• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphagnum

Banned
What right-leaning policies are things a majority of Americans like?

Was thinking about this today with the healthcare vote tomorrow etc. and all the negativity around it. Many people also say America at large "leans" right, but what conservative policies are actually popular?

Lower taxes? Guns? Do Americans (and people) as a whole just like "cheap and good" things and so that's where they get their stuff to hype people on?

Or is it more just various less popular but more hardcore items that get enough of conservatives together, but it's not really a majority on much? Abortion, immigration etc.?

Voter ID.

Maxim726X

If they can't do healthcare i doubt they can do the others. This is what Republicans were talking about for years, and still couldn't get it done with Republican control. Wall Street is volatile, so yeah it will drop, we are already seeing drops.

Eh I'm not sure about that.

Tax cuts may be the only thing the Freedom Caucus and mainstream Republicans can agree on... But yes, Trump's political cache is dwindling fast and if the AHCA doesn't even make it past the House his term is already largely a failure.

What right-leaning policies are things a majority of Americans like?

Was thinking about this today with the healthcare vote tomorrow etc. and all the negativity around it. Many people also say America at large "leans" right, but what conservative policies are actually popular?

Lower taxes? Guns? Do Americans (and people) as a whole just like "cheap and good" things and so that's where they get their stuff to hype people on?

Or is it more just various less popular but more hardcore items that get enough of conservatives together, but it's not really a majority on much? Abortion, immigration etc.?

Lower taxes is easily the biggest one, which bleeds over into other policies. (ex: single payer healthcare might be popular, but not if taxes are going to be increased, etc).

royalan

Wow...

As a minority in this country, Ive been knowing that Republicans are dirty.

But what Nunes did today is unprecedented levels of scumfuckery, even for them.

*Spit shines tin foil hat*

I'm telling y'all...kompromat

Wow...

That whole goddamn dossier is real. Every comma, period and coffee stain.

To recap:

1) Nunes runs straight to Trump/Ryan with intelligence details instead of to the investigating committee.
2) Nunes then politicizes it into a press conference, clearly under the direction of Trump so he can make it appear like Obama actually wiretapped Trump.
3) Nunes admits there were multiple FISA requests out on Trump team.

Again, this sounds an awful lot like something big is there and they're trying to get ahead of it. This is only going to make the IC even angrier.

Why do all that though? Just to make it look like Obama wiretapped Trump?

Wow...

What could be so bad that the majority of the Republican Party is willing to work with Russia to this extent?

I'm imagining some hybrid Monster story of Pizzagate, Piss Tapes, and demonic worship, because nothing else makes sense to me

kirblar

Wow...

This is blowing up way faster than Watergate did.

Putin must be happy as all fucking get out(minus the Sanctions not being lifted yet), because he's effectively destroyed all faith in American Democracy.

I pray that whatever president we get after this Disaster goes HAM on Russia with Sanctions.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why do all that though? Just to make it look like Obama wiretapped Trump?

Yes, absolutely. Trump wants to appear like he is 100% right with everything he says.

Only other thing I can think of is if the FISA stuff picked up specific details and he wanted Trump/Ryan to know what they were ahead of time, but I'm not sure if Nunes has access to that.

My guess is the IC is keeping some stuff close to the vest to test and see who isn't trustworthy.

Yes, absolutely. Trump wants to appear like he is 100% right with everything he says.

Only other thing I can think of is if the FISA stuff picked up specific details and he wanted Trump/Ryan to know what they were ahead of time, but I'm not sure if Nunes has access to that.

My guess is the IC is keeping some stuff close to the vest to test and see who isn't trustworthy.

Yup. They got rocked with the investigation revelation Monday. Nunes was trying to give the heads up so it doesn't happen again.

Well, Boehner just really liked being in charge of things.

I have no idea why Paul Ryan agreed to do it. As far as I can tell, Paul Ryan genuinely believes that Randian policies that kill poor people are great, so maybe it was in pursuit of that.

The other alternative is that everybody was always wrong to think that Paul Ryan was smart and he's actually extremely dumb, which is looking like a surprisingly strong hypothesis right now.

At the time it looked like the Democrats would hold the Presidency and he could use the Speakership to advance his career. To be honest I don't know that he was wrong, if he was not Speaker what future prospects would Ryan even have? He'd be a powerless congressman right now with no path to being anything else. Would you rather be a bad Speaker or a has-been vice presidential candidate?

Morts

So Nunes runs to the White House and tells them what the IC has, but how does that help the White House? They can't start shredding documents the IC already knows about. Unless they start shredding related documents...

I'm just trying to get get my mind around how fucked this is.

pigeon

Banned
At the time it looked like the Democrats would hold the Presidency and he could use the Speakership to advance his career. To be honest I don't know that he was wrong, if he was not Speaker what future prospects would Ryan even have? He'd be a powerless congressman right now with path to being anything else. Would you rather be a bad Speaker or a has-been vice presidential candidate?

The latter, for sure. People talked a lot about running Ryan for president before he became Speaker. Chair of Ways and Means was a much better place for him to burnish his false reputation for even-handedness and wonkiness. No House Speaker has ever gone on to do anything else in politics because it's a terrible job and everybody hates you afterwards.

Would doing that make it seem extremely unethical and make the FBI and IC not trust him? That would make them not share more intel.

The latter, for sure. People talked a lot about running Ryan for president before he became Speaker. Chair of Ways and Means was a much better place for him to burnish his false reputation for even-handedness and wonkiness. No House Speaker has ever gone on to do anything else in politics because it's a terrible job and everybody hates you afterwards.

Ryan wasn't going to be a Presidential candidate either way. You really think anyone would have cared about him come 2024? Living off being Romney's running mate was no future. The guy probably believed that he would be an effective Speaker, and even being a poor one is better than just staying as a committee chairman with little hope of being anything else. If we're talking about historical prospects, being a house representative at all isn't doing you any favors. If he wanted to be President he should have waited until 2018 and beat Baldwin.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Schiff always tries to stay really diplomatic since he's the lead Dem on that committee. He won't lose him temper but he'll say, things like "this investigation cannot be conducted in a credible way."

Yes, his role is to be diplomatic. The other dems are the ones who should shout the subtext that Nunes is a crook

Wow...

And he did it openly. Then told everybody about it.

I wonder the IC could have done this on purpose knowing that Nunes can't be trusted. The information that Nunes revealed is not actually not beneficial to the Trump administration. The IC and FBI already have this information and they could have leaked that information themselves to the media. Nunes outed himself and he gave out pretty concerning information to the public. Trump may be vindicated, but he really shouldn't because the IC/FBI has some evidence on him and it is not really clear on what he is going to do with that information anyway since it doesn't really indicat that Obama did it and it isn't like that Trump can do much against Obama with this information besides say he is right, so what( that he says he is right when he is not)?

Seems like really stupid move by Nunes and it really only makes Trump feel better about himself.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Comey might have Trumped Trump.

If they gave it to Nunes to see his reaction, and he literally ran to Trump without telling anyone else, that's one hell of a smoking gun

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm going to sue Trump and the Republicans for damages. I can't very well concentrate on grad school while they're delegitimizing the federal government.

I love how McCain's statement about China reining in North Korea and their leader being unhinged could be easily be applied to the Republicans and Trump.

Putin must be happy as all fucking get out(minus the Sanctions not being lifted yet), because he's effectively destroyed all faith in American Democracy.

I pray that whatever president we get after this Disaster goes HAM on Russia with Sanctions.

TBH he probably wasn't looking for it to be THIS effective and at least wanted it to look a lot cleaner and a lot less ham-fisted.

Like I'm surprised he hasn't passed word to Trump like " ffs you can talk SOME shit about us to make it look good"

Chumley

Banned
9gNJvHs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom