• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Yes, but I would stress that the firmness is the most important factor.
Hank hill agrees
5bE7PrT.gif

Libertarians voted for Gary Johnson because of "both sides" and now Jeff Sessions is AG and Snowden might be executed.

This was not remotely good work by libertarians in this election.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Shit like this is why I don't want Cenk anywhere near whatever the "new Democratic party" ends up being.

What a stupid series of statements. The idea that millennials are more informed about policy than older generations is frankly laughable.

hawk2025

Shit like this is why I don't want Cenk anywhere near whatever the "new Democratic party" ends up being.

What a stupid series of statements. The idea that millennials are more informed about policy than older generations is frankly laughable.

That is one pandering-ass set of sentences, lmao

PKrockin

I'm a millenial and young people 30 years ago were probably better informed because they had to get their news from actual journalists writing actual articles with context and sources rather than facebook memes designed to confirm all your biases and go viral at all cost.

My feelings toward Snowden is that I've only got so much empathy and I think I'd rather use it for my students on visas who are terrified of Trump for reasons completely unrelated to their actions.

tuxfool

Banned

IMO a lot of Bernie Sanders millenials were not more informed. Worse yet, they actually peddled in disinformation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My feelings toward Snowden is that I've only got so much empathy and I think I'd rather use it for my students on visas who are terrified of Trump for reasons completely unrelated to their actions.

I mean, I feel bad, but if I were him I would have bounced the second Trump won. He had to know this shit was going to happen at some point.

Never ended up forming a concrete opinion about Snowden, though I'm convinced he thought he was doing the right thing which got muddied by the fact he fled to goddamn Russia of all places. He just didn't expect the US public to care so little about it since we'd all already been assuming we'd all been under 24/7 surveillance since 9/11. For the level of scandal it was it got shrugged off relatively easily by most. I don't think he's blameless for various things but the guy doesn't deserve death out of it, christ, especially not as a political favor. In hindsight, had he stayed and faced prosecution Obama may well have pardoned him as he did Manning. Well, not pardoned, but "time served" or whatever the flashy legal term is. Whatever Manning got, and she's free in a few months.
This is one of the most unintentionally hilarious things to come out of the entire election. "...between Donald Trump and Goldman Sachs..." *Trump proceeds to name GS COO as top economic advisor*

With Trump being the biggest baby yet biggest fear-mongerer, with him actually going through with a lot of his promises (yet in the worst most ineffectual way possible), and with GOP and other control promising years of progress stopped or even reversed...

How do you ever trust someone who proudly exclaims they supported Trump, even after all of his terrible choices and mistakes? How does this country even heal?

Is the solution to just not let it heal, to recognize these people, even ex-aquaintences, are truly irredeemable? How do you forgive them for following/believing in stuff that does people harm?

With Trump being the biggest baby yet biggest fear-mongerer, with him actually going through with a lot of his promises (yet in the worst most ineffectual way possible), and with GOP and other control promising years of progress stopped or even reversed...

How do you ever trust someone who proudly exclaims they supported Trump, even after all of his terrible choices and mistakes? How does this country even heal?

Is the solution to just not let it heal, to recognize these people, even ex-aquaintences, are truly irredeemable? How do you forgive them for following/believing in stuff that does people harm?

The proud ones are deplorable, irredeemable. Don't forgive or forget.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Elaina Plott said:
Exclusive: White House Has Interviewed Carl Higbie for Press Secretary

Carl Higbie has interviewed for the position of White House press secretary, according to two senior administration officials familiar with the matter.

“Well, I can say that I’ve offered my services,” Higbie confirms for Washingtonian when reached by phone. “I haven’t heard back from the administration yet. I’m honored to be even considered for this.” Higbie says he has spoken with “a number of people” in interview rounds for the post.
Higbie interviewed for the position on Thursday, according to the sources. Higbie declined to confirm this.

Higbie, a former Navy SEAL, is close with the Trump family, particularly Eric Trump, whom he met in the green room after appearing on the Kelly File last year. He was one of the first official surrogates for the president on the campaign trail. He was also spokesman for the Great America PAC, which purported to earmark donations “from the grassroots” for the Trump campaign.

The power of SNL.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yes, but I would stress that the firmness is the most important factor.

Oh, it is. But you don't want a firm handshake that feels like it's trying to be firm.

I think this is something on a lot of people's minds these days.

Currently where I'm at on it is that I can understand why somebody could vote for Trump. I think you, at a bare minimum, had to be misguided and gullible to do so. But unless you can get your head around that it's hard to reconcile that I have friends and family, who I truly care for, who voted for him. Thankfully, very few. But some.

A lot of those people are misguided single-issue voters, were sucked in by misinformation about the extent of Hillary Clinton's negatives, misinformed on a few key issues, or a combination of all. These people can be converted. And frankly, if you have one close to you, you should view it as your responsibility to understand why they voted for him and how you can show them their mistake, not in an accusatory way but understanding.

Most of those people, by the way, are currently feeling some level of discomfort with what Trump is doing, and/or how he's behaving. What I can't abide at this point though are people who have seen how the man continues to behave, what he's actually going to try to do, and still enthusiastically support him. In my current estimation these people are best written off from your personal life, addressed with little to no respect and when they must be addressed should be insulted, confronted with facts and made to feel shame for their lack of general understanding, and consistently have their noses rubbed in the inconsistencies, lies, and dangers surrounding the man they continue to support.

I think if it turns out Trump is a traitor and did Watergate 2 and was blackmailed with a piss video, his favorables probably drop by 5 points in the long-run.

Which is enough to win big in the next couple elections, but would be disappointing considering that Nixon lost 35ish points from Watergate 1.

Abe debasing himself to Trump who then immediately showed himself to be a total moron and completely disrespectful should hopefully be a lesson moving forward to other leaders.

messiaen

Has this guy seen the transcripts to the Lincoln-Douglas debates? Those were incredibly complex discussions that lasted hours and required the audience to be extremely informed.

It's honestly hard to take anything political seriously after the advent of television. Prior to the radio public discourse was a lot more knowledgeable about politics than we are now in the age of the internet and television. Padding is strong in these statements.

pigeon

Banned

I just came back to say THOSE PEOPLE ARE NAZIS, DO NOT FORGIVE THEM

ok bye

You are indeed a snowflake, and so smart, much smarter and more informed than those around you, who are indeed the source of all your problems and why you got that F in Advanced Ancient Pottery Studies course where you're finding yourself, that really they should be paying for.

Shinra 2020

Trump's possible replacement for Spicer thinks that Bernie is similar to Hitler (who killed Bernie's relatives and ancestors).

C4Ws5r5WQAALafc.jpg

Things are going to get more deranged.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Politico - CIA freezes out top Flynn aide
A top deputy to National Security Adviser Michael Flynn was rejected for a critical security clearance, effectively ending his tenure on the National Security Council and escalating tensions between Flynn and the intelligence community.

On Friday, one of Flynn’s closest deputies on the National Security Council, senior director for Africa Robin Townley, was informed that the Central Intelligence Agency had rejected his request for an elite security clearance required for service on the NSC, according to two people with direct knowledge of the situation.

That forced Townley, a former Marine intelligence officer who had long maintained a top secret-level security clearance, out of his NSC post, explained the sources, who requested anonymity to discuss sensitive personnel matters.

One of the sources said that the rejection was approved by Trump’s CIA director Mike Pompeo and that it infuriated Flynn and his allies.

Both sources said that the CIA did not offer much explanation for why Townley’s request for so-called “Sensitive Compartmented Information” clearance was rejected. But the sources said that Flynn and his allies believe it was motivated by Townley’s skepticism of the intelligence community’s techniques — sentiments shared by Flynn.

~Kinggi~

Banned
oh my god ima freeeeeee. Bans suck. Man i have lost my mind these last 30 days holy shit its even worse than i could have imagined.

Anyway, Bill Maher was pretty lit tonight. Al Franken interview was legit amazing. Someone youtube that Al was legit hilarious. I mean it was simultaneously funny and also enlightening as to how repubs are thinking right now. And Piers Morgan was a dick bag who seriously pissed off an Australian comedian. Comedian was giving him the finger across the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom