• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The all caps tweet is genuinely unhinged

This man is going to have a heart attack

Bannon will get about a week out of propping up his corpse Weekend at Bernie's style before it all unravels

What the fuck was the point of picking a fight with China over One China again?

America couldn't give a shit about this, China would sacrifice hundreds of thousands of troops to enforce this. When one side cares so much more than the other, the side that cares more is going to win when the two sides are near equal power.

Is this gerrymandering or are they just really bad at coming together geographically.

This also sounds like a ringing endorsement for PR elections.

I mean, all of the Utah progressives live in Salt Lake City and the GOP carved up the city to split it into multiple districts.

Is this gerrymandering or are they just really bad at coming together geographically.

This also sounds like a ringing endorsement for PR elections.

A little of column A, a little of column B. For example, Salt Lake City is thrown in with a heavily rural District 2 while other more moderate towns/cities near SLC are also thrown in with rurals when in reality, you could create a district that'd elect a Democrat.

What the fuck was the point of picking a fight with China over One China again?

America couldn't give a shit about this, China would sacrifice hundreds of thousands of troops to enforce this. When one side cares so much more than the other, the side that cares more is going to win when the two sides are near equal power.

I mean, all of the Utah progressives live in Salt Lake City and the GOP carved up the city to split it into multiple districts.
Nice! I kind of wondered if Idaho got another CD if Boise could get there to be one purple district but I'm sure it would be turned into three different CDs.

Huh, come to think of it I haven't been to SLC in a long time even though I used to go there semifrequently.

I'm guessing common corr is out by the end of next week?

Pretty sure they would have to pass a new federal law to do that because states are the ones who adopt standards and the education secretary gets no say in it. like, it would make no sense for them to outlaw something that's already optional.

ayeorkean

CBS: Mexican FM helped Jared Kushner re-write Trump border wall speech

According to Mexican officials, Kushner is now handling everything between the two countries, and personally trying to keep the relationship from disintegrating further.

In the end, the speech Mr. Trump gave was far more measured than the original draft. Mr. Trump did not reiterate his now infamous line that Mexico will pay for the wall. He focused instead on the wall’s construction. Still, Mr. Trump’s ambitions to build a wall remained enact in the remarks and in his executive order.

This whole "don't say Trump's name" thing is getting stupid. "Ooh it's like Voldemort!" completely missing the point that Dumbeldore and Harry both use Voldemort's name because they recognize that that type of fear is tantamount to respect.

Like it's one thing to do it disrespectfully but committing to using "45" or whatever is just asinine.

JP_

Banned
This whole "don't say Trump's name" thing is getting stupid. "Ooh it's like Voldemort!" completely missing the point that Dumbeldore and Harry both use Voldemort's name because they recognize that that type of fear is tantamount to respect.

Like it's one thing to do it disrespectfully but committing to using "45" or whatever is just asinine.

Reminds me of Literally Who... and Literally Who 2, and 3, or however many "LWs" those dipshits came up with.

oh you're complaining about what people on facebook are doing

I'll be honest and destroy any credibility I may have in the process here. I don't have or use Twitter in any capacity. Pretty much my entire exposure to it is what people re-post here.

It just has always seemed like such an asinine method of communication. I can't help but feel like it's the most detrimental thing the internet has ever birthed.

Edit: And yes, I include the chans in that statement.

In his first call as president with Russian leader Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump denounced a treaty that caps U.S. and Russian deployment of nuclear warheads as a bad deal for the United States, according to two U.S. officials and one former U.S. official with knowledge of the call.

When Putin raised the possibility of extending the 2010 treaty, known as New START, Trump paused to ask his aides in an aside what the treaty was, these sources said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-putin-idUSKBN15O2A5?il=0

We are sooooo fucked

Chichikov

RG59WAY.jpg

https://twitter.com/cnbcnow/status/829901731337273346
That's a good thing, regardless of what you think should or shouldn't be done with Taiwan, the current status quo works pretty well and I seriously doubt someone like Trump butting in can make things better.

Also, I'm guessing he forgot what One China is and was just playing along to not sound stupid.

Kid Heart

I can see that on Twitter but people on my Facebook feed have been passing around this idiotic "list of rules for resisting Trump" or whatever and #1 is "don't say his name."

That sounds like a really pathetic attempt at dehumanizing him. Not saying his name isn't going to make him go away any faster.

Trump getting owned this badly by China is the most perfect setup ever for Richard Nixon's head to run for president.

Soon we will all once again be enjoying the great taste of a Charleston Chew!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm working on a Chaffetz is playing the game of thrones and purposefully held a highly-visible town hall to put the fear of god into his peers about checking Trump -theory but it's not fully formed. It requires a mix of ambition and righteousness I'm not sure Chaffetz has but a good script writer could do wonders with it.

That's a good thing, regardless of what you think should or shouldn't be done with Taiwan, the current status quo works pretty well and I seriously doubt someone like Trump butting in can make things better.

Also, I'm guessing he forgot what One China is and was just playing along to not sound stupid.

He probably thinks it's the one child policy.

It's going to take time but it's slowly going to turn. Just have to have faith.

His district had 91% voter turnout and he took 3/4 of the vote. It's good people are mad, but like, that angry townhall is probably the other 25% who voted against him.

If there's optimism to be had, it's that hopefully some of this anger is spilling over into districts that are less safe

I like how we wire-tapped the phone Flynn called, Flynn broke the law over the obviously tapped line (how fucking stupid is this guy), and how it's taken so long for Flynn's treachery to finally leak out when we've had these calls for a while now.

Comey is so cautious when it comes to things over than duplicate emails sent to Hillary Clinton.

Which... the caution might be fine, just could have shown a little more back then, asshole.

His district had 91% voter turnout and he took 3/4 of the vote. It's good people are mad, but like, that angry townhall is probably the other 25% who voted against him.

If there's optimism to be had, it's that hopefully some of this anger is spilling over into districts that are less safe

Yeah, this isn't about Chaffetz. This is about making a Republican in a R+5 or R+7 district think, "Jesus, if Chaffetz went through that and he had a safe district, what kind of hell am I going to get," and then wonder if dismanling the ACA is worth it.

Not treason, for you to commit treason you would have to support a state the US has a declaration of war against.

Okay, true, edited.

I mean... then again, we are kind of fighting a proxy war against Russia in Afghanistan right now. And there's Ukraine... So we are sort of at war with Russia right now.

But it's not entirely correct as a definition for Flynn's actions, sure.

It may not be the best thing in the long run, but at least he isn't making large decisions in the moment over twitter. Foreign policy should be extremely calculated imo.

It may not be the best thing in the long run, but at least he isn't making large decisions in the moment over twitter. Foreign policy should be extremely calculated imo.

He made this decision to start a row with China because of one five minute conversation with Bob Dole and only ended the row after weeks of China refusing to answer our calls.

Pretty sure they would have to pass a new federal law to do that because states are the ones who adopt standards and the education secretary gets no say in it. like, it would make no sense for them to outlaw something that's already optional.

And if they do target these standards, they're only making red states even worse at competing in the jobs market with blue state transplants. I can't tell you how many students I teach in college who are behind the curve coming from red state educations, while the blue staters are bored and pass with A's. I could probably do a study since it's gotten to the point that I don't even have to check the class roll for their hometowns; if they have a bad grade, they're almost always from a red rural area.

Man, that pisses me off. Roughly a third of the state voted for dem congress candidates, zero representation in congress.

Damn, at least in MS we got Bennie.

I'll be honest and destroy any credibility I may have in the process here. I don't have or use Twitter in any capacity. Pretty much my entire exposure to it is what people re-post here.

It just has always seemed like such an asinine method of communication. I can't help but feel like it's the most detrimental thing the internet has ever birthed.

Edit: And yes, I include the chans in that statement.

I'm with you. I tried Twitter years ago for a few weeks, but I can't train my brain to scroll past the bullshit (as in, convos people are having with each other, dumb retweets, etc... that aren't really meant to be read). I just end up with a headache.

Have I told you about our lord and savior closed-list PR?

You'd never get it, especially in red states. The best hope is a court decision forcing computer drawn districts with a goal of PR-like representation as an end goal. Red states like Utah should end up like MS in theory (where I'd love to have a blue wave, but realistically, 1 out of 4 is closer to accurate for our proportion of blue to red. We don't really have a gerrymandered state).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
i don't know if it is truly labeled treason, but unauthorized negotiation is absolutely against the law per the rarely (until recently) referenced Logan Act.

I think it's treason.

This is what we were all saying would be problems during a Trump presidency; none of these people have any experience at all (and no Republican who might have a future wants to be near them. The only upward Republican associated with Trump is Haley, who took the job that lets her stay out of the country for months at a time).

It's not that they'll fuck up on policy details (they will though), it's that they're fucking up basic tasks that should be routine for anyone with executive experience. The statement that Flynn "should have known" he was being monitored is pointless; what these people should know is astronomically far away from what they do know. Flynn was just a dumbass on a similar level to the rest of these dumbasses.

I give it a year before a high profile indictment has to happen.

You'd never get it, especially in red states. The best hope is a court decision forcing computer drawn districts with a goal of PR-like representation as an end goal. Red states like Utah should end up like MS in theory (where I'd love to have a blue wave, but realistically, 1 out of 4 is closer to accurate for our proportion of blue to red. We don't really have a gerrymandered state).
I'm not even sure it's constitutional, I'm pretty sure we'd need an amendment to get that changed and obviously that's not happening. I just want to make sure people know about far superior governmental designs to our especially terrible one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom