• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Was there ever any doubt that Clinton would stick to progressive reform even when trying to court moderates? Good lord, bunch of people wetting the bed over that is annoying. Aside from the convention having a bit more chest pounding, for what I assume was trying to nab some R votes through sheer presentation, it's all been strictly left the entire way.

These favorable numbers are so all over the place though. ABC/Wapo and Reuters have it nearly even, others show low 40s, and then there's something like NBC/WSJ who has Trump in the 20s and Clinton in the 30s.

RCP and Pollster averages have Clinton in the low 40s, which seems right.
The correct answer unsurprisingly is somewhere in between. The answer to those questions depends on the phrasing of question. If it's more...agressive, it can be seen as leading. Different Pollsters choose different words for phrasing.

Strickland doesn't seem so far back that he couldn't turn it around or win in a wave, but yeah, I'm seeing what you guys were saying about him being an especially bad candidate.

Murphy is still good though.

Yeah, I stick by what I said before. The Dems who are down by 1-2 (Ross, Murphy) are going to get dragged over the line at the end, and I guess that could be Murphy now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bubble is about to pop.

Hannity is going to do an opening monologue to night on the "incredible media bias".

Diablos now!

Sometimes I wonder if Hannity is so far right that he cannot see the irony, or if what Olbermann says is true and he is acting. Olbermann swears by the fact that Hannity told him it was all theater.

2339nml.jpg

Media seems to have started taking a much more proactive stance on fact-checking Trump. On NPR, every time they cover him they stop every time they quote him and go over what isn't true and what, very occasionally, is. It's very much welcome.

This has to be fake

Why the fuck would you out someone, unless they're like a closeted politician campaigning for anti-LGBT laws

Hope daily beast gets their shit sued over this
They didn't intentionally out people. They wrote a story that people want to read and were careless in not realizing vague details would get picked up on be internet detectives.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, regarding the whole debate thing, when do we find out who's moderating the debates (or has it been announced, I can't find anything but dates and location)?

I figure that might be when Trump ratchets up the rhetoric against them if it's anyone but someone like Hannity.

This has to be fake

Why the fuck would you out someone, unless they're like a closeted politician campaigning for anti-LGBT laws

Hope daily beast gets their shit sued over this
It isn't fake. His thesis was how would Olympic athletes use Grindr in Rio. Like, uh, hookup like every other country that uses the app? and the author even has the audacity to say "I never lied, if they asked I would have told them the truth". I hope no one gets hurt and they get sued/the author loses his job. Shits disgusting, they were hiding their sexual orientation for a reason. Some of these countries have the death penalty for Christ's sake.

jevity

Even without knowing all the details, this could literally be a death sentence for some of the athletes.

This has to be illegal, and I'm not talking about a potential civil lawsuit.

I am talking criminal court and hard time.

I'm physically sickened by reading about this.

"It wasn't intentional" mitigates nothing.

Exactly, and worse it has no news value, so even if they did hide their identities better it was only for clicks and tabloid level worthy journalism. The article, and I hesitate to even call it an article, shouldn't have even been written in the first place.

Ecotic

Sometimes I wonder if Hannity is so far right that he cannot see the irony, or if what Olbermann says is true and he is acting. Olbermann swears by the fact that Hannity told him it was all theater.
I think Hannity is just an actor playing whatever role is in style in order to cash a paycheck. I've seen him play a 'Support our Troops' war-hawk Republican in the 2000s, a Tea Party budget and austerity Republican when that was in style in 2009-2014, then morphed into a rah-rah supporter of Trumpism because that's who tunes in now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think Hannity is just an actor playing whatever role is in style in order to cash a paycheck. I've seen him play a 'Support our Troops' war-hawk Republican in the 2000s, a Tea Party budget and austerity Republican when that was in style in 2009-2014, then morphed into a rah-rah supporter of Trumpism because that's who tunes in now.

I remember his radio show after the 2008 (or 2012) election and the man had a bit of a breakdown and started talking rationally. Specifically he was talking about illegal immigration and how deporting them all isn't feasible.

It isn't fake. His thesis was how would Olympic athletes use Grindr in Rio. Like, uh, hookup like every other country that uses the app? and the author even has the audacity to say "I never lied, if they asked I would have told them the truth". I hope no one gets hurt and they get sued/the author loses his job. Shits disgusting, they were hiding their sexual orientation for a reason. Some of these countries have the death penalty for Christ's sake.
I have major issues with a reporter publicising his encounters and some of the homophobia but people need to stop treating these things as "private" when they reveal personal information publicly.

They stopped hidding when they used the app and identified themselves. Any of those governments could do the same.

That doesn't excuse or make right the reporter has his action to publish it was wrong but that part of criticism is sticking ones head in the sand about how private these people were keeping the secret. I'm not saying they invited the invasion but like not locking your door you helped facilitate it by making it easier

That doesn't excuse the story and make the people who out them intentionally any less dicks and horrible people (which I don't think this writer is btw, his an idiot who didn't think things through) but people's expectations of what is secret snd private when anyone posts publicly needs to be looked at so people can understand what information they are putting out there.

Again I don't think the reporters actions were justified or that the person doing the action which was enabled is any less of an asshole or that we shouldn't hold people accountable when they do crimes and other actions enabled by the victims. But you have to protect yourself.

Edit: I completely understand the intricacies around homophobia and how this is a special issue with LGBT people. And again, I'm not saying they are to blame.

pigeon

Banned
I remember his radio show after the 2008 (or 2012) election and the man had a bit of a breakdown and started talking rationally. Specifically he was talking about illegal immigration and how deporting them all isn't feasible.

That was the establishment GOP position. That's why they spent two years on immigration reform and wrote a white paper about how the GOP needs to learn to appeal to minorities.

Then Cantor got knocked out of office and they threw all that away forever and nominated Trump.

Hannity is a pure mouthpiece that just offers whatever talking points the RNC head hands him.

Bowdz

Incoming downballot disaster

Cpm9H5-UsAAIvrQ.jpg

That's pretty normal for what English pollsters have seen.

Exactly.

Cross ticket voting has been decreasing every single year since 1988 and due to the hyper partisan nature of this season, it will likely continue declining this year. The top of the ticket will determine the outcome in most of the battleground states including Ohio provided the race tightens before the election (which I think it will).

I have no idea how close the overall vote will be in the presidential election, but if it is 8% or above, there simply is going to be no outrunning the top.

CCS

Banned
I have major issues with a reporter publicising his encounters and some of the homophobia but people need to stop treating these things as "private" when they reveal personal information publicly.

They stopped hidding when they used the app and identified themselves. Any of those governments could do the same.

That doesn't excuse or make right the reporter has his action to publish it was wrong but that part of criticism is sticking ones head in the sand about how private these people were keeping the secret. I'm not saying they invited the invasion but like not locking your door you helped facilitate it by making it easier

That doesn't excuse the story and make the people who out them intentionally any less dicks and horrible people (which I don't think this writer is btw, his an idiot who didn't think things through) but people's expectations of what is secret snd private when anyone posts publicly needs to be looked at so people can understand what information they are putting out there.

Again I don't think the reporters actions were justified or that the person doing the action which was enabled is any less of an asshole or that we shouldn't hold people accountable when they do crimes and other actions enabled by the victims. But you have to protect yourself.

I'm sorry, but please fuck off with this. Some of these athletes come from countries where they have never legally been allowed to have sexual relations with someone they are attracted to. If they are spending time in Brazil for the Olympics, for some of them it may be the first time in their life that they can "publicly" look for partners to hook up with. You either have no empathy or severely warped priorities.

OUTING PEOPLE IS NEVER OKAY. THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION, NO EXCUSE, NO MITIGATION. THE END.

This is very silly victim blaming. It's easy to say "don't look for sex" when you aren't from a country that criminalizes gay sex.

KHarvey16

It does to the vitriol against the writer as some short of evil dude who tried to harm people.

Not in light of the fact he likely has harmed people for absolutely selfish, utterly unjustifiable reasons. The article was ill conceived garbage and any decent human being wouldn't have written or published it.

The notion of victimhood on the part of the journalist is fucking stupid. A lot of horrible people are horrible because they don't know any better, but that's never an excuse.

I'm sorry, but please fuck off with this. Some of these athletes come from countries where they have never legally been allowed to have sexual relations with someone they are attracted to. If they are spending time in Brazil for the Olympics, for some of them it may be the first time in their life that they can "publicly" look for partners to hook up with. You either have no empathy or severely warped priorities.

OUTING PEOPLE IS NEVER OKAY. THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION, NO EXCUSE, NO MITIGATION. THE END.
I'm not justifying at all. But you literally put on a public forum who you are and that you're looking for something. Bad actors exist. They are bad actors even if you helped facilitate the bad act.

I do have empathy for them. Absolutely.

I'm arguing that people protect themselves and we do a better job of telling people how to.

CCS

Banned
Edit: I completely understand the intricacies around homophobia and how this is a special issue with LGBT people. And again, I'm not saying they are to blame.

You are. No matter how you disclaimer it, what you posted contains the obvious and irrefutable implication that it is the athletes fault.

I'm not justifying at all. But you literally put on a public forum who you are and that you're looking for something. Bad actors exist. They are bad actors even if you helped.

I'm arguing that people protect themselves and we do a better job of telling people how to.

"Why did you drive into that bad neighborhood? Shoulda known better"

CCS

Banned
I'm not justifying at all. But you literally put on a public forum who you are and that you're looking for something. Bad actors exist. They are bad actors even if you helped facilitate the bad act.

Or maybe we can tell people not to exploit LGBTQ people and risk destroying their lives for clicks, and people to stop acting as apologists for them because they get off on blaming LGBTQ people for their own oppresion?

I guess that might be too hard.

(Sorry if discussed)

Anyone watch the 538 short film about Dukakis?

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

If anything, it shows how in the tank the media can be for/against a particular candidate where a video in a tank can (somewhat) take down a campaign, yet, in 2016, Trump can say to assassinate his opponent and lives on. Amazing.

Anyway, I was 10 during that race and seeing GHWB say "liberal left" now I understand a little more the household I grew up in that hated Reps with a passion. And well done to my parents for being that way.

let's do a better job of telling people how to protect themselves by maybe not publishing a piece alluding to LGBT athletes from socially-backwards countries finally having a reasonably private outlet, and particularly not publishing one in a way that allows internet shitbags to track them down and endanger their lives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom