• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Lol

@Bencjacobs

Trump to pooler @gabriellahope_ about WaPo report on Mike Flynn: "I don't know about that. I haven't seen it. What report is that?"
5:30 PM · Feb 10, 2017

Also, Chaffetz going with the "out of state radicals" excuse regarding his town hall attendance.

studyguy

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...n-hall-meeting-bullying-and-intimidation.html

Chaffetz says out-of-state 'radicals' hijacked town hall meeting

Chaffetz said the standing room only audience in the auditorium at Brighton High School in Cottonwood Heights and protesting outside included people brought in from outside Utah to disrupt the meeting.

"Absolutely. I know there were," he said, suggesting it was "more of a paid attempt to bully and intimidate" than a reflection of the feelings of his 3rd District constituents.

Asked who would foot the bill to bring in people intent on disrupting the meeting, Chaffetz said, "do some reporting" and described how one participant made it a point to say he was not paid by a national Democratic organization.

DNC still cutting all these checks to these paid protestors! What happened to good old fashioned concerned citizenry?

The far left is a rejection of centrist politics. Centrism only benefits conservatives and Republicans. This is what young people have witnessed their entire adult lives. It is no wonder the far left is demanding reinvention of the Democratic Party.
Their "entire adult lives" is like 3 years.

I want higher minimum wage and health care and civil liberties and regulations and checks that prevent the upper class from curb-stomping people into poverty.
There was this silly woman who wanted these things too. I think she ran for President. What a loser.

New thread?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/russia-eyes-sending-snowden-u-s-gift-trump-official-n718921

U.S. intelligence has collected information that Russia is considering turning over Edward Snowden as a "gift" to President Donald Trump — who has called the NSA leaker a "spy" and a "traitor" who deserves to be executed.

That's according to a senior U.S. official who has analyzed a series of highly sensitive intelligence reports detailing Russian deliberations and who says a Snowden handover is one of various ploys to "curry favor" with Trump. A second source in the intelligence community confirms the intelligence about the Russian conversations and notes it has been gathered since the inauguration.

"For Russia, this would be a win-win. They've already extracted what they needed from Edward Snowden in terms of information and they've certainly used him to beat the United States over the head in terms of its surveillance and cyber activity," Zarate said.

"It would signal warmer relations and some desire for greater cooperation with the new administration, but it would also no doubt stoke controversies and cases in the U.S. around the role of surveillance, the role of the U.S. intelligence community, and the future of privacy and civil liberties in an American context.

"All of that would perhaps be music to the ears of Putin."

Cc5E63eUAAEgeDV.jpg

mo60

So trump's plan at this point is to keep on creating EO's restricting immigration to the US until one EO is allowed to be implemented by the judiciary. Wow.

Breads

Banned
Doesn't intent mean everything? If he keeps signing BS EOs that we all know is meant to ban muslims wouldn't Trump continue to be shot down in court?

Wow, this anti-union propaganda page that Boeing made to try to stop the unionization of its Charleston, SC plant is something.

https://weareboeingsc.com/

I know this normal, but it's crazy how shameless it is.

I've organized non-union shops. Standard propaganda.

You're supposed to innoculate the workers before they can launch this. We'd always tell people what they were gonna tell the workers and pre-empt their lies.

Snowden has nothing to do with Wikileaks

IDK if people are younger and weren't there but the history of Wikileaks, Manning and Snowden is all kinds of mis-talked about these days

We know that because we all post here on gaf.
Most people however, have only limited knowledge of what any of these things are. Any person who claims open information is good will think of Snowden releasing information and Wikileaks on the same level, and the same 'good' moral aspect (which is what I meant with 'poster boy for existence of wikileaks' ). They won't change that until they have to confront the cognitive dissonance of them being different, as they would exposed to more news on both if he's let go.

The public view on 'leaks' will probably change if that happens. In what way is another question. I'm guessing there is a planned campaign in play to make 'leaks' seem universally bad or something. Killing off Wikileaks is no big deal now, the damage has already been done.
And devaluating whistleblowers further makes the puppets seem more legit.

edit: as showcased in replies here already. Snowden did the right thing, Wikileaks never did.

Gruco

Banned
edit: as showcased in replies here already. Snowden did the right thing, Wikileaks never did.
This was like the 2014 take, but tbh it has been less clear over time.

I am confident that Snowden believed he was doing the right thing. At the same time, the more I've seen from congress, Obama, and respected intelligence writers, the less convinced I am of it being that straightforward.

I do agree that WikiLeaks is always shit, but the Snowden story probably isn't as simple as a hero whistle-blowing privacy advocate (even if those were likely his motivations). It's very likely he was cultivated as an unwitting Russian asset.

You would think people in this thread would discount the huge and heroic acts Snowden did on behalf of the American people because he didn't like your candidate.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Never thought there would be a more disfunctional branch of government than the last 6 years of the House. But holy fuck they are completely and utterly incompetent.

Fools. You don't go to the supreme court. The supreme court comes to you!

I don't know if I would laugh about this Snowden thing. Trump and others in his administration have already called for his execution and want him back in the US. Who would want to whistle blow against the Trump administration if it could be a death sentence?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fun details in here.

New Yorker - Kellyanne Conway's Battle for Trump's Favor
Trump has at least four senior officials vying for alpha status in the West Wing: Conway; Reince Priebus, his chief of staff and nominally the person in charge; Steve Bannon, the chief strategist, who has been the architect of Trump’s early actions; and Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and enforcer.

“Trump famously pits this one against the other,” a top White House official said, recounting the events of the day. “He’s like, ‘So and so is amazing, maybe smarter than you!’ He’ll just tease us.”

To stay on top, being by the President’s side is crucial. Priebus, for example, has a deputy, Katie Walsh, who previously worked with him at the Republican National Committee and who has taken on many of the responsibilities of a traditional White House chief of staff so that Priebus can remain glued to Trump. The situation has irritated the anti-Priebus faction. “Reince is a glorified bodyman,” one longtime Trump adviser said. “I don’t see how he has time for his responsibilities.”
Conway’s lack of clearance for high-level national-security discussions was increasingly leaving her out of the inner circle. Trump frequently asked Conway why she wasn’t in meetings, and Conway had to explain that she was waiting for her top-secret clearance. All that was left, for her to gain the access that her male rivals have, was to finish the training yesterday. But her comments about Ivanka pulled her off track.
As the controversy reverberated around Washington, Trump, Conway, White House lawyers, and senior staff members met to discuss the matter. Conway thought the prohibition against commercial endorsements was overly broad. Hadn’t Michelle Obama made commercial endorsements by wearing J. Crew clothes or by promoting certain fashion designers? “What if you had worn a Tom Brady jersey the day after the Super Bowl?” she asked Spicer, who is a New England Patriots fan. “If I show up in an Ivanka Trump dress, I’m violating it?”
They're a mess.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Get bent, Snowden

hahah snowden

Snowden released the right information with with the right curation and the right publications, effecting real policy with the released information. He then fled a country that had already held Manning for 3 years without trial at the time, in conditions the UN torture chief ruled cruel and inhuman.

And now we're talking about him going into the hands of a president that litterally called for his execution.

But fuck him right? I guess he deserves it for saying a couple of dumb things about hillary.

Fuck those types of reactions. How fucking heartless can you guys be?

Vimes

I don't know if I would laugh about this Snowden thing. Trump and others in his administration have already called for his execution and want him back in the US. Who would want to whistle blow against the Trump administration if it could be a death sentence?

Agreed. Guy's a dope but this would be a terrible development.

Can you imagine the public not being aware of PRISM to this day, with Trump as president? Let alone the party of Bush Jr having all three branches.

Snowden released the right information with with the right curation and the right publications, effecting real policy with the released information. He then fled a country that had already held Manning for 3 years without trial at the time, in conditions the UN torture chief ruled cruel and inhuman.

And now we're talking about him going into the hands of a president that litterally called for his execution.

But fuck him right? I guess he deserves it for saying a couple of dumb things about hillary.

Fuck those types of reactions. How fucking heartless can you guys be?

Good post. That tweet is astonishingly dumb, but these reactions are kinda shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom