• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Welp, I just had a rather depressing discussion with a cousin of mine.

Said cousin of mine is older than me (37) and has been a reliable democrat for all his life. But this election might be the first time he won't cast the ballot on the D side. While he says he's no fan of Donald Trump, he hates Hillary. Of course, he wanted to reassure me that he's not going to vote for Trump, and would instead probably go for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson. He then went on a 20 minute long spiel about why a Trump presidency wouldn't really be all that bad. Most surprising however was his disillusionment with Obama, mainly due to his (in his opinion) "disastrous" foreign policy, mostly due to his lack of intervention in Syria.

Normally we talk politics quite a bit, but this was the first time I tried to steer the conversation to anything else. Le sigh. :/

@andrewsweiss
Pic of @DrJillStein at dinner w Putin, @realDonaldTrump pal Gen Mike Flynn in Moscow in Dec 2015 at RT anniv party

CpMxzEiWAAA7aBK.jpg

coolcoolcool

Putin is really going to take over the US from the inside isn't he? He has Stein pulling votes from the left and Trump turning the GOP into the pro-Russia party. Fucking hell.

Gotchaye

Welp, I just had a rather depressing discussion with a cousin of mine.

Said cousin of mine is older than me (37) and has been a reliable democrat for all his life. But this election might be the first time he won't cast the ballot on the D side. While he says he's no fan of Donald Trump, he hates Hillary. Of course, he wanted to reassure me that he's not going to vote for Trump, and would instead probably go for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson. He then went on a 20 minute long spiel about why a Trump presidency wouldn't really be all that bad. Most surprising however was his disillusionment with Obama, mainly due to his (in his opinion) "disastrous" foreign policy, mostly due to his lack of intervention in Syria.

Normally we talk politics quite a bit, but this was the first time I tried to steer the conversation to anything else. Le sigh. :/

That's weird to me because it seems like Clinton should be an easy sell if you generally like Obama but think he wasn't hawkish enough.

Bowdz

Nah bro don't worry about, Trump's totally not influenced by Putin. Путин очень хороший человек , что я вам скажу.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's weird to me because it seems like Clinton should be an easy sell if you generally like Obama but think he wasn't hawkish enough.

That's what I would assume. Clinton is generally further left than Obama on everything save foreign policy, where she's a bit more willing to use (or threaten to use) force than he is.

Valhelm

contribute something

Yikes, what the fuck was she doing there?

For some reason the far left in the US loves RT.

Not really. It's popular among some left-liberals and Maoists who believe American media has a Western bias, but most Americans who follow RT tend to be far-right nationalists who think Russia is morally superior to the US. Breitbart cites them pretty frequently.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Yeah, there was a lot of contradictory arguments swirling about during that convo. Was almost like talking to a Tea Partier.

Assange said yesterday in a facetime on some program in response to a question about trump tax returns that he is working on hacking trump's tax return.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72VOLtPv6g

He may be joking about it, but this may scare trump into releasing his tax returns sooner.
Saw a segment on that on CNN earlier and they mentioned how on WikiLeaks Twitter they clarified that he was indeed joking and how WikiLeaks is just a site that posts leaked stuff and doesn't actively work to hack anything themselves:
https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/761937233356128256

Not expecting anything, personally. Assange clearly doesn't really give a fuck either way and can't be bothered with something like that, and Trump is never going to release them willingly because he doesn't want the slightest semblance of there being concrete numbers over his head.

mo60

Saw a segment on that on CNN earlier and they mentioned how on WikiLeaks Twitter they clarified that he was indeed joking and how WikiLeaks is just a site that posts leaked stuff and doesn't actively work to hack anything themselves:
https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/761937233356128256

Not expecting anything, personally. Assange clearly doesn't really give a fuck either way and can't be bothered with something like that, and Trump is never going to release them willingly because he doesn't want the slightest semblance of there being concrete numbers over his head.

I don't expect trump's tax returns to be released anytime soon anyway because no one is really forcing him to release his tax returns besides talking about how he has yet to release his tax returns.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wouldn't the far left and far right both love Putin? Not sure why but I'm guessing they would just because the far left is fucking trash.

Wouldn't the far left and far right both love Putin? Not sure why but I'm guessing they would just because the far left is fucking trash.

Putin would also love them because they have a destabilizing effect.

Jill Stein's problem is that she wants to be taken seriously as a candidate, which requires us to examine her candidacy with the scrutiny of a real campaign.

NeoXChaos

it begins.

Alex Burns ‏@alexburnsNYT 6h6 hours ago
NEWS: GOP concludes Trump a fatal disaster; super PACs plan ads + turnout efforts to save Senate/House

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/us/politics/donald-trump-gop.html?_r=0&referer=

What stops Republicans from disavowing Mr. Trump en masse is that they fear alienating his voters, who may be crucial to the party’s efforts to retain its congressional majorities. In an era in which fewer voters split their tickets, it is important to Republican leaders that Mr. Trump at least run competitively with Mrs. Clinton to avert a down-ballot wipeout.

“Do we run the risk of depressing our base by repudiating the guy, or do we run the risk of being tarred and feathered by independents for not repudiating him?” asked Glen Bolger, a Republican pollster working on many of this year’s races. “We’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t.”

I have a working theory that the political spectrum is actually a circle, not a line. Anti-semitism is where the snake eats its tail.

Yikes, what the fuck was she doing there?

Not really. It's popular among some left-liberals and Maoists who believe American media has a Western bias, but most Americans who follow RT tend to be far-right nationalists who think Russia is morally superior to the US. Breitbart cites them pretty frequently.

Left or Right, those in the West who follow RT are those who criticize Western "Imperialism" but give Russia a free pass.

I know an Armenian-Canadian who is in love with Putin and sides with Russia on all USA v Russia issues.

on the Left, I know a Berniebro who watches RT to get a "outside point of view"

Do they have internals that are worse than anything we've even seen?

Oh, I'm sure they do. I'm sure Trump is running his own, but so are most Senate candidates. With the party handling his GOTV, the campaign is either sharing internals with them or they're running their own. (I'd assume...)

Y2Kev

Do they need them? If the race firms up at 4 points or so it's a lost cause on the presidential level and there aren't really any wild cards left that would make you think Trump could make up 4 points with absolutely no GOTV operation.

I guess it's possible Hillary bombs the debates. She'll draw at best if she can't answer the stupid emails question better.

Do they need them? If the race firms up at 4 points or so it's a lost cause on the presidential level and there aren't really any wild cards left that would make you think Trump could make up 4 points with absolutely no GOTV operation.

I guess it's possible Hillary bombs the debates. She'll draw at best if she can't answer the stupid emails question better.

Like she bombed BEN GHAZI?
Amirite?

teiresias

Which gets more play the day after, Clinton with another unsatisfactory or far too verbose email answer, or Trump snapping and calling her a b#%h?

I'm hoping it firms up no closer than 6 points frankly.

Mecha

"I don't like something so they must like Putin", nice. It isn't rare for far-leftists to get arrested in Russia for anti-Putin and anti-kremlin activities, but hey lets ignore all of that for some baseless accusations.

There are some "anti-west" tankies that support Putin for being against the US, but that's the only minority in the far-left that has any support for Russia.

I have a working theory that the political spectrum is actually a circle, not a line. Anti-semitism is where the snake eats its tail.

Making the political spectrum a line is too simplistic.

The Hillary magnet in that fucking orange color that has her picture on it with the caption "I believe in science." is just fucking awful. Whoever designed it should feel bad. Anyone who votes for it should feel bad. Because you're bad.

Y2Kev

"I don't like something so they must like Putin", nice. It isn't rare for far-leftists to get arrested in Russia for anti-Putin and anti-kremlin activities, but hey lets ignore all of that for some baseless accusations.

There are some "anti-west" tankies that support Putin for being against the US, but that's the only minority in the far-left that has any support for Russia.

Making the political spectrum a line is too simplistic.

I'm confused. So does the American far left like or dislike Putin? Sounds like there is a definite pro-Putin sentiment in the far left from your post! I mean Dr. Stein seems to be a fan.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd imagine its a small cross section of wildly anti Americans who see Russia as a natural check, actual policies be damned and some good old fashioned Communist sympathizers who missed the forest for the trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom