• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
Just like that every hope is gone.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/836249701666160640

House GOP intel chair says no evidence either Trump or Clinton campaign contacted Russian govt last year: "we can't just go on witch hunt"

House GOP Intel chief Nunes on reports of Trump/Russia contacts: "I've been told by many folks there's nothing there"

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/836250156349677568

Watching and waiting for the GOP Senate to sit on this too.

Wilsongt

House GOP intel chair says no evidence either Trump or Clinton campaign contacted Russian govt last year: "we can't just go on witch hunt"

House GOP Intel chief Nunes on reports of Trump/Russia contacts: "I've been told by many folks there's nothing there"

Never has "but her emails" been more appropriate without sarcasm that than tweet about not wanting to go on a witch hunt.

What is this health plan that he keeps talking about? He keeps saying it will be so much better, but there is nothing there...

People have health, lots of health. They need to care so there is the best health. We also have plans, many plans that you haven't even thought of, so many plans your head will spin. So we combine the health and care with a plan that will be the best healthcare plan ever in the world.

Blader

What is this health plan that he keeps talking about? He keeps saying it will be so much better, but there is nothing there...

Republicans in Congress have said they no longer expect to get any health proposal from the White House, and that Price has intimated that Congress will need to draw up their own plan.

chadskin

Spicer, in 1993, complained to his college newspaper that they intentionally misspelled his name as "Sphincter". Incredible.
C5r6BB8XMAATJdN.jpg
https://twitter.com/kfile/status/836255827526844419

JP_

Banned

Well at least GOP is consistent. Witch-hunt-free for years now. Yep.

Zereta

Welp, I guess it's time for some more Russia leaks again

Basically.

If there really is something here, and we basically know there is, and GOP and the WH try to cover this up, the leaks will happen. If this is true, prolonging and covering up just adds to the list of people who go down with this.

Nunes, for example, is now on that list.

Wonder what Comey told Senate Intelligence Committee.

Chumley

Banned

Huh? Were you expecting different from the house? I thought this was already a given.

Action will have to come from the senate and leaks will continue.

Yeah there was no way the House was actually going to seriously do anything. If the intelligence community has the information and they keep lying about it, it won't stay hidden for long. Even in the Bush administration which was much more tight, things would eventually leak

Has the House committee even been briefed in the same way the Senate has? Nunes seems to be basically saying he doesn't know where things will go but it's surely going to be nothing so don't worry.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

I remember reading a bunch of stories like this over the weekend:

ABC News said:
The White House communicated with House Intelligence Committee Chairman Rep. Devin Nunes and Senate Intelligence Chairman Sen. Richard Burr about rebutting reports that Trump associates had contacts with Russian officials during the campaign.

The Washington Post first reported on Friday that the White House turned to senior members of the intelligence community and Congress to rebut the news reports after the FBI declined to do so publicly.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/whit...ss-rebutting-russia-stories/story?id=45738051

So, I'll wait to see what other people have to say.

Chris R

$54bn increase in defense spending but Hillary is the warmongerer. :)

And he just said "We have to start winning wars again." Fantastic.

Fucking hell, country is going to go to shit but at least we'll be able to visit America 2 over in the middle east in a few years.

Hindl

So this is just a hypothetical scenario I have about the question of succession following impeachment. I know this is just a fantasy scenario, I'm more just curious how it works, so humor me. So Trump gets impeached, then it goes to Pence. But if he were to get impeached/unable to perform, it then goes to the Speaker of the House. But then the Speaker doesn't necessarily have to match the President's party right? Basically, just for shits and giggles, 2018 is a massive wave and Dems retake the house. Then there would be a Democratic speaker, not Ryan. So in that case, if Pence needs to be succeeded, does the Democrat become President? Again I know this won't happen, but I'm just curious how that works

So this is just a hypothetical scenario I have about the question of succession following impeachment. I know this is just a fantasy scenario, I'm more just curious how it works, so humor me. So Trump gets impeached, then it goes to Pence. But if he were to get impeached/unable to perform, it then goes to the Speaker of the House. But then the Speaker doesn't necessarily have to match the President's party right? Basically, just for shits and giggles, 2018 is a massive wave and Dems retake the house. Then there would be a Democratic speaker, not Ryan. So in that case, if Pence needs to be succeeded, does the Democrat become President? Again I know this won't happen, but I'm just curious how that works

Yes, the Democrat would become president.

FyreWulff

yep. succession ignores party

Pence would quickly select a VP though.

DonShula

I'm curious as to why Pence is getting impeached in your scenario. Does he get hit by a bus? I can't see any scenario in which he becomes complicit with whatever gets Trump impeached, to the extent that he'd stick his fingers in his ears and say the Lord's Prayer whenever a remotely hot topic comes up.

I think the things that are annoying me the most now are the passive aggressive news articles like "While we're watching the scandals, Trump is quietly dismantling the federal government."

I see it pop up a lot on social media too - "while you're doing this Trump is just distracting you from him doing THIS!" It's like we're all on the Titanic and they're pointing out that the other side of the ship is sinking too - it's not really helpful.

The administration is doing a lot of shitty things but I don't feel like anyone has really ignored anything, just that there's only so much anyone can do about it. This is the stupid government that people voted into office.

Hindl

Alright thanks for the replies

I'm curious as to why Pence is getting impeached in your scenario. Does he get hit by a bus? I can't see any scenario in which he becomes complicit with whatever gets Trump impeached, to the extent that he'd stick his fingers in his ears and say the Lord's Prayer whenever a remotely hot topic comes up.

I'm not saying this will actually happen, I was just curious what happens if succession passes to the Speaker of the House when the House is controlled by a different party than the Presidency. Pence himself is irrelevant. If you want just re-read my post and replace the words "Trump" with "President" and "Pence" with "VP". None of it is going to happen anyway, I just wanted to know about about succession between parties

I think the things that are annoying me the most now are the passive aggressive news articles like "While we're watching the scandals, Trump is quietly dismantling the federal government."

I see it pop up a lot on social media too - "while you're doing this Trump is just distracting you from him doing THIS!" It's like we're all on the Titanic and they're pointing out that the other side of the ship is sinking too - it's not really helpful.

The administration is doing a lot of shitty things but I don't feel like anyone has really ignored anything, just that there's only so much anyone can do about it. This is the stupid government that people voted into office.

It's kind of like a way for people to whine about their personal pet issue not being highlighted the most. While you were all worried about RUSSIA, Trump dismantled environmental protections. It goes on and on until it loops back around to the first issue mentioned, like a circle.

Ogodei

I'm not really sure anymore. The town halls likely caused them at least some bit of fear that they'll lose their jobs. Random people who never cared about politics before were there arguing with them about not repealing Obamacare. And the response was that they were paid off by the Democrats, which likely just infuriated them more.

They were signalling hard that "repeal and fuck you" wasn't going to gain ground with a lot of them, even some of the more conservative ones like Tom Cotton, or Murkowski saying "no medicaid reduction unless Alaska approves it."

Now, maybe all of the angst about "Paid Protestors" could generate a circle-the-wagon effect where they happily move to spite their own constituents for annoying them, but that would plumb a new depth of pettiness and just help Dems in the long run, so...

DonShula

Alright thanks for the replies

I'm not saying this will actually happen, I was just curious what happens if succession passes to the Speaker of the House when the House is controlled by a different party than the Presidency. Pence himself is irrelevant. If you want just re-read my post and replace the words "Trump" with "President" and "Pence" with "VP". None of it is going to happen anyway, I just wanted to know about about succession between parties

Yeah I was kind of hoping for an exciting back story. I need to find a hobby.

WHY SAY YOU HAVEN'T CALLED RUSSIA IN 10 YEARS.

So obviously he was trying to say, I have nothing to do with Russia, but because he's A Stupid, he put some ridiculous date on it which he came up with on the top of his head that can be easily fact checked.

BECAUSE YOU HOSTED MISS UNIVERSE THERE IN RUSSIA IN 2013. THEREFORE YOU CALLED RUSSIA, I WOULD HOPE.

Chumley

Banned
This fucked up military op would have started impeachment proceedings if the shoe was on the other foot. Fuck this shit.

"Comfortable with how the mission was executed" smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom