• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A modern WPA or CCC? Would also benefit from being racially integrated this time around.

A WPA to do what? Builds roads you just said you don't want them to use?

I'm not having a go - I broadly agree with you. I'm just saying it's a very careful topic and you have to be making sure at every stage you're looking at it from their own eyes, and not those of the paternalist liberal elite.

Ogodei

Is the way we feel now how Republicans felt during Obama's 8 years? That everything the president said was stupid and a lie and that he only did things that would help himself and his allies?

No, because there's no comparing the two. How Republicans felt under Obama was better corrected to how Dems felt under Bush: i hate what he's doing but he's not a threat to the country or a walking embarrassment.

Disliking Trump is every Americans' patriotic duty, basically. He's a threat to the state at home and a threat to our standing abroad, and the people who are willing to support or downplay that are taking crazy pills or have something to gain.

Is the way we feel now how Republicans felt during Obama's 8 years? That everything the president said was stupid and a lie and that he only did things that would help himself and his allies?
I mean yes.

But everything Obama said was factually verifiable, safe for an occasional misspeak here or there. Trump is up there talking about Andrew Jackson opposing the Civil War.

Obama by any neutral standard is an intelligent man. Trump is not.

This is an area where I need to check my bias, because sure, a lot of right-wingers felt this way about Obama. But like, come on. Romney and McCain were at least educated people. I would have admitted that at any point during those elections.

Also what they(^) said. I think of that scene from A Series of Unfortunate Events comparing rational and irrational fears.

Man that Face the Nation interview...

Somebody needs to grow balls and kamikaze a Trump interview. Just be brutal and call him out strongly and describe him as the liar and amateur he is.

Trump would either slink and "cuck" himself or he would get into a yelling match that he would certainly lose.

The man is insane.

Loxley

Good, fuck that asshole. I live in southeast Wisconsin and my dad and his brother are both super conservative Republicans - they fuckin' love this guy. A few weeks ago we were at a family gathering for my grandmother's (their mother) 90th birthday. And they were both talking about how if he ran for office they'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

As the only liberal in my immediate family, I did what I usually do - kept my mouth shut and pretended to ignore what they were saying but man was it hard.

pigeon

Banned
A WPA to do what? Builds roads you just said you don't want them to use?

I'm not having a go - I broadly agree with you. I'm just saying it's a very careful topic and you have to be making sure at every stage you're looking at it from their own eyes, and not those of the paternalist liberal elite.

I wish you were banned from this thread until you were willing to acknowledge that racism exists

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gillibrand confirmed she isn't running in 2020? Not sure how I feel about that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jenna Lifhits‏ @jlifhits

SFRC chair Corker says Russia sanctions bill won't get done this work period, Iran sanctions will

Well, that's shocking news.

Plinko

Everyone is going to 'confirm" they're not running right now. It means nothing.

That's what I meant when I said "not sure how I feel about that." Makes absolutely no sense to rule out anything at this point.

Man that Face the Nation interview...

Somebody needs to grow balls and kamikaze a Trump interview. Just be brutal and call him out strongly and describe him as the liar and amateur he is.

Trump would either slink and "cuck" himself or he would get into a yelling match that he would certainly lose.

The man is insane.

He'd walk out before it got to that. He'd hit back with the interview being "fake news" and not worth his time and leave. Then he'd push to change libel laws again so that he could sue.

Driving sucks, it's dangerous, and bad for the environment, I support basically any policy to lower how much we use cars.

Well the problem isn't so much the endorsement itself as it is the political infrastructure that comes with such an endorsement. Of course, removing the donor class as a gate already means the field is more open and people will be less likely to coalesce around the inevitable candidate for fear of not getting a job in the future, so maybe it just wouldn't be less of an issue if we already remove one of the gates.

You have to be careful with statements like that. Truck driver is still the most common job in a majority of American states. Increasing the cost of driving is a direct attack on the working classes, and without offering any serious alternative this is exactly the sort of thing that leads to them voting Trump rather than Clinton - it's all very well and good saving the environment, but that's their job and their livelihood and how they provide for their kids.

As I mention a lot, self-driving environmentally friendly vehicles are inevitable and on the horizon, so Bonen will basically get this and there's not going to be a choice for those truck drivers that Crab is mentioning. There aren't even enough retrained jobs to match the cascading effects (e.g. a world of mostly self-driving cars doesn't need many mechanics).

I often think things like UBI are going to only be possible once the (self-driving) rubber meets the road.

I don't get the hard on people have for driving stick

My truck in high school was stick and after like two months of driving with it it was mentally identical to driving an automatic

Of course it is mentally, but physically you're actually doing something instead of passively sitting there.

As a teacher, it's why I write my stuff on a chalkboard instead of using PowerPoint if I can help it. Gotta be doing stuff.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
As I mention a lot, self-driving environmentally friendly vehicles are inevitable and on the horizon, so Bonen will basically get this and there's not going to be a choice for those truck drivers that Crab is mentioning. There aren't even enough retrained jobs to match the cascading effects (e.g. a world of mostly self-driving cars doesn't need many mechanics).

I often think things like UBI are going to only be possible once the (self-driving) rubber meets the road.

I mean, yes, eventually this will be true. But in the meanwhile, given that huge numbers of relatively poor people are dependent upon truck driving, "we'll increase road tax!" is not a winning policy. I don't think it's politically a good idea to just try waiting them out - angry people lashing out can do a lot of damage in that meanwhile. You need some kind of short-term response, too.

pigeon

Banned
more like I just fucking hate driving because it sucks and is boring

I agree, driving is fucking intolerable. It's astonishing to me that we came up with this idea where we just give everybody two-ton metal destruction machines starting at the age of 16 and tell them they have to do an extremely tedious task with it in order to literally get anywhere in the world. Yet another example of how past generations had extremely low opinions of the value of human life and human brainpower.

I mean, yes, eventually this will be true. But in the meanwhile, given that huge numbers of relatively poor people are dependent upon truck driving, "we'll increase road tax!" is not a winning policy. I don't think it's politically a good idea to just try waiting them out - angry people lashing out can do a lot of damage in that meanwhile. You need some kind of short-term response, too.

I think it'll happen faster than you seem to think (as I see no reason it's not moving at smartphone pace), and I don't really see an option in the meantime that isn't just lying, which I'm hesitant to endorse (I'd vote for someone like Sanders but his comments on manufacturing having a future are 100% bunk and so we'd have to pull the rug out eventually).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom