• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Shockingly this place does a lot of policy wanking...

Hell, I remember what the thread was like when the ACA was making it's way through Congress. That's the sort of thing this thread does best. Hopefully there's a nice juicy piece of policy in her first year to talk about.

What has me disheartened about Georgia is that, yeah, Hillary is leading by 4%, but I'm not ready to put my hope on a Georgia win yet. I want to see how Johnson voters eventually split towards.

Hell, I remember what the thread was like when the ACA was making it's way through Congress. That's the sort of thing this thread does best. Hopefully there's a nice juicy piece of policy in her first year to talk about.

It's going to be immigration policy, which I think is going to be pretty fascinating.

Between that and SCOTUS, there will be a ton to discuss. The first hundred(-plus) days are totally a thing.

I find shaming only works if people care what you think in the first place. So if liberals and conservatives are increasingly polarized and cut off from each other, shaming may be less effective. I'm not saying I wouldn't react with open disgust if a coworker or family member praised Trump, or was openly racist. Just that a lot of the republicans who are more okay with voting Trump over abortion or taxes are reachable and potentially can be walked back via dialogue.

Two things:

1)You still seem to be arguing for conversion. I find this unlikely and a waste of time. The nation is polarized so that this isn't happening frequently. I'm arguing for shame as a turnout depressant.

2)I find pro life and "fuck you got mine" taxes Republicans too right wing to let under the tent, so to speak. Anyone who would choose Trump is willing to allow outright racism to become law. I don't really care if they're racists themselves or not; I'm sure a lot of nice people advocated for slavery or Jim Crow for economic reasons too.

thefro

The pro-life thing is fairly easy to solve with technology.

You have birth control to where you can't get pregnant unless you want to (stops embryos from implanting in the womb, maybe with nanotech), tech to repair genes so that babies aren't born with horrible defects, artificial wombs so no woman has to make a choice between the fetus' life and her body.

There'd probably still be a few abortions here and there, but you could eliminate 99.99% of them

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I know quite a few life long republicans who are either abstaining, voting for Hillary or voting third party. Rich people who think Trump is a clown and worse for business than Hillary. Nuclear War or becoming an international pariah would probably hurt their portfolio more than 4/8 years of a Democrat, especially a fairly business/hawkish one.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/newt-gingrich-campaign-debt_us_57a4d293e4b03ba6801241c7
Gingrich filed a document with the Federal Election Commission this week detailing a debt settlement plan to finally terminate his 2012 presidential campaign committee. The document shows that “Newt 2012” plans to stiff 114 businesses and consultants that are altogether owed $4.6 million.

The former House speaker, failed presidential candidate and Donald Trump vice president runner-up was forced to file the debt settlement plan with the FEC as part of its alternative dispute resolution process. Gingrich was the subject of a complaint alleging that his campaign had illegally commingled campaign funds with corporate funds from a company controlled by Gingrich and his wife Callista.

While the FEC general counsel found reason to believe the allegations in the complaint, the six commissioners split along ideological lines in a 3-3 vote, it did not penalize Gingrich. Instead, the campaign agreed to file a debt settlement plan and terminate in 2016. The plan was originally due on May 23, but Gingrich was granted an extension until August 1.

The debt settlement plan document indicates the “total amount to be paid to creditors” is zero dollars.

Gingrich did not respond to a request for comment made through two spokespeople.

It’s common for political campaigns to wind up in debt that takes years to pay off ― President Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign still owes $725,583, down from nearly $2 million two years ago ― but Gingrich owes an unusually large amount from his battle with Mitt Romney in the 2012 Republican primary.

The debts are owed to small firms that helped the Gingrich campaign knock on doors, call voters, produce TV ads and distribute yard signs. In 2012, The Huffington Post interviewed several vendors who were pretty mad about getting stiffed. The sums involved ― tens, even hundreds of thousands of dollars ― weren’t chump change for a small business.

“We got burned,” a Las Vegas graphics company owner said then.

But by last year, several vendors seemed to accept the fact that Newt would never pay, so they had given up contacting the campaign in an effort to collect.

Grief.exe

You have birth control to where you can't get pregnant unless you want to (stops embryos from implanting in the womb, maybe with nanotech), tech to repair genes so that babies aren't born with horrible defects, artificial wombs so no woman has to make a choice between the fetus' life and her body.

There'd probably still be a few abortions here and there, but you could eliminate 99.99% of them

Sounds unrealistic as it would be too expensive on top of being an optional medical procedure that wouldn't be covered by insurance. Which would limit it to a small amount of people who would likey be able to afford, and understand the use of, birth control anyways.

The issue is getting cheap contraceptives and teaching to poor communities and regions anyways... Or richer right wing areas that have banned planned parenthood.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As a person who lives in the Boston (and therefore NH) media market I can tell you Newt ads would appear once per break, every break, during every football game and news broadcast in 2011. He paid out the nose. I don't think even Jeb/Rubio/Cruz came close to that.

Syncytia

We have a few different birth control methods that are very effective at preventing pregnancy already. The problem is providing access to them for anyone who wants them. Honestly I think birth control (whether pill, IUD, shot, patch) should be free for any woman, but then the conservatives argument is that "birth control leads to more sex." The other problem is STIs, there would need to be a major increase in education about preventing transmission, which is pretty substandard as it is.

https://gop.com/rnc-commemorates-the-51st-anniversary-of-the-voting-rights-act/

WASHINGTON - Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Reince Priebus and Co-Chair Sharon Day released the following statement on the 51st anniversary of the Voting Rights Act:

“The Voting Rights Act of 1965 was a monumental step forward in ensuring equal rights for every American, and today we honor not just that legislation, but also those who devoted themselves to its passage and sacrificed to see it become law. Guaranteeing the right of every American to vote is a staple of our democracy, and the Republican Party, just as it did in 1965, remains committed to ensuring access and fairness at the ballot box. Through Republican efforts, Americans now have increased voting opportunities through absentee balloting and early voting measures, and as we remember this day in American history, we stand firm in protecting future generations’ right to vote.”

“As the Party of opportunity and fairness, we honor that day in 1965 when barriers of prejudice gave way to civic justice,” said RNC Co-Chair Sharon Day. “Today we pay tribute those leaders who courageously fought to give millions of Americans a voice at the polls, and declare once again our Party’s mission of defending the constitutional rights of every American.”

This party....

Crisco

Banned
I really could care less about the headline polling numbers at this point. The one thing that has remained constant, even when Trump was "surging" in the polls, are his numbers with hispanics. It is damn near close to mathematically impossible for him to win Florida while polling in the low to mid teens with hispanics, which means he's never really had a realistic path to victory. The only thing that's changed in past couple weeks is I doubt even an economic disaster or 9/11 2.0 could turn things around at this point.

The Reuters tracking poll actually only has Clinton up by 2 now.

After everything we've seen from them I'm surprised people still pay attention to them so much. This is the same pollster that had to change methodologies a couple weeks ago and is consistently off when it comes to Obama approval compared to the averages.

After everything we've seen from them I'm surprised people still pay attention to them so much. This is the same pollster that had to change methodologies a couple weeks ago and is consistently off when it comes to Obama approval compared to the averages.

also they had Obama up by 12 like 5 days before the 2012 election

The Reuters tracking poll actually only has Clinton up by 2 now.

Their last release was on the 3rd. It was 43/39.
The release they had today is 42/39, and today isn't even their weekly release, so far as I know.

This is the same poll that had her up 15 while everyone else said it was a 2 point race. They also recently decided to re-weight and shift their methodology a bit.

Two things:

1)You still seem to be arguing for conversion. I find this unlikely and a waste of time. The nation is polarized so that this isn't happening frequently. I'm arguing for shame as a turnout depressant.

2)I find pro life and "fuck you got mine" taxes Republicans too right wing to let under the tent, so to speak. Anyone who would choose Trump is willing to allow outright racism to become law. I don't really care if they're racists themselves or not; I'm sure a lot of nice people advocated for slavery or Jim Crow for economic reasons too.

I'm not arguing from R to D conversion; something more like Trump into Romney republican. The base hasn't always been this overtly hostile to people of color and immigrants, and I'm hoping the process that made them worse can be reversed.

I'm not arguing from R to D conversion; something more like Trump into Romney republican. The base hasn't always been this overtly hostile to people of color and immigrants, and I'm hoping the process that made them worse can be reversed.

Trump didn't convince them to become racist, Trump convinced them to be open about it.

They're beyond saving.

The GOP need to stop leashing themselves to bigotry. They need to drop social conservatism like a ton of bricks. I know plenty of people who are classically republican, but can't support the current GOP with their stances on gay marriage etc. This will be painful in the short term, but in the long term if the party of Lincoln can once again become the fucking party of Lincoln, it'd probably be for the better of the country.

I'll still be a liberal myself, but yeah, lets drop anything that is proven not to work. Lets drop all the social nonsense. Then you'd see a lot more *average* Americans ready to vote for them.

Appealing to 'fuck you I've got mine' types and far right evangelicals and racist bigots and homophobic bigots put them where they are right now. However long they can hold onto the house with their current base, they need to quit that shit.

This election cycle, with arch demon Clinton running, they could have gotten a lot of those kinds of voters to hold their noses and pick someone who isn't socially conservative and who was a more classical republican... if not for the primaries being what they are. Fully open them up, or do away with them, until they can get someone electable in place.

This was the party of "If it doesn't pick my pocket or break my leg..." it can be that again.

It's up to them. But something tells me they will continue on the same road for at least another four years. Taking solace from mid terms... refusing to cut out the cancer.

pigeon

Banned
nyt said:
Speaking in private to a group of donors last week at a political conference in Colorado sponsored by the industrialists Charles G. and David H. Koch, Mr. Ryan expressed concerns that the House was increasingly at risk, according to a Republican who was present for the conversation.

Mr. Ryan implored the donors not to assume that the House was impregnable and not to entirely focus their efforts on retaining the Senate.

Just Trump things.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/0..._r=1&referer=&referer=https://t.co/fqU3ITd5OE

Tier 1

Donnelly (IN)
McCaskill (MO)
Tester (MT)
Heitkamp (ND)
Manchin (WV)

Tier 2

Nelson (FL)
Brown (OH)
Casey (PA)
Kaine* (VA)
Baldwin (WI)