• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Trump and his team were actually intelligent, they would have a scheme going where they made sure certain staffers get only certain bits of information. Depending in what info gets leak, they'd be able to pin point who is leaking.

I wonder if the CIA or FBI are doing that with Trump on Russia lol, trying to determine if intel is being shared with the Kremlin.

It's not impossible, but it's certainly harder than just stopping talking about guns. It is made extra hard by the fact that the NRA opposes literally anything aimed at curbing guns in this country. The Republicans just got rid of that law that stopped people with mental illnesses from buying guns, right? How do you fight something like that when one of the most powerful interest groups in the country is against you?

As long as people in rural, urban, and suburban Americans all live in their own bubble, the gun issue will continue to be divisive. Until rural Americans can see and understand why people in urban/suburban areas don't like/are worried about guns, they will continue to oppose gun control. And until urban/suburban Americans can see and understand why people in rural areas like guns, they will continue to want gun control.

Because let's be real - if you don't know anything about guns, seeing someone with an AR-15 is scary and you wonder why they even need it in the first place. And that's the case for many people in urban and suburban areas.
Oh for sure, I didn't say it would be easy, I just think the current strategy is both bad electoral politics and unhelpful policy. If our gun laws got us kicked out of office but actually made serious long term impact on gun violence in the country, I'd be all for it. I just don't think "No Fly No Buy" or "Gun Show Loophole" or "Assault Weapon Ban" or any other Sensible Common Sense Gun Control will do any of that. They're moderated so the people involved can say "We're not trying to take your guns away, this is just common sense" and then they accomplish nothing and both sides feel righteously angry.

Please. He got stopped because enough dirt got dug up on him to torpedo the nom. It would have been a PR disaster that made Betsy look like smooth sailing.

Like Trump could ever pay attention to Game of Thrones long enough to get to that episode.
because the administration is so clearly worried about PR disasters

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
That's just it- it's not my "plan", its reality. Voters are stupid and short-sighted and blame the President for everything. Young people who come of age in good times are coddled and spoiled and think "both times are the same."

It's not about having a plan, its about seeing the greater cycle, and in that vein, Hillary Clinton losing could turn out to be for the best, given how incompetent Trump is at actually passing legislation.

The problem is that white identity politics have taken over rural areas and there's no way of taking them back until those politics no longer do anything for them.

Heh, I remember wanting Obama to wait to run until 2016 and the economy was doing better, and saddle the GOP with the recession through and through. I get the cycle thing, and, yes, had Clinton won in 2016, we probably would have gotten destroyed in 2020.

See; I don't think white identity politics have "taken over" rural areas - I think they did for this election because of the nature of Trump v Clinton, but people forget that Obama could have had 2004 electoral turnout and still easily won election in 2008. These things are super swingy; and 4 years is a long time. Coalitions are generally unique to presidential candidates more than people tend to realize - and I think trying to shift towards suburbs and cities

a) is not feasible because the policies suburbanites will want will be in extreme conflict with what someone who lives in the city would want - Trump being so un-civil forged a stronger alliance between the two groups than normally happens, but that alliance shatters the second a non-Trump candidate shows up. Taxes, public infrastructure, etc.

b) is electorally extremely weak due to the nature of the electoral college and Congress.

Also, that mental health rule was BS - even the ACLU opposed it.

http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/2/6/14522132/gun-control-disabilities-republicans-nra-obama

Wilsongt

9m
Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump
GOP now viewed more favorably than Dems, in Trump era (per NBC/WSJ poll) via @HotlineJosh:
17057 NBCWSJ February Poll
scribd.com

Hotline Josh? Hew?

kess

That's just it- it's not my "plan", its reality. Voters are stupid and short-sighted and blame the President for everything. Young people who come of age in good times are coddled and spoiled and think "both times are the same."

It's not about having a plan, its about seeing the greater cycle, and in that vein, Hillary Clinton losing could turn out to be for the best, given how incompetent Trump is at actually passing legislation.

The problem is that white identity politics have taken over rural areas and there's no way of taking them back until those politics no longer do anything for them.

Allowing the GOP to consolidate unchecked outside of major metropolitan areas isn't much of a plan, and only contributes to white identity politics in the long term. You need your Kanders and Buttigiegs because people aren't going to bother with a party (or candidate) that ignored them in the name of political expedience.

kirblar

Allowing the GOP to consolidate unchecked outside of major metropolitan areas isn't much of a plan, and only contributes to white identity politics in the long term. You need your Kanders and Buttigiegs because people aren't going to bother with a party (or candidate) that ignored them in the name of political expedience.
I'm not saying ignore them. I'm saying don't rely on them as part of the base coalition. They will betray you. There's a difference.

Oh for sure, I didn't say it would be easy, I just think the current strategy is both bad electoral politics and unhelpful policy. If our gun laws got us kicked out of office but actually made serious long term impact on gun violence in the country, I'd be all for it. I just don't think "No Fly No Buy" or "Gun Show Loophole" or "Assault Weapon Ban" or any other Sensible Common Sense Gun Control will do any of that. They're moderated so the people involved can say "We're not trying to take your guns away, this is just common sense" and then they accomplish nothing and both sides feel righteously angry.

It is bad electoral politics, but unfortunately there are people in suburban and urban areas who want gun control. And those people - especially the ones in urban areas - are a bigger part of the Democratic base than people in rural areas. This is why it is not as simple. If you drop everything to appeal to the WWC, you risk alienating other parts of the base.

Heh, I remember wanting Obama to wait to run until 2016 and the economy was doing better, and saddle the GOP with the recession through and through. I get the cycle thing, and, yes, had Clinton won in 2016, we probably would have gotten destroyed in 2020.

See; I don't think white identity politics have "taken over" rural areas - I think they did for this election because of the nature of Trump v Clinton, but people forget that Obama could have had 2004 electoral turnout and still easily won election in 2008. These things are super swingy; and 4 years is a long time. Coalitions are generally unique to presidential candidates more than people tend to realize - and I think trying to shift towards suburbs and cities

a) is not feasible because the policies suburbanites will want will be in extreme conflict with what someone who lives in the city would want - Trump being so un-civil forged a stronger alliance between the two groups than normally happens, but that alliance shatters the second a non-Trump candidate shows up. Taxes, public infrastructure, etc.

b) is electorally extremely weak due to the nature of the electoral college and Congress.

Also, that mental health rule was BS - even the ACLU opposed it.

http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/2/6/14522132/gun-control-disabilities-republicans-nra-obama

Urban and suburban voters are in extreme conflict, but urban and rural are not? Not sure this makes any sense.

Also, that article calls an assault weapons & high capacity magazine ban "political popular," which it posits as the "substantive gun control measures." It makes some interesting points re: discrimination & access to guns, but it doesn't make that great of a case at all. And certainly doesn't provide actual alternatives.

mo60

9m
Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump
GOP now viewed more favorably than Dems, in Trump era (per NBC/WSJ poll) via @HotlineJosh:
17057 NBCWSJ February Poll
scribd.com

Hotline Josh? Hew?

Question 12 in that poll will piss trump off. Also Congressional Dems are not as hated as congressional republicans according to that poll. Also 32 percent of trump voters voted for him last year because they hated hilary according to that poll. Also wow at the results for Question 17.

Yeh, a gay mayor is going to play really well with rural voters.

I guess he can be one of the good ones.

I think this would be a problem, but not *that* much of one since opposition to LGB is decreasing substantially (lot of work for the T though!). Buttigieg isn't RuPaul. He's not flamboyant, he's a military veteran, he's white ("one of the good ones," as you said). I doubt it would be an issue except for evangelicals who weren't going to vote for him anyway.

But maybe I'm too optimistic.

He isn't going to be Governor of Indiana. Lol.

Anyway, I don't really think the idea that coalitions change is that controversial.

Reliably Democratic Appalacia, stopped being reliably Democratic, and no one sees a path to the WH through WV, or to a Senate Majority once Manchin is eventually replaced by an actual Republican.

The problem is building a new coalition, one the Democrats thought they had with Obama's "ascendant" groups. Not ascendant enough.

With (sometimes the same) people saying the big tent needs to be big enough to bring in and placate the further "left" youth, and the probably kinda racist swing and/or rural. That's a tent that's going to collapse anyway, when the only tie that binds is opposition to acronyms.

Zukkoyaki

When it comes to rural voters at the very least dems need to avoid the phrase "gun control" at all costs. The vast majority of the country supports expanded background checks but that wording is tainted to an insane number of voters. Even "common sense gun control" is too much. Just say "background checks to stop terrorists." It's accurate, not as scary and stopping terrorists is an easy idea to rally behind.

I know a lot of people rural Missouri that only vote R because of guns. It's one of the reasons Kander did so well.

The gun issue is the one issue where I'm comfortable with putting on the backburner for a while at least in terms of campaigning on.

The one issue I have with some people in the far left is whether they understand that the people we need to appeal to in order to win back the house are not going to be particularly liberal. Bernie says we need to learn how to appeal to working class voters again. Well, ok, but these people are not going along with voting for a tax increase in order to expand Medicaid even if they will save more overall.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Caught the tail end of a piece on APM's Marketplace talking about the costs to businesses like farms of Trump's immigration crackdown, and there was a lady talking about how her family's struggling to make ends meet. Her husband is undocumented, although in some part of the process of getting a green card. Her 13-year-old daughter is terrified of Trump. This woman says she voted for an independent candidate.

That's a kind of idiocy I just cannot fathom. One of the two major candidates wants to destroy your family and you opt out by voting third party? What the hell. When even people like this don't get it, I lose faith in humanity.

When it comes to rural voters at the very least dems need to avoid the phrase "gun control" at all costs. The vast majority of the country supports expanded background checks but that wording is tainted to an insane number of voters. Even "common sense gun control" is too much. Just say "background checks to stop terrorists." It's accurate, not as scary and stopping terrorists is an easy idea to rally behind.

Even that can be problematic given the knack for conspiracy theories in those communities. IE "who gets to define who is a terrorist? What if the government declares regular citizens are terrorists and takes their guns?"

The "majority" support for background checks is largely soft support. The issue doesn't dictate what candidates the average vote does or doesn't support, no matter what dem interest groups tell you. In short democrats are not rewarded for their view, and republicans are not punished for theirs.

Zukkoyaki

Even that can be problematic given the knack for conspiracy theories in those communities. IE "who gets to define who is a terrorist? What if the government declares regular citizens are terrorists and takes their guns?"

The "majority" support for background checks is largely soft support. The issue doesn't dictate what candidates the average vote does or doesn't support, no matter what dem interest groups tell you. In short democrats are not rewarded for their view, and republicans are not punished for theirs.
Putting it that way, maybe metalslimer is right in thinking gun control should be placed in the backburner for awhile. Not to downplay the issue but there are things like civil liberties to worry about at the moment.

Wilsongt

Question 12 in that poll will piss trump off. Also Congressional Dems are not as hated as congressional republicans according to that poll. Also 32 percent of trump voters voted for him last year because they hated hilary according to that poll. Also wow at the results for Question 17.

Can't read on my phone. Need an app for that. What is it?

It is bad electoral politics, but unfortunately there are people in suburban and urban areas who want gun control. And those people - especially the ones in urban areas - are a bigger part of the Democratic base than people in rural areas. This is why it is not as simple. If you drop everything to appeal to the WWC, you risk alienating other parts of the base.

Urban and suburban voters are in extreme conflict, but urban and rural are not? Not sure this makes any sense.

Also, that article calls an assault weapons & high capacity magazine ban "political popular," which it posits as the "substantive gun control measures." It makes some interesting points re: discrimination & access to guns, but it doesn't make that great of a case at all. And certainly doesn't provide actual alternatives.
Sure, I didn't say it would be easy! I'm just saying there are more effective options that potentially have a broader electoral appeal. Also maybe those voters should stop doing purity tests :p. More seriously though, I think it also plays into the whole "gun rights are prioritized much more by their advocates than gun control by their advocates."

Rural and urban areas aren't aligned obviously but Cybit's right to point out the discrepancies between suburban voters who have been the Republican backbone for a long time and what Democrats want. Being a party of social democracy will probably be difficult when you're couring the Ron Johnson vote.

Unless you go hardcore authoritarian, there isn't really a technocratic way to deal with guns. The genie isn't going back in; there are plenty of guns out right now that are easy to access.

But I'm also a rural Southerner, so I don't really have any anxiety around guns. Just as dangerous as a lot of power tools as far as I'm concerned.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

It's more along the lines of that suburban voters have been reliably Republican for a long time, and Trump is probably not the harbinger of the GOP to come, but probably a bit of an outlier for a GOP candidate. Trying to quickly revamp your coalition around a group of generally staunch Republican voters who happened to vote Democrat because of Trump is the political equivalent of seeing a chart that is trending upward and assuming it will trend upward forever.

Danger lies down that route.

Gun violence is still pretty important as an issue to black communities.

But whatever. Who else are they gonna vote for.

Unless people are willing to go after handguns, gun violence in cities is unrelated to pretty much every major gun control law ever proposed.

How are we going to deal with this without a massive buyback program? None of the current measures Democrats push will do anything about this. I'd rather just invest in services in their communities to end this.

If I wasn't on mobile I'd link to the Jaymal Green link of him attacking Rahm Emanuel and sayimg "if you want to stop violence, you have to talk about the economics, not police"

This is basically the point I've been trying to make. Even if gun control proposals don't result in much positive change at all, it's still important to some people - and those people happen to be the backbone of the Democratic Party.

There's again an eagerness to alienate them in order to appeal to the WWC.

Unless you go hardcore authoritarian, there isn't really a technocratic way to deal with guns. The genie isn't going back in; there are plenty of guns out right now that are easy to access.

But I'm also a rural Southerner, so I don't really have any anxiety around guns. Just as dangerous as a lot of power tools as far as I'm concerned.

It's not anxiety, it's about the violence they are used for in cities.

Which is why all the assault rifle ban stuff is annoying. If it were up to me, anyone could have any long gun, and concealable guns would be the ones to outlaw.

You can defend your home or hunt with a long gun, people generally do not need pistols for much of anything.

This is basically the point I've been trying to make. Even if gun control proposals don't result in much positive change at all, it's still important to some people - and those people happen to be the backbone of the Democratic Party.

I'd be more than happy to go all up on police misbehavior and social justice in trade for dropping the gun stuff.

I mean, I want gun control, I just think it's a losing position.

I'd be more than happy to go all up on police misbehavior and social justice in trade for dropping the gun stuff.

I mean, I want gun control, I just think it's a losing position.

I agree with you, but not everyone in the Democratic Party thinks that way. Many of them want gun control and it's not hard to see why.

I don't think anything will change as long as rural, suburban, and urban voters all live in their own bubbles.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

I'm for pretty strict gun control - I just get why actual gun owners tend to roll their eyes whenever the Dems propose gun control laws - they're usually purely designed to make people feel better rather than solve gun violence. I'd rather get behind proposals that actually help people.

EDIT: I'll point people towards https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-deaths-introduction/ as a good primer to understand the impact of various gun control proposals on gun violence as well as getting a better understanding of the whole picture.

Funnily enough, control measures for legally purchased guns aren't actually at the core of urban gun violence issues. Although still important. But advocating that people just stop talking about gun violence seems like it will be super motivating.

But democrats have focused entirely on guns that have been used in school shootings of (white) kids and adults; the national democrat message on this issue doesn't talk to black people at all. You're never going to hear a major democrat call for handguns to be banned. The vast majority of inner city gun violence is from handguns. Hell, the vast majority of gun violence outside of inner cities is from handguns too.

Going after gun traffickers and straw purchases would help inner cities. Especially Chicago, where most of the guns are pumped in from surrounding states with lax gun laws.

See post above about how legal gun control isn't really the core. I agree. I don't think the way Dems have been going at gun violence is particularly the best. At least with regard to the issues facing core constituents.

But I'm not reading change approach to gun violence to appease white people. I'm reading stop talking about gun violence because rural people like their killing tools.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Anyway, I don't really think the idea that coalitions change is that controversial.

Reliably Democratic Appalacia, stopped being reliably Democratic, and no one sees a path to the WH through WV, or to a Senate Majority once Manchin is eventually replaced by an actual Republican.

The problem is building a new coalition, one the Democrats thought they had with Obama's "ascendant" groups. Not ascendant enough.

With (sometimes the same) people saying the big tent needs to be big enough to bring in and placate the further "left" youth, and the probably kinda racist swing and/or rural. That's a tent that's going to collapse anyway, when the only tie that binds is opposition to acronyms.

But what other coalition is possible? It's not like a socially liberal fiscally conservative democrat is ever going to win over a rural red state.

To me, it seems like the red state strategy of the last 20 years has largely been to build a coalition of people that hate their opponent, being somewhat pro-life, very pro-gun, and generally trying to keep their heads down on all other issues. And that's exactly the type of tent that collapses easily, as you pointed out.

Red state democrats need something possitive to differentiate themselves with that isn't about hating the other side, and something pro-big government/anti-corporation is the only thing that rural voters might connect with left democrats on.

We just need to figure out what big government thing rural voters want, because free college and food stamps don't really cut it. They want good jobs, and democrats need to figure a way to sell the government as the thing that will give it to them.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
The hypocrisy of these assholes....

They spent years bitching about Benghazi and proceed to slash the State Department budget.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
To be honest - I think gun control is an issue the Dems do a poor job of making hay with when it comes to rural areas - especially when it comes to suicide (2/3 of all gun deaths). I kinda think we should probably talk about it more and talk about the impact it has on all areas of the country. I think we do a disservice to everyone by ceding the argument to the NRA because we're either a) frustrated or b) don't understand the topic.

I kinda think if we got our shit together on our approach, we could actually pass useful gun legislation in this country. But it requires us going about it in a different way. AKA being intersectional about gun violence with respect to mental health and providing opportunities inside cities for economic growth.

kess

Perhaps not, but the inference is that LGBT candidates are strictly limited to mayoralties and perhaps a urban district in a blue state. I reject this. After the election of Obama, and now Trump, we should throw realism and electoral truisms out the window.

Unfortunately, since the emerging Democratic coalition has obviously not reached an winnable electoral form yet, the party is forced to choose between electoral blocs which have stabbed the party in the back once or twice... or have never voted for the party in recent memory! Who betrayed who?

The worsening state of education in GOP-led states is going to perpetuate racism and hatred for another generation and we need to find ways to mitigate it as soon as possible. The road to the White House still very much runs through Michigan and Wisconsin. The Democratic party needs to figure out how, say, Gillibrand won rural counties that Clinton lost by double digits.

Trickster

Tomorrow in the House floor. The State of the Union.

Here's a preview:

THE WORLD IS TERRIBLE AND A TERIFYNG PLACE! YOU KNOW WHAT'S NOT TERRIBLE? MY EC WIN! IT WAS AMAZING!!!

You sure it's tommorow? I was searching after i posted and found an article saying its a 9 pm tonight

edit - nvm i got the dates mixed up since it's over midnight at my place, so it's already the 28'th here

Tarydax

Banned
This flawless drag. Damn, King.

I am hopefully about Tom trying to include Keith as much as he is intending to. With the Clinton ways gone, unity can be better achieved between the Obama and Bernie camp.

I doubt Clinton´s people will remain quiet, though.

Clinton barely even got involved in the DNC Chair race - she only privately told her friends it would be okay to vote for Ellison. She didn't outright endorse anyone. Why is anyone talking about Clinton, here? The friction that exists is mostly between the Obama and Bernie people; Clinton had practically nothing to do with it.

Bernie undermined the unity message of his favored candidate when he called Joe Biden part of the failed status quo. That probably did more to turn people against Ellison than anything Ellison himself said or did.

The WH released bullet points for the speech. I'm sure there will be no off the cuff deviations from our esteemed President but here they are anyway:

http://politi.co/2lMUfry

Preview of the President’s Address to a Joint Session of Congress
• One by one, President Trump has been checking off the promises he made to the American people. He’s doing what he said he was going to do.
• In Tuesday night’s speech, he will lay out an optimistic vision for the country that crosses the traditional lines of party, race and socioeconomic status. It will invite Americans of all backgrounds to come together in the service of a stronger, brighter future for our nation.
• All Americans share a desire for safe communities for themselves and their families. All Americans want their children to have access to good schools. And all Americans deserve good jobs that allow them to prosper and dream. For far too many people – “the forgotten men and women” – these fundamental desires have been out of reach for too long.
• The President will lay out the concrete steps he has already taken to make the American Dream possible for all of our people.
• He will talk about how he wants to work with Congress to pass a bold agenda. That will include:
• Tax and regulatory reform to get relief to hardworking Americans and American businesses.
• Making the workplace better for working parents.
• Saving American families from the disaster of Obamacare.
• Making sure every child in America has access to a good education.
• A great rebuilding of the American military.
• Fulfilling our commitments to our veterans and making sure they have access to the care they need.
• It will be a speech addressed to ALL Americans AS Americans—not to a coalition of special interests and minor issues.
• Americans can expect a speech that is grounded firmly in solving real problems for real people. How can we make sure that every American who needs a good job can get one? How can we get kids who are trapped in failing schools into a better school? How we can keep gangs and drugs and violent crime out of their neighborhoods?
• The President will reach out to Americans living in the poorest and most vulnerable communities, and let them know that help is on the way.
• He will also speak to the daily challenges of the Middle Class.
• He will look to the future and talk about what we can achieve if we come together.
• Finally, he will call on Congress to act. He is eager to partner with lawmakers to fix our problems and build on this renewed American spirit.

Looks like Sessions isn't wasting anytime being a racist prick. They are dropping the the objection to the Texas voter if law that was done so under the Obama justice department.

Tarydax

Banned
But Biden is part of the failed status quo.

If Biden is a failure, Bernie is an even bigger one. Biden didn't do anything to hurt Perez's candidacy, whereas Bernie helped sink Ellison's campaign. Bernie would have been a better surrogate if he shut the hell up after making that initial endorsement.

A bunch of the people who endorsed Ellison - from Chuck Schumer to John Lewis - are also a part of "the failed status quo," and yet Bernie didn't say anything when they supported Ellison. It seems to me that he only cares to bash the status quo when it doesn't line up with what he wants - as if loyalty to him is the most important thing.

Bernie probably would have supported Sam Ronan if Ellison didn't run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom