• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
Sweet Jesus

DD22aEtVoAEmcUh.jpg

Does this guy have anything better to do with his life

GOOD QUESTION, DONALD 🤔🤔

The chances of the GOP learning from a come-to-Jesus reckoning out of this latest debacle is slim to yeah right till the "more Rightwing than thou" conga line encouraging it is busted up.

But when you consider the lifestyle, you'd expect him to look like those people who ride around on scooters. Just reiterates how much of this stuff depends on genetics.

He did in Italy, remember?

The GOP will never openly admit they fucked up; it wouldn't be their style. They might, however, alter the rules of their primaries to include superdelegates, which would've prevented this entire mess.

The GOP will never openly admit they fucked up; it wouldn't be their style. They might, however, alter the rules of their primaries to include superdelegates, which would've prevented this entire mess.

I'm not convinced it would. They're beholden to his base. What would have happened if they stole the nomination from him?

It's moments like these that really drive home how fucking dumb part of the country is. He's going to wind up killing a bunch of people and leaving the next guy to clean up the mess.

then that person starts to clean up the mess and it's not fast enough and we're back to square one.

it's the worlds worst fucking carousel.

Ogodei

Twitter rumor says one of the CBO drafts going around is a draft where the states get a new opt-out option: to opt out of Medicaid entirely.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Twitter rumor says one of the CBO drafts going around is a draft where the states get a new opt-out option: to opt out of Medicaid entirely.

Jesus fucking christ, that can't be serious. They can't be that dumb. Is Rand Paul's vote worth that much?

teiresias

I hope it's true, not that I think that would get anywhere near passing, but that I want the CBO to have to release the absolutely horrendous numbers that would entail and the media jump all over it.

I'm not convinced it would. They're beholden to his base. What would have happened if they stole the nomination from him?

They didn't really need superdelegates, though. They would just have needed to get rid of the winner-take-all/most states that kick in after Super Tuesday, so outsider candidates can't game split fields to pull way ahead in the delegate count. A Trump that goes in only a few hundred delegates ahead of Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio is not certain to get the nomination at all.

Moreover, given how decisively the "Republicans fall in line" canard was proven this year, I simply don't buy that Trump's fanbase would have stayed home and let "gun- and Bible-hating Hillary" waltz into the White House without a fight.

That move would, with absolutely no hyperbole, kill not only innocent people but the Republican Party itself. Cutting these programs elicits enough backlash. Effectively ending one would be disastrous for Republicans at the federal and state level. Medicaid covers 20% of all people in this country and almost 50% of births, and I wager a disproportionate portion of that coverage occurs in poor red states.

The rumor can't be true. They may be cruel, craven, and conniving, but they can't be completely brainless. They would not survive nightly stories of mass deaths and increased infant mortality - screams of "fake news" be damned.

That move would, with absolutely no hyperbole, kill not only innocent people but the Republican Party itself. Cutting these programs elicits enough backlash. Effectively ending one would be disastrous for Republicans at the federal and state level. Medicaid covers 20% of all people in this country and almost 50% of births, and I wager a disproportionate portion of that coverage occurs in poor red states.

The rumor can't be true. They may be cruel, craven, and conniving, but they can't be completely brainless. They would not survive nightly stories of mass deaths and increased infant mortality - screams of "fake news" be damned.

The question is whether there's a calculus that few to no states would actually choose to do so, but putting the option in place clinches the conservative/libertarian vote.

Shit like this is why I can only extend my begruding respect for Rand Paul being largely solid on social and foreign policy issues so far, the dude is a NUTJOB when it comes to economics.

Lo-Volt

Out of curiosity, can you name a rumormonger? I'm curious who thinks this is so.

Also, I almost wonder if the idea is to poison the bill so severely that it totally fails. A lot of the party's elected officials would run, not walk, away from a provision that would wreak so much havoc if adopted.

I'm not trying to be figurative. It would absolutely break a social contract in a lot of the country. If anything, this condition would make for an even deeper schism within the country on a basic issue. What would people who end up living in the wrong states even do, short of the pre-ACA behavior of going to the ER in a dire way and going bankrupt or leaving behind massive bills that would go unpaid, harming local health systems? Would people finally pick up sticks, regardless of the cost?

For that to be even plausible, though, you'd already have to be a subscriber to the "McConnell is happy for this to fail so he can do something else" school of thought in the first place. That provision reads like a dare for moderates to murder this bill in an alley, really.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The question is whether there's a calculus that few to no states would actually choose to do so, but putting the option in place clinches the conservative/libertarian vote.

Shit like this is why I can only extend my begruding respect for Rand Paul being largely solid on social and foreign policy issues so far, the dude is a NUTJOB when it comes to economics.

Social issues are economic issues. The two are generally intertwined to the point where they greatly influence each other at the deepest levels. So I can't give him any respect on that stuff, simply because he wants to tear down the very things that should be beefed up to help fix those issues he seems to care about.

Christ GOP, just write something weak as hell that's a faux-replacement to claim victory and put your fucking tax cuts in the tax bill. How hard could it be to write a bill that's roughly neutral in terms of insured? Even "just" a few million lost and it wouldn't look so bad! But no, need to go all out for some reason. This is the equivalent of if Obama refused to settle for the senate ACA and demanded single-payer instead versus nothing at all.

I feel bad calling the ACA an entitlement program since it proper doesn't create anything, but it is insidiously clever in making people enjoy having health care versus not. /kiddingnotkidding
He's softball setting us up for the eventual preventive strike against NK, so he can come back and say "China and South Korea wouldn't do it, so we did!"
China is too indifferent/lazy, and new RoK regeime doesn't want violence. Trump will look like the villain regardless unless NK actually attacks first. Like actual attack attack, not just missiles in the extremely vague direction of or subs obnoxiously following around other ships.

Social issues are economic issues. The two are generally intertwined to the point where they greatly influence each other at the deepest levels. So I can't give him any respect on that stuff, simply because he wants to tear down the very things that should be beefed up to help fix those issues he seems to care about.

I agree, but ending the drug war/private prison system, curbing police brutality, ending civil forfeiture, winding down domestic surveillance, etc. don't necessarily have an economic component in the sense that there needs to be wealth redistribution program in place to solve them, and Paul is often semi-solid to solid on these issues.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Christ GOP, just write something weak as hell that's a faux-replacement to claim victory and put your fucking tax cuts in the tax bill. How hard could it be to write a bill that's roughly neutral in terms of insured? Even "just" a few million lost and it wouldn't look so bad! But no, need to go all out for some reason. This is the equivalent of if Obama refused to settle for the senate ACA and demanded single-payer instead versus nothing at all.

I feel bad calling the ACA an entitlement program since it proper doesn't create anything, but it is insidiously clever in making people enjoy having health care versus not. /kiddingnotkidding

If they were smart they'd change nothing but the name and be done with it. That way they can take all the credit when the Dems eventually get back in power and fix it up for them.

I agree, but ending the drug war/private prison system, curbing police brutality, ending civil forfeiture, winding down domestic surveillance, etc. don't necessarily have an economic component in the sense that there needs to be wealth redistribution program in place to solve them, and Paul is often semi-solid to solid on these issues.

I'll believe he is when he votes that way on a bill where his vote matters. So far he hasn't really broken with the GOP in any place where it could result in a good change. Even with the healthcare vote he just wants a worse bill. I just don't trust the guy at all.

teiresias

I'm not sure the opt out would be possible under reconciliation.

Also I don't think any state would opt out.

There are a couple of crazy as hell GOP legislatures I can see insisting on opting out, though I sort of doubt any GOP governor would go along with it.

There are a couple of crazy as hell GOP legislatures I can see insisting on opting out, though I sort of doubt any GOP governor would go along with it.

Just say Kansas and West Virginia. Although Kansas is finally fighting back against Brownback's agenda, so who knows. I could see some other places line maybe Kentucky and Oklahoma trying. As long as LePage is around Maine as well.

Ogodei

Opt out of Medicaid in lieu of a tax voucher would still pose immense problems for elderly care given how nursing home care is funded in this country.

The scary part about that is it's all on the governor to do it, so some term-limited wingnut governor could implement it with no fear of repercussion, and it could *never* be undone (assuming the law itself wasn't overturned for a second).

It's the kind of spiteful insanity that you expect from the modern GOP. Mean, antidemocratic, and driven by voodoo economics.

Even if nobody ever was stupid enough to do it, any GOP Senator who voted for the possibility of that happening would kiss their careers goodbye.

*really* curious to see how this shakes out later this week.

Do you went a Democratic supermajority? Because this is how you get a Democratic supermajority.
I do, but not like this.

Hell I don't want any version of AHCA passing. Let them tweak ACA if they want, I just want it intact so the next Democratic president can more seriously reform it into something universal.

I do, but not like this.

Hell I don't want any version of AHCA passing. Let them tweak ACA if they want, I just want it intact so the next Democratic president can more seriously reform it into something universal.

Well according to S4P, Democrats need to stop talking about fixing the ACA and exclusively talk about implementing Single Payer. Because that's totally going to work.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
He's softball setting us up for the eventual preventive strike against NK, so he can come back and say "China and South Korea wouldn't do it, so we did!"

Does he even have the authority to do a preemptive strike? Congress is even looking to restrict his military powers more, repealing the 2001 "Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists"

Does he even have the authority to do a preemptive strike? Congress is even looking to restrict his military powers more, repealing the 2001 "Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists"

NK is on the State Department list of State Sponsors of Terrorism. Which falls under the AUMF, so, yes. *gulp*

There's that part of the new DoD budget to strip the AUMF but it won't kick in until 240 days after Trump signs it, if he signs it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
NK is on the State Department list of State Sponsors of Terrorism. Which falls under the AUMF, so, yes. *gulp*

There's that part of the new DoD budget to strip the AUMF but it won't kick in until 240 days after Trump signs it, if he signs it.

He can't use the 2001 Act, that one specifies you can only go after the groups responsible for 9/11. The reason Bush/Obama were able to use it in a greater scope was using the argument that the new organizations we are going after were derivatives of the ones responsible for 9/11 (Which is kinda shaky logic, and likely why Congress is fed up with that old authorization)

Here is the relevant section:
IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.

Unless Trump is going to come out with new striking evidence that North Korea aided Al'Qaeda, he would need to use a different justification.

Now, there may be old laws on the book from the time of the Korean War he may be able to use, but I don't know of any specific ones.

So I'll ask again, is there anything that gives the President authority to do a preemptive strike on North Korea?

He wants that sweet boost George Bush got.

I think only the JFK strategy could salvage his approval.

Xando

Since they apparently tested a ICBM for the first time today a preemptive strike would be even more foolish since it now threatens SK, Japan and Alaska.

He’ll find a way to attack them.

Well according to S4P, Democrats need to stop talking about fixing the ACA and exclusively talk about implementing Single Payer. Because that's totally going to work.
I kind of want Trump to fail just for personal validation (I acknowledge this is a little sick).

So many Sanders supporters have pointed to Trump's win as proof that you only win by going to one extreme or the other, and playing to the middle is a losing game. Not only in terms of electoral politics, but in governance as well. But being a diehard ideologue makes doing anything extremely difficult, and being a complete moron like Trump makes it nigh impossible.

You ask why Obama went for ACA instead of single-payer? Because now it's almost impossible to repeal. AHCA functions almost exactly like ACA except way shittier. Imagine a world where Obama passed single-payer and it was repealed and replaced with ACA. Instead we can keep moving forward.

You know... with the time stamp on Trump's NK tweet... did he scoop the entire international press? In other words, he felt like sharing that classified military intel before going over it with anyone else? As in, someone handed him a memo and he immediately picked up his phone?

That's........... bad... but I suppose expected at this point.

You know... with the time stamp on Trump's NK tweet... did he scoop the entire international press? In other words, he felt like sharing that classified military intel before going over it with anyone else? As in, someone handed him a memo and he immediately picked up his phone?

That's........... bad... but I suppose expected at this point.

It's too bad Hillary couldn't have been trusted with classified information, like Donald can.

*slowly turns to camera*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom