• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whaaaaaaaa?
Dumbass saved by being in a safe Republican seat (can't even blame gerrymandering for this)

I wonder how effective of a strategy it might be to start ratfucking GOP primaries in safe R districts with the goal of pulling the Republican Party to the left/center. Midterm primaries are such low turnout affairs usually that it might not take that many crossover votes to swing it.

sphagnum

Banned
God we've got the worst fucking President.

13h2C.jpg

"I've got the worst fucking president."

My favorite tweet of the evening:

--------

Charles Finch ‏@CharlesFinch

{loses in checkers} SEE YOU IN CHECKERS
In a brave attempt to save face, Trump invoked the traditional playground "Best 2 out of 3" rule, apparently unaware he'd already lost twice.

lol, Chaffetz couldn't handle ONE TOWN HALL and Hillary could do a whole fucking Benghazi hearing.
You know how everyone says Trump is a master of projection? It's not just him, it's the whole GOP.

GOP: "Hillary doesn't have the stamina to be president"
Q: "Why do you want to take health insurance away from 20 million people?"
GOP: "HELP I'M BEING OPPRESSED"

People who thought the Trump admin was competent enough to pull off a false flag should be heartened by the fact that Trump's main military adviser committed criminal actions on a phone that any dummy would know was tapped.

People who thought the Trump admin was competent enough to pull off a false flag should be heartened by the fact that Trump's main military adviser committed criminal actions on a phone that any dummy would know was tapped.
If they tried it, there would be leaked audio of Trump personally directing the attack within 24 hours.

As in 24 hours before it happened.

Mirand

I hope everyone remembers that Trump ruins everything he touches. This administration is going to be in flames pronto

Pixieking

Banned
Wary of just flinging links up, but...

Republicans in Idaho tried to design a better plan than Obamacare — and failed

Here in Idaho, Gov. C.L. ”Butch" Otter, a Republican, vowed to come up with a replacement after declining to fully embrace the Medicaid expansion that was offered as part of the Affordable Care Act. He's tried to persuade his heavily Republican legislature to set aside their hands-off views about the government on this issue. Studies have been conducted. Proposals have been put forward. But after four years, lawmakers have come up with no alternative.

But the state government, suspicious of Washington intervention, rejected the federally financed expansion. That decision created a gap among the working poor who made too much to be in the traditional Medicaid population and too little to purchase their own health insurance. A state-commissioned report found that as many as 78,000 — nearly 5 percent of Idaho's population — fell into this uninsured in-between.
Conservative Republicans battled moderates, too. They were unsure about doing anything that could make Obamacare look like a success.
Partisan-fucking-politics-kills.

Anyways... don't want to cut-and-paste the whole lot, but, with an eye to what the GOP are wanting to do with Repeal, it's all worth reading.

Wary of just flinging links up, but...

Republicans in Idaho tried to design a better plan than Obamacare — and failed

Partisan-fucking-politics-kills.

Anyways... don't want to cut-and-paste the whole lot, but, with an eye to what the GOP are wanting to do with Repeal, it's all worth reading.
My state senator was basically the state's biggest champion for the Medicaid expansion and it was one of the three central tenets we ran on along with public school funding and opposing public lands privatization.

He fucking lost by 300 votes in November. I'm still mad.

“To be honest, there’s not any real discussion taking place right now,” Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) told reporters Tuesday at the Capitol. Corker, according to the Huffington Post, said he has “no idea” when Republicans might start drafting an alternative to Obamacare, adding, “I don’t see any congealing around ideas yet.”

The GOP has fucking nothing beyond white nationalism.

Who would have thought that Trump was the only idea guy in the Republican party?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ml?tid=pm_opinions_pop&utm_term=.9ca1705138a7

My state senator was basically the state's biggest champion for the Medicaid expansion and it was one of the three central tenets we ran on along with public school funding and opposing public lands privatization.

He fucking lost by 300 votes in November. I'm still mad.
That sucks, man. What state are you in again?

A DFL state senator in MN (Terri Bonoff) ran for Congress against Erik Paulsen and lost horribly in a district Clinton won by 9 points. Rough night, but even worse - the Republicans picked up her State Senate seat by fucking .4 percent. They now have a 34-33 edge in the State Senate in addition to holding the State House.

Pixieking

Banned
The GOP has fucking nothing beyond white nationalism.

Who would have thought that Trump was the only idea guy in the Republican party?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ml?tid=pm_opinions_pop&utm_term=.9ca1705138a7

Is it possible to lose more respect for Republicans? I mean, it's one thing to be gutless in the face of the President - even if Trump is a child, respect for the office could be fairly high. But these people are so scared of doing anything other than just whining about the Democrats and Obama. They're all children, just Trump is the loudest of the lot.

That sucks, man. What state are you in again?

A DFL state senator in MN (Terri Bonoff) ran for Congress against Erik Paulsen and lost horribly in a district Clinton won by 9 points. Rough night, but even worse - the Republicans picked up her State Senate seat by fucking .4 percent. They now have a 34-33 edge in the State Senate in addition to holding the State House.
Idaho, hence the article. I ended talking to a lot of people about the Medicaid gap over the months of the campaign. In the end we just fell short. At least one of our state reps made it through, but it doesn't matter when you have 11/70 seats lol. It's the swingiest district in the state because we have the liberal college town but it's not a large enough population on its own so it has super rural tiny towns to pad it out.

I hope you can take back your state legislature, ours is gone, we might have the least Democratic state legislature in the country. It's either us, Wyoming, or Utah.

Sibylus

Banned
By the time comes to raze Carthage to the ground, they will have provided several cities-worth of salt for the ground ahead of time.

Pixieking

Banned
52-48.

How is there not even one Republican who is against insider trading? lol, what fuckups.

More ammunition for the Dems, at least - rally the WWC against the people who voted for someone who got rich committing fraud, and point-out if they had committed Price's crimes, they'd go to prison.

More ammunition for the Dems, at least - rally the WWC against the people who voted for someone who got rich committing fraud, and point-out if they had committed Price's crimes, they'd go to prison.

Yeah this is where I am at. Let Trump make them make so many unforced errors with a huge veil of corruption and illegality surrounding it. Sure they may get the keys to the kingdom for a couple years, but the political capital that are going to spend to enrich themselves will take them down in the long run.

There isn't projected to be another cold day for the rest of the winter and today was 60 fucking degrees.

It's a week into February.

We're in Utah.

Climate change :/

Dad.

Yeah this is where I am at. Let Trump make them make so many unforced errors with a huge veil of corruption and illegality surrounding it. Sure they may get the keys to the kingdom for a couple years, but the political capital that are going to spend to enrich themselves will take them down in the long run.

Yeah that's what I thought would happen with GW Bush. It lasted only a a midterm and Obama's elections. Even though Bush did way worse things than Obama and handed him the great recession, people forget.

Yeah that's what I thought would happen with GW Bush. It lasted only a a midterm and Obama's elections. Even though Bush did way worse things than Obama and handed him the great recession, people forget.
To be fair, that probably had a lot more to do with it being a midterm election.

Midterms are usually bad for the White House incumbent party because the out party's base is hot and bothered and this is the most obvious way to hit back, while much of the incumbent party's marginal base is either complacent, disappointed, or ignorant of what's at stake. Breaking the tie are independents who are often just unhappy with whoever's in charge, and the presidency is the most visible.

If voters betrayed Obama, it wasn't in 2012 - we net gained Senate seats in a very difficult year, Obama won comfortably (NC was the only state contested by either party that he lost), and if not for gerrymandering we probably would have won the House majority too.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to lose more respect for Republicans? I mean, it's one thing to be gutless in the face of the President - even if Trump is a child, respect for the office could be fairly high. But these people are so scared of doing anything other than just whining about the Democrats and Obama. They're all children, just Trump is the loudest of the lot.
Trump is the best children.

All the political capital from a honeymoon period has already been wasted, and just for some shitty cabinet picks. What even happens now? Trump has had no legislative proposals that I can remember. Taxes seem stalled. Obamacare seems stalled. He's obviously slowed the pace of EOs to lower the continuous public outrage. Congress will write up its own agenda and won't turn to Trump for anything, because, well, he wouldn't have anything to offer even if they asked.

sazzy

Morning Joe says WH is working on a new, revised, narrower EO regarding immigration. Expect to hear about it on Monday.

UberTag

Morning Joe says WH is working on a new, revised, narrower EO regarding immigration. Expect to hear about it on Monday.
Back to the drawing board then. Wonder if they'll include some actual countries that have committed terrorist acts on US soil in this one. Probably not, eh?

I'm watching 13th (absolutely great doco) and was really surprised to see Newt Gingrich featured actually defending black people. Is their some precedent to conservatives changing their tune for differing audiences or does Gingrich actually have a backbone.

Only Trump could be vain enough to look at all the shit Obama, Bush, Clinton, Reagan etc. went through on a daily basis and think "OH GEE I COULD DO THAT"

I think to a degree anyone who runs for president has to have an overly high opinion of themselves (how else would you think you're equipped to run the U.S.?) but they all came into office with serious respect and expectations. Trump farted his way into power without ever thinking of what he was in for.

Sort of like how personally he takes it that he hasn't received universal love and adoration, which he thinks he deserves because he's POTUS. Even though his career was jumpstarted by shitting on the previous POTUS.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Absolutely the correct route to take, and Democrats have been terrible about emphasizing this. Time to utilize it to full effect.

You would be stunned at how many WWC rural voters I talk to that believe you can run government like a business.

chadskin

@realDonaldTrump:
LAWFARE: "Remarkably, in the entire opinion, the panel did not bother even to cite this (the) statute." A disgraceful decision!

The same Lawfare blog post also says:
The Ninth Circuit is correct to leave the TRO in place, in my view, for the simple reason that there is no cause to plunge the country into turmoil again while the courts address the merits of these matters over the next few weeks.
https://lawfareblog.com/how-read-and-how-not-read-todays-9th-circuit-opinion

-----

Ahhh, it was on Morning Joe!

C4To51QWEAQ2KKF.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Absolutely the correct route to take, and Democrats have been terrible about emphasizing this. Time to utilize it to full effect.

You would be stunned at how many WWC rural voters I talk to that believe you can run government like a business.
Wwc voters simultaneously worship and distrust the moneyed elite. It's annoying. Pick one already.

chadskin

can you explain this? I have no idea what the issue is.

The Trump camp says they have the authority to enact the travel ban via the EO, based on this statute:
(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.

... and Benjamin Wittes of Lawfare said the court didn't discuss this statute at all in their reasoning for upholding the TRO.

numble

can you explain this? I have no idea what the issue is.

The executive order is based on this law, specifically this section:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1182
8 U.S. Code § 1182 - Inadmissible aliens
(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.

Lawfare is remarking on how the 9th Circuit does not cite the law in its opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom