• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, like. When it comes to the debates. A lot of people think Trump won't go. Then you always see a post like "Clinton should go anyway and get two free hours of great publicity."

But, like, she could do that now if she wanted. Do people think that the reason Clinton isn't getting two hour long interviews is because the media doesn't feel like giving her the time? Any news channel would bump anything for that. If she wanted to have a two hour long conversation with a debate moderator, she could do it any day of the week.

I just love how utterly simplistic their line of thinking is. 'There was a negative story for Clinton and a negative story for Trump so the coverage of both should be the same'. Clearly there could never be two negative stories that weren't equally news worthy. Clearly an unfortunate oversight of putting someone they didn't recognize on a stage that looked bad for Clinton was equally worth covering as Trump suggesting gun owners do something to stop Clinton picking supreme court judges if elected.

What do the billboards say out of interest?

Jumping off this a bit, there was an article on NBCNews that was deplorable. It was a few days ago. It basically went ahead and made arguments against Hillary for the Trump campaign because Trump's team was unable to stay on message. That's....that's not how this works. It is not a news organization's obligation or responsibility to ensure that a candidate is getting a fair amount of criticism and pushback from their opponent. It was completely ridiculous, and it really pissed me off.

Cpqnve7UMAABSAg.jpg:large

I watched Moral Orel. It did some interesting things, structurally, but most of its commentary on the foibles and flaws of Middle America is pretty off-the-rack, and its characterization is typically pretty absurd and unrealistic even on its own terms.

They really want this weak connection between the Clinton Foundation and the State Department to stick because a week later and random nothing news sites are still pushing it as a new story. Just saw a story this morning from an "anonymous source" that despite the DOJ saying there wasn't enough evidence to do anything and this was all just politics, the FBI is going over their head and investigating anyway.

People just do not care at all about this. Trump has created a vacuum of news that doesn't seem to make any negative news for Hillary actually go anywhere.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Not happening. Wants to handpick the moderator? Good luck with that.

Also, the whole Fox News "liberal media" stuff is hilarious considering their ratings are through the roof and more people watch them than anywhere else.

The campaign bumblefucks cant even tweet like Trump. A basic Trump tweet to damage control those ISIS comments would look like

"@CNN playing my clips saying Obama founded ISIS to improve failing ratings. I never said that. Joking!"

Thats how Trump would tweet.

Not happening. Wants to handpick the moderator? Good luck with that.

Also, the whole Fox News "liberal media" stuff is hilarious considering their ratings are through the roof and more people watch them than anywhere else.

He'll negotiate. Who the hell knows what he considers a "fair" moderator, though.

HEADS UP:

Mark Murray ‏@mmurraypolitics 4m4 minutes ago
Heads up: Brand-new NBC/WSJ/Marist polls of CO, FL, NC, and VA to be released at 11:30 am ET

I doubt he's aware and his circle of idiots won't tell him.
He doesn't get a say in the dates.
He doesn't get a say in the formats.
The CPD will choose the moderators. Like forever.

He can show up. Or not.

sonicmj1

I don't think he's crumbling. He's like an MMA fighter that's clearly starting to lose a fight but doesn't know how to get momentum back. He's at the point of the fight Connor McGregor was at in the Nick Diaz fight, when he wasn't so down on the score cards that he couldn't turn it around, but he was so clearly going to continue getting beaten up if he stuck to the gameplan, that he started trying to change tactics.

He's flailing trying to find something that works. Which makes him really vulnerable right now. But I don't think he's crumbling under pressure. It's more coming to the realization that he can't keep campaigning the way that comfortably won the previous contests. He's got to find something new, in the middle of a heated contest.

He's definitely looking for a more effective message, but I haven't seen any evidence that he's changing the way he's campaigning, which is really the entire problem.

Donald Trump wants to be able to go to rallies and press interviews, get up there at the podium with nothing prepared, and say what he wants until he finds a point that excites the crowd. His party wants him to be a serious candidate, and they've tried a few times to get him to read prepared remarks that fit his general "America First" message, but after a few days he gets tired of reading "boring" speeches and goes back to doing what he's comfortable with.

You could see it with the "founder of ISIS" stuff. As he demonstrated in the Hewitt interview, he was attached to it not because of the substance of the criticism (which Hewitt identified for him when giving an out), but because of how good it sounds. "Obama founded ISIS" sounds so much better than "Obama made decisions that allowed ISIS to grow". He even gave him an MVP award! And he made one for Hillary too! If he admits that it's not literally true, then he can't say it anymore.

He thinks if he just finds the right phrase, the way he did with the Mexico wall in the primaries, he'll turn things around. He doesn't have the patience for any other way of campaigning. And as long as he's operating based on what works best with his biggest supporters, he's never going to get the middle back, because he'll keep saying stuff that sounds awful to everyone else.

Rubenov

Trump blamed one of primary losses on not showing up to a debate. He acknowledged it hurt him. That's the closest I've seen him come to admitting a mistake.

He'll show up for the debates.

Previous Marist numbers in case anyone wants them before the new ones drop

VA-41/34 (Queen)
NC-42/36 (Queen)
CO-39/33 (Queen)
FL-41/36 (Queen)

jevity

Wow, just saw on CNN that Trump is giving his SERIOUS islamic terror speech on monday.

Let's get some fake headline/comment predictions going :

"Trump : " And believe me people, that Al-Mack Daddy guy from ISIS is NOT a leader
like Putin"

New NBC/WSJ/Marist polls
CO: HRC 46, Trump 32 (+14)
FL: HRC 44, Trump 39 (+5)
NC: HRC 48, Trump 39 (+9)
VA: HRC 46, Trump 33 (+13)

HOLY FUCK

Mark MurrayVerified account
‏@mmurraypolitics
New NBC/WSJ/Marist polls
CO: HRC 46, Trump 32 (+14)
FL: HRC 44, Trump 39 (+5)