• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Clinton could not get the attention Trump did via national media via running these types of rallies. Her demographics don't match. Cable News is the new AM Radio, they're after old people using old media.

Her visits wouldn't have helped on the ground - any candidate not spouting populist trash wasn't getting that kind of reaction at local events from angry ignorant people. The problem is that we assumed a competent GOTV apparatus still existed- it did not. She needed to turn out her core voters in Urban/Suburban areas and it wasn't happening. You have to herd the damn cats.

It is hilariously awful to think that Clinton trying to hold these types of rallies would have helped.

UberTag

watch this short clip of colbert's show from last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYWa1ahbQRg

wait for the zinger at the end
(politely claps) I feel like those guys in the SNL threads who complain about how unfunny it is whenever I've watched Colbert in the last month. Stewart's been especially bad in his guest spots, too... and I used to love watching The Daily Show. Not sure if there's something wrong with me or... more likely... I'm just not keen on the writing staff currently trotting out his material because none of it feels especially creative.

Pixieking

Banned
Morning Joe is having a meltdown over the media's "rush to tweet"

Seriously...

Same Joe who wrote this a couple of days ago?

As the White House improves its internal decision-making process, West Wing staffers would do the country and world a great service if it could somehow apply a similar discipline to the president’s Twitter feed.

Make up your mind, mate.

I'm not sure what you mean. Is he arguing that the media should cover Trump's tweets less?

He was talking about a Federalist article with "fake news" from media outlets/journalists on twitter (MLK bust, State Department resignations...) and how much it was shared, and media needed to be accurate.

Went on a bit of rant trying to establish an equivalence between the press and what the WH does, but it's Morning Joe....

Crocodile

Err reporting a story, getting something wrong, and then later posting a correction/retraction isn't "fake news" though. That's human error. I feel like some people are being deliberately obtuse when it comes to "fake news". Like the term has a very clear definition. I guess it helps the Trumpeters defang the term is the continuously misuse it?

chadskin

Good morning.

@realDonaldTrump
I don't know Putin, have no deals in Russia, and the haters are going crazy - yet Obama can make a deal with Iran, #1in terror, no problem!

UberTag

Good morning.

@realDonaldTrump
I don't know Putin, have no deals in Russia, and the haters are going crazy - yet Obama can make a deal with Iran, #1in terror, no problem!
It's crazy to me to watch the guys on MSNBC react to this tweet in real-time as soon as it goes out.

Crocodile

Good morning.

@realDonaldTrump

I love how every part of this is either unverifiable (Trumps deals with Russia), a non-sequiter (Iran deal) or flat out wrong (Iran is #1 in terror - whatever that means) LOL

It's crazy to me to watch the guys on MSNBC react to this tweet in real-time as soon as it goes out.

Plz tell me they called it out for the bullshit it was right?

Clinton could not get the attention Trump did via national media via running these types of rallies. Her demographics don't match. Cable News is the new AM Radio, they're after old people using old media.

Her visits wouldn't have helped on the ground - any candidate not spouting populist trash wasn't getting that kind of reaction at local events from angry ignorant people. The problem is that we assumed a competent GOTV apparatus still existed- it did not. She needed to turn out her core voters in Urban/Suburban areas and it wasn't happening. You have to herd the damn cats.

It is hilariously awful to think that Clinton trying to hold these types of rallies would have helped.

what does a competent gotv even mean? what do you think they could've done better? they didn't have a great product to sell...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kanye-w...-deleted/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab8d&linkId=34206852

Kanye West has had a change of heart about Donald Trump, if his handling of his Twitter account is any indication.

West apparently deleted all of his tweets in support of the president late Sunday night or early Monday morning.

Ugh

kanye-gayfish-425x310.jpg

I received this in an e-mail this morning, and I don't know why.
What the fuck is this shit, Tom? I'm pro-choice. I want Planned Parenthood to keep their funding. How did my messages not reflect that?

And what do you mean, "as always?"

Diablos

Morning Joe seems to be a very confused man. Or he just says what he wants depending on the day. Not sure. Maybe he's just moody.

Chumley

Banned
Morning Joe seems to be a very confused man. Or he just says what he wants depending on the day. Not sure. Maybe he's just moody.

It's just sad the mental gymnastics those two frauds go through every day to defend Trump and discredit reporting that contradicts him.

Like on the Bannon thing they're just screaming "THE PRESS IS ALL WRONG!!!".

Pixieking

Banned
I received this in an e-mail this morning, and I don't know why.

What the fuck is this shit, Tom? I'm pro-choice. I want Planned Parenthood to keep their funding. How did my messages not reflect that?

And what do you mean, "as always?"

Reply and ask what the hell he meant, because that's obviously a generic reply that they've got on-hand for when a pro-life person emails.

kirblar

what does a competent gotv even mean? what do you think they could've done better? they didn't have a great product to sell...
The gruntwork of building state/local infrastructure to contact people and push them out to the polls that they didn't do and that the DNC hadn't done for 8 years.

The drudgework wins. You are not always going to have charisma/excitement on your side. Obama was a prodigy who could coast. I had a local Rep race lost by under 300 votes, and I can tell you that their campaign sucked, had less money, etc., because I could tell by the lack of ads I was getting relative to her opponent AND the complete lack of signage at the election site.

Joe wants Trump puppetteered by establishment Rs, like the rest of them.

It's just sad the mental gymnastics those two frauds go through every day to defend Trump and discredit reporting that contradicts him.

Like on the Bannon thing they're just screaming "THE PRESS IS ALL WRONG!!!".

That was the first thing out of his mouth today, almost like someone wanted him to say it...

Why do you all continue to watch Joe and Mika? They are garbage.

Honestly, I stopped watching after the election, and turned to sports to try and divert my attention away from some of Trumps bullshit. With that said, the verbal fellating of Tom Brady and the Patriots has been little much the last 48 hours, so I tuned in out of an old habit.

The gruntwork of building state/local infrastructure to contact people and push them out to the polls that they didn't do and that the DNC hadn't done for 8 years.

The drudgework wins. You are not always going to have charisma/excitement on your side. Obama was a prodigy who could coast. I had a local Rep race lost by under 300 votes, and I can tell you that their campaign sucked, had less money, etc., because I could tell by the lack of ads I was getting relative to her opponent AND the complete lack of signage at the election site.

Part of the problem is the left skews younger who don't give two flying shits about anything downballot.

I have a friend who was a huge Sanders supporter and loves TYT and such. Mentioned to him I saw Keith Ellison at a rally. He didn't know who that was.

We live in Keith's district.

Like bruh you're going to lecture people about the revolution and you don't even know who your fucking representative is?

Chumley

Banned
Why do you all continue to watch Joe and Mika? They are garbage.

Because I'm an idiot. At least Jon Favreau shares my horrible shame.

And sometimes when Scarborough decides to free himself of the shackles of Trump he can deliver true verbal beatdowns.

Wilsongt

In a lawsuit filed today, First Lady Melania Trump revealed her intention to leverage the presidency to ink new “licensing, branding, and endorsement” deals worth many millions of dollars. In the filing, Melania Trump’s lawyer described the position of First Lady as a “once-in-a-lifetime” money making opportunity. She told the court she intended to pursue deals in “apparel, accessories, shoes, jewelry, cosmetics, hair care, skin care, and fragrance.”

All about that Trump brand. I hope this presidency ruins the Trump name for good, especially when he ends up getting millions of people killed.

Chumley

Banned
all people protesting trump are possessed by demons
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/jim-bakker-trump-protesters-are-demon-possessed/

trump hotel is like heaven
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/bakker-trump-hotel-looked-like-heaven/

facepalm-inducing video included

I have a family member that truly believes this and has been harassing my sister about it lately (she's been vocal on social media about the protests she's been going to). She thinks those pink "pussy hats" were made to look like devil horns and the women's march was actually a large pro-satan march or something.

Gotta love having Southern Baptists in the family.

numble

You will never get such an apparatus. That is something done by volunteers. I worked for OFA in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Nevada and the ratio of volunteers to paid staffers was something like 30-50 to 1. And the number of volunteers always grew after campaign events. Nobody wants to do the drudge work for peanut wages and 40 people volunteering for 2 hours is twice as effective as 1 paid staffer working a whole week. Most people will only volunteer for a political operation if they are motivated (and most of the studies show that one thing that visits do help with is motivating and mobilizing volunteers).

Schwarzenegger says of Trump that he wanted to "smash his face into a table"

Before the show started, Schwarzenegger said that he wouldn’t vote for Mr. Trump. The president remembered and he later criticized his successor for lower show ratings and his job as governor.

“I called my assistant and said, ‘I think what we really should do is request a meeting and go back to New York,’” Schwarzenegger said. “And then we just smash his face into the table.”

I think after this election ground game is a pretty overrated concept. The only group with a noticeable drop in turnout came from younger minorities and I'm pretty sure that having an extra paid staffer to ask them to vote isn't going to make them be like "Oh I'll vote for the superpredators lady".

Part of the problem is the left skews younger who don't give two flying shits about anything downballot.

I have a friend who was a huge Sanders supporter and loves TYT and such. Mentioned to him I saw Keith Ellison at a rally. He didn't know who that was.

We live in Keith's district.

Like bruh you're going to lecture people about the revolution and you don't even know who your fucking representative is?
This is something Ellison has talked about in interviews about running for the DNC chair that as the Democratic base becomes more activist in the wake of Trump, Democrats should try to keep them engaged at the local level and get to know the other figures in the party and the other Democrats in the area by running year-round events to get keep connected and engaged. He said he already tries to do that so I'm not sure how much an anomaly your friend is in the district, ha.

Democrats would benefit from getting people involved locally, though, for sure.

Slacker

If I live to be 500 I doubt I'll ever see another situation like this DeVos conformation where there is overwhelming bipartisan rejection of her by the voters and their representatives couldn't give less of a rat's ass. Every GOP facebook page is a river of flame right now - like 95% against her confirmation. I guess the facebook "ding" notifying them of a new post is drowned out by the champagne glasses clinking together in the room. Really just amazing.

Wilsongt

If I live to be 500 I doubt I'll ever see another situation like this DeVos conformation where there is overwhelming bipartisan rejection of her by the voters and their representatives couldn't give less of a rat's ass. Every GOP facebook page is a river of flame right now - like 95% against her confirmation. I guess the facebook "ding" notifying them of a new post is drowned out by the champagne glasses clinking together in the room. Really just amazing.

GOP cares nothing about people outside of their rich circle of lobbyist, think tanks, and ALEC. If they did , they wouldn't be trying to fuck over half their base with medicaid/social security/medicare cuts, destroying public education, etc.

But as long as they keep one baby from being aborted, keep the filthy arabs and mexicans out, keep the blacks in the ghettos, and keep that Christian* faith, they voters keep coming back for more. Pure Stockholm Syndrome.

This is something Ellison has talked about in interviews about running for the DNC chair that as the Democratic base becomes more activist in the wake of Trump, Democrats should try to keep them engaged at the local level and get to know the other figures in the party and the other Democrats in the area by running year-round events to get keep connected and engaged. He said he already tries to do that so I'm not sure how much an anomaly your friend is in the district, ha.

Democrats would benefit from getting people involved locally, though, for sure.
Yeah, it's just like... You can't make people care, or want to get involved, or educate themselves. Who would disagree with Ellison saying we need to engage with more voters? Clinton? Obama? Sanders?

Who's just going to be like "Yeah, nah, we can blow this one off"?

Yeah, it's just like... You can't make people care, or want to get involved, or educate themselves. Who would disagree with Ellison saying we need to engage with more voters? Clinton? Obama? Sanders?

Who's just going to be like "Yeah, nah, we can blow this one off"?
Well I think the idea was that people need to be involved year-round instead of just around election times. Have Democratic meetups in the area, run events with the congressman, etc. That doesn't engage everyone, but I think the effect trickles down, y'know?

Well I think the idea was that people need to be involved year-round instead of just around election times. Have Democratic meetups in the area, run events with the congressman, etc. That doesn't engage everyone, but I think the effect trickles down, y'know?
Sure, there are definitely ways to increase participation, I think you just hit a wall pretty quickly no matter what you do. Nothing in our education system or culture inspires anyone to give two shits, in fact people who do care are often openly mocked for it.

It's sort of like Sanders laying out his master plan for winning a general election - "have an open dialogue" and "increase turnout." Great plan, genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom