• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of Two Dangerous Candidates Poses the Greater Risk?

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...itics-oppose-his-candidacy-official-statement

This has been the NR narrative for quite a while, yet it continues to fascinate me.

Saying it is unquestionable that Clinton will destroy the first and second amendment with her supreme court pick is hilarious. I say this as someone who would point to freedom of speech as an area where I separate with Clinton. But the fact is, the areas I separate with her are areas where the large majority of the supreme court seperates with her, not 5-4 judgements.

Corporations are not citizens. They do not and should not have freedom of religion or freedom of speech. Dark money in our politics is not a good thing. Citizens United should be over turned.

That isn't destroying freedom of speech. Now she has been for a few things that I think go way too far... but this isn't that, and as I said those things are such that the supreme court is so heavily weighted against her that she isn't flipping it on those issues (namely stuff like Innocence of Muslims).

Jill Stein is a far greater threat than Clinton what with all her anti science quackery.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Cpg53o-VMAEQcRp.jpg

Nice!
Stupid memes. I spent a good 30 seconds looking for a 69% in this lol

nice.

Don't want to create a thread for this question and figured this would be an appropriate place to ask - anyone have a good book recommendation about Malcom X? I am really fascinated and want to learn more - something that mixes biography/accounts but also includes his written works/speeches and analysis.
Hamza Yusuf has pretty amazing videos on Malcolm X on youtube. I'd recommend those. Other than that, Autobiography of Malcolm X is the place everyone starts.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The dude ordered his people to shut down a public highway to get back at a political opponent.

Fuck his fat ass.

I know, I just wanted him to fall from a greater height over this. Dude's already KOed, he's got no fall left to make. He deserved to fall from grace over this, but he's already done that. I just feel like there's no justice here, ya'know, like he should be falling from the top of the Empire State Building instead of tripping on his own shoelaces while he crawls along on the ground.

TyrantII

Warren Buffet knows more about the economy than all of us combined. I would say the same for most billionaires...the ones he chose for his team, most of which probably have great education in economics.

You seem to be confusing investing in the markets with the Economy. Two very different beasts.

Hopfrog

This is untrue. Billionaires don't necessarily know how to manage an economy. Not Gates, not Buffet, not Carlos Slim, not Elon Musk. They, presumably, know how to make money for themselves and for their companies. This doesn't translate into managing an economy and sustaining an environment where there are hundreds of thousands of moving parts each looking for their own self interest.

By this dumb ass logic, Julia Louis-Dreyfus would be better suited for managing the economy than Paul Krugman

I also do not understand how you square these notions:

"Too much money in politics is ruining the system!"

"We should only have billionaires crafting economic policy!"

Joeytj

Banned
Well, Wisconsin is gone for Trump. He really pissed off Republicans by not endorsing Ryan.

And yeah, Clinton slaughtering Trump amongst Likely Voters is quite something.

Here's what should concern the Trump team: it's not just that Hillary is winning Wisconsin, but the margin that she's winning by. That spells huge problems for him in the Midwest including Iowa, which demos are fairly similar to Wisconsin, more so than Minnesota, in terms of non-college educated whites who voted for Obama in 12.

OmniOne

Is there anything dodgy about the lv screens this year? This screen has historically benefitted the GOP in previous years right?

What changed in the screening methods? What's the chance that these screens are counting LVs incorrectly?

Im a cynic so all this good news is making me skeptical.

MULawPoll ‏@MULawPoll 17s17 seconds ago

Among likely voters, Feingold 53%, Johnson 42%. In July, it was Feingold 49%, Johnson 44%. #mulawpoll

YASSS

Warren Buffett is pretty clear on what he thinks about Donald Trump, if we're allowed to use him as an authority figure on economic matters.

Is there anything dodgy about the lv screens this year? This screen has historically benefitted the GOP in previous years right?

What changed in the screening methods? What's the chance that these screens are counting LVs incorrectly?

College educated whites?

Who says they aren't still benefiting the GOP ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The city of Cincinnati proper will go for Clinton, I guarantee it. It's a fine city, the suburbs not so much.

Want to hear something awesome?

I read an article last night that Trumps entire GOTV operation in Cincy and the burbs was based out of one person's house. He's 100% volunteer. Has no contact with the campaign or the RNC. Literally, just some guy who loves Trump. There's one staffer, but, again, she has no contact with the entirety of Trump's ground game...which, again, is one guy working out of his house.

I'd like to hear why you think that's not true. Not trying to be be condescending...I want to know why you think he'll have lobbyists and corporate donors influencing his policy decisions.

Trump’s economic advisers are also his biggest donors.

And then, surprise, surprise, surprise, Trump's economic plan is a wet dream for Wall Street. HE PROPOSED REMOVING ALL FINANCIAL REGULATIONS! You need to wake up and realize that you have been conned.

MULawPoll ‏@MULawPoll 32s33 seconds ago
Among Democrats and Dem-leaners, 81% say they are “absolutely certain” they will vote. In July, it was 78%. #mulawpoll
2 retweets 0 likes

MULawPoll ‏@MULawPoll 54s55 seconds ago
Among Republicans and GOP-leaners, 78% say they are “absolutely certain” they will vote in Nov. In July, that was 80%.

OmniOne

College educated whites?

I get the groups Hillary is smashing it with this group atm but I was wondering if they've changed who they consider a likely voter. For instance in 2012 they kept screening out people who did end up showing up as a part of Obamas coalition. Wasn't this why the polling was much closer that the final result ended up being? Incorrect assumptions on who he electorate would be. I'm just hoping that isn't at play again but this time not in our favor.

thebloo

Per Pigeon's shaming theorem, the responses should become: not only are you supporting a racist, you are supporting a racist loser. Haha, Donald L. Trump.

Trump basically put out a death threat against Hillary yesterday. Today that's all people should be talking about but they're also bringing up more emails nonsense when they talk about her.

You're killing me Hillary..

Want to hear something awesome?

I read an article last night that Trumps entire GOTV operation in Cincy and the burbs was based out of one person's house. He's 100% volunteer. Has no contact with the campaign or the RNC. Literally, just some guy who loves Trump. There's one staffer, but, again, she has no contact with the entirety of Trump's ground game...which, again, is one guy working out of his house.

Really, the whole county will go for Clinton most likely. Everything North to Dayton and East to West Virginia will go Trump, it's white as fuck, gun nuts and double wides throughout most of it.

I'd imagine it's because Likely Voters are more likely to be college educated. A group that Trump is particularly bad with.

idk

I'm supposed to be working.

Help fam.
You have a problem..

Dudes, has this been posted? Christie bomb about to drop
Damn.. What a fuck.

C-bus stays winning. Dayton stays losing.
It's the only part that wins anymore.. :)

Literally, one time where I don't hate that Wisconsin is part of the B1G.

GO BADGERS
Don't do that.. Ever Adam.. EVER!!

The city of Cincinnati proper will go for Clinton, I guarantee it. It's a fine city, the suburbs not so much.
let's not go that far.

Some DCCC internal polling of suburban swing districts

CA-10: Clinton+6 (Obama+3)
CA-25: Clinton+25 (Romney+2)
CO-6: Clinton+14 (Obama+3)
FL-7: Clinton+14 (tied)
FL-26: Clinton+24 (Obama+11)
IL-10: Clinton+31 (Obama+16)
MN-3: Clinton+24 (Obama+1)

Have fun outrunning that sinking ship you rats.

Say you have Dems those 7 districts and the 7 GOP-held Sabato has ranked as Lean D or better. Sabato still has 12 GOP-held tossups compared to only 3 for the Democrats which puts them just 5 seats shy of a majority of they swept them (FL-2, a Dem-held seat is lost). I mean this is going to really require Democrats to run the tables but Clinton is putting up wave numbers right now, and with waves come fluke seats and seats no one is even looking at right now.

Still not going to expect winning the House but I think Dems have a decent shot.

I also do not understand how you square these notions:

"Too much money in politics is ruining the system!"

"We should only have billionaires crafting economic policy!"
Not to mention the fact that only one of these two candidates has pledged to overturn Citizen's United, and he's voting against her. Overturning CU would legitimately shake up Washington for the better much more than anything Trump has proposed.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Oh crap I just realized Hillary's strategy on appealing to conservative endorsements is making her acceptable to work with in a republican congress.

Think it'll work?

Joeytj

Banned
Here's what should concern the Trump team: it's not just that Hillary is winning Wisconsin, but the margin that she's winning by. That spells huge problems for him in the Midwest including Iowa, which demos are fairly similar to Wisconsin, more so than Minnesota, in terms of non-college educated whites who voted for Obama in 12.

Not so fast on Iowa. Clinton is actually underperforming Obama a bit there, because of its low amount of college educated whites compared to other red-leaning states like North Carolina or even Georgia.

A recent Marist poll had Trump and Clinton tied. What the Wisconsin polls show is that Minnesota is definitely not up for grabs, and neither is Colorado.

Somebody, please poll Texas!

It makes a lot of sense for this year. Largely LV screens filter out people whose enthusiasm for the candidate or actually voting is low. "How likely are you to vote on Election Day?" questions like that.

Some DCCC internal polling of suburban swing districts

CA-10: Clinton+6 (Obama+3)
CA-25: Clinton+25 (Romney+2)
CO-6: Clinton+14 (Obama+3)
FL-7: Clinton+14 (tied)
FL-26: Clinton+24 (Obama+11)
IL-10: Clinton+31 (Obama+16)
MN-3: Clinton+24 (Obama+1)

Have fun outrunning that sinking ship you rats.

Say you have Dems those 7 districts and the 7 GOP-held Sabato has ranked as Lean D or better. Sabato still has 12 GOP-held tossups compared to only 3 for the Democrats which puts them just 5 seats shy of a majority of they swept them (FL-2, a Dem-held seat is lost). I mean this is going to really require Democrats to run the tables but Clinton is putting up wave numbers right now, and with waves come fluke seats and seats no one is even looking at right now.

Still not going to expect winning the House but I think Dems have a decent shot.

I'm starting to regret that bet we made

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is actually one of my favorite things about that.

People are concerned that Hillary might reward her donors with policies they want.

Trump hired all of his donors to tell him what policies to enact!

YOU LITERALLY CAN'T GET MORE CORRUPT THAN THAT

I'm sure if he really tried he could find a way to get more corrupt than that.

Oh crap I just realized Hillary's strategy on appealing to conservative endorsements is making her acceptable to work with in a republican congress.

Think it'll work?
Maybe.

But the rate things are going, she might not have to worry about working with a Republican Congress (at least for her first two years).

Just hope she gets a big enough Senate majority that as long as pretty much Collins and Murkowski are on board she can get stuff done.

Trump basically put out a death threat against Hillary yesterday. Today that's all people should be talking about but they're also bringing up more emails nonsense when they talk about her.

You're killing me Hillary..
Law of diminishing returns.

There's no more impact on her. Like everyone knows she was dumb with her email shit. Maybe it will stay in the news for a day and it's peanuts compared to what the orange man is yelling about.

Not so fast on Iowa. Clinton is actually underperforming Obama a bit there, because of its low amount of college educated whites compared to other red-leaning states like North Carolina or even Georgia.

A recent Marist poll had Trump and Clinton tied. What the Wisconsin polls show is that Minnesota is definitely not up for grabs, and neither is Colorado.

Somebody, please poll Texas!

We actually haven't had enough polling in Iowa besides that one Marist poll. Also, they were only tied in the full race, not the H2H, and I imagine those 3rd party numbers will fade a bit by November. I just don't think Trump's brand of populism plays well in the Midwest.

Iowa and Wisconsin have similar amount of non-college educated whites who voted for Obama in 12. I would be surprised that if she's up by 15 in Wisconsin, she's not up by a decent amount in Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom