• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
You should research into Ken Starr's time as special prosecutor of Clinton if you want the answer.

It could last for years before anything substantial is found.

I mean the Congressional Whitewater investigation lasted from 1993 to only like six months before Clinton left office.

The Whitewater investigations only took years because the Clintons didn't actually do anything illegal.

I think it would be far more likely that Trump would step down or be impeached due to something happening later than as a result of the 2016 election itself. That being said, I have to imagine that Mueller and co. are building a serious case, but I think everything will be done to stop them from doing anything with it.

Hope for the best.

Prepare for the worst.

Scirrocco

Don't count on it happening during Trump's term. This is bigger than Watergate in scope so logic says it takes longer.

Maybe, maybe not. The investigation won't have to be 100% complete for them to start charging the smaller fish, like Page and Flynn, so we might even see them charged this year. Once that starts happening they won't be able to pretend its all fake news. and hopefully the external nature of this threat speeds it up.

Watergate, for all its seriousness. Was a purely internal affair, involving one political party dicking over another. The security and stability of the country was never in danger. Stupid Watergate involves potential threats to the very core of this nation. Hopefully that provides a bit of urgency and speeds things up a bit.

But yeah, it'll still be months before we start to get anything sadly.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I'm gonna wager we'll see definite conclusions and actions before the midterms next year. The FBI has been on this for a fair amount of time before Mueller took over and there's also intelligence sharing from other countries to help fill in gaps. Look at the team he's assembled already, there's certainly a sense of importance there and with that comes an urge to try and not waste time. I'm sure Mueller is aware of the damage that could be caused to the country the longer we're in the dark, particularly with the elections in 2018 looming and Russia trying to interfere again.

Ogodei

This place where i have a board game meetup has TVs in the back with CNN, ESPN, MSNBC, and Fox Business, and i caught snippets of Lou Dobbs while playing Terraform Mars.

Y'all aren't getting the Republicans to flip. The guy posted a poll that said "Did Trump's dominance of the G20 put the Globalists in their place? ( ) Yes ( ) No"

GOP propaganda machine isn't going to pivot away from that fast enough to get an impeachment before 2020, not even if a smoking gun were found tomorrow.

Tech travels faster these days, so logic would not decide that. And not during Trump's term? lol what.

Tech travels faster, but it really doesn't do too much to affect the speed of a massive investigation like this. They will be able to sort information quicker, but that will be offset by the massive amounts of information they will have to sift through. The core parts of the investigation still rely on old fashioned techniques. One on one interviews still take the same amount of time they always have.

This place where i have a board game meetup has TVs in the back with CNN, ESPN, MSNBC, and Fox Business, and i caught snippets of Lou Dobbs while playing Terraform Mars.

Y'all aren't getting the Republicans to flip. The guy posted a poll that said "Did Trump's dominance of the G20 put the Globalists in their place? ( ) Yes ( ) No"

GOP propaganda machine isn't going to pivot away from that fast enough to get an impeachment before 2020, not even if a smoking gun were found tomorrow.
I mean, they might, if whoever is in charge of this BS is convinced that carrying water for Trump will hurt them more than flipping will. It's not like these folks have any core ideology they're following. There has to be some top GOP strategists behind the scenes sketching out the best talking points to use in the event of party catastrophe, and they'll change on a dime if needed.

It's a tough situation, though, and a bit of a self-perpetuating cycle. Trump's numbers stay high with the core base because of boosting by GOP propaganda outlets like Fox, so Fox et al. stay behind Trump, which keeps the base supporting Trump, and so on.

I'm basically convinced that the only way for Trump to get taken down is for the right-wing media to turn against him, because unless that happens, the spineless Republicans in Congress are going to be more afraid of being primaried by their nutcase base then they are of losing re-election. We're so fucked.

Also wasn't Lou Dobbs considered somewhat reasonable at some point? When did he turn crazy? Was it Obama? All I've heard from him lately is shit like what you said and this:
TDRiwQXm.jpg

jtb

Banned
I mean, they might, if whoever is in charge of this BS is convinced that carrying water for Trump will hurt them more than flipping will. It's not like these folks have any core ideology they're following. There has to be some top GOP strategists behind the scenes sketching out the best talking points to use in the event of party catastrophe, and they'll change on a dime if needed.

It's a tough situation, though, and a bit of a self-perpetuating cycle. Trump's numbers stay high with the core base because of boosting by GOP propaganda outlets like Fox, so Fox et al. stay behind Trump, which keeps the base supporting Trump, and so on.

I'm basically convinced that the only way for Trump to get taken down is for the right-wing media to turn against him, because unless that happens, the spineless Republicans in Congress are going to be more afraid of being primaried by their nutcase base then they are of losing re-election. We're so fucked.

Also wasn't Lou Dobbs considered somewhat reasonable at some point? When did he turn crazy? Was it Obama? All I've heard from him lately is shit like what you said and this:
TDRiwQXm.jpg

It's low hanging fruit. He can do it in his sleep and it pays better.

New defense i've seen gaining popularity among conservatives is that russia didnt technically alter any votes so its not a story. Denying russian involvement/Trump collusion is fading away.

Guess who's getting to sit at the world leader table at the G20 summit

DENFYmqWAAEe_Sc.jpg

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/883626606698397696

Jeez I've never seen someone avoid politics so badly.

Edit: I know there is no deader horse to beat but srsly just *imagine* the reaction if Chelsea Clinton took a chair at G20 in Hillary's place

(more amusingly, imagine it during Bill's term)

(also imagine there were G20 summits during Bill's term)

I hope to god Mueller has something that implicates Ivanka in some sort of corruption. I really don't want to have a future Ivanka Trump for President and that seems like what she wants.

Maybe

TDRiwQXm.jpg

New defense i've seen gaining popularity among conservatives is that russia didnt technically alter any votes so its not a story. Denying russian involvement/Trump collusion is fading away.

I constantly waver between "is this outlandish defense coming from a place of desperation or strength?"

FiggyCal

Banned
Is "globalist" the new buzzword among republicans? I heard my dad use that word recently and I was kind of surprised - I thought it was an Alex Jones thing. I'm assuming it is, because of the Lou Dobbs poll posted above.

UberTag

Is "globalist" the new buzzword among republicans? I heard my dad use that word recently and I was kind of surprised - I thought it was an Alex Jones thing. I'm assuming it is, because of the Lou Dobbs poll posted above.
You act as if InfoWars and Breitbart aren't setting the talking points in motion for Fox News to then adopt and convey to their loyal audience of sheeple.

Alex Jones things yesterday become the new buzzword of the right tomorrow.

FiggyCal

Banned
It's is weird that we are told to accept Trump as president, but the GOP and the Republicans didn't accept Obama as one?

I forgot who exactly said it, but I was watching some Fox News program and one of the hosts had the audacity to say: "Republicans endured Obama for 8 years, Democrats should do the same for Trump" (or something along those lines). I almost had a heart attack.

I forgot who exactly said it, but I was watching some Fox News program and one of the hosts had the audacity to say: "Republicans endured Obama for 8 years, Democrats should do the same for Trump" (or something along those lines). I almost had a heart attack.

Jesus Christ. That is taking it to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom