• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paskil

How bout that Katy Perry swimsuit yesterday tho

FYI, don't look it up now if you're at work since you'll probably also see Orlando Bloom's elven codpiece.

How bout that Katy Perry swimsuit yesterday tho

FYI, don't look it up now if you're at work since you'll probably also see Orlando Bloom's elven codpiece.

Best part about working from home, I can look up anything I want at anytime. Who's going to fire me? Me? I laugh!

pigeon

Banned
!

@MacFarlaneNews:

Oh my. Intriguing.

This is an extension of his previous position -- he's always said there would be situations where he would unendorse Trump. He just can't identify one, and nothing that's happened yet, including being a white nationalist and a fascist, being untrustworthy with nuclear weapons, sending Trump volunteers to secretly work for Paul Ryan's primary opponent, etc., is apparently sufficient to cross the line.

In the interview they asked him to identify a situation where he would rescind his endorsement and he wasn't able to come up with one.

-----

Come on Trumpys down here. Vote for Duke.

From my anecdotal experience living in SC. (I've moved out of there recently.)

Most of the growth in that state is from white conservatives up north who are just as racist as the people living there already.

They like to talk about the good old days a lot.

ampere

Gee, I'm so sorry your hopes of bringing white nationalism back to America may not work out.

Because I've ignored your trolling posts calling me a white nationalist/racist/whatever, right. I'll continue to ignore them.

Pigeon is not trolling

Trump is a white nationalist

The only way you can even argue around this is to say that you're OK with white nationalism because you want X or Y, like you are OK with white nationalism because you want Trump to start nuclear war and destroy the planet

And that's not a good argument. If there is a good argument for why the white nationalism should be ignored, present it to us. Don't try us for fools and say Trump isn't a white nationalist

Diamond Joe keeps winning.

(((Scott Smith))) ‏@ourmaninchicago 3h3 hours ago

Biden with some lead-by-example advice for bosses everywhere.
(From this month's @esquire)

CpGSnyMXYAAiBiD.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
This is an extension of his previous position -- he's always said there would be situations where he would unendorse Trump. He just can't identify one, and nothing that's happened yet, including being a white nationalist and a fascist, being untrustworthy with nuclear weapons, sending Trump volunteers to secretly work for Paul Ryan's primary opponent, etc., is apparently sufficient to cross the line.

In the interview they asked him to identify a situation where he would rescind his endorsement and he wasn't able to come up with one.
I love that it keeps nagging him. It's like he stepped in dog shit and no matter how much he wipes, the stench won't go away until he decides to toss his shoes.

I dismissed babygate as silly, but this post stolen from Facebook makes an excellent point:

In talking about Trump and the baby, people seem to be focusing on the idea of "who yells at a baby?" And it is kind of in line with our questions about his temperament to frame this as Trump yelling at a baby.

But he didn't yell at a baby. He yelled at a woman who had a baby.

And more importantly, he didn't just yell at her, he gaslighted her, telling her at first that it was OK that her baby was fussing, and then acting like she was nuts for taking him at his word and should have somehow divined magically that he actually wanted her to leave.

This was an example of three horrible things all wrapped up in one. First, Trump's tendency toward doublespeak, saying one thing, meaning the exact opposite and acting like everyone else is bizarre and ignorant for taking his words at face value. Second, the aforementioned gaslighting, which is an always an abuse tactic, full out.

Third, and this is a little more nuanced, it's a prime example of the insidious way in which parenting forces women, especially, out of public life. When babies aren't welcome somewhere, when babies start crying, it is mothers who are expected to stay home, mothers who are expected to take the baby out, mothers whose lives are interrupted.

It's not "Trump yells at a baby."

It's "Trump uses abusive tactics and reinforces marginalization of women with children by yelling at mother of young baby."

Sometimes brevity is the enemy of an accurate picture of just how bad something is.

Yup. 100% agree.

It's almost like Ryan wants to drop Trump. He's baiting Trump so he unleashes another torpedo and that will make it easier for Ryan to abandon ship.

Politics is such a cynics' picnic.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I love that it keeps nagging him. It's like he stepped in dog shit and no matter how much he wipes, the stench won't go away until he decides to toss his shoes.
I wonder how many sleepless nights he's had wishing he would have stuck with his first instinct and declined becoming Speaker.

The Harambe memes started as some alt-right racist thing, correct?

No way.

Harambe is a Twitter meme. After he was killed, Irony Twitter/Weird Twitter elevated him to a martyr figure. They routinely post pictures in his honor, post songs with his name inserted into them, and pay tribute to him in their jokes. Popular joke formats include conspiracies surrounding Harambe's death, posting pictures of Harambe in company of other famous departed figures, and simply lamenting his great loss as something you will never let go.

There is even a Vine or Danny Trejo saying "Dicks out for Harambe."

Harambe is a figure for peace and change, for justice and sacrifice. RIP, beloved ape.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Diamond Joe keeps winning.

(((Scott Smith))) ‏@ourmaninchicago 3h3 hours ago

Biden with some lead-by-example advice for bosses everywhere.
(From this month's @esquire)

Everything I read about him further cements his position as my favorite politician ever. If there's one person in the world I would love to have dinner with, it's him.

Cmon. He is at least not Heulen, which means there is some self-awareness ergo he's not an alien. Like it or not, 35% of America supports Trump. That's a big chunk. Poligaf cannot become insulated echo chamber. If he's willing to get dogpiled and defend his opinions, let him discuss. Trump wants to ban people of my faith from entering US, and his surrogates said people like me should be thrown in internment camps and "deported", despite holding a US citizenship. What I want to say is that the rhetoric is absolutely acidic and I'm one of the groups that will be at the forefront of Trump's firing squad and making his supporters sit on a donkey and ride them out of town doesn't help me, not the ones who are self aware at least.

I don't want PoliGAF to be an echo chamber either, but this reminds me a little too much of the argument that Reddit needs to allow racist subreddits because it's important to have a dialogue with their users. It just strikes me as a bit naive to think that trying to have a polite, earnest dialogue is going to make a difference. It's a little different from trying to open a dialogue with McCain or Romney supporters.

dramatis

I've been told I'm nuts for saying this, but isn't the whole pantsuit think really sexist?

Like, women politicians have to "become men" to be taken seriously. Even at formal functions, American women politicians never really wear gowns.
I don't think so.

Before 1993, it was actually against the rules for women to wear pants on the Senate floor. Wearing pants and pantsuits became a statement against the rules written by men about what women could or could not wear. There were rules against this in the White House too, until Hillary put an end to that.

In the present day, some people might see the pantsuit as a compromise between gender and power. But I think that's just a opposite reaction dependent on the fashion trend of the times. People think a woman should be reject needing to "become men" and therefore dress more feminine, but I think it's more like traditional men's clothing has been claimed by women as their own, in their own way.

From a Hollywood Reporter article that talked specifically about relating Hillary's look to the pantsuit in Hollywood last week.
"For a while, the trend was very feminine," said Dana Asher Levine, a personal shopper and stylist who has worked with actress Emma Roberts, producer Shonda Rhimes and producer Michelle King. "Women traded in pants for dresses and skirts ... They were dressing for meeting [Barack] Obama and Michelle. Now they’re dressing for Hillary Clinton and [California Attorney General] Kamala Harris."

"Everything used to be a boyish cut," she continued, referring to the Armani suits of the 1990s and early 2000s. "Suits now, they have a flared leg, and the jackets end at the butt. They are very sexy on."

Levine said, "It’s the way women are saying, 'Hillary we’re ready for you.'"

The Harambe memes started as some alt-right racist thing, correct?

No way.

Harambe is a Twitter meme. After he was killed, Irony Twitter/Weird Twitter elevated him to a martyr figure. They routinely post pictures in his honor, post songs with his name inserted into them, and pay tribute to him in their jokes. Popular joke formats include conspiracies surrounding Harambe's death, posting pictures of Harambe in company of other famous departed figures, and simply lamenting his great loss as something you will never let go.

There is even a Vine or Danny Trejo saying "Dicks out for Harambe."

Harambe is a figure for peace and change, for justice and sacrifice. RIP, beloved ape.

I've always thought it was a bit in bad taste. I have seen Harambe used in a lot of super racist meme stuff regarding AAs including but not limited to the Leslie Jones harassment on Twitter. When there were the police killings I was seeing lots of stuff about how we had killed the wrong gorilla and shit like that. It makes me uncomfortable seeing you all joke around about it because that is what I associate it with, but I understand not everyone does.

I've always thought it was a bit in bad taste. I have seen Harambe used in a lot of super racist meme stuff regarding AAs including but not limited to the Leslie Jones harassment on Twitter. When there were the police killings I was seeing lots of stuff about how we had killed the wrong gorilla and shit like that. It makes me uncomfortable seeing you all joke around about it because that is what I associate it with, but I understand not everyone does.

I wasn't aware that racists had tried to appropriate the meme and I'm quite upset to hear it. I have never seen Harambe used in a racist context, but I now see that clearly has been.

I always loved Harambe jokes because it came from a place of tongue-in-cheek collective mourning. It brought people together. Harambe was everybody's joke.

I'm weirdly emotional about this.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't want PoliGAF to be an echo chamber either, but this reminds me a little too much of the argument that Reddit needs to allow racist subreddits because it's important to have a dialogue with their users. It just strikes me as a bit naive to think that trying to have a polite, earnest dialogue is going to make a difference. It's a little different from trying to open a dialogue with McCain or Romney supporters.

As someone who comes from a culture that is much more on the "shaming people into not doing things" - I promise you that the engagement is far more fruitful in the long run then trying to just shame people into not believing XYZ thing. It doesn't work, and usually leads to growing the very same thing that is trying to be shamed.

FreezeSSC

Question for the board, will Hillary announce her economic panel before elections or is trump jumping the gun, I dont know what the precedence is with respect to announcement of cabinet and staff.

But why is NM still there?

It automatically puts the 10 closest states (as in the states with a win probability closest to 50%) in there.

New Mexico (80% Clinton) is slightly closer than Pennsylvania (82% Clinton) at the moment in the model, granted I expect that to flip at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom