• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah I'm pretty sure the current reality we are living right now with Donald Trump as President with the GOP having more control than they've ever had is the actual "disaster"

I mean, absolutely. But I'm just worried about the far left hijacking the party because of purity test nonsense. I don't have an issue with progressivism, I just want people who are actually committed to progress and don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

mo60

I just hope a notley, obama or trudeau style candidate in 2020 can take advantage of the current divide in the democratic party because I don't want to deal with purity tests in 2020. Also, I like Ellison but yeah I rather not have someone that the GOP could easily attack and distract democrats from the work that needs to be done to win elections this year, in 2018 and 2020. Him still being a part of the DNC, but not the head of it is good.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
soul, did you ever read this? Reed's book Not Alms But Opportunity is also a fantastic look at the black emancipation movement in the pre-Civil Rights era. Would recommend.

sazzy

what is this about

QmDryON.png

dramatis

Because this is the first thing I think about when I open my eyes and stare at the ceiling in the morning, but it's really quite absurd to be screaming about how you're a liberal progressive and then talking about how anti-free trade is the more progressive position.

And it's even more bizarre if I think about how UK 'liberals' want to be 'free trade' (EU?) while the Sanders left wants to be anti-free trade.

I think it is less about ideological spectrum and more about nationalism in that case, wouldn't it?

I need to eat breakfast

Edit: I just looked at OT and it's already starting off to a great day

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

sphagnum

Banned
dramatis said:
And it's even more bizarre if I think about how UK 'liberals' want to be 'free trade' (EU?) while the Sanders left wants to be anti-free trade.

Europeans still use the word liberal in the classical sense while Bernie is a social democrat who basically idolizes the old strong-union-New-Deal days before automation and globalization wrecked havoc on worker power. I'm not sure why that would be "weird".

dramatis

Europeans still use the word liberal in the classical sense while Bernie is a social democrat who basically idolizes the old strong-union-New-Deal days before automation and globalization wrecked havoc on worker power. I'm not sure why that would be "weird".
What's weird is considering oneself to be a progressive if you're anti-free trade. It's more isolationist and conservative to adopt that kind of position.

Boke1879

For Perez and Ellison I hope they make some high profile bread breaking shows with the activist side. Need to finally end the neverending primary.

Well they are friends and I'm sure they've both talked a lot about what needs to happen going forward. I'm sure both are well connected as well.

royalan

Basically saying he won't release his voter info to the Dnc and will only support candidates he thinks have progressive values.

quelle surprise...

Bernie is not a Democrat, will never be a Democratic, and should be given no power in how this party runs. Because he doesn't give a fuck. I truly believe that's why Perez was backed in this race. Bernie pulled a power move and needed to be checked.

Tall4Life

quelle surprise...

Bernie is not a Democrat, will never be a Democratic, and should be given no power in how this party runs. Because he doesn't give a fuck. I truly believe that's why Perez was backed in this race. Bernie pulled a power move and needed to be checked.
What good would releasing his mailing list do? Instead of flooding his supporters with more ads they could hm I dont know actually work to try to appeal to the young progressive base?

What good would releasing his mailing list do? Instead of flooding his supporters with more ads they could hm I dont know actually work to try to appeal to the young progressive base?

Why is Bernie Sanders not doing everything in his power to oppose Trump and ensure Democrats go into 2018 with every possible advantage?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Part of getting said list is getting information on what they respond to, if I remember the argument right.

How would this help the Democrats oppose Trump? My argument still stands.

It sure as shit would make organizing a lot easier.

royalan

First of all, let's not pretend like the Bernie Sanders campaign didn't do its fair share of ad bombing. Every campaign does this.

Second, a campaign email list is more than just names and addresses. It's data. Data the Democrats could use. And Bernie betrays any notion that he wants to be an ally by holding his email list hostage. The point has been made before; if Hillary had even thought of doing something like this after 2008, she'd have been strung up.

That would be the point of releasing his mailing list: so that Democrats can reach out a hand to them and in doing so learn what they need to do to appeal to them. So that they know who to target and who not to target; who's interested and who would be apprehensive and nope the fuck out if someone even tries reaching out to them in any way. And of those who are interested, allowing contact with them to be made and begin, and learning what they like and don't like in a candidate and learn what they need to do to earn their votes and what would lose their votes.

That process can only begin by knowing who these people are and that they exist to begin with those, which is why Sanders should release the list: so that his common allies in the Democrats can do exactly what you propose and appeal to young progressives better and do whatever is possible to avoid Republicans taking/holding onto those seats. While on the other hand Sanders just holding onto that information and not sharing it does nothing and is keeping cars on the table for no logical reason and is having everyone else's work harder for no discernible reason nor any gain or benefit to anyone except Republicans, not even himself or his own goals or interests.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ah, I see the new GOP talking points memo hit today:

Rick Santorum: "I think the rush to a special prosecutor is always a dangerous thing”

Chris Christie: "When a special prosecutor gets involved, the thing gets completely out of control."

Tarydax

Banned
Basically saying he won't release his voter info to the Dnc and will only support candidates he thinks have progressive values.

Bernie's an idiot if he thinks Tom Perez isn't a progressive. Of course, Perez would be a "true progressive" if he had endorsed Bernie. The man is so incredibly petty. I'm actually glad that Obama and Biden stepped in to endorse Perez. If loyalty is more or less the one thing Bernie really cares about, he shouldn't be in control of the Democratic Party.

I can only hope that going forward, Ellison is a bigger person than Bernie has ever been.

Plinko

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Bernie remarks. They also led Trump to tweet in defense of Bernie, which does nothing but divide the party more. Stupid. I'm not convinced Bernie has America's best interests in mind.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah I'm not a fan of the Bernie remarks. They also led Trump to tweet in defense of Bernie, which does nothing but divide the party more. Stupid. I'm not convinced Bernie has America's best interests in mind.

He does, I think Bernie is genuinely motivated. I think he continues to underestimate the effect his words have, and its getting tiring

You didn't realize this when he extended the primaries until like July and ran a really nasty campaign?

tuxfool

Banned

*recalls Barney Frank's criticism of Bernie*

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Champion of Liberal causes, ladies and gentlemen

He's not going to do everything in his power to oust Trump and the GOP, he might as well just join their party

Why make such antagonizing comments to someone so politically similar to you? You need to stop setting such ridiculous purity tests.

royalan

He does, I think Bernie is genuinely motivated. I think he continues to underestimate the effect his words have, and its getting tiring

I'm only left with two choices here regarding that; either Bernie really is trying to wrangle influence within the party (this would answer a lot of questions I have, actually), or he's a fucking moron.

Because Bernie Sanders would have to be a total, complete fucking moron at this stage to not realize the power of his words.

Dierce

It's obviously useful, because he collected it, and feels he has leverage to not give it to the DNC.

Why is he not opposing Trump as hard as possible? Isn't he supposed to be the champion of the left?

I completely agree. I don't consider a guy who used the concept of economic anxiety as an excuse for racism to be the champion of the left. Sanders is nothing more than a populist opportunist like orange dipshit.

Furthermore it doesn't take a genius to see that republicans are using Sanders to divide the Democratic party.

I'm only left with two choices here regarding that; either Bernie really is trying to wrangle influence within the party (this would answer a lot of questions I have, actually), or he's a fucking moron.

Because Bernie Sanders would have to be a total, complete fucking moron at this stage to not realize the power of his words.

It's definitely a power play. I mean he went out of his way to try and fuck with DWS in her congress primary... I mean come on Tim Canova?

Why make such antagonizing comments to someone so politically similar to you? You need to stop setting such ridiculous purity tests.

Why does Bernie make so many antagonistic comments and moves against people who he's so similar to? Responding in kind isn't being aggressive, it's being reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom