• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure it was clumsy, and straight up horrible in season 1, but when it tried to be about something it was actually really touching. "Be Fruitful and Multiply" and "Close-face" were legitimately great episodes, and the Christmas S1 finale was almost good enough to justify that shit that came before.

It's first half was pretty good satire at times and it's last half turned into a pretty good serious look at a family in crisis.
Like the Alpha Couple described in a lot of Darnielle's earlier tapes/the focus of his album Tallahassee (which has a few songs featured in the show-well two from it along with one from The Sunset Tree), Orel's parents are constantly and violently coming apart and back together. Not to mention the way his father behaves especially what with the physical abuse and all.

It gives in the end an uplifting message about escape from that kind of life and believing in your own ideals be it in faith or otherwise regardless of how you grew up. That you can form as your own person despite the storm you faced and come out the other side better for it. Etc. It's a very intimate show and I like it a lot.

Maybe I quit too early. I watched a few episodes then checked out. I might dip back in.

Odds that Trump, 1-2 weeks before the election, comes out and says that he's going to give every white person and Christian person a 5,000 tax credit (or some other benefit)?

I'm guessing that's the ace up his sleeve to drive up the white vote. Unabashed white supremacy with a carrot.

"For every illegal immigrant or Muslim you discover and deport, you will receive a $500 tax credit. Double for babies."

That's bait.

Nah, people already explained why they liked it and caused me to reconsider. I'll admit I was harsh.

Cponf8GUEAEp1WB.jpg

So...his childcare policy is take a vacation.

Also, Penn States Young Republicans won't endorse Trump. When Penn fucking State takes the moral high ground....

I find it sad that I constantly find myself trying to figure out whether the latest lie by the Republican nominee for the president of the United States is borne out of stupidity or maliciousness.

Sure it was clumsy, and straight up horrible in season 1, but when it tried to be about something it was actually really touching. "Be Fruitful and Multiply" and "Close-face" were legitimately great episodes, and the Christmas S1 finale was almost good enough to justify that shit that came before.

It's first half was pretty good satire at times and it's last half turned into a pretty good serious look at a family in crisis.
Like the Alpha Couple described in a lot of Darnielle's earlier tapes/the focus of his album Tallahassee (which has a few songs featured in the show-well two from it along with one from The Sunset Tree), Orel's parents are constantly and violently coming apart and back together. Not to mention the way his father behaves especially what with the physical abuse and all.

It gives in the end an uplifting message about escape from that kind of life and believing in your own ideals be it in faith or otherwise regardless of how you grew up. That you can form as your own person despite the storm you faced and come out the other side better for it. Etc. It's a very intimate show and I like it a lot.
Yeah, the show is very touching. I think the satire also pairs very well with it, and even though it's unforgivingly funny sometimes the satirical points are pretty well written. For instance, the episode where a family moves next to the Puppingtons and are completely identical except for their version of the Lord's prayer is just side clenchingly great, because it's a simple and obvious but effective dig at the nonsensical animosity between Christian denominations. The fact that it wraps up with
the kids being swapped and the parents having absolutely no clue because they can't tell the difference
says so many things at once that I think Dino is an unsung genius.

mo60

This story is golden.. It's one story but there's so many things.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/201...ding-american-citizens-guantanamo-bay-n628861

First. Trump is cool with sending American Citizens to Gitmo.

His supporters in Florida showed off this...

160811-trump-kkk-2339_4df7720a0946f70e3db5fcdabace4baa.nbcnews-ux-600-480.jpg

And his supporters harassed the media.

1s5KwqL.png

The video is hilarious. His name is Patriot. America Patriot.
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/763897477401567232

That video reminds me of this guy in last year's federal election in Canada.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-harper-duffy-questions-1.3194754

mo60

I guess my thinking is after the meeting tomorrow with the RNC what if they do start working together and start a ground game. Is it too late for that or is it just enough time for them to get their shit together?

His fate is sealed. He's most likely going to lose by 7+ points at this point.He can not change the minds of every single group he has pissed off in this election.

watershed

Banned
Unbelievable. He'll call her the devil and say she co-founded isis but somehow her medical records are off limits lol.

Could be because he's hiding his own medical conditions. Remember the letter written by his "doctor" that reads exactly like it was written by Trump himself? I wouldn't be surprised if he's got some health issues he doesn't want to talk about.

What if the October surprise ends up being that she really did kill Seth

Personally

In the middle of a seizure

In Benghazi

That same day Trump would decide to call Hillary a cunt, call for the assassination of Obama, and publicly swear his allegiance to Putin simply because he must remain the top story

It's crazy to think David Shuster was once an actual reporter on MSNBC. Now he's a guy on twitter spreading stuff that's one step below infowars in terms of credibility.

Sianos

Could be because he's hiding his own medical conditions. Remember the letter written by his "doctor" that reads exactly like it was written by Trump himself? I wouldn't be surprised if he's got some health issues he doesn't want to talk about.

This, and additionally I also think that Trump is just aware enough to realize that if he demands Hillary release her medical records and she complies, they'll start asking him about some other records as well...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What if the October surprise ends up being that she really did kill Seth

Personally

In the middle of a seizure

In Benghazi

What I'm more interested in is what Trump will do to create a big enough negative media cycle to overshadow that.

Have we found his limit?

Sopan Deb ‏@SopanDeb 20m20 minutes ago
Trump won't take bait on Clinton medical records: "No, I don't want to get into that. I think it would be inappropriate for me to comment."

Sawbuck says it's because his is legitimately, secretly, campaign endingly bad.

How old is that dude? Eating KFC for dinner?

thebloo

I find it sad that I constantly find myself trying to figure out whether the latest lie by the Republican nominee for the president of the United States is borne out of stupidity or maliciousness.

I know most would disagree, but I don’t think he's a evil guy. He's a child playing for attention. Sure, in this context he is dangerous, but I still don't think it's malice.

Maengun1

It's weird, I never paid all that much attention to Wikileaks but I did have the impression that they were a neutral thing, as in "we are looking for whatever information we can find, and we will leak everything we find, because The People Deserve To Know" or whatever. Which... I don't really agree with entirely, but ... whatever?

But it's so transparently clear now that their actual current mission is "we want whatever information we can find that specifically harms democrats, so give us just that please, and if you don't have anything we'll just make shit up" ...which, at that point, means nothing they say can be trusted anyway? Bored now

tmarg

It's weird, I never paid all that much attention to Wikileaks but I did have the impression that they were a neutral thing, as in "we are looking for whatever information we can find, and we will leak everything we find, because The People Deserve To Know" or whatever. Which... I don't really agree with entirely, but ... whatever?

But it's so transparently clear now that their actual current mission is "we want whatever information we can find that specifically harms democrats, so give us just that please, and if you don't have anything we'll just make shit up" ...which, at that point, means nothing they say can be trusted anyway? Bored now

They are upset that the Obama administration actually tries to prosecute them. They seemed to think they would be commended for their efforts. Nevermind that republicans wouldn't be any more accommodating.

Have we found his limit?

Sopan Deb ‏@SopanDeb 20m20 minutes ago
Trump won't take bait on Clinton medical records: "No, I don't want to get into that. I think it would be inappropriate for me to comment."

Not yet, but hey Hannity is "pushing" the issue, that'll give him credit to talk about it. He'll get there.

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
Ratings challenged @CNN reports so seriously that I call President Obama (and Clinton) "the founder" of ISIS, & MVP. THEY DON'T GET SARCASM?

THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS ORANGUTAN.

jevity

He was sarcastic. You know, like rain on your wedding day. SARCASM!

surprise, he doesn't understand the concept of sarcasm either.

By the way, why are you guys not up in arms over his comments about overtime pay and
getting rid of the entire department of education ????

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There's too much bullshit. We can't be mad about everything. People are kinda done with him for a little while I think b/c he's losing so badly.

jevity

There's too much bullshit. We can't be mad about everything. People are kinda done with him for a little while I think b/c he's losing so badly.

On one hand I wholeheartedly get that and share the same sentiments, on the other I still think it's scary and and irresponsible none of the networks are talking about this, since this
is not about an "off the cuff" comment, but about wanting to roll back one of the few political "victories for the little guy". And I think his blue collar base derserve to know more about
his actual policies.

Spends all day, in several appearances, talking about how Obama and Clinton ISIS, and they're MVPs for ISIS.

Now it's sarcasm.

He's looking for a way out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He knows what he is doing. Give these soundbite rallying cries that his base will lap up and cling to.

Then, he denies it was anything but a joke, yet his base still spreads those lies. He is a hatemonger.

So that tweet came from the campaign, not Trump himself.

This one though does comes from Trump:

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 2m2 minutes ago
I love watching these poor, pathetic people (pundits) on television working so hard and so seriously to try and figure me out. They can't!

Great! No need to understand a presidential candidate!

Loudninja

Onion news!

Trump’s Prefrontal Cortex Admits It Can’t Possibly Filter All Impulsive Comments Coming From Rest Of Brain
NEW YORK—Saying it was completely exhausted and overwhelmed by its strenuous workload, Donald Trump’s prefrontal cortex admitted Thursday it was simply unable to filter through the torrent of impulsive comments coming from the rest of the presidential candidate’s brain. “I’m just completely inundated with erratic thoughts and knee-jerk reactions from all sides—there’s no way I can possibly screen everything that’s being produced in here,” said the higher-order structure of Trump’s brain responsible for impulse control and long-term planning, adding that the number of hastily formed ideas it was expected to evaluate and cull before they reached the speech motor cortex had been increasing steadily over the past year. “Sometimes, four or five different instinctive urges will try to get through all at once, and it’s just impossible to stop every one of them. I keep thinking they’ll eventually peter out, but there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight. I’ve been doing this for 70 years—I’m just drained.” Trump’s prefrontal cortex admitted that it could use significant help from the neural circuits in the angular gyrus and posterior cingulate that are tasked with moral decision-making, but noted that the ineffectual structures had stopped functioning years ago
http://www.theonion.com/article/trumps-prefrontal-cortex-admits-it-cant-possibly-f-53502

tuffy

Trump's statement to CNBC says it all:
At the end, it’s either going to work, or I’m going to, you know, I’m going to have a very, very nice, long vacation.
"It's either going to work" and nothing. It's just an empty void of a possibility. The "nice, long vacation" part of the statement is where all the emphasis is because that's what the future will be in his mind.

I'll see if I can dig some stuff up later today but they've never been neutral. They've always been about outing the West's secrets not promoting transparency. Like Trump they're driven by personal animus not morals or an ideology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom