• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Yeah so
C7jBVMOW0AE1-EO.jpg

Allard

So wait. Nunes took it on himself to notify Trump about FISA surveillance? How is that legal? Even if it was "incidental" collections from Trump, it still might involve someone Trump is friendly with.

It also basically makes it evidence #1) why an independent investigation with prosecutor powers needs to be done now. The head of the house investigation into Trump just circumvented his entire committee to bring evidence to Trump himself and talked of hings no one in the public is supposed to know about. Forget recusal, the republicans should remove him out right from the committee at MINIMUM because he doesn't actually know how to do his damn job.

It also basically makes it evidence #1) why an independent investigation with prosecutor powers needs to be done now. The head of the house investigation into Trump just circumvented his entire committee to bring evidence to Trump himself and talked of hings no one in the public is supposed to know about. Forget recusal, the republicans should remove him out right from the committee at MINIMUM because he doesn't actually know how to do his damn job.

We also have to take it at his word that it doesn't have to do with Russia.

So Nunes decided to go public with this 'new info' without discussing it with the FBI and neither with those in the committee. Yeah that's not suspect at all.

teiresias

So wait. Nunes took it on himself to notify Trump about FISA surveillance? How is that legal? Even if it was "incidental" collections from Trump, it still might involve someone Trump is friendly with.

Finally a leak the IC should investigate.

I love how Trump and his supporters have to twist his original accusation all into knots to even make this "vindication" even make sense - all because they're not smart enough to know what "incidentally" means in the context of surveillance.

Not to mention the fact that this all begs the question why he was getting caught up incidentally anyway.

Tim Alberta‏Verified account
@TimAlberta

Follow
More
Sense I'm getting is leadership might still put bill on floor even if they're 5-7 votes shy. That margin is looking increasingly realistic.

It'll end up failing by a lot more if its looks like it's failing at all.

Tim Alberta‏Verified account
@TimAlberta

Follow
More
Sense I'm getting is leadership might still put bill on floor even if they're 5-7 votes shy. That margin is looking increasingly realistic.

Good, put it up to vote. Allow the dems the opportunity to showcase the jackasses trying to take the poor's healthcare away.

the wiretap story was basically dead after comey

this is just damage control

The Republicans and talk radio always feel the need to make everything political, so if they can get it out there that there was surveillance of Trump, the feel like they can spin it in a way to make Trump a victim. Their problem is that they don't realize the fire that can occur when someone is being investigated.

pigeon

Banned
Didn't Ryan not want the position?

Why would you want to be the middle man between completely crazy people and slightly less crazy people?

Well, Boehner just really liked being in charge of things.

I have no idea why Paul Ryan agreed to do it. As far as I can tell, Paul Ryan genuinely believes that Randian policies that kill poor people are great, so maybe it was in pursuit of that.

The other alternative is that everybody was always wrong to think that Paul Ryan was smart and he's actually extremely dumb, which is looking like a surprisingly strong hypothesis right now.

So let me get this straight.

Nunes on Monday: Leaks are a threat to national security and make it harder for our intelligence and law enforcement to do their jobs.

Nunes on Wednesday: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have no idea why Paul Ryan agreed to do it. As far as I can tell, Paul Ryan genuinely believes that Randian policies that kill poor people are great, so maybe it was in pursuit of that.

There was zero way forward to selecting a speaker without Ryan. Whole thing was fucked.

Like the only feasible option otherwise was maybe having a weird coalition speaker that the Dems could help approve. It was that much of a mess.

Maxim726X

There was zero way forward to selecting a speaker without Ryan. Whole thing was fucked.

Like the only feasible option otherwise was maybe having a weird coalition speaker that the Dems could help approve. It was that much of a mess.

Well, he's likely fucked after tomorrow so I wonder who we'll see next.

Chumley

Banned
How in gods fucking name does Nunes sacrificing himself to "partially vindicate" Trump's dumbfuck tweet help Trump at all? People keep saying it and I keep boggling at it.

pigeon

Banned

Oh yeah, I agree that they had nobody who could be speaker except Ryan.

It's just not clear why Ryan did it. I would've just been like "lol fuck you guys, figure it out." He was supposed to run for president!

So what happens to tax reform and infrastructure if the repeal/replace trainwreck goes the way it looks?

And if tax reform is put on hold, what happens with Wall Street's Trump surge? Will the DOW drop as quickly as it went up?

I didn't look at the press conference. Nunes tried to cover for Trump by saying that there was some sort of surveillance on Trump's campaign or people Trump's campaign contacted while also saying that there are FISA warrants on some people close to Trump?

Teggy

So one theory was Nunes did this so intel community is less likely to share info with the intel committee, meaning less likely to get to Dems.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
So one theory was Nunes did this so intel community is less likely to share info with the intel committee, meaning less likely to get to Dems.

I like my theory that Nunes name popped up or a friend of his and now trying to save his ass.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Was in training all day. Summary of NunesGate?

Nunes held a conference at 1 pm. About new info about the investigation. Had a meeting with Trump did not tell Schriff about it. So only Nunes and Trump have info. Trump allowed him to have a press conference on the front lawn.

So what happens to tax reform and infrastructure if the repeal/replace trainwreck goes the way it looks?

And if tax reform is put on hold, what happens with Wall Street's Trump surge? Will the DOW drop as quickly as it went up?

If they can't do healthcare i doubt they can do the others. This is what Republicans were talking about for years, and still couldn't get it done with Republican control. Wall Street is volatile, so yeah it will drop, we are already seeing drops.

Teggy

Pepe sign looks exactly like 👌

So if you see someone using that they are either a Nazi, trying to signal they are okay, or playing the circle game.

Yes it is dumb.

That part I know, but what is the bit where she puts her hand up to her eye first?

Blader

GOP can still do some kind of tax package, but it wouldn't nearly as significant as they without being able to pocket savings from a healthcare bill. It would definitely infrastructure though, as they will never greenlight new spending for that without their healthcare and tax reforms going into action.

Jeels

If they can't do healthcare i doubt they can do the others. This is what Republicans were talking about for years, and still couldn't get it done with Republican control. Wall Street is volatile, so yeah it will drop, we are already seeing drops.

You sure about that? There is a hell of a lot more consistency across the conservative ideological spectrum on tax reform than there is on healthcare.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To recap:

1) Nunes runs straight to Trump/Ryan with intelligence details instead of to the investigating committee.
2) Nunes then politicizes it into a press conference, clearly under the direction of Trump so he can make it appear like Obama actually wiretapped Trump.
3) Nunes admits there were multiple FISA requests out on Trump team.

Again, this sounds an awful lot like something big is there and they're trying to get ahead of it. This is only going to make the IC even angrier.

Slizeezyc

What right-leaning policies are things a majority of Americans like?

Was thinking about this today with the healthcare vote tomorrow etc. and all the negativity around it. Many people also say America at large "leans" right, but what conservative policies are actually popular?

Lower taxes? Guns? Do Americans (and people) as a whole just like "cheap and good" things and so that's where they get their stuff to hype people on?

Or is it more just various less popular but more hardcore items that get enough of conservatives together, but it's not really a majority on much? Abortion, immigration etc.?

avaya

To recap:

1) Nunes runs straight to Trump/Ryan with details instead of to the investigating committee.
2) Nunes then politicizes it into a press conference, clearly under the direction of Trump so he can make it appear like Obama actually wiretapped Trump.
3) Nunes admits there were multiple FISA requests out on Trump team.

Again, this sounds an awful lot like something big is there and they're trying to get ahead of it.

It's following the watergate timeline. Except worse. Plus GOP no longer has a modicum of integrity anywhere in the party.

What right-leaning policies are things a majority of Americans like?

Was thinking about this today with the healthcare vote tomorrow etc. and all the negativity around it. Many people also say America at large "leans" right, but what conservative policies are actually popular?

Lower taxes? Guns? Do Americans (and people) as a whole just like "cheap and good" things and so that's where they get their stuff to hype people on?

Or is it more just various less popular but more hardcore items that get enough of conservatives together, but it's not really a majority on much? Abortion, immigration etc.?

1. Not allowing refugees
2. 20 week abortion ban
3. Resisting arrest is a hate crime (I think this is popular, but not sure exactly)
4. Death penalty
5. Long prison sentences (I believe)

And going to war is generally popular in the beginning.

Punitive things are pretty popular.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My favorite part:

Kasie Hunt‏Verified account @kasie

NUNES tells me he can't show Dem ranking member Schiff any of the reports because Nunes/the committee doesn't have them in their possession

How does this make any sense whatsoever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom