• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

thcsquad

HIckenlooper is the interesting one to me. If he's been vetted, it's been pretty damn far under the radar. He's a safe, white male. Not going to riffle too many feathers. He doesn't have Kaine's issues. (The money/gift thing.) I don't think he's uber exciting, but I at least like the idea of him more than Kaine.

He came around on weed in CO, as I recall, so he would prevent the crucial Sanders -> Johnson hemorrhaging!

Someone's gotta do it!

The real reason is that I am an American. And Americans support revolution against tyranny:

Not always.

Jefferson Davis said:
"A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents. It is this necessity which has divided the human race into separate nations, and finally has defeated the grandest efforts which conquerors have made to give unlimited extent to their domain."

Amir0x

Banned
If the coup makes Turkey more secular and less pure Islamic, then I'm for it. Democracy is an ideal to strive for, it's not the answer to every problem. Sometimes you must do things undemocratically to preserve a greater good.

The less Islamic influence on countries, the better. I think the same about the influence of any religion on countries governments though.

Sibylus

Banned
If both Erdogan and the coup could fail, that'd probably be my preferred outcome out of this shitpile. Let a moderate faction emerge and strengthen separation of powers and make the chances of future Erdogans and coups more remote, if such is even possible.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If the coup makes Turkey more secular and less pure Islamic, then I'm for it. Democracy is an ideal to strive for, it's not the answer to every problem. Sometimes you must do things undemocratically to preserve a greater good.

The less Islamic influence on countries, the better. I think the same about the influence of any religion on countries governments though.

I'm not really a big fan of coups, but Erdogan was an utter bastard who was insane with power. If this results in a better situation for the people of Turkey then that's great. It could also get worse for all we know. At this point I'm just hoping whatever happens is stable enough that it doesn't add too much to the clusterfuck currently going on in the region.

If both Erdogan and the coup could fail, that'd probably be my preferred outcome out of this shitpile. Let a moderate faction emerge and strengthen separation of powers and make the chances of future Erdogans and coups more remote, if such is even possible.

That'd be nice. I have a feeling this is going to be a shitshow though.

That's a huge if though. It's hard to predict how this chaos settles out.

Not always.
I'm... Not going to agree with the president of the confederacy.
This statement is ignorant. You really want a protracted civil war like in Syria? Do you know how many ISIS and Kurdish attacks there have been the past few years? The coup IS the moderate faction representing the secularist elite that live in the cities.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Pretty much the stance he has to take while this whole thing shakes out, no?

Pretty much. If he says "Fuck Erdogan" and he keeps power then he's fucked up diplomatic efforts in the country for decades. Gotta play the game when it comes to foreign relations. Plan on nothing changing, but give yourself enough wiggle room to maneuver if something does change.

Yeah I don't like the fuck yeah GO Erdogan! mentality either as if he some decent person.

Pretty much. If he says "Fuck Erdogan" and he keeps power then he's fucked up diplomatic efforts in the country for decades. Gotta play the game when it comes to foreign relations. Plan on nothing changing, but give yourself enough wiggle room to maneuver if something does change.

Yeah, same applies to the people in power in Turkey.

And what's said publicly doesn't always match what is done privately. This could be a coup with support from the west and we wouldn't know.

Hey, we found something we agree on!

I am not saying that military intervention in Democracy is never necessary, just that it is an incredibly dangerous and serious undertaking. The Jefferson in your quote and the Davis in mine both felt that they were justified in their rebellion.

This Coup in Turkey is incredibly perilous, even if the Military leaders have the best intentions. If they do not... it could destroy the region. Either way, I don't see how you can cheer it on when there is so much uncertain. Real people are really dying in Turkey tonight.

Of course. But so far, it does seem the intent is to make a more secular Turkey. So far. Tentatively. We will have to wait and see for the end result.

My fear is that someone will use Turkey's history of military coups (which have generally been about resetting democracy) as a smokescreen for a naked power grab.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And what's said publicly doesn't always match what is done privately. This could be a coup with support from the west and we wouldn't know.

Exactly. We could have been behind the whole thing and he still needed to say what he said. Foreign relations seems to be a lot like Game of Thrones's Machiavellian shit, act all nice on the surface and make all your moves through the backroom deals and backchannels.

The excuse making for the subversion of elected representation is bad.

Your cheering for some higher Lord to decide what the proper way to live is. It's not going to lead to good things and it's not in defense of democratic values. It for certain people to preserve their power.

I hate erdogan but this isn't good and shouldn't be justified

Amir0x

Banned
The excuse making for the subversion of elected representation is bad.

Your cheering for some higher Lord to decide what the proper way to govern is. It's jot going to lead to good things and it's jot in defense of democratic values

Except plenty of coups have led to good things throughout history, just as plenty have not. Please stop altering history to support your narratives thanks.

Hey, we found something we agree on!

I am not saying that military intervention in Democracy is never necessary, just that it is an incredibly dangerous and serious undertaking. The Jefferson in your quote and the Davis in mine both felt that they were justified in their rebellion.

This Coup in Turkey is incredibly perilous, even if the Military leaders have the best intentions. If they do not... it could destroy the region. Either way, I don't see how you can cheer it on when there is so much uncertain. Real people are really dying in Turkey tonight.
I've been worried about real people suffering in an Islamist, fascist government like Erdogan's for a long time. I've been worried about Kurds and protestors and democracy (in a country so unusually democratic for the middle east) and rights. And I've been worried about the real people who have already died.

The military knows what it's doing. It'll be fine. I am worried about insurgencies, though. This happened in Pakistan so it might get worse in Turkey.

Sibylus

Banned

This statement is ignorant. You really want a protracted civil war like in Syria? Do you know how many ISIS and Kurdish attacks there have been the past few years? The coup IS the moderate faction representing the secularist elite that live in the cities.

Words in mouth. What I offered was my chosen outcome (a pipe dream) where the political moderates gain power after Erdogan and the military fall into disrepute after a quick, failed coup that gutters out too soon for a civil war to break out.

What we're liable to get is Erdogan or the coup achieving a toehold on power and riding a wave of popular discontent to dismantle democracy further. Erdogan, to protect himself from the military and get what he wants politically. The military, to protect itself/the country from an Erdogan styled figure. I don't see either as a positive outcome.

And you're speaking authoritatively of the coup's composition, when even now the military and politically secular factions are not acting in unison. This isn't clean like you think it is. This is a quagmire with many competing interests.

Saddam and Reza Shah made their countries more secular too. There's simply no doubt in anyone's mind that as soon as these "secular" dictators come in, they start banning political parties and repress society.

Except plenty of coups have led to good things throughout history, just as plenty have not. Please stop altering history to support your narratives thanks.
Coups are bad.

Your basically saying fuck democracy if it doesn't get what I want. It's paternalistic, wrong and leads to worse outcomes in the future.

What do we stand for government by the people or ensuring our ideology prevails.

Amir0x

Banned
Saddam and Reza Shah made their countries more secular too. There's simply no doubt in anyone's mind that as soon as these "secular" dictators come in, they start banning political parties and repress society.

There's no doubt in your mind, there's plenty of doubt in others. So we'll see.

NYCmetsfan said:
Coups are bad.

Your basically saying fuck democracy if it doesn't get what I want. It's paternalistic, wrong and leads to worse outcomes in the future.

Again, history does not support your blanket "coups are bad." Argue with history. I don't give a fuck about your other black-and-white narrative. Sometimes coups are bad, sometimes they are good.

Military coup that ended well: Egypt.

Twitter: Senior US military official tells @KimDozier that the Pentagon believes the #Turkey coup will be quickly suppressed.

Welp.

Edrogan is eroding democracy, molding the courts to his liking, he is slowly becoming a dictator.

Imagine if Trump decides to replaced all the justices of the Supreme Court, ignore congress, and act on executive order contently

Apparently the state of things has to finally devolve into some full on "maniacal villain disappearing people on a daily basis and publicly executing people in the streets" kind of level before anything should be done about it.

Man, Erdogan is going to execute so many people in the coming months.

He's going to do it democratically though, that's the important thing.

I've been worried about real people suffering in an Islamist, fascist government like Erdogan's for a long time. I've been worried about Kurds and protestors and democracy (in a country so unusually democratic for the middle east) and rights. And I've been worried about the real people who have already died.

The military knows what it's doing. It'll be fine. I am worried about insurgencies, though. This happened in Pakistan so it might get worse in Turkey.

I don't think we have much evidence that the Military knows what they are doing. The pictures I am seeing on my TV lead me to believe that this Coup is in danger of failing. Especially in Istanbul.

If Erdogan makes it through this, he will become even more of a monster.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This is crazy. Who's going to care about tomorrow's Trump-Pence event now?
I mean, I guess Pence will care since he is probably not 100% sure Trump won't flip over the table on the whole thing still.
Once the event is over and Trump actually introduces him he is pretty safe and can breath a sigh of relief... Maybe

There's no doubt in your mind, there's plenty of doubt in others. So we'll see.

Again, history does not support your blanket "coups are bad." Argue with history. I don't give a fuck about your other black-and-white narrative. Sometimes coups are bad, sometimes they are good.
What are these model coups?

You guys are literally arguing for an unaccountable institution to just decide how government should work. This isn't liberal, this isn't democratic and is wrong.

Obama and Kerry are right here. We should support peaceful change

You guys are literally arguing for an unaccountable institution to just decide how government should work. This isn't liberal, this isn't democratic and is wrong.

Obama and Kerry are right here. We should support peaceful change

If Erdogan got his way, some say he will be an autocrat and give a lot more powers to himself. You can't really force him out in a democratic fashion, I would guess

Amir0x

Banned
What are these model coups?

Here is a link with a list of just some recent coups, some which ended well, some which did not. There are thousands of such cases throughout history, too many to list here, and the results are so varied and nuanced that to try to make the blanket case that "all coups are bad" is laughably ignorant of history. Yeah people will die, yeah it sucks we got to this point. But coups are not always bad, and sometimes in fact the end result is self-evident net positive. Sorry this complicates such a simplistic worldview.

That does not mean this specific coup will end well (or even succeed, frankly).

Emarv

We can't have one normal day this election cycle, can we?

We're gonna need a FX miniseries to document all of this year. American Political Story: The People vs 2016.

Spoilers: the People lose.

Let's just take a moment to bask in the hellish announcement of Pence as Veep.

We had the terrible, terrible tragedy in Nice, "forcing" Trump to push back his announcement. We have confirmed from multiple media sources that he wanted to back out of his pick, but because it was leaked, he's pretty much stuck. He's going to make the announcement on a SATURDAY, of all days! Said announcement is going to get buried under the Turkey story, thus reinforcing how stupid it was for him to just not get on with it today in spite of the attack in Nice.

And to top it all off, his logo is a "T" fornicating with a "P."

I can't....

Amir0x

Banned
No self respecting military dictator comes in and says ok guys, carry on. Parties get banned, people get tortured, thrown in prison without trial.

Except again not always true. It's not even true that every military coup has violence.

People need to stop trying to confirm their deeply held biases and read more history.

Except again not always true. It's not even true that every military coup has violence.

People need to stop trying to confirm their deeply held biases and read more history.

lets talk about what is happening tonight.

are you in support of what the coup actors are doing?

I literally just saw a video of bodies ripped apart. This isn't in defense of human rights, secularism, or whatever. This isn't how you fight erdogan's power grabs

Amir0x

Banned
lets talk about what is happening tonight.

are you in support of what the coup actors are doing?

Oh so we're past the making blanket statements that are factually false part of the discussion.

Again, we need to wait and see the result, but IF the result is a more secular country and less Islamic government whilst still re-establishing the Democratic process in the end then yes I support it. If we have some other result, then I would not support it.

You see it's fun to not think in black and white!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom