• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know how much dick I got at the Christian Youth Convention i went to at 18?

It's practically the "other" thing large scale out-of-town gatherings are for for some people. If this were a straight article it would be a complete waste if time because people fucking is not news. Which is why I believe the outing was the whole point, and this journalist can go kick rocks.

Drama Camp my sophomore year of high school. 150 high school kids in a hotel for a week. Hahahaha. You do the math. :p

tmarg

I don't even understand the purpose of the article.

Of course people are boning at the Olympics! This is not new or surprising information. No one didn't know this already.

Assholes did the same thing about the RNC in Cleveland. When there are people that are on vacation or grouping in a different way...of course people are going to be hooking up. How is this "journalism" and how you defend those actions as journalistic practice is beyond me.

People write about Olympians fucking every Olympics. It's never been news, but it happens every time anyway. I imagine the author thought that writing about hookup apps was an "interesting" 2016 spin on it. In the past they'd write about what kind of condoms were being distributed or whatever.

Not that there is any excuse for outing someone.

Tarkus

These last few pages...
readImage

...hav bin gud

i'm gonna make it worse

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/centcom-accused-of-manipulating-intelligence-isis-fight-syria-iraq/

According to a hard-hitting government task force report released Thursday, intelligence generated by the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) was manipulated to paint a rosier picture of the U.S. effort to combat ISIS in Iraq and Syria.

The report finds that, beginning in mid-2014, final intelligence reports issued by CENTCOM contradicted the initial internal assessments made by its own analysts, reports CBS News correspondent Jim Axelrod.

"The facts on the ground didn't match what the intelligence was saying out of the United States Central Command," said Rep. Mike Pompeo, R-Kan., a member of the task force.

kess

Exactly.

Cross ticket voting has been decreasing every single year since 1988 and due to the hyper partisan nature of this season, it will likely continue declining this year. The top of the ticket will determine the outcome in most of the battleground states including Ohio provided the race tightens before the election (which I think it will).

I have no idea how close the overall vote will be in the presidential election, but if it is 8% or above, there simply is going to be no outrunning the top.

People are much less likely to split their ticket to vote for what is, in effect, the farm team of GOP assholes, especially since they're generally super xenophobic tea partiers with policies infinitely worse than the national position.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at Hannity telling that Trump plane/saving military members story again as if it were true. Precious.

apology

I know these types of issues are thorny. I myself, am obviously extremely lucky to be a white dude. I don’t know what fear of being outed as a gay person is and never will.

I wrote the post from my own experience. I’ve used these services and have wanted to share things I couldn’t, be more honest than I could and can be due to social norms around sex, dating and life. I approached the situation from that perspective which is obviously much different than the visceralness of being only 20 years of it being criminalized in the US. and still punishable by death in many places. I face only embarrassment or mild castigation for what I was basing my experience on. I’m extremely careful about what I share online do to those mild fears. I meant to express that. Obviously, I, in the process of that, seemingly and unintentionally gave the impression, or did, downplay certain aspects of many people here. I understand that. I’m sorry.

Though, I can’t compare the two. I should have know better or realized how things would come out. On GAF there have been a few times where the issue of antisemtism has come up and I feel anger and contempt for people seemingly downplaying it. For people skirting around that issue to focus on another one that they cared more about. I did the same here. And I couldn’t see that. That’s my fault and my error.

I knew what I was posting was likely to get some attention like that and I knew I was going to get victim blaming posts. But I thought something was missing from the discussion. I still think there is a lot missing from the discussion about privacy, especially on the internet and changing norms. But that doesn’t need to be brought to every discussion. Privilege does that though, it blinds you and makes you feel like you need or should make a point which can be better made at other times, I should have known that as I’ve learned a lot about that in my many years on GAF.

And I want to add that the doubling down kind of comes from the internet and its almost automatic. Nobody wants to be wrong. And with the ability to quote and selectively respond it feels worse because you feel like people aren’t being honest and twisting you into saying things you never said or feel. And just seeing all the green text overwhelms. And you end up going down a rabbit hole you never wanted to go down and sometimes saying things you didn’t want to somehow 'win' or 'defend yourself'. There are still posts that I think misrepresent me but I can’t fix them all, people take what they want to take from your words. That’s why you have to be careful with them. When they leave you mouth or keyboard you can’t take them back or force someone to react a certain way.

There’s more I can say but I just wanted to post this. I walked into a hornets nest and got stung.

I really didn’t mean anything to justify outing, and if I said anything like that I’m sorry I was wrong. Poligaf is a home for me and I love how inclusive it is. And it's made me a better person and hopefully this will to. Didn’t mean to upset this.

There are likely times in this post where I didn’t own up fully or maybe said something wrong or that I shouldnt have. Feel free to point those out, I’m open to doing better in the future and improving my blindness around many issues. GAF is good about that.
Post some gifs now.

apology

I know these types of issues are thorny. I myself, am obviously extremely lucky to be a white dude. I don’t know what fear of being outed as a gay person is and never will.

I wrote the post from my own experience. I’ve used these services and have wanted to share things I couldn’t, be more honest than I could and can be due to social norms around sex, dating and life. I approached the situation from that perspective which is obviously much different than the visceralness of being only 20 years of it being criminalized in the US. and still punishable by death in many places. I face only embarrassment or mild castigation for what I was basing my experience on. I’m extremely careful about what I share online do to those mild fears. I meant to express that. Obviously, I, in the process of that, seemingly and unintentionally gave the impression, or did, downplay certain aspects of many people here. I understand that. I’m sorry.

Though, I can’t compare the two. I should have know better or realized how things would come out. On GAF there have been a few times where the issue of antisemtism has come up and I feel anger and contempt for people seemingly downplaying it. For people skirting around that issue to focus on another one that they cared more about. I did the same here. And I couldn’t see that. That’s my fault and my error.

I knew what I was posting was likely to get some attention like that and I knew I was going to get victim blaming posts. But I thought something was missing from the discussion. I still think there is a lot missing from the discussion about privacy, especially on the internet and changing norms. But that doesn’t need to be brought to every discussion. Privilege does that though, it blinds you and makes you feel like you need or should make a point which can be better made at other times, I should have known that as I’ve learned a lot about that in my many years on GAF.

And I want to add that the doubling down kind of comes from the internet and its almost automatic. Nobody wants to be wrong. And with the ability to quote and selectively respond it feels worse because you feel like people aren’t being honest and twisting you into saying things you never said or feel. And just seeing all the green text overwhelms. And you end up going down a rabbit hole you never wanted to go down and sometimes saying things you didn’t want to somehow 'win' or 'defend yourself'. There are still posts that I think misrepresent me but I can’t fix them all, people take what they want to take from your words. That’s why you have to be careful with them. When they leave you mouth or keyboard you can’t take them back or force someone to react a certain way.

There’s more I can say but I just wanted to post this. I walked into a hornets nest and got stung.

I really didn’t mean anything to justify outing, and if I said anything like that I’m sorry I was wrong. Poligaf is a home for me and I love how inclusive it is. And it's made me a better person and hopefully this will to. Didn’t mean to upset this.

There are likely times in this post where I didn’t own up fully or maybe said something wrong or that I shouldnt have. Feel free to point those out, I’m open to doing better in the future and improving my blindness around many issues. GAF is good about that.
Post some gifs now.
tumblr_inline_mlmo7ppU0h1qz4rgp.gif

hawk2025

The best part of reading the last two pages is that I had a feeling NYCmetsfan was good people and reasonable, so that eventually we would get to a good point on the discussion.

I'm really happy I wasn't disappointed :)

I think these types of conversations are good. It forces us, all of us, to approach situations from a different perspective. Cause, if we can't have our opinions challenged once in a while....what's the point of discussing things?

hawk2025

The irony of Stein's nonsense is that Hillary will be the most progressive President in US history

The Clinton correctors so far have used some wedges that only liberal voters would care about — they seeded out the ideas that Stein was anti-science, anti-vaccines, and anti-GMOs. Notice how specific these hits are? They speak to the proclivities of a very discrete group of individuals. For many people in the greater population, those three things would not be even noteworthy, let alone divisive issues. But among young liberals, this is a way of slicing and dicing the audience. Some will be pro these things, and some anti, even though they are essentially all the same liberal tribe. It’s a very particular divide-and-conquer issue. And it’s very clever.
Of course, none of these things are even remotely true. As a medical doctor, Jill Stein has a much broader education in science than most people, and her views are measured and nuanced.

But...

It's literally on her website as part of her platform?

I'm sorry, is she putting a moratorium on GMOs just for fun, then?

This article basically thinks that discussing policy means you are trying to "divide and conquer", lol

In the end, you can only make yourself aware that these things are going on, scroll past anyone who is obviously baiting, and keep your focus set on the positives of your candidate, and the future you want to create. Educate yourself about your candidate and her vision and enthuse about her relentlessly, and don’t engage anyone casting suspicion or trying to tell you your vote is being wasted. Just press “like”. That really confuses them.
You are aware, awake, and educated enough to know that your compass is set to true.

This is the worst fucking advice ever. Jesus.

andthebeatgoeson

Someone just brought this to my attention...

Where's Bernie "I will do everything in my power to make sure Trump doesn't make it into the White House" Sanders?

Now that Trump has come out with his trickle-down economic plan, you'd think he'd be out there front and center hammering him...
Naps.

apology

Post some gifs now.

Here's a puppy :)

GlMeWA1.gif

But...

It's literally on her website as part of her platform?

I'm sorry, is she putting a moratorium on GMOs just for fun, then?

This article basically thinks that discussing policy means you are trying to "divide and conquer", lol

This is the worst fucking advice ever. Jesus.
"We should only focus on the positives of our preferred candidate!"

"That being said, Hillary Clinton is friends with Henry Kissinger"

ampere

I think these types of conversations are good. It forces us, all of us, to approach situations from a different perspective. Cause, if we can't have our opinions challenged once in a while....what's the point of discussing things?

Yeah, as long as the goal isn't trolling, it's OK to sometimes have contention and disagreement on serious issues.

but guys seriously wtf is with the DEA. they suck

Emarv

Good stuff, NYC. One of my favorite things about PoliGAF is people owning up to things or at least trying their best and always staying civil.

Now we just gotta do something about that "metsfan" part ;P

hawk2025

The whole premise of the article is basically "don't listen to anyone else for any reason".

It doesn't surprise me at all that she shared it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Good stuff, NYC. One of my favorite things about PoliGAF is people owning up to things or at least trying their best and always staying civil.

Now we just gotta do something about that "metsfan" part ;P

Don't you talk shit about the Mets!

thebloo

Oh my god.

“I’m not a big believer in man-made climate change,” Trump said, despite vast scientific evidence to the contrary. “There could be some impact, but I don’t believe it’s a devastating impact.”

In the past, Trump has called climate change a “hoax.”

“I would say that it goes up, it goes down,” he said. “Certainly climate has changed. … The problem we have is our businesses are suffering. Our businesses are unable to compete in this country because other countries aren’t being forced to do what our businesses are being forced to do, and it makes us uncompetitive.”

He is the worst kind of idiot.

holy shit a Donald Trump supporter on CNN just said outright that the Barack Hussein Obama comment was on purpose to make it seem like there's something nefarious about his intentions

Piecake

When Jill Stein and her supporters slam and criticize others it is okay because it is morally right to criticize and insult neoliberal imperialists who are ruining the country, but when someone criticizes Jill Stein those are just brainwashed or paid shills of the neoliberal establishment. These people are wrong to criticize and should not criticize because Jill Stein is clearly right and everyone else is wrong, and if there is criticism, then its clearly the result of some conspiracy and not just more people being made aware of her pandering and loony views.

Saw Tom Perez speak at Hillary HQ in Lakewood, OH. It was cool to be at such a small event with a heavy hitter like him. He put a focus on how Hillary can and will be effective at getting Republicans to work with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom