Clinton how public reacts now.

studyguy

This week is gonna be awful.
First news story I read this morning was basically a conspiracy theory and Trump trying to confirm it. Jeez.

He just got a new talking point:

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
I have been hitting Obama and Crooked Hillary hard on not using the term Radical Islamic Terror. Hillary just broke-said she would now use!

Trump has the perfect time to subtly use this tragedy in his favor and he goes back to the birther playbook. Everytime I get even slightly worried he trips up on himself.

mackaveli

Obama and Clinton event on Wednesday cancelled. And with Clinton now using the words about terrorism that Obama hasn't used. I hope there is no rift between the two going forward. I'm sure there not.

Obama and Clinton event on Wednesday cancelled. And with Clinton now using the words about terrorism that Obama hasn't used. I hope there is no rift between the two going forward. I'm sure there not.

Obama and Clinton have had much more serious foreign policy disagreements than some stupid words and remained close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom