• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 2m2 minutes ago

My son Donald did a good job last night. He was open, transparent and innocent. This is the greatest Witch Hunt in political history. Sad!

DEhw_gqXUAUYD4q.jpg:large

Doin' it right y'all

Crocodile

"DTJr is Innocent!"

*Documents are public that show he did it*

"Never trust anonymous sources!"

*DTJr is the source since he released the e-mails*

LOL

"DTJr is Innocent!"

LOL

Yea, NYT kinda slam dunked that story, considering their source is the same guy they are claiming did something incredibly shadey...

Zolo

"DTJr is Innocent!"

LOL

Yeah. He's using his standard go-to phrases for his followers, but they don't really apply for this story.

PBY

Banned
Yeah. He's using his standard go-to phrases for his followers, but they don't really apply for this story.

Does it matter?

I've lost faith in anything happening. GOP is dead silent on this, and probably will continue to be until this blows over. This is the first time I've started to think the "nothing will happen" contingent may just be right. Trump is just moonwalking through this.

Siegcram

Does it matter?

I've lost faith in anything happening. GOP is dead silent on this, and probably will continue to be until this blows over. This is the first time I've started to think the "nothing will happen" contingent may just be right. Trump is just moonwalking through this.
Totally. He's just getting shit done left and right in spite all of this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Does it matter?

Again: Watergate investigation took multiple years.

PBY

Banned
https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/885099294193307648

New poll about healthcare. 46% of Trump supporters say republicans should work with democrats on fixing health care. Surprising.

Your posts indicate that you actually don't. The republicans supported Nixon until major stuff came out.

You don't think that email qualifies as "major stuff"? You're just assuming more stuff will inevitably come out - we don't know if there's anything else.

Our institutions are just broken.

Incidentally - I'm reading the Hunter S Thompson account of the Nixon 72 campaign. Highly recommended, although its HST so buyer beware.

You don't think that email qualifies as "major stuff"? You're just assuming more stuff will inevitably come out - we don't know if there's anything else.

Have some faith and patience instead of immediately jumping to this, jeez.

Exactly, we don't know if there's anything else. We're not the ones doing the investigation here!

Besides, the GOP incriminating Trump isn't exactly what's being banked on here.

I don't have faith in our institutions. That's the problem.

Well, you should.

Because you're not smarter than them and neither am I.

So stop thinking that you are.

Your institutions are what got Mueller investigating this thing in the first place.

The smoking gun comes when the smoking gun comes. Until then you play the waiting game and use this entire facade to your political advantage and never let up with it.

You never give up. You wait.

Honestly I feel like most of the "Nothing will come of this Crowd" are just looking for smug forum vindication. They think by cherry-picking random quotes and constantly spamming talking points at every step in this whole debacle means they're smarter than everyone else and it's so infuriating to read.

Don't get suckered into the mindset of those people.

Like, do you see the House and Senate Dems screaming "THIS IS THE SMOKING GUN THIS IS THE SMOKING GUN WE NEED TO IMPEACH NOOOOW!!!"?

Also remember that Mueller's team can put charges on people. They haven't done that yet and he's still putting together his team.

People really need to stop looking at news stories and yelling about how it's the smoking gun and immediately discrediting everything without actually thinking about everything.

besada

Banned
Great article and gathering of info by ProPublica, as usual. Someone should do a thread.

https://www.propublica.org/article/what-we-know-and-dont-know-about-hate-crimes-in-america

The FBI, which is required to track hate crimes, counts between 5,000 and 6,000 of them annually. But the Bureau of Justice Statistics estimates the total is closer to 250,000. One explanation for the gap is that many victims — more than half, according to a recent estimate — don’t report what happened to them to police.

Even if they do, law enforcement agencies aren’t all required to report to the FBI, meaning their reports might never make it into the national tally. The federal government is hardly a model of best practices; many federal agencies don’t report their data, either — even though they’re legally required to do so.

Wilsongt

Not that badly; it looks like it's still mostly people using it sincerely to me...

I was just thinking this morning about how much I miss Obama. Like a child whose parents just went through a bad divorce and the mother's new boyfriend is a narcissistic, tiny handed, ego maniac who calls you a Fake Child constantly.

Ernest

Banned
Again: Watergate investigation took multiple years.

As I stated earlier, people have been shouting, "Watergate Watergate Watergate!" as if the GOP hasn't learned from that scandal. You should be looking to Iran-Contra instead, where a designated scapegoat took the fall for everyone in exchange for a slap on the wrist and a lucrative media career. DTJ is the new Ollie North.

The only similarity with Watergate is that after Trump is out of office, the GOP will denounce him as a RINO. The Party cannot fail, only be failed. So as long as they're in charge "nothing will happen" with regards to Trump because the GOP will force nothing to happen.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As I stated earlier, people have been shouting, "Watergate Watergate Watergate!" as if the GOP hasn't learned from that scandal. You should be looking to Iran-Contra instead, where a designated scapegoat took the fall for everyone in exchange for a slap on the wrist and a lucrative media career. DTJ is the new Ollie North.

The only similarity with Watergate is that after Trump is out of office, the GOP will denounce him as a RINO. The Party cannot fail, only be failed. So as long as they're in charge "nothing will happen" with regards to Trump because the GOP will force nothing to happen.

I guess I'm not seeing how "learning from that scandal" has anything to do with what is happening here, especially since we're nowhere near as far into what appears to be an even worse scandal.

They are three different scandals. "Stupid Watergate" is funny shorthand for the Russia stuff but none of these are truly comparable in the specifics, to say nothing of us being very much still in the dark about the current one.

The current political climate is what it is for many different reasons.

Edit: what plinko said

Yup. Witch hunt. Despite the fact his son admitted of his own free will that this covert meeting happened, with the expectation that Russia would have dirt on Clinton. Nothing to see here, folks.

Seriously, the raw level of stupid in admitting as much as Jr did yesterday is just... beyond comprehension. Yeah, the media might have thrown the emails out anyway, but you could spin multiple levels of (stupid) plausible deniability and feign ignorance. But no, he just openly admitted to all of it. Idiot. There's no "source say" when your own damn son surrendered the info.

Plinko

Yup. Witch hunt. Despite the fact his son admitted of his own free will that this covert meeting happened, with the expectation that Russia would have dirt on Clinton. Nothing to see here, folks.

Seriously, the raw level of stupid in admitting as much as Jr did yesterday is just... beyond comprehension. Yeah, the media might have thrown the emails out anyway, but you could spin multiple levels of (stupid) plausible deniability and feign ignorance. But no, he just openly admitted to all of it. Idiot. There's no "source say" when your own damn son surrendered the info.

It's all just red meat for the far right base. They know those are the only people that they need to convince right now, and they know they are dumb enough to parrot those talking points.

KingK

Incidentally - I'm reading the Hunter S Thompson account of the Nixon 72 campaign. Highly recommended, although its HST so buyer beware.

Yup. People can keep shouting "Watergate Watergate!" as much as they want, as if something is guaranteed to happen eventually, but it's a bullshit comparison. The political situation is entirely different, republicans control all of Congress. More importantly, the voting populace (specifically republican voters) are more polarized and hooked on propaganda than ever. Trump would keep his 80+% approval among republicans even if he shot Mueller dead in the Oval on live TV. As long as Republican voters support him, there isn't a goddamn thing that will touch him.

That's funny, if the GOP somehow learned from Watergate, I doubt things would be progressing at the speed they have been. People call this "Stupid Watergate" for a reason.

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, I think the GOP learned from Watergate, but Trump's campaign operated well outside the GOP. They didn't have controls in place, like a regular national committee does.

Blader

Yup. People can keep shouting "Watergate Watergate!" as much as they want, as if something is guaranteed to happen eventually, but it's a bullshit comparison. The political situation is entirely different, republicans control all of Congress. More importantly, the voting populace (specifically republican voters) are more polarized and hooked on propaganda than ever. Trump would keep his 80+% approval among republicans even if he shot Mueller dead in the Oval on live TV. As long as Republican voters support him, there isn't a goddamn thing that will touch him.

A majority of Republicans believed Nixon shouldn't resign from office over Watergate three days before Nixon resigned from office over Watergate.

There's a NYMag piece that goes into this at length, but basically: the Democratic control of Congress is overstated as a factor in Nixon's downfall and Republicans were no more principled or ballsy then than they are now, only choosing to abandon Nixon when midterms started approaching and their seats were suddenly in jeopardy.

Does Trump even have 80% approval among Republicans anymore? Last I checked, the latest poll based on party ID had him at 23% percent disapproval among Republicans, a 7 point drop from the prior poll:

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...-sunk-white-voters-republicans-support-615787

Even still, Republican voter conversion is likely not going to happen often (unless you're Morning Joe), but each passing scandal makes it harder for Republican voters to turn out while theoretically galvanizing the Democratic base. Just because each scandal doesn't wipe out all the problems of the world does not mean we should be discouraged by it. Each scandal matters.

A majority of Republicans believed Nixon shouldn't resign from office over Watergate three days before Nixon resigned from office over Watergate.

There's a NYMag piece that goes into this at length, but basically: the Democratic control of Congress is overstated as a factor in Nixon's downfall and Republicans were no more principled or ballsy then than they are now, only choosing to abandon Nixon when midterms started approaching and their seats were suddenly in jeopardy.

This post is good. Thank you for sharing it.

Plinko

LOL Trump tweeted he has "very little time" to watch TV. The vast majority of his tweets are made immediately after a Fox News show talks about the exact same subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom