• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
russia literally hacked our elections and there's nothing stopping them from doing so again. let's throw money at them because they promised a ceasefire in one specific part of syria

Blader

Sorry, man, I can't support this cold war with Russia. It's de-escalation across the board, this totally seems in line with something that Obama would have done btw.

Fully on board, we don't even know what we gave up, if anything.

If Obama wanted to ease sanctions on Russia over Ukraine to strike a ceasefire in Syria, then Obama would have done it

"Something that Obama would have done" seems like a meaningless what-if to imagine given how we have a years-long track record of what Obama did.

PBY

Banned
Ya'll have gone full hawk on this Russia stuff, I can't follow you there. We don't even know if the sanctions have been lifted, and we have a ceasefire.

This is a good thing.

doesn't matter if you don't support the cold war, it seems like cold war 2 the election boogalo has started with or without your support.

the ceasefire is meaningless, we haven't been blasting each other.

Sanctions need more teeth, we need even more sanctions on russia after there massive election interference, not just in the us but across the world.

Sanctions have crippled there economy, more sanctions will get them to stop this shit, its the ONLY thing they react to.

PBY

Banned
doesn't matter if you don't support the cold war, it seems like cold war 2 the election boogalo has started with or without your support.

the ceasefire is meaningless, we haven't been blasting each other.

Sanctions need more teeth, we need even more sanctions on russia after there massive election interference, not just in the us but across the world.

Sanctions have crippled there economy, more sanctions will get them to stop this shit, its the ONLY thing they react to.

This is madness to me.

Isn't there some way the Senate could ratify the sanctions as a treaty so as to keep Trump from touching them? Based on the way they voted on the last Russia sanctions bill, this might be the best way to keep some form of discouraging Russian hacking until we can get our shit together over here.

barber

Sorry, man, I can't support this cold war with Russia. It's de-escalation across the board, this totally seems in line with something that Obama would have done btw.

Hey, I am all in with de-escalation with Russia, like when it was tried in the 2000s and actually was successful. But now? They have invaded a sovereign country, hacked in the election of your contry and are the main guys keeping Asad. De-escalation requires for them to surrender positions, not basically giving lip service.

Ogodei

You can't and shouldn't get rewarded for de-escalating something that you started in the first place. That's bush league, North Korean style brinksmanship.

Russia gets sanctions relief when Ukraine's territorial integrity is restored (though i'm willing to look the other way on Crimea because the people there might legitimately want to be part of Russia, mostly about getting out of Donbas).

PBY

Banned

Blader

Ya'll have gone full hawk on this Russia stuff, I can't follow you there. We don't even know if the sanctions have been lifted, and we have a ceasefire.

This is a good thing.

RUSSIA HACKED INTO OUR GODDAMN ELECTION AS AN INFLUENCE OP. AND IT WORKED.

Jesus Christ dude, there's no cold war hawking happening here. We were attacked on one of our most fundamental levels as a democracy. The response to that should not be to lift a unrelated set of sanctions on our attacker, which we know Trump has been desperate to do for months.

Isn't there some way the Senate could ratify the sanctions as a treaty so as to keep Trump from touching them? Based on the way they voted on the last Russia sanctions bill, this might be the best way to keep some form of discouraging Russian hacking until we can get our shit together over here.

Probably and I do expect this to be the case. I don't think the sanctions are going away anytime soon.

But.. wouldn't you rather have a cease fire than sanctions?

No. Letting Russia invade and annex land with no repercussions is bad. The US subverting itself to Russian interests in Syria doesn't change that.

This is a good thing.

It's not going full hawk to say that appeasing the first European invasion and annexation since WW2 is a bad thing. It's really not.

This is literally the logic that people in Ukraine used to be friends with Russia until 2013... As a result Ukraine was not prepared to deal with Russia when it switched into full USSR mode. If Putin wants something he WILL get it. Making deals with him is only going to make his life easier.

Seems like all the people telling others to not worry about Russia are probably the ones who have the least to lose if we start sliding even further into Russian-style bigotry in this country.

I mean, I just want some assurance from them then that I won't one day end up in a Russia-style gay concentration camp from us being so buddy-buddy with them.

Unbelievable that people still think what russia did was nothing. If this were during the cold war that would've been considered an act of war.

Sanction the hell out of them, even more fund gas pipelines from the EU to the border eu states and non eu states to further cripple russia's natural gas and oil economy.

In a stand off with a bully you don't go passive and give, you fight the bully.

Didn't Russia go after the US while many of the crippling sanctions by way of executive order and congressional action were in effect? The ones Obama put in place right before he left were largely symbolic.

PBY

Banned
Unbelievable that people still think what russia did was nothing. If this were during the cold war that would've been considered an act of war.

Sanction the hell out of them, even more fund gas pipelines from the EU to the border eu states and non eu states to further cripple russia's natural gas and oil economy.

In a stand off with a bully you don't go passive and give, you fight the bully.

"You fight the bully"??

Jesus christ man.

The whole reason we're at this point now is because everyone thought the Cold War was over and Russia was beyond it but it turned out they were just biding their time and building grudges over their loss. Now the fruit of that scheming is coming to fruition.

Blader

PBY's transformation from "I don't want Russia to crowd out our messaging on healthcare" to Russian appeasement, in real time across PoliGAF threads, is kinda funny in its own way.

Trump Putin meeting reaches 2 hour mark, our @Kevinliptakcnn reports.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/883358408052797440

10840402.gif

barber

Didn't Russia go after the US while many of the crippling sanctions by way of executive order and congressional action were in effect? The ones Obama put in place right before he left were largely symbolic.

As can be seen in Iran, sanctions take a time to have a full effect on the economy, but right now with the petrol prices and the sanctions, Russia's economy is not looking good

PBY

Banned
PBY's transformation from "I don't want Russia to crowd out our messaging on healthcare" to Russian appeasement, in real time across PoliGAF threads, is kinda funny in its own way.

I like this ceasefire and think its a good thing =/= appeasement.

You all realize more intense sanctions is like, squarely, a GOP position?

The whole reason we're at this point now is because everyone thought the Cold War was over and Russia was beyond it but it turned out they were just biding their time and building grudges over their loss. Now the fruit of that scheming is coming to fruition.

We're basically living the plot of Red Alert 2 right now.

Blader

They haven't been biding their time since '91, their economy and quality of life has just been awful and Putin is very adept at getting them to ignore their problems at home by channeling their frustrations into the antagonist abroad. Sounds like someone else I know!

This is a good thing.

Russia violated our national sovereignty by interfering with the Presidential election. If it wasn't for the presence of nuclear weapons that should be considered an act of war. This isn't something we can turn a blind eye to.

"Ceasefire" is appeasement. I mean there are multiple examples that show that Russia doesn't give a shit about ceasefire and you still assume that THIS time it will work. It's just exchanging something tangible (whatever Putin asks for) for an empty promise.

Blader

Lifting Ukraine sanctions without any change in their Ukraine policy -- not to mention doing so in the aftermath of a Russian cyberattack launched against our democracy -- for another toothless ceasefire is appeasement. You're literally giving them what they want and not punishing them for what they've done!

As can be seen in Iran, sanctions take a time to have a full effect on the economy, but right now with the petrol prices and the sanctions, Russia's economy is not looking good

It seems to me that they continue to do what they want to do. Their economy wasn't great in 2016 according to official statistics and they still launched one of the most damaging cyberattacks in human history.

PBY

Banned
Russia violated our national sovereignty by interfering with the Presidential election. If it wasn't for the presence of nuclear weapons that should be considered an act of war. This isn't something we can turn a blind eye to.

We know they tried to hack us. Obama placed fairly weak sanctions on them very late.

Blame Obama then for how my interpretation of how serious this hacking was and the level of threat Russia actually presents.

We have sanctions on individuals and companies, not blanket economic sanction like with Iran/NK. Those target sanctions we have on Russian officials and government are largely meant to agitate and scare off investment. I've said it before but we need to move to broad economic sanctions on Russia, Putin's empire is inseparable from the Russian economy at this point so if he wants to behave the North Korea, then he should be treated as such.

We know they tried to hack us. Obama placed fairly weak sanctions on them very late.

Blame Obama then for how my interpretation of how serious this hacking was and the level of threat Russia actually presents.

Dude, this is literally a Trump talking point. Like, word for word.

If you think this is de-escalation Putin fooled you just like he wants.

You understand that appease to Putin that Trump will not only give the hackers back the compounds on our soil that Obama took from them, he will try to drop the sanctions that were imposed over Crimea/Ukraine?

For nothing.

And Putin will use this to cause more atrocities.

https://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2017/04/12/another-failed-ceasefire-in-ukraine/
Because of this.
EDIT: I stand by my friends of the Balkan countries like Estonia and Latvia, until Russia stops trying to get land from sovereign countries and pays radical parties along Europe...

There have been countless ceasefire announcements in the past. What makes this one different?

This is literally the logic that people in Ukraine used to be friends with Russia until 2013... As a result Ukraine was not prepared to deal with Russia when it switched into full USSR mode. If Putin wants something he WILL get it. Making deals with him is only going to make his life easier.
Pretty much. No way this ceasefire will last more than a month or two. It's completely empty posturing. Unless we're just going to ignore Putin's entire history, which is either just being incredibly disingenuous or incredibly naive. I see no reason to humor either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom