• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we only realistically have three and need to win all of them.

Oh well, even if we just win the House I'll still be partying. 50/50 Senate is the most I'm hoping for and that's still a clean sweep of everything we hold, NV (very possible) and AZ (ehhhhhhhhh).

Yeah, one of the problems is that same class of seats are up and we somehow managed to make a net gain in 2012 so there's just so little room to play offense. Actually we also gained seats in 2000 so that's three consecutive gains for the same class, which is ridiculous. Of course the election before that was the 1994 disaster.

Not to speak ill of the forum dead, but did we all just not realize it because Adam was so positive on him?
I dont think so. I can recall few posters who were constantly critical of him. I was livid at his trainwreck interview on Morning Joe too. But it's unfair to solely blame Mook for Hillary's loss.

Yaaaaaaaas CCM

https://thenevadaindependent.com/ar...to-block-hellers-choice-for-federal-judgeship

Democratic U.S. Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto has indicated she will block ex-GOP state Sen. Greg Brower from becoming a federal judge despite Republican Sen. Dean Heller’s support for the potential nomination , sources confirm.

Cortez Masto, who occasionally clashed with Brower when he was in the Legislature and in private practice and when she was attorney general, has said privately that she would not support him. Brower is in Washington, DC, as the FBI’s liaison to Congress. It is highly unusual for a senator from the same state to oppose the other’s choice for the bench.

Cortez Masto’s position comes despite Brower’s broad support, not just from the Trump Administration but from prominent Nevada Democrats, including former Govs. Bob Miller and Richard Bryan. Brower, I’m told, also has said he has the support of ex-Sen. Harry Reid, although Reid and Heller notably clashed over a previous federal judicial nomination that Heller blocked. And Reid is known to have a long memory.

Sources say Heller and Brower fear that Cortez Masto would return an unfavorable blue slip on Brower, which would all but scuttle his nomination. Blue slips are submitted by home-state senators to provide their opinion on a judicial nominee.

This comes amid DC chatter about Democrats blocking Trump administration judicial picks. And it hearkens back to 2012 when Heller refused to return the blue slip for Cadish after Reid got her nominated. Heller raised concerns about her support for the 2nd Amendment after an old questionnaire she filled out during a campaign surfaced. It would have been a break with tradition for the Senate to proceed without the affirmative blue slip, so her nomination died, leaving Reid furious.

UPDATED, 4 PM, 7/11/17:

Reid’s aide emails that the former senator declined to be interviewed, but provided this statement from him:

“This is not up to me. It is the job of a sitting U.S. senator. Senator Masto (sic) will determine how the U. S. Senate Democratic Caucus votes on this.”

jtb

Banned
Flake is very doable. He's too busy fending off a primary challenge that it's very possible he will have boxed himself in as too conservative.

Finding that third Senator is basically a suicide mission, though. I like Beto O'Rourke though, and I love that he's out there early.

Maengun1

It also feels sort of weird to not have a realistic shot at the Senate for the first time in years.

I'm going to continue being hopelessly optimistic here, it's too upsetting to think we could have a big enough wave to take back the house but the GOP could still get another 2 years to potentially pack the SC. I want payback for Obama so, so, so, so bad.

wutwutwut

I'm going to continue being hopelessly optimistic here, it's too upsetting to think we could have a big enough wave to take back the house but the GOP could still get another 2 years to potentially pack the SC. I want payback for Obama so, so, so, so bad.
If Trump doesn't get impeached and appoints 2-3 judges yet is obviously illegitimate, and the Dems get a filibuster proof majority in 2020, they should shamelessly pack the Supreme Court by adding more judges. All possible gloves are off then.

Barzul

Running for president
You think Kander is going to run for Pres? He has the right profile but his lack of experience will his cripple him. I know Trump happened but he had the excuse of not being in politics ever and pretty high name recognition. Kander needs to find a way to get himself to congress or be elected Governor.

Flake is very doable. He's too busy fending off a primary challenge that it's very possible he will have boxed himself in as too conservative.

Finding that third Senator is basically a suicide mission, though. I like Beto O'Rourke though, and I love that he's out there early.
Beto O'Rourke is extremely promising. I'd tilt odds in his favor at this moment.

I just wish that Beto O'Rourke hadn't kneecapped himself by eschewing big-money donations. Yes, yes, principles, but in an anti-Republican year, nobody will care where he gets his money. Just be bland white man handsome and charismatic and run a good campaign.

Barzul

Beto O'Rourke is extremely promising. I'd tilt odds in his favor at this moment.
Isn't he the guy challenging Cruz? Texas electing a Democrat to the Senate? Can't see it especially after the Justice Department signs off on gutting voting rights in that state.

Isn't he the guy challenging Cruz? Texas electing a Democrat to the Senate? Can't see it especially after the Justice Department signs off on gutting voting rights in that state.
Cruz will undoubtedly hurt himself with his spearheaded effort on McConnellcare.

royalan

Besides, what is Kander doing to broaden his appeal? Anything?

Almost winning a Senate seat and doing some speaking engagements doesn't exactly elevate you to "Everybody knows your name" status. Kander's name recognition is nowhere near even 2004 Obama (who took off nationally in a big way after his convention speech), and definitely pales in comparison to the other people we know are considering running.

But all this is moot because I'd really be surprised if this were something he were even considering.

jtb

Banned
I just wish that Beto O'Rourke hadn't kneecapped himself by eschewing big-money donations. Yes, yes, principles, but in an anti-Republican year, nobody will care where he gets his money. Just be bland white man handsome and charismatic and run a good campaign.

Look at Ossoff. It's very possible he won't need it.

He's helped by the fact that there are so few pickup opportunities. Flipping Texas is sexy. Sending Manchin money is not lol

Maybe. But unless the Democrats find a way to really increase Latino turnout, I'm a bit skeptical.
Good thing Beto is fluent in Spanish and can draw huge crowds too.

There was a poll from some no-name firm that polled Cruz recently (I think it was posted here too), where Castro was beating Cruz by 4 points and Beto was in dead heat. The poll may be junk but the takeaway is that Cruz is not as strong as say Cornyn.

Beto won't win.

But it's a good thing he's running because he'll help House Dems and he'll help build the necessary infrastructure in Texas that Michelle Nunn and Jon Ossoff did in Georgia.

Dems probably need an open seat in Texas to win statewide IMO.

Beto won't win.

But it's a good thing he's running because he'll help House Dems and he'll help build the necessary infrastructure in Texas that Michelle Nunn and Jon Ossoff did in Georgia.

Dems probably need an open seat in Texas to win statewide IMO.
No one likes Cruz so that could present its own opportunity.

I agree though O'Rourke probably isn't winning. I'd say (right at this moment) we have a 50% chance to beat Heller, 30% or thereabouts to beat Flake and 5% to beat Cruz with every other race being minuscule.

But you met in the middle with her, right?
Well, we both voted for Robert Byrd, but probably for different reasons.
Forever ago, when I lived in Cleveland, a Democrat told me she liked it better when there was segregation (she was very old).
Old school Democrat! See above.
Not a total shock, they were CCed to him after all. I wonder if it was a ploy to help Kushner somehow, or just a lawyer playing Deep Throat.
After discovering the emails, Kushner's lawyers had to amend the security clearance forms he'd already filed. They would be derelict as his attorneys if they hadn't. They probably leaked it to keep the focus on Jr.

Goldberg says he's been working on the story for a year. Did he know of the email this whole time, or just that the meeting happened?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think the reporters only knew that the meetings happened, not that there would be damning email evidence.

Fun thought, Manafort turned over "All" his documents about Russia to Congress a while back. I bet you this email wasn't included in them though, and is likely going to then raise the question of "Why", and could spiral into its own issue, especially if they get the raw files and can check the entire chain of the emails. I guess a charges for destroying evidence is small potatoes compared to the charges that come with conspiring with a foreign government to influence the election though.

If O'Rourke wants to win staying away from big money and painting Ted as a corporate clown who is only using the Texas senate seat to run for POTUS is probably the only way to do it.

Like that line about someone gets thrown around so much but with Ted it's so obvious. Dude so desperately wants to be POTUS.

But it's also why I don't think he'll lose. Ted is too good at this. I can't see him losing. He'll cover every inch of the state if he has to. His win in Iowa I think shows he has ground game skills if he has anything. Hard for me to imagine this O'Rourke guy will match him there.

If O'Rourke wants to win staying away from big money and painting Ted as a corporate clown who is only using the Texas senate seat to run for POTUS is probably the only way to do it.

Like that line about someone gets thrown around so much but with Ted it's so obvious. Dude so desperately wants to be POTUS.

But it's also why I don't think he'll lose. Ted is too good at this. I can't see him losing. He'll cover every inch of the state if he has to. His win in Iowa I think shows he has ground game skills if he has anything. Hard for me to imagine this O'Rourke guy will match him there.

Ted Cruz reminds me of every wheedling Baptist preacher I've ever met. At any moment I expect him to exclaim, "And have YOU given your life to CHRIST?" and pass around a collections bucket.

Does anyone have that political cartoon handy where it shows what America would be like without presidential term limits? It goes from Bill Clinton to Dubya, back to Bill, then to Jeb, back to Bill, then to the Bush twins and back to Bill again. And Bill keeps getting impeached over his affairs including one with the Bush twins while passing universal healthcare and legal pot.

Does anyone have that political cartoon handy where it shows what America would be like without presidential term limits? It goes from Bill Clinton to Dubya, back to Bill, then to Jeb, back to Bill, then to the Bush twins and back to Bill again. And Bill keeps getting impeached over his affairs including one with the Bush twins while passing universal healthcare and legal pot.

Is it the one who drinks?

Trick question, that could be either.

Teggy

The absolutely-has-no-connection-to-the-Russian-govt lawyer just by pure coincidence in the front row at a Foreign Affairs Committee hearing of the American ambassador to Russia in 2016.

DEdbH3KWAAEpOhS

The absolutely-has-no-connection-to-the-Russian-govt lawyer just by pure coincidence in the front row at a Foreign Affairs Committee hearing of the American ambassador to Russia in 2016.

I mean, that's obviously a hot ticket. Look at that pic, everyone is having the time of their lives! You can't knock her for wanting to be a part of that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh yeah, apparently that Russian Lawyer lady got in the country illegally too. Her visa expired in January 2016, and the request to renew it was declined. Yet, she was still at the meeting.

I think the only solution here is to ban all travel from persons incoming from Russia. They're clearly up to no good. A lawyer with an expired visa and a media mogul who has a paper trail of creepy social media and borderline pedophilia? Sad!

What's so dumb about this is wikileaks, /r/t_d, and the other usual places are running with this photo as if she's "with" Amb. McFaul and this is supposed to imply Obama had a hand in setting up the Trump meeting.....

(She's probably there because of the Magnitsky Act. The director of the anti-Act film she's supporting is seated behind her, and Dana Rohrabacher (remember him?) inserted some statements from him into the hearing notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom