• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clefargle

Not that it matters, but 20 more SHILL TARGETS endorsed Hillary today.

ClBiymTUsAE5BxY.jpg

Fixed

Isn't he meeting with people within the democratic party right now to shape the democrats platform?

He wouldn't do that directly.

Again, though, he's the loser. He needs to go away. He had a chance to have his platform the one we run on. He lost. Go away Bernie. Go away mad, happy or whatever. Just go.

Did anyone hear/read the speech by the Republican Lt. Gov of Utah about Orlando?

I believe that we can all agree we have come a long way as a society when it comes to our acceptance and understanding of the LGBTQ community (did I get that right?). However, there has been something about this tragedy that has very much troubled me. I believe that there is a question, two questions actually, that each of us needs to ask ourselves in our heart of hearts. And I am speaking now to the straight community. How did you feel when you heard that 49 people had been gunned down by a self-proclaimed terrorist? That’s the easy question. Here is the hard one: Did that feeling change when you found out the shooting was at a gay bar at 2 a.m. in the morning? If that feeling changed, then we are doing something wrong.

He wouldn't do that directly.

Again, though, he's the loser. He needs to go away. He had a chance to have his platform the one we run on. He lost. Go away Bernie. Go away mad, happy or whatever. Just go.
Oh uh woah ho... don't you know, I don't want to see yuh here no more.

I can hear the guitars as clear as day in my mind.

ampere

Does "talk to my wife" mean put like $10000 on Clinton? lol

It's probably not higher because of the yet unresolved FBI investigation giving people cold feet

IF you go to Bernie's official Senate Twitter....

He has a nice tweet about standing with Sen. Murphy...and then later he has a nice tweet about how it makes no sense for people to be able to buy military style weapons.

Between those two tweets:

Bernie Sanders ‏@SenSanders 7h7 hours ago
Citizens United was the one of most disastrous Supreme Court decisions in history and it must be overturned.

It's like he's Odo, and Citizens United is his bucket...and if he doesn't return to his FRAUD! CORRUPTION! form after so many hours, he'll turn to stone or something.

mo60

Bernie not dropping out is going to lead to issues at the convention with his delegates

Pretty much unless the guy decides to drop out in the next couple of weeks.He's not really camapigning anymore so I don't know why he is not dropping out at this point or planning to anytime soon.

ampere

IF you go to Bernie's official Senate Twitter....

He has a nice tweet about standing with Sen. Murphy...and then later he has a nice tweet about how it makes no sense for people to be able to buy military style weapons.

Between those two tweets

It's like he's Odo, and Citizens United is his bucket...and if he doesn't return to his FRAUD! CORRUPTION! form after so many hours, he'll turn to stone or something.

He does not have a very good media team. It does say a lot about a candidate. Said a lot about Obama in 08 and says a lot about Hillary now

I should throw some money into PredictIt. But I'm not good at gambling or good at making money. Or stuff. Idk.

I kinda want to... but I'm overly careful with my money generally. I mean I still do index funds, but that's basically safe long term unless the US completely collapses in which case my money isn't worth anything anyway

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He does not have a very good media team. It does say a lot about a candidate. Said a lot about Obama in 08 and says a lot about Hillary now

I kinda want to... but I'm overly careful with my money generally. I mean I still do index funds, but that's basically safe long term unless the US completely collapses in which case my money isn't worth anything anyway

All my money is on Hillary to win it all, which is like the safest bet you can make on that site.

I need to start investing. I spent about 8 months living off savings, and I literally just kept it all in my non-interest bearing checking account. I have a 401k, but I haven't been great at regularly adding money to it. I know, I know...it's stupid and bad that I'm not better with money. :(

In my defense, I worked on paying all my debts down to where I could actually live on minimum wage without starving to death. Not that I'd want to, but it's technically possible.

Bernie doesn't matter. That being said I'd expect he has a timeline in which he plans to drop out. Perhaps the shooting caused him to delay it.

The damage is already done in terms of his silence as his fiercest supporters poisoned the well with conspiracies and FUD. Personally I wouldn't give him much of anything in negotiations.

Hillary is doing very well right now while Trump bombs. No one is talking about Bernie, the process has moved on.

In recent days, RNC chairman Reince Priebus has privately grumbled that his advice doesn’t seem welcome with Trump, according to one RNC insider. Other party officials have expressed frustration that Trump’s campaign is trying to take too much control over a pair of fundraising committees with the party while adding little to the effort, according to campaign and party officials familiar with the relationship.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/donald-trump-republican-national-committee-224403

There's not enough Bailey's in the world.

I wish Sen Murphy wasn't from Connecticut.

He'd be a good Veep pick.....he's cute too.
What's wrong with being from Connecticut? They have a Democratic governor so is it just that he doesn't bring anything electorally?

That said, looking into his record today kind of makes me hope he does a 2024 run, he seems like a progressive I could really get behind.

What's wrong with being from Connecticut? They have a Democratic governor so is it just that he doesn't bring anything electorally?

That said, looking into his record today kind of makes me hope he does a 2024 run, he seems like a progressive I could really get behind.

Ya, there's no regional balance, that's all I meant. Nothing at all against Connecticut. :) He's probably too young to be considered now, but he seems like he could be a winner in future for us. I respect the hell out of what he's doing right now.

He doesn't add anything to Hillary's ticket this year since he's from CT, I assume? But yeah, Murphy seems like a future candidate if he wants it.

Diablos

Bernie matters... enough anyway.

If he doesn't concede it likely means:

-Hillary didn't adopt enough of his proposals (more like demands). I am sure even meeting her halfway wasn't good enough. Dude wants a total overhaul of the DNC and party philosophy and he's a stubborn, selfish bastard who acts like his shit never stinks.

-He may have concerns about the e-mail thing and is staying on as an insurance policy of sorts for the DNC in his oh so righteous mind.

But what I really think above all else is:

-He's probably the most selfish loser to ever run for the Presidency, and he's not giving up because his end game is always "I'm not doing x because y didn't happen and it's all your fault, so I am staying in this thing because irrational reasons and I have all these people with me." Seriously, I am legit expecting him to defy the Democratic party on television if things don't go his way, and declare that he is leaving them in the cold while he mounts a last minute independent bid -- a formidable task, no doubt, but the deadline isn't until August or September I think. He could try doing it. Even if he fails, he will fracture the base, taking a lot of his supporters with him.

Now if it doesn't get that bad, what Sanders is doing right now is hurting the party and hurting their chances regardless. The DNC needs to look unified. They need to look like they're beyond Bernie vs. Hillary and not adhering to this neverending "primary" even if it's mostly symbolic in nature. It does not inspire confidence in the base.

edit: He has a fucking RSVP for his speech tomorrow on his website. If it was for a concession I don't think he'd be hyping it like that.

Diablos

And they still won't have the spine to kick him out at the convention. Amazing.

How much do we think Trump's fundraising woes and lack of GOTV cost him, vote share wise? 2%?
I don't know. Hillary has issues clearly that would be much more problematic when going against any other Republican. The party knows this. I wouldn't put it past them to formally tell Trump to get fucked at the convention and go with Dark Horse Kasich or RMoney.

I don't know. Hillary has issues clearly that would be much more problematic when going against any other Republican. The party knows this. I wouldn't put it past them to formally tell Trump to get fucked at the convention and go with Dark Horse Kasich or RMoney.

Why would they give it to losers Kasich or Romney? Why would they stop Trump when his infrastructure, even clumsily, continues to integrate into the RNC apparatus? They even just hired Terry Brastad's son as his Iowa director.

They're not getting rid of Trump. C'mon.

Now if it doesn't get that bad, what Sanders is doing right now is hurting the party and hurting their chances regardless. The DNC needs to look unified. They need to look like they're beyond Bernie vs. Hillary and not adhering to this neverending "primary" even if it's mostly symbolic in nature. It does not inspire confidence in the base.

Right now Democrats' unity problem with regard to Sanders looks like peanuts compared to the fracturing going on within the GOP regarding their nominee. Trump can't seem to get many strong endorsements and even fewer usable surrogates.

Whether Bernie concedes or not, most major Democratic names are lining up behind Clinton with heavy endorsements. Bernie will fade from the media and the public consciousness over the next several weeks.

Under normal circumstances and with a more normal GE opponent, yes, Bernie's lack of concession might have been a bigger issue. But fortunately Trump is their nominee this cycle.

Diablos

Right now Democrats' unity problem with regard to Sanders looks like peanuts compared to the fracturing going on within the GOP regarding their nominee. Trump can't seem to get many strong endorsements and even fewer usable surrogates.

Whether Bernie concedes or not, most major Democratic names are lining up behind Clinton with heavy endorsements. Bernie will fade from the media and the public consciousness over the next several weeks.

Under normal circumstances and with a more normal GE opponent, yes, Bernie's lack of concession might have been a bigger issue. But fortunately Trump is their nominee this cycle.
I understand that but it doesn't erase the simple fact that Bernie staying in through the convention is a bad idea. Especially if he doesn't release his delegates. I don't anticipate that he will finally give up as gracefully as Hillary ended up doing. I think to Bernie, finally "giving up" to him could mean breaking up with the Democrats and doing his own thing. He's the longest serving Independent member of Congress for a reason.

I understand that but it doesn't erase the simple fact that Bernie staying in through the convention is a bad idea. Especially if he doesn't release his delegates. I don't anticipate that he will finally give up as gracefully as Hillary ended up doing. I think to Bernie, finally "giving up" to him could mean breaking up with the Democrats and doing his own thing. He's the longest serving Independent member of Congress for a reason.

I agree that it's a bad idea. I just don't think Bernie will be able to keep up the attention necessary over the next six weeks to really remain a powerful enough force to be more than a side attraction at the DNC, and I think even he realizes this. Pretty much everyone outside of H.A. Goodman acknowledges Hillary Clinton is the presumptive nominee, and with that goes almost all the national spotlight on Bernie Sanders. He'll continue to accept meetings and tease announcements, but will likely get fewer high-profile meetings and get less attention as the weeks go on. He'll likely walk into the convention in July a much more diminished force than he was during the primary.

The Democrats by in large have rallied around their presumptive nominee, where most Republicans are keeping distance from theirs. A little DNC drama won't reverse all of that.

I agree that it's a bad idea. I just don't think Bernie will be able to keep up the attention necessary over the next six weeks to really remain a powerful enough force to be more than a side attraction at the DNC, and I think even he realizes this. Pretty much everyone outside of H.A. Goodman acknowledges Hillary Clinton is the presumptive nominee, and with that goes almost all the national spotlight on Bernie Sanders. He'll continue to accept meetings and tease announcements, but will likely get fewer high-profile meetings and get less attention as the weeks go on. He'll likely walk into the convention in July a much more diminished force than he was during the primary.

The Democrats by in large have rallied around their presumptive nominee, where most Republicans are keeping distance from theirs. A little DNC drama won't reverse all of that.

Donald Trump has relatively laid low outside of twitter after he clinched the GOP. I think both party candidates will be somewhat out of the spotlight until after the conventions and then they'll get their gloves on to fight till November

Iolo

Donald Trump has relatively laid low outside of twitter after he clinched the GOP. I think both party candidates will be somewhat out of the spotlight until after the conventions and then they'll get their gloves on to fight till November

Um, what. Trump has been doing a lot more than twitter these past few weeks. He just gave an unhinged speech not two days ago.

Drakeon

They will 100% lose this way too, there will be riots at the convention if they change the rules so they can get around nominating Trump. Don't think the people will come out and vote for whoever it is, Trump's contingent will be way too pissed off.

If the past few weeks have been Donald Trump "laying low", what will a post-convention Trump campaign look like?

From memory, I thought Clinton didn't release her delegates until the convention either. Although she had already given her cracks in the glass ceiling concession speech.

digdug2k

Bernie matters... enough anyway.

If he doesn't concede it likely means:

-Hillary didn't adopt enough of his proposals (more like demands). I am sure even meeting her halfway wasn't good enough. Dude wants a total overhaul of the DNC and party philosophy and he's a stubborn, selfish bastard who acts like his shit never stinks.
His philosophy basically IS the democratic party philosophy, at least as much as a coalition of different progressive groups can have a single coherent philosophy. There's nothing in the "Democratic platform" that's opposed to the agenda he's proposing. That's why they let him caucus with them in the first place.

The platform is intentionally vague, because "Democrat" is a coalition of people with lots of different viewpoints, not a one man show. i.e. relegating the party to "You must be in favor of single payer to be a Democrat" would be a death knell for a lot of Senate seats.

Holmes

Sahil Kapur was misleading. The question wasn't "are you ready for a two women ticket?" it was "do you think the US is ready for a two woman ticket?" And if you asked me in mid-2008 if I thought the US was ready for a black President, I probably would've said no (even though I supported Obama).

Link

The Autumn Wind
Have we been living on the same planet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom