• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
If democrats don't win the governorship in 2018, they need to pack it up. I don't know much about Whitmer, but she has a great shot with these numbers.

Can't underestimate how much of a disaster the last democrat governor was, and how potent the "look at Detroit" talking point is there.

kirblar

NYT's rope a dope with these staggered releases is incredible.
Well we clearly can't operate like the Clinton campaign did, so do the opposite.
The GOP approach to these things - "Whatever they did, do the opposite!" is not a good one! Not that the Clinton campaign didn't do a ton of shit wrong, but you have to correct the right things. Clinton losing doesn't mean that nominating Sanders would have achieved a better outcome! It also doesn't mean that everything they did was wrong!

The GOP approach to these things - "Whatever they did, do the opposite!" is not a good one! Not that the Clinton campaign didn't do a ton of shit wrong, but you have to correct the right things. Clinton losing doesn't mean that nominating Sanders would have achieved a better outcome!

So, you think that Sanders would have done worse than Clinton with the youth vote?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think the youth vote tbh, but I also think that cutting into Clinton's shitty rural numbers is necessary given the Senate and Electoral College.

My counterpoint is that we've been trying to get the youth vote for decades and its got a spotty track record at best. It really does seem like you need an Obama level charismatic person

My counterpoint is that we've been trying to get the youth vote for decades and its got a spotty track record at best. It really does seem like you need an Obama level charismatic person

I don't think Corbyn or Bernie are really that charismatic, but they come off with an air of authenticity that Gore, Hillary, and to a certain extent, Kerry, lacked.

or a candidate that offers policies they like and support

which people like to neglect that Obama did

this 2

kirblar

So, you think that Sanders would have done worse than Clinton with the youth vote?
I think he would have done worse than Clinton in the vote vote. Any potential gains from increased youth turnout are probably counteracted elsewhere, because the populist protectionist is going to have a hard time matching up against the racist populist protectionist.
The joke has always been that any candidate relying on the youth to turn out has already lost.

I think he would have done worse than Clinton in the vote vote. Any potential gains from increased youth turnout are probably counteracted elsewhere, because the populist protectionist is going to have a hard time matching up against the racist populist protectionist.

Do you think that Bernie would've done worse than Hillary with the youth vote.

Well shit, add Jr to the Flynn/Manafort pile of completely fucked.

I thought this was going to be a text to confirm my date tonight but it's better.

DEapMFTV0AEhJd2.jpg

This lock screen is judging me

chadskin

Let's recap: Trump Jr. KNEW Russia was trying to help them and there's an EMAIL saying as much.

Trump Sr. must know about it, like there's no way Junior didn't tell daddy about it.

Obama in 2008: I oppose sending you to die while letting your future crumble because we need to spend a trillion dollars on a brutal failed war, unlike my opponents

Democrats: wow, how could we possibly replicate this sort of unique appeal to the young

Crocodile

Sanders didn't vote for the Iraq War. That was good. That doesn't change the fact that his FP chops were SEVERELY LACKING. Are we pretending they weren't?

Considering how much of Sanders positions wound up in Clinton's platform, what positions were left that both didn't make in and were realistically feasible in the near term? I'm always wary of politicians promising the moon (see how well it is working for Trump).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Obama in 2008: I oppose sending you to die while letting your future crumble because we need to spend a trillion dollars on a brutal failed war, unlike my opponents

Democrats: wow, how could we possibly replicate this sort of unique appeal to the young

Like Kirblar I'm still salty about 2000. I get that the people who were youth then are very much not youth now but the disaffection that consistently results in lower youth turnout going back consistently until at least 1964 could quite possible have altered two of the most pivotal elections in the history of the country. I don't think youth vote cost us either of those elections but if we had our shit together history could be different

General thoughts on the subject, not intended as a reply to any person in particular.

Obviously once Clinton won the primaries she had to be the nominee. Superdelegates overturning the results would be a slap in the face to key Democratic constituencies, particularly black voters.

Her platform was mostly good but also pretty damn uninspiring. I get that she's a wonk and that Congress was going to be a problem, but I still can't think of one thing she ran on that could reasonably be called a big idea.

It also didn't help that she hardly ran on policy at all, instead focusing on a "Trump is bad" message. Negative campaigning works, but it can't be all you do, because then people are going to feel like they're being told to vote for you by default.

Clinton was always going to have credibility issues due to literally decades of baggage. Some of that came from Bill's administration (crime bill, welfare), some from her time in the Senate (Iraq War), and, yes, a bunch from the Republican Hate Machine. Whatever context much of that baggage has, it was a real problem for the campaign.

Should young left-leaning voters who stayed home or voted third party have voted for Clinton despite whatever problems they had with her? Of course! I think she would have been a good president and seriously, the alternative was Trump. And I have always argued (and stand by) the notion that as an individual what you can control is your vote and there's no use complaining about how you can't vote for the perfect candidate. At the same time, the party's job is to put forward a candidate people want to vote for, and there's no use on their part of complaining about how people won't vote for them.

Sanders didn't vote for the Iraq War. That was good. That doesn't change the fact that his FP chops were SEVERELY LACKING. Are we pretending they weren't?

Considering how much of Sanders positions wound up in Clinton's platform, what positions were left that both didn't make in and were realistically feasible in the near term? I'm always wary of politicians promising the moon (see how well it is working for Trump).
Sanders foreign policy wasn't great but Hillary's foreign policy was absurdly awful, support for the brutal apartheid in Israel, eagerness to get involved in another war in the Middle East. She views Kissinger's worldview positively!

Sanders was flawed but Hillary's foreign policy is her absolute worst quality and she was the absolute worst possible foreign policy candidate for a left party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom