• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Trump has more than proved himself to be a racist. If you can't see that then you are being willfully ignorant or you agree with it and just don't want to be called a racist.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
As a policy analyst, I don't want some stupid dumb fuck like Trump anywhere near our code of federal regulations. The man is a bull in a china shop and any possible miniscule gains that could be made by putting someone like him in charge of the executive branch are far outweighed by his general contempt for anything that is not Donald Trump.

I know it's a figure of speech but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzw2iBmRsjs

The whole bull in a china shop, not true

:p

Maledict

The judge comment was really bad and I don't have any defense for it. That's one example where the calls of racism ring true, but the only one imo. The Trump University case was killing him...I doubt he's gonna win the case. The evidence about Trump U being a worthless rip off looks clear as day. But even if it's the only one that's racist that's still one too many. Guy was backed into a corner with how brutal the Trump U media spotlight was at the time. I don't forgive him for it.

Yes you do. Your still supporting him and you will vote for him.

Strop being a coward. He's a racist. You are fine with him being a racist. You are going supporting a racist, knowingly. For the lulz.

What sort of person votes for someone who even they know is a racist, who didn't even give the barest apology for his comment?

Answers on a postcard.

Edit: this, btw, is why Trump supporters leave politics. Not because we're mean, (although we are!), but because it is utterly morally indefensible to support this abominable man. You cannot reason with people who write off racism like you are doing. It's pointless. Shame them, vote against their candidates, and look forward to the fact that with each passing year their bigoted, evil views grow rarer and rarer.

I love that notion that Trump "doesn't have lobbyists and corporations in his pockets to influence policies and decisions". It's ridiculous.
I'd like to hear why you think that's not true. Not trying to be be condescending...I want to know why you think he'll have lobbyists and corporate donors influencing his policy decisions.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Why the fuck does Hillary even have transcripts of her Wall Street speeches? Why would you create a record of that?

It seems absolutely bonkers to me.

She would have personal drafts of her speeches. She does not just speak off-hand. If nothing else for her personal files. That's why she is being asked to release but is not required to do by any law. It's personal documents.

Grief.exe

The judge comment was really bad and I don't have any defense for it. That's one example where the calls of racism ring true, but the only one imo. The Trump University case was killing him...I doubt he's gonna win the case. The evidence about Trump U being a worthless rip off looks clear as day. But even if it's the only one that's racist that's still one too many. Guy was backed into a corner with how brutal the Trump U media spotlight was at the time. I don't forgive him for it.

If you're backed into a corner, and you see your only way out as blatant racism.

You're a racist.

Retro

I think we as Americans have a chance in this election to elect a President that is so unconventional and would turn Washington and politics in general upside down.

. . .

This is our one chance to shake up the system.

You could save yourself and everyone else a lot of time if you just posted Heath Ledger Joker JPGs, ya know.

Edit: Y'all are too quick for my mobile posting ways.

Paskil

I'd like to hear why you think that's not true. Not trying to be be condescending...I want to know why you think he'll have lobbyists and corporate donors influencing his policy decisions.

Because all of his comments on or regarding Russia and their sphere of influence clearly show this to be true.

AndyD

aka andydumi

You just need to look at his list of economic advisers. It's nearly all Wall Street/corporate/hedge fund executives. It won't be a low level lobbyist, but a high level Wall Street CEO that directly influences his economic approaches to things.

Another place to look are his recent tax and economy proposals. They are all predominantly benefiting corporations and the wealthy at the expense of the federal budget and lower and middle classes.

This puts him square in the pocket of corporations and their interests already.

jevity

Look at his team of economic policy advisors. One economist, twelve billionaires. Trump is bypassing the lobbyists and working directly with people the lobbyists represent instead.

How is that not "in the pocket" ?

Grief.exe

His economic policies are bog standard Paul Ryan-era Supply Side Economics.

Just a huge handout to the top 5% of incomes and further degradation of corporate income tax.

KHarvey16

The racism is a lot like the violent rhetoric. The main difference is violent rhetoric has to actually be normalized whereas racism is perpetuated, but otherwise the same concept applies I think regarding relative ambiguity or subtle-ness versus being blatant. The latter is easier for everyone to dismiss and ignore, but the former slips through on the backs of apologists and more easily does damage.

Yes you do. Your still supporting him and you will vote for him.

Strop being a coward. He's a racist. You are fine with him being a racist. You are going supporting a racist, knowingly. For the lulz.

What sort of person votes for someone who even they know is a racist, who didn't even give the barest apology for his comment?

Answers on a postcard.

Edit: this, btw, is why Trump supporters leave politics. Not because we're mean, (although we are!), but because it is utterly morally indefensible to support this abominable man. You cannot reason with people who write off racism like you are doing. It's pointless. Shame them, vote against their candidates, and look forward to the fact that with each passing year their bigoted, evil views grow rarer and rarer.
If you're backed into a corner, and you see your only way out as blatant racism.

You're a racist.
It was a massive blunder. There's no denying it or defense for the judge remark. Backed into a corner with no defense of the Trump U controversy and he brings up the judge's Mexican heritage b/c there was nothing else he could say. Remarkably stupid. If something like that happens again I'm off the train. If people think I'm a racist or bigot b/c I didn't jump off the train after the judge remark then so be it. It wasn't until he backed off the Muslim ban a couple weeks ago and picked Pence as his VP (who publicly denounced it) that I made my choice to support DJT.

It was a massive blunder. There's no denying it or defense for the judge remark. Backed into a corner with no defense of the Trump U controversy and he brings up the judge's Mexican heritage b/c there was nothing else he could say. Remarkably stupid. If something like that happens again I'm off the train. If people think I'm a racist or bigot b/c I didn't jump off the train after the judge remark then so be it. It wasn't until he backed off the Muslim ban a couple weeks ago and picked Pence as his VP (who publicly denounced it) that I made my choice to support DJT.

Here's a thought...maybe he shouldn't have opened his orange fucking mouth for once in his life. You're not making your argument better, friend. You're basically excusing racism as long as it's an action of last resort. And, I'm sorry, that is gross.

Hopfrog

I will never understand those supporting Trump because they want to "get corporate influence out of politics" and they believe he will accomplish that.

He IS the corporate world - it is where he comes from. Electing him would just cut out the middle man.

Tarkus

Here's a thought...maybe he shouldn't have opened his orange fucking mouth for once in his life. You're not making your argument better, friend. You're basically excusing racism as long as it's an action of last resort. And, I'm sorry, that is gross.
Antagonizin' adam

She would have personal drafts of her speeches. She does not just speak off-hand. If nothing else for her personal files. That's why she is being asked to release but is not required to do by any law. It's personal documents.

Oh, people always refer to them as "transcripts" which I always found confusing.

She should have just gotten rid of the drafts, geez.

What's the blunder? Trump actually being racist or Trump accidentally admitting how racist he is out loud?

If it's the former, you might be racist and at the very least, you should really stop supporting a fucking racist if you aren't. If it's the latter, you're probably racist too and there's no point in talking to you rationally about anything because you're just really excited to vote for a fellow racist.

User1608

Banned
Pence is a bigot himself, towards the lgbt community. Supporting a man who favors conversion therapy and religious freedom laws does you no favors.

You just need to look at his list of economic advisers. It's nearly all Wall Street/corporate/hedge fund executives. It won't be a low level lobbyist, but a high level Wall Street CEO that directly influences his economic approaches to things.

Another place to look are his recent tax and economy proposals. They are all predominantly benefiting corporations and the wealthy at the expense of the federal budget and lower and middle classes.

This puts him square in the pocket of corporations and their interests already.
Look at his team of economic policy advisors. One economist, twelve billionaires. Trump is bypassing the lobbyists and working directly with people the lobbyists represent instead.

How is that not "in the pocket" ?
His economic policies are bog standard Paul Ryan-era Supply Side Economics.

Just a huge handout to the top 5% of incomes and further degradation of corporate income tax.
Do you guys not think there's a difference between having a team of billionaires as your economic advisers versus having billionaires lining your pockets with bribes? Lobbyists and corporate donors basically commit bribery...hush hush but still bribery.

If Warren Buffet was on his economic advisory team, would anyone object? These people know how to make money and know what makes a good economy.

Just want to say...I don't think he is a racist.

The Muslim ban was a big sticking point for me. That was legit bigotry against a religion which isn't the American way.

WSJ said:
In an interview, Mr. Trump said U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel had “an absolute conflict” in presiding over the litigation given that he was “of Mexican heritage” and a member of a Latino lawyers’ association. Mr. Trump said the background of the judge, who was born in Indiana to Mexican immigrants, was relevant because of his campaign stance against illegal immigration and his pledge to seal the southern U.S. border. “I’m building a wall. It’s an inherent conflict of interest,” Mr. Trump said.

His comments about some of the illegal Mexican immigrants coming over here being rapists and criminals wasn't about all Mexican immigrants...it's been morphed by the left into "Donald Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists and criminals". That's not what he said.

Donald Trump said:
“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

k

Serious question: do the different ways Trump supporters refer to him (e.g. Mr. Trump vs President Trump vs The Donald vs DJT) signify membership in different Trumper subgroups the way different colored suspenders and shoe laces tell people what kind of skinhead you are? If so, which subgroup is the DJTs?

KHarvey16

Do you guys not think there's a difference between having a team of billionaires as your economic advisers versus having billionaires lining your pockets with bribes? Lobbyists and corporate donors basically commit bribery...hush hush but still bribery.

If Warren Buffet was on his economic advisory team, would anyone object? These people know how to make money and know what makes a good economy.

Why would knowing how to make money mean you know how to run an economy? It's like saying a good cook must be a good farmer.

Paskil

Not surprised.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-wisconsin-idUSKCN10L1U5

U.S. appeals court stays ruling striking down part of Wisconsin ID law

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit issued the stay of a recent ruling by Judge Lynn Adelman in Frank v. Walker, concluding that “both that the district court’s decision is likely to be reversed on appeal and that disruption of the state’s electoral system in the interim will cause irreparable injury,” the department said in a statement.

Ophelion

It doesn't really matter if he does or not because he's already the kind of scumbag that people are thinking of when they say "corporate donor", the sort of person who would, and has, lobbied for political favors.

As has been pointed out again and again, he isn't a method of removing the potential for corruption influencing politics. He is literally voting that corruption into office. He says it himself, "No one knows the system better than me." Putting someone who has made a name for himself by gaming our system into the highest office in the land and then assuming he will not turn around and abuse those powers to further game the system for his own advantage is ridiculous.

It's like the Joker running to be police commissioner of Gotham City by saying no one understands crime better than him. And if you believe that shit, joke's on you...

Serious question: do the different ways Trump supporters refer to him (e.g. Mr. Trump vs President Trump vs The Donald vs DJT) signify membership in different Trumper subgroups the way different colored suspenders and shoe laces tell people what kind of skinhead you are? If so, which subgroup is the DJTs?

1) You don't use the title President Trump, he is not POTUS and hasn't been.

2) He has zero other titles, so the only way to address him in a professional manner is using Mr. Trump

It appears every single major issue Trump has had, you just reply with "I don't have any defense of that, it was something bad"

...shouldn't that cue you in that maybe supporting Trump is a bad idea? That he consistently does things you have no defense for and can't even imagine why he said them?

What?

Trump's biographer put this up last night...

Tony Schwartz ‏@tonyschwartz 17h17 hours ago

As I've said: Donald Trump doesn’t joke. He is never subtle. When he makes a death threat, it's because he's feeling impotence & rage.

I'm not the fastest typer so I use abbreviations at times. Nothing sinister, sorry

Why would knowing how to make money mean you know how to run an economy? It's like saying a good cook must be a good farmer.
Warren Buffet knows more about the economy than all of us combined. I would say the same for most billionaires...the ones he chose for his team, most of which probably have great education in economics.

Only one candidate is running as a billionaire, with billionaire friends, and billionaire advisors, with an "economic plan" that is explicitly premises on cutting corporate taxes, cutting taxes for wealthy families, and stopping ALL FINANCIAL REGULATIONS.

How the fuck do you conclude that THIS GUY is the one who will not work for corporate interests? He is explicit about it. Fuck.

The cognitive dissonance is goddamn incredible.

I don't really understand what the heck this post is even saying, but it made me think about when the last time we had a (major party) presidential candidate that didn't have any formal title and I can't think of any, although I don't know all the candidates going back 30+ years.

It appears every single major issue Trump has had, you just reply with "I don't have any defense of that, it was something bad"

...shouldn't that cue you in that maybe supporting Trump is a bad idea? That he consistently does things you have no defense for and can't even imagine why he said them?
It has been a difficult couple of weeks indeed.

KHarvey16

Warren Buffet knows more about the economy than all of us combined. I would say the same for most billionaires...the ones he chose for his team, most of which probably have great education in economics.

Warren Buffet knows about the economy through the lens of investing. He's very good at what he does, but that doesn't mean he'd be equally as good at anything else he might do.

This is the same nonsense reasoning that brings us household budget analogies during macro economics discussions. It fails at even the slightest hint of analysis.

Just want to say...I don't think he is a racist. I've explained why before in a long post but the examples people cite (like in that one article everyone references) are from 20, 30, 40 years ago. Here's a guy who grew up with a silver spoon among all rich white people...I'd be surprised if he wasn't a bigot when younger, even just 20 years ago. Specifically relating to his policies, I don't consider upholding the law and deporting illegal immigrants as racist. His comments about some of the illegal Mexican immigrants coming over here being rapists and criminals wasn't about all Mexican immigrants...it's been morphed by the left into "Donald Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists and criminals". That's not what he said.

The Muslim ban was a big sticking point for me. That was legit bigotry against a religion which isn't the American way. But he backtracked on it significantly weeks ago and chose a VP that publicly denounced it. I think it was one of those snowball statements Trump used to keep himself in the headlines and not something he legit believed in. That's my gut feeling.

Yeah he picked a VP that openly hates gay people. So awesome. It's also hilarious that you think not including all Mexicans in his comment makes it less racist. His comment was extremely racist. Wanting to deport 11 million people is the definition of white nationalism and you get so upset when someone calls you out on it.

It's not for the LULZ. Among wanting to have someone "shake things up", he supports deporting 11 million people because it's the law.

Business people aren't economists and have no clue how to run an economy. The simple fact trump postulated about shorting our debt payments proves this.

1) You don't use the title President Trump, he is not POTUS and hasn't been.

2) He has zero other titles, so the only way to address him in a professional manner is using Mr. Trump

I'm talking about how his supporters refer to him. I routinely see supporters on messageboards calling him "Mr Trump" or DJT, where most other politicians are called eg Obama, Bush, Hillary, Romney, etc. I'm wondering if the pet names indicate a tribal affiliation the way someone using "Democrat" as an adjective does.

Because speeches are generally written down? Did you think she was invited to do improv?

As a lawyer when I hear the term "transcript" I think of someone else recording the speech for posterity, not her own personal notes.

My point is she should have gotten rid of the notes if that's all this is about, at least when she decided to run. Or she should have accidentally saved over them or something.
Or never give the fucking speeches in the first place.
. What a self inflicted wound.

I'm just shocked that it took Jonah Goldberg's dumb ass this long to admit that the GOP is completely unprincipled.

But hey, maybe I should be proud of Jonah Goldberg for getting from A to B. Only twenty-four more metaphorical letters left, Jonah.

I'm sorry I think it's a bunch of bologna. 1500 posts in the thread in OT...taking it out of context. It wasn't part of the script...he was riffing, it had a hint of sarcasm too. You can tell by his voice and mannerisms when he said it. He just doesn't know how to carefully form his sentences.... compare to Obama. Watch an Obama press conference or speech and look how much time he spends between sentences and words....multiple second pauses between words and sentences b/c he knows he has to be extremely careful with what he says since the media will take a sentence out of context and make a headline out of it. It's even worse with DJT b/c doesn't know how to talk like a politician and never will and most of the media has a clear bias IMO.

Riffing is not an excuse to incite violence.

Sarcasm/joking is not an excuse to incite violence.

If he can't form a simple sentence, he's not fit to manage a fucking Applebee's.

There is a reason that politicians talk like politicians.

Watch the quote in context. You can see that Trump sensed he was losing the crowd, so he popped off until he got a reaction. His ego is as fragile as his tiny bird hands. He is a weakling who is in no way qualified to lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom