• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would be stunned at how many WWC rural voters I talk to that believe you can run government like a business.

Everyone who doesn't work with the government believes this. My office is probably 70% liberal but everyone thinks that we could save billions by replacing the DMV (an argument I've actually had) with an app or something.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
The Trump camp says they have the authority to enact the travel ban via the EO, based on this statute:

... and Benjamin Wittes of Lawfare said the court didn't discuss this statute at all in their reasoning for upholding the TRO.

Of course they don't mention *why* the court did not cite the statute - which is that counsel for the White House did not raise the statute in argument before the court.

Of course they don't mention *why* the court did not cite the statute - which is that counsel for the White House did not raise the statute in argument before the court.

It's not the court's job to do the state's research!

This is easily going to be the most incompetent administration we've had in decades, if not ever.

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

The failing @nytimes does major FAKE NEWS China story saying "Mr.Xi has not spoken to Mr. Trump since Nov.14." We spoke at length yesterday!
8:35 AM · Feb 10, 2017

You idiot.

Slacker

Guys, I'm starting to think electing a reality TV star with no experience try out this whole government thing as leader of the free world wasn't a good idea.

AntraxSuicide said:
This is easily going to be the most incompetent administration we've had in decades, if not ever.
I'd wager that every single person who watched an episode of "The West Wing" on TV is better prepared to be president than the Big Orange Baby.

numble

Incorrect. Their briefs, which are their main arguments before the court, cite the statute constantly:
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/general/2017/02/06/17-35105 reply in support of stay.pdf

Congress has granted the President broad discretion under 8 U.S.C.
§ 1182(f) to suspend the entry of ”any class of aliens" into the United States,

The State does not address the text of § 1182(f), or the extensive caselaw relating to the exclusion of aliens from the United States. And although the State suggests (Response 23) that it is somehow impermissible for the President to rely on § 1182(f) ”to impose a categorical ban on admission," the statute's broad grant of authority to suspend the entry ”of any class of aliens," ”for such period as [the President] shall deem necessary," whenever the President finds that it would be ”detrimental to the interests of the United States," clearly authorizes the categorical, temporary suspension the President has adopted here.

Furthermore, even if it applied, § 1152(a)(1)(A) would not restrict § 1182(f)'s broad grant of discretionary authority.

Here, § 1152(a)(1)(A) establishes a general rule governing the issuance of immigrant visas, whereas § 1182(f) governs the specific instance in which the President determines that entry of a ”class of aliens" would be ”detrimental to the interests of the United States."

And at oral argument the court did discuss the interplay between 1152 and 1182.

It's not counsel of the White House that makes arguments by the way, its career lawyers from the DOJ. August Flentje, who argued the case, entered the DOJ 16 years ago.

The failing @nytimes does major FAKE NEWS China story saying "Mr.Xi has not spoken to Mr. Trump since Nov.14." We spoke at length yesterday!

You idiot.

Shocked not shocked. Reading comprehension below a 3rd grader.

Gruco

Banned
Wwc voters simultaneously worship and distrust the moneyed elite. It's annoying. Pick one already.
They hate doctors, lawyers, professors, and all the other nerds. They love business owners. Something about imagining themselves there and respect for the path.

Or at least that's what all the December thinkpieces told me.

@realDonaldTrump:
LAWFARE: "Remarkably, in the entire opinion, the panel did not bother even to cite this (the) statute." A disgraceful decision!

The same Lawfare blog post also says:

https://lawfareblog.com/how-read-and-how-not-read-todays-9th-circuit-opinion

-----

Ahhh, it was on Morning Joe!

C4To51QWEAQ2KKF.jpg

I'm not at all surprised that Trump didn't read the entire article. Maybe Samantha Bee was right all along!

You idiot.

It keeps getting worse. How is it possible that it keeps getting worse?

Jacce

Banned
I was reading that Bernie thread. Democrats are going to lose badly in 2018/2020 aren't they? Seems like most Bernie voters are still "I hate the DNC and won't support them or their candidates" mode.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Mr.Shrugglesツ;230072158 said:
This cannot be real.
It's real. I checked. I am going pretend he is willfully misrepresenting this, rather than he has zero reading comprehension, so I can continue to pretend we got took by a mastermind and not an idiot.

Wilsongt

I was reading that Bernie thread. Democrats are going to lose badly in 2018/2020 aren't they? Seems like most Bernie voters are still "I hate the DNC and won't support them or their candidates" mode.

Democrats need the antithesis of Trump. Bernie Sanders, Nina Turner and Tulsi Gabbard are the antithesis of Trump. Furthermore, each of these progressive icons epitomizes an end to failed U.S. foreign policy quagmires, breaking up Too Big to Fail Banks, and other progressive policy ideals. In addition, both Nina Turner and Tulsi Gabbard broke ties with the DNC to support Bernie Sanders; something Elizabeth Warren failed to emulate.

If the ultra left tries to co-op the party, then yes. The Democrats are fucked.

New PPP poll out. 43% approval 53% disapproval. Also a 46/46 split on whether or not Trump should be impeached.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/m...ing-trump.html

In another note it was unclear last week whether Donald Trump really knew who Frederick Douglass was, and it turns out that puts him in pretty good alignment with his party base. Only 47% of Trump voters know that Frederick Douglass is dead, compared to 78% of Clinton voters who know that. Even though they evidently need it, Trump voters aren't very excited about Black History Month. Only 45% of them have a favorable opinion of it, to 35% with a negative one. By contrast it's 81/9 for Clinton voters. And in yet another measure of the terrible economic anxiety gripping Trump voters though, 46% of them think there should be a White History Month to 36% opposed to that concept. They may not get far with that though, since only 28% of voters overall are in favor of such a thing to 58% opposed.

That economic anxiety barb. Whew.

Holmes

Yeah, Gallup's been hovering around -10% too, so I'd say that's where his approval rating's at right now. -10 three weeks in, that's ominous.

Blader

So which Dem voted for Price? Or was it two Dems (not sure if Sessions' replacement has taken office yet)?

edit: wait a minute, from Politico:

The seven-term congressman maintained full Republican support throughout the process, ensuring his path to HHS secretary was never in real danger. No Democrats voted for him.

So does that mean Sessions' replacement did vote, and one Dem abstained?

That would be really unprecedented given the usual trends of midterms, especially with a GOP that's not really doing anything, and a controversial and unpopular president.

There's way more forces at work here than Bernie voters throwing temper tantrums.

greatgeek

Banned
Washington's constitutional claim should trump the government' statutory claim, so I don't think the court was obligated to discuss the statutory claim so long as it was likely that Washington would succeed on the merits of its constitutional claim.

I can't believe we're still in the first month. This has felt like years and public opinion is already so low. Even if they stopped completely fucking up, I can't see Trump as being anything other than a lame duck for the rest of his term.

Hindl

One benefit I see is that if Trump didn't even realize the other branches of government could be a check on his power, I'm not sure there's a master plan to make an autocracy. He'll probably roll out a few EOs and bills to try and give him that, but it'll probably be so sloppy that it won't get off the ground

sangreal

So which Dem voted for Price? Or was it two Dems (not sure if Sessions' replacement has taken office yet)?

edit: wait a minute, from Politico:

So does that mean Sessions' replacement did vote, and one Dem abstained?

sessions' replacement did vote

YEAs ---52
Strange (R-AL)

FyreWulff

You almost want to hope Trump is viewed as weak enough that some moderate upstart primaries him.

Wilsongt

Two years is quite a while, 4 years is even longer. Optics will change post 2018, actual candidates will appear as well instead of 80 year old men pipedreams.

But the old man was our savior and he was cheated...
:( Poor Bernie just wanted to be president to help the young people after his generation forever fucked them

tbm24

If the ultra left tries to co-op the party, then yes. The Democrats are fucked.

Well, lets be honest, they don't have much hope to be elected to office if they try and hold hard stances on everything. Can only hope that people will be engaged and support democrats if that's their prerogative. I get the sense from that thread that it may not be the case for some of them, which is fine but I hold my opinions about what that enables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom