• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Reading that article, it reminds me how every now and then Trump tries to bring up some Russian Connection with Hillary and Uranium. I am wondering if the Russian's did give Trump "Damaging information", but the information they gave just flat out didn't stick where the email scandal did.

Of course we should appeal to them with better messaging/policy/etc., but at the end of the day, voters have agency.

The unspoken truth is that young voters simply have the poorest understanding of the electoral process, because they have the least exposure of participating in the process, using gov. programs, etc.
They also have no future, dying jobs market, massive student debt, can't get married, have children, afford a home or have a decent healthcare plan.

Why the fuck should they care about whether or not social security is getting cut or not. Most young people aren't even thinking past next month.

It's actually really easy to appeal to young people if you do anything to make any of those prospects about the bleak future of young Americans better. It has nothing to do with them not understanding. It's that politicians barely try to address their concerns and mostly stick with problems boomers care about

Actual footage from the WH Press Office right now;

dead2.gif

I like to think it looks something like this:

CFOYXNJ.gif

jtb

Banned
They also have no future, dying jobs market, massive student debt, can't get married, have children, afford a home or have a decent healthcare plan.

Why the fuck should they care about whether or not social security is getting cut or not. Most young people aren't even thinking past next month.

It's actually really easy to appeal to young people if you do anything to make any of those prospects about the bleak future of young Americans better. It has nothing to do with them not understanding. It's that politicians barely try to address their concerns and mostly stick with problems boomers care about

yes, only young people care about fixing the economy and fixing healthcare.

easy fixes! why didn't anyone else think of that before?

wouldn't this argument be a little more resonant if we hadn't had an entire election cycle fetishing "economic anxiety"?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hannity is running with the idea that the Trump Jr. meeting was a "setup?" Oh come on.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
old people are terrible at facebook

would be crazy if the damning evidence is somewhere in a social media account

I want to believe the only reason Trump's Twitter account hasn't been closed, is that he keeps providing more evidence for the Prosecution though it. There is also the possibility Trump has sent out DMs that have damning info in them.

yes, only young people care about fixing the economy and fixing healthcare. easy fixes! why didn't anyone else think of that before?
Older people if they were ever going to have kids already had them. Benefitted from far cheaper college tuition. Got experience in a much better jobs market. Bought a home likely long before the housing market crash. Really young people now are worse off and have far worse prospects in regards to upward mobility than their parents. So it isn't just "fixing the economy". It's directly addressing that now young people are seriously feeling the hurt of trickle down economics.

The overall "economy" getting better would be great. But it's not enough for a lot of young people who are at a disadvantage. The next candidate should be able to comminicate to young people that they understand that.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I want to believe the only reason Trump's Twitter account hasn't been closed, is that he keeps providing more evidence for the Prosecution though it. There is also the possibility Trump has sent out DMs that have damning info in them.

I wonder if some random employee at Twitter could read those?

I dont understand why Jr is getting singled out as the guy thats in big trouble when Kushner and Manafort were there too. Can someone explain?
Jr received the email from Goldstone for a meeting, and presumably it was Jr who brought in KushKush and Manafort to the meeting (because the other two were not in communication with Goldstone).

Those two are also in trouble but they can simply thrown Jr under the bus by saying "Well, Don Jr told us there's someone very important who wants us to meet. We had no idea who it was until we got there"

Political satire is dead

There is noting to make fun of. It's all been done in the past 7 months.

I'm gonna go find a nice spot in the Appalachian mountains to live out the rest of my life if anyone wants to join me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The good thing about this Trump Jr./Goldstone thing is that it gives the starting point. Mueller and company can just work forward from there. I still think GOP will do nothing on collusion, but the thing that is going to bring down the Trump family is the money connections.

This is proof that DJT Jr. didn't give a fuck about colluding but isn't technically proof that the campaign, as an organization (i.e. on the level of Trump, Flynn, Kushner, etc.), actually did such. I have a feeling the case is going to be highly circumstantial in this way.

jtb

Banned
Older people if they were ever going to have kids already had them. Benefitted from far cheaper college tuition. Got experience in a much better jobs market. Bought a home likely long before the housing market crash. Really young people now are worse off and have far worse prospects in regards to upward mobility than their parents. So it isn't just "fixing the economy". It's directly addressing that now young people are seriously feeling the hurt of trickle down economics.

The overall "economy" getting better would be great. But it's not enough for a lot of young people who are at a disadvantage. The next candidate should be able to comminicate to young people that they understand that.

Fwiw, my biggest pet peeve in politics is when people claim there are easy solutions to hard questions. What are the easy solutions? Because you keep saying it's so easy to the point where you're sounding Trumpian.

Off the top of my head, I'd wager you're talking about free college and single payer. Single payer should be the end goal, but getting there is anything but "easy." Free college is a good bumper sticker, and a terrible policy. Any others?

(also, wouldn't millenials have gotten screwed the least by the housing bubble considering they have no investment in the market and are renting at significantly higher rates than previous generations? I'm not following your narrative there, but whatever)

People are still arguing if Bernie would have won? Of course he would have.
People also like to talk about what direction they want to go from here or what they want the party to be about and focus on. But that somehow turns into "salty burnout so relitigating again", anytime anyone wants to do that.

That's some GOAT-tier "you played yourself" shit, checking in on social media to a place where you're having a meeting about covert intel. This would be like if the Watergate thieves called Nixon personally while breaking in and their phones could easily be traced via GPS to within 3 feet of the busted file cabinets.
Where is Tiffany.
Potentially the only objectively intelligent person in the family at this point. Or at least smart enough to never be caught anywhere near politics.

This is proof that DJT Jr. didn't give a fuck about colluding but isn't technically proof that the campaign, as an organization (i.e. on the level of Trump, Flynn, Kushner, etc.), actually did such. I have a feeling the case is going to be highly circumstantial in this way.

So the fact that the Campaign Manager sat in on this meeting doesn't connect it to the campaign...

I see some fundamental problems with your take.

jtb

Banned

Wasn't Manafort in the meeting also?

It certainly establishes intent to collude, publicly, for the first time.

Teggy

Jason Kander @JasonKander
·
6h

With just one phone call, the world's most powerful man could order a surrender on #Trumpcare, yet he sits in the Kremlin and does nothing.

Please be my president someday.

So the fact that the Campaign Manager sat in on this meeting doesn't connect it to the campaign...

I see some fundamental problems with your take.

There's no proof the campaign manager knew what the guy was slinging, only supposition. Perfectly LOGICAL supposition, but supposition, nevertheless, unless this leads to damning evidence (say, emails or texts obtained by subpoena). In which case, well, lol, should've used Kik, boys.

Wasn't Manafort in the meeting also?

Yes, but even though DJT Jr.'s "I didn't know what the guy was offering" alibi is kaput, it still works for Manafort and Kush Kush, technically, if they just say they didn't know what DJTJ had been told, just that he wanted to meet with someone.

It certainly establishes intent to collude, publicly, for the first time.

Absolutely, but only on the part of this one guy, not necessarily the whole campaign organization. That'll take more, damning though this be.

Emarv

Yes, but even though DJT Jr.'s "I didn't know what the guy was offering" alibi is kaput, it still works for Manafort and Kush Kush, technically, if they just say they didn't know what DJTJ had been told, just that he wanted to meet with someone.

Unless oldest Fredo accidentally sent an email to Manafort about this, too. It's so stupid we can't rule that out yet.

I heard something on NPR that bummed me out, that there is legally no statute on "collusion" or "coordination" in federal election laws. The person from lawfareblog was a total debbie downer and made it seem like there is no big prosecution coming, other than violation of cybersecurity acts, may be conspiracy.

However I wanted to hear if they can be tried for treason but the host never asked it.
My chimp-level understanding of treason is that it has to involve a nation we're at war with or enemies with, and Russia is obviously not the former, and technically not the latter.

There's no proof the campaign manager knew what the guy was slinging, only supposition. Perfectly LOGICAL supposition, but supposition, nevertheless, unless this leads to damning evidence (say, emails or texts obtained by subpoena). In which case, well, lol, should've used Kik, boys.

Absolutely, but only on the part of this one guy, not necessarily the whole campaign organization. That'll take more, damning though this be.

So during the height of the campaign at a point where Campaign Managers are working 25 hour days, Manafort just happened to waltz into a meeting where he knew nothing about what the contents of that meeting would include?

Again, I see a fundamental flaw here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom